Quick update on my system

So many things are going on now,

I just installed two 20Amp dedicated lines with gauge 10 Romex wire (the electrician thought I am crazy!) and Furutech GTX-R NCF receptacles. It took almost 6 hours to fish the wire through my walls and the electricina didn't believe himself when I told him to install the new breakers away from the washing machine and dryer breakers:) He said he has been in the business for 16 yrs but never met someone obsessed like me before :) I took it as a complement.

Now I have the Naim gear plugged to one line and my JS-2 and VR Mini plugged to the second line.

I also moved my system from between the speakers into the side wall, close to where I sit.

I upgraded the Oyaide DC adpater that I did with a Furutech FA220 OCC copper Gauge 14 (vs cheapo wire gauge 22) and Mundorf supreme silver/gold solder

I also received the grounding box and a Vbus 2 on loan from a generous CA member.

Soon, I will get the BK 1604A IT and the AQVOX switch, but for now I am too busy evaluating too many upgrades.

For the grounding box, till I get the switch, I will try grounding the Nimitra or the DAC, what do you think @Cornan?

I just want to plug each gadget one at a time to evaluate its contribution.

Now I will let the romex wire, new breakers and receptacles burn in and the whole system settle for a few days before any critical listening. One quick evaluation, the system sounded incredibly transparent right after installing the new circuits (like upgrading a source or dac).Then I will start introducing the tweaks one at a time and keep you posted on my findings

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33739[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33740[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33738[/ATTACH]

Wow, you're on roll! Good stuff. As for the dedicated circuits, i did that a long time ago and it is a definite improvement, and i would also say that it doesn't need any 'burn in' time or won't really change over time in other words...it's instant gratification.

Awesome @moussaobeid! [emoji3]

It is the electrician that are crazy. You're good! [emoji6]

A grounding box needs a little experimenting to find out the best spot. I would start with the Nimitra (chassi ground or USB barrel at the output) and continue to the DAC where you should try chassi ground (chassi screw), digital ground (outer barrel of spdif) and analogue ground (outer barrel of RCA). Keep in mind that it will most likely improve further the following 24 hrs where it is connected, but you should clearly hear an immediate improvement on a good spot. Experiment & have fun! [emoji3]

A lot of fun stuff coming for you. It will be very exciting to hear what you'll find out! [emoji4]

BTW. Great soldering skills. Truly great! [emoji6]

Thanks I will follow your advice.

Re the soldering I have a friend who is an electronics technician and he taught me this weekend how to solder and resolder so yes my skills are good now :)

He told me that he hates soldering DC connectors and that usually this is not a beginner job :)

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Wow, you're on roll! Good stuff. As for the dedicated circuits, i did that a long time ago and it is a definite improvement, and i would also say that it doesn't need any 'burn in' time or won't really change over time in other words...it's instant gratification.

I think so too but I haven't had a chance to critically listen to my favourite tracks so will post soon on this

Thanks I will follow your advice.

Re the soldering I have a friend who is an electronics technician and he taught me this weekend how to solder and resolder so yes my skills are good now :)

He told me that he hates soldering DC connectors and that usually this is not a beginner job :)

I had problems when I soldered the new stock Oyiade DC plugs with thinner 18awg Furutech wires. Are you sure your friend did'nt solder them by accidence while teaching you the teqnique? ? Sorry, I am just jealous! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

Elijah Audio have just posted my new Regen link. It is 115cm (old one was 155cm) from tip to tip and have double runs of Mundorf gold silver (old one have single runs) with unbleached silk sleevings. Since the GND-lift have´nt proved to be efficiant in my main rig anymore this one actually have the Audience GND wire attached (but no 5v).

Looking forward to give it a try! :)

image002.jpg

image004.jpg

🎛️  Audio System  

I found something interesting on Paul Pang's website.

mmexport1484948774973.jpg

Quote from http://ppaproduct.blogspot.se/2015/07/audio-grade-switcher.html:

Double Run Connection is for 2 x TCXO switch or 2 x OCXO switch,

TCXO switch*+ OCXO switch is not recommend.

Single OCXO switch*is better than**TCXO switch*+ OCXO switch.

Sounds very familiar to what I am planning to do with my two identical D-Link DGS-105's, but with plain vanilla switches and clocks! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

I just plugged the grounding box to the Nimitra chassis and immediately the sound stage expanded outside my speakers. I used to have a wide stage but now it is wider with better clarity only after 1 min. I won't bother with experimenting the best location, this thing works and I will get a second box for the Brooklyn!

Thanks @Cornan!

I just plugged the grounding box to the Nimitra chassis and immediately the sound stage expanded outside my speakers. I used to have a wide stage but now it is wider with better clarity only after 1 min. I won't bother with experimenting the best location, this thing works and I will get a second box for the Brooklyn!

Thanks @Cornan!

Great to hear Moussa! I am truly happy you liked it! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

Thanks @Cornan!

Cool!

What grounding box did you get?

Hmm, now I'm tempted to buy one to try!

Rajiv,

Have you read about the car battery grounding box trick? Just run one cable from a device grounding lug to the negative terminal of a battery. I'm not even sure the battery needs to be charged.

There are "people that say" it achieves the same thing as a grounding box. I looked but can't find the article, but thought you may be interested. I've never tried it.

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

The system now is sounding simply magical!!! The dedicated lines are the best tweak I have ever done with the best return on investment.

My advice if you don't have a dedicated line just try to install one before throwing your cash on anything else. Naim is so fussy about power and grounding and they always recommend a dedicated line and no power conditioning at all, but I think it applies to other brands as well

The system now is sounding simply magical!!! The dedicated lines are the best tweak I have ever done with the best return on investment.

My advice if you don't have a dedicated line just try to install one before throwing your cash on anything else. Naim is so fussy about power and grounding and they always recommend a dedicated line and no power conditioning at all, but I think it applies to other brands

Hi Moussa,

Any tips or gotchas you've learned with your recent experience installing a dedicated power circuit? Since my setup is headphone only, my total power draw is maybe 100-150W max.

In my setup I don't have a "dedicated line" per se, but as it turns out the way my room is wired, I am able to isolate my system to be the only thing active in that circuit. By circuit, I mean controlled by a separate breaker.

Isn't this the moral equivalent of a dedicated circuit? Or is there more to it?

I did also replace the original outlet with a PSAudio PowerPort outlet too.

Rajiv,

Have you read about the car battery grounding box trick? Just run one cable from a device grounding lug to the negative terminal of a battery. I'm not even sure the battery needs to be charged.

There are "people that say" it achieves the same thing as a grounding box. I looked but can't find the article, but thought you may be interested. I've never tried it.

Larry

Here is a drawing of my own DIY battery grounding 4-5 years ago. Battery grounding works, but they are not even close to be as good as a grounding box with tourmaline stones IME.

9309a85b_Batterygroundtweak.png

Audio Direction LTD who invented this tweak seems to have close down their website. Anyway, my drawing tells pretty well how it is constructed. Use capacitors between 40000-100000 uF for best result.

🎛️  Audio System  

Hi Moussa,

Any tips or gotchas you've learned with your recent experience installing a dedicated power circuit? Since my setup is headphone only, my total power draw is maybe 100-150W max.

In my setup I don't have a "dedicated line" per se, but as it turns out the way my room is wired, I am able to isolate my system to be the only thing active in that circuit. By circuit, I mean controlled by a separate breaker.

I have circuits the same way as you austinpop. Not a truly dedicated circuit with audio grade ac mains cables. Just TV/router, main rig and secondary rig separated on separate circuits.

Here is a link to how PS Audio think it should be done: http://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/how-to-install-a-dedicated-ac-line/

🎛️  Audio System  

Second grounding box is on the way :)

Congratulation Moussa! Remember to atleast try one of them on your coming Aqvox switch-8! It will be very interesting to know if it makes the same or similar improvement on a high-end switch ;)

BTW. I ordered the IsoAcoustics L8R-130 for my active speakers today. I cannot be bothered to experiment anymore with speaker isolation.

🎛️  Audio System  

I used to have two rooms in my basement on one circuit breaker where one room is used as a music room. What I have been doing is disconnecting everything in these two rooms that's plugged to the mains. I used to have only my Hifi system connected, all lights are switched off (don't know if they still make noise when they are switched off as they are sill connected). I also thought that this is as good as a dedicated circuit.

Well, after I installed the two dedicated lines, I learned that I was wrong, don't why but probably many reasons, wire was gauge 14, with more than 4 or 5 outlets and light switches all connected to it.

Now I have gauge 10 going directly to the breaker panel.

The improvement is huge nothing comes close, I tried before using an Elgar 2.4KVA isolation transformer as a substitute then I sold it, didn't hear any difference. Now it's the 4th day and the system is sounding better everyday, so maybe burn in or the system is settling, not sure, but I am extremely happy :)

Hi Moussa,

Congratulation Moussa! Remember to atleast try one of them on your coming Aqvox switch-8! It will be very interesting to know if it makes the same or similar improvement on a high-end switch ;)

BTW. I ordered the IsoAcoustics L8R-130 for my active speakers today. I cannot be bothered to experiment anymore with speaker isolation.

Yes I will for sure, Congrats on the stands!