IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

1 hour ago, acatala said:

This afternoon, I tried it againg. The inital state was the same:   DAC/Preamp off, NAA off, HQPayer on. Power on DAC and then power on NAA. This time the first attempt (at 17:13) failed and second attempt (at 17:14) worked.

I have attached an excerpt from the hqplayerd.log with the last entries from this morning and the entries from this afternoon.

17:13 failed

17:14 worked

In the first case it is not yet connected to the NAA, or it has not noticed that the NAA has ever disappeared. When you shut down NAA it should go into rediscovery loop indicated also in the log file telling once per second that it is looking for the NAA. It takes about two minutes before it should notice that NAA has disappeared.

Is the NAA shut down properly?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

9 minutes ago, ppy said:

Reboot problem solved:

After=rc-local.service roonserver.service networking.service ssh.service network-online.target sound.target systemd-udev-settle.service

And set the IPV4 mode in the HQPlayer settings.

What OS are you using? This doesn't look anything like the .service files I ship for the supported OS...

Debian 9.9

I added these records on my own, so that HQP would start later.
rc-local.service roonserver.service networking.service ssh.service

But I was happy early 🙁 Successful loading was only once. Now again, HQP does not see the network when it boots.

Manual restart of the service corrects the problem.

hqplayerd.log

DSD DAC DSC2http://puredsd.ru

22 minutes ago, ppy said:

Debian 9.9

I added these records on my own, so that HQP would start later.
rc-local.service roonserver.service networking.service ssh.service

But I was happy early 🙁 Successful loading was only once. Now again, HQP does not see the network when it boots.

Manual restart of the service corrects the problem.

Do you have network configured through /etc/network/interfaces file? Are you running one with a desktop environment? The default one should work fine for server installs without GUI and relying on interfaces(5) for network configuration.

Debian in minimal configuration and without GUI.

root@Roon:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug enp2s0
iface enp2s0 inet dhcp

39 minutes ago, Miska said:

In the first case it is not yet connected to the NAA, or it has not noticed that the NAA has ever disappeared. When you shut down NAA it should go into rediscovery loop indicated also in the log file telling once per second that it is looking for the NAA. It takes about two minutes before it should notice that NAA has disappeared.

Is the NAA shut down properly?

The NAA is shutdown with power off button from the PSU, so the hard way. The NAA images, as far as I know, has not SSH server. Should I use then the reset button in the UP Gateway in order to launch a proper shut down process?

3 minutes ago, ppy said:

Debian in minimal configuration and without GUI.

Strange... network-online.target should do the trick. systemd-networkd and NetworkManager have corresponding "wait-online" services, but in this case neither one should be in use. My difference though is that I have static IP's for all servers, so no DHCP. That's where the wait-online makes difference, because only that one waits for DHCP to complete.

I'm not sure how hard it is to switch Debian to use systemd-networkd, I've only done it for Fedora so far...

HQPlayer OS uses systemd-networkd solely.

7 minutes ago, acatala said:

The NAA is shutdown with power off button from the PSU, so the hard way. The NAA images, as far as I know, has not SSH server. Should I use then the reset button in the UP Gateway in order to launch a proper shut down process?

UP gateway has a power button, but you need some small stick to press it if you have their default steel/aluminum black passive cooled case. That will initiate proper shutdown (and power up again). At least then it won't go missing silently. HQPlayer has keepalives enabled which should do the trick anyway within about two minutes of device disappearing...

7 minutes ago, Miska said:

Strange... network-online.target should do the trick. systemd-networkd and NetworkManager have corresponding "wait-online"

HQPlayer OS uses systemd-networkd solely.

When I find a solution, I will publish it.

I think this is not support HQPlayer. This is an OS issue.

21 minutes ago, Miska said:

UP gateway has a power button, but you need some small stick to press it if you have their default steel/aluminum black passive cooled case. That will initiate proper shutdown (and power up again). At least then it won't go missing silently. HQPlayer has keepalives enabled which should do the trick anyway within about two minutes of device disappearing...

This is a new log file. The state this time is as follows:

DAC/Preamp in standby mode -> On

NAA On. It has not been powered off. It's on from this afternoon

HQPlayer On.

The NAA remained powered on, but the DAC went into standby this afternoon and on again now.

Again,  fist attempt failed (entries at 21:38) and second attempt worked (entries at 21:39).

Should I also power the NAA off (shutdown process) before powering off / standing by the DAC?

hqplayerd.log

10 minutes ago, acatala said:

The NAA remained powered on, but the DAC went into standby this afternoon and on again now.

Again,  fist attempt failed (entries at 21:38) and second attempt worked (entries at 21:39).

Should I also power the NAA off (shutdown process) before powering off / standing by the DAC?

It could help, some DACs unfortunately mess with the USB when they go standby. Then ALSA fails when rug is pulled under the feet (disappears while in use).  While they should keep the USB controller powered as long as VBUS on the USB is on. For example Holo Audio DACs and at least some Schiit devices operate correctly and the USB stays alive as long as VBUS is there even if the device is otherwise standby.

11 hours ago, Miska said:

The overall consumption largely depends on what is going on and what is connected to the USB and how much it draws. Typical symptoms of too weak PSU are unexpected reboots and USB devices experiencing unexpected disconnects. Or just the computer or a USB device getting frozen. 

Agree. In my case, USB DAC is not 5V bus powered. And there's no other USB devices hanging off my UP Gateway, so that's probably why 1A is fine for me. I never had a single freezing or reboot or disconnect with 5V 1A powerbank powering it.

3 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

Almost the same, model GSM60B05-P1J instead, which has two pole power connector, so it doesn't connect earth. I think that picture is of B model...

It is rated <50µA leakage current.

33 minutes ago, Miska said:

Almost the same, model GSM60B05-P1J instead, which has two pole power connector, so it doesn't connect earth. I think that picture is of B model...

It is rated <50µA leakage current.

thank you, I would have assumed that connecting earth would be better ; in the case of my Mac I have pierced the wall and wired with ground or otherwise I get micro electric shocks etc.

So, to make sure I understand you correctly, you DO recommend NO ground ; is that correct ?

1 hour ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

thank you, I would have assumed that connecting earth would be better ; in the case of my Mac I have pierced the wall and wired with ground or otherwise I get micro electric shocks etc.

So, to make sure I understand you correctly, you DO recommend NO ground ; is that correct ?

It depends on your overall setup. Remember that ground is one path between components. So depending on setup you may or may not want that earth connection. So that you don't accidentally get ground currents between the devices over audio cables.

As long as you use unshielded (UTP) Ethernet cable, Ethernet gives you ground isolation, so you don't need to think across the network connection link. Then you have two separate grounding topologies; one at the source side and other one at the audio system side.

Point of the medical grade PSUs is that they don't have the leakage currents that would give you those electric shocks. Running unearthed power is like running off a battery.

14 hours ago, ppy said:

When I find a solution, I will publish it.

I think this is not support HQPlayer. This is an OS issue.

As it turned out, this startup issue in Debian exists if DHCP is used. I could not find the right solution.

Here is the schedule for loading my system. graph.zip It can be seen that HQPlayer starts after systemd-networkd-wait-online.service and network-online.target. But HQP doesn't work anyway.

I had to do not elegant but very simple:

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStartPre=/bin/sleep 5
ExecStart=/usr/bin/hqplayerd
Restart=always
RestartSec=2
EnvironmentFile=-/etc/default/hqplayerd
User=hqplayer
Nice=-10
IOSchedulingClass=realtime
LimitMEMLOCK=1G
LimitNICE=-10
LimitRTPRIO=98

56 minutes ago, Miska said:

It depends on your overall setup. Remember that ground is one path between components. So depending on setup you may or may not want that earth connection. So that you don't accidentally get ground currents between the devices over audio cables.

As long as you use unshielded (UTP) Ethernet cable, Ethernet gives you ground isolation, so you don't need to think across the network connection link. Then you have two separate grounding topologies; one at the source side and other one at the audio system side.

Point of the medical grade PSUs is that they don't have the leakage currents that would give you those electric shocks. Running unearthed power is like running off a battery.

thank you for those thorough explanations !

I hope that I dig them well : I am to order unearthed

1) to be honest,  to do as you do

2) I might think wrong but as I interpret it it fits my topology : Pre, Phono Pre, TEAC are grounded ; amps inside the active speakers are not. the first thing the Up will see is the USB Regen which MeanWell PSU is not and they will be connected by USB Supra cable to go inside the grounded TEAC.

For example the iFi iPower and most wallwarts are not grounded, but floating. So the floating power brick is more similar to those ones.

Laptop PSUs vary. My Lenovo is grounded, while Acer is not... Apple has both grounded (with a cord) and non-grounded (plugs straight in) plugs for their laptop PSUs...

4 hours ago, ppy said:

As it turned out, this startup issue in Debian exists if DHCP is used. I could not find the right solution.

Here is the schedule for loading my system. graph.zip It can be seen that HQPlayer starts after systemd-networkd-wait-online.service and network-online.target. But HQP doesn't work anyway.

I had to do not elegant but very simple:

Debian doesn't use systemd-networkd at all, but ships the service files etc. So the systemd-networkd-wait-online.service has no effect. However, if you switch to do network configuration through systemd-networkd instead of default Debian way, the systemd-networkd-wait-online.service will actually wait for the DHCP to finish...

Posted this on HQPlayer by mistake, it belongs here.

Listening to the new modulators now, can only do DSD128 with 7EC but I am pleasantly surprised, more by the fact that Jussi knowing how improved the modulators are haven't praised these too much publicly leaving the feedback to the community. 

I was exclusively doing straight PCM, not because HQPlayer is bad but because with my specific system (dac speakers etc) PCM is very detailed which I like, now I hate to have to accept this but software algorhtym alone may have improved over the dacs transistor ladder. I'm testing poli mqa mp 1x and nx, I can only imagine how other filters and DSD512 may sound. The modulator clarity and separation and noise it's amazing 

Last but certainly not least the algorhtym is someone's creation after much experience in this field, very well done sir, IMO this makes more of difference than filters when fed with high quality source content.