9 hours ago, Cornan said:

I just found a great deal on a pair of active speakers.

I ordered a pair of Gibson Les Paul 8 Cherry B-stock for EUR 736.-/ pair. 

https://www.thomann.de/se/gibson_lp8_cherry_b_stock_2.htm?sid=462b11ea5ac549095f336ea59b537a3f

5a4356604ab9a_highres_gibsonlespaul8cherryemusic1.thumb.jpg.3352314bf940a508155e0d205e0ff4dc.jpg

The LP8 have got great reviews.

I just love the looks of these beauties! :) 

Next up is to sell off the AVR setup plus Monkey Banana Turbo 5s and start looking for a suitable PSU for the Brooklyn DAC. Paul Hynes SR4?

Congrats Cornan.

I get quite nostaltic as I played electric gutar on an Gibson Les Paul vintage 1975 among others when I was younger :)

Hope you report on the LP8.

I’ve been looking on active speakers for a while now, but haven’t decided yet.

Regards Monge

7 minutes ago, Monge said:

Congrats Cornan.

I get quite nostaltic as I played electric gutar on an Gibson Les Paul vintage 1975 among others when I was younger :)

Hope you report on the LP8.

I’ve been looking on active speakers for a while now, but haven’t decided yet.

Regards Monge

Thanks Monge! ?

I always wanted a real Gibson Les Paul guitar, but only ended up with a copy that I had for a few years before changing it to the semi acoustic guitar I now own. I still haven't learned how to play it. I am more of a wannabe when it comes to real guitars! ? 

I was almost 90% sure that I would buy the KEF LS50 wireless, but after I started to think how I would connect them I realised that I would end up just as complicated as with wired. So, when I saw these beauties to a great deal and read a bunch of reviews I couldn't stop myself. My wannabe genes just needed them badly! ?

I will report back as soon as I have received them and played them for a while. Apperently they need seriousl burn-in to bloom.

Micael

🎛️  Audio System  

For a while before I ordered the Gibson LP8 reference monitors I was looking at Omega speakers plus tube mono amps. Now when I have ordered the Gibson I have turned my attention to solutions that might add some tube warmth to the speaker setup. First I looked towards tube buffers, but the very few that have XLR in and out was way too expensive for my pockets. While looking I found this parametic tube equalizer that caught my attention. 

KlarkTeknik EQP-KT

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Klark-Teknik-EQP-KT-Classic-Tube-Equalizer/27QI

EQP-KT_P0BR4_Right_L.thumb.png.4193e432edcf61b4acc818db5bb7e6e2.png

Reading about it and seeing how it is constructed have made me very curious how two of them might sound connected to each active speaker? Roughly EUR599/pair is quite valuable as well. 

5a4655df77d36_KTEQPGutShot.thumb.png.accb9ce605ee37db543dd9539c1b8a20.png

https://media.music-group.com/media/PLM/data/docs/P0BR4/EQP-KT_QSG_WW.pdf

I wonder if there is anyone that have any first hand experience in using tube equalizers like this one or Warm Audio dito?

I am very close to take a chance on them, but would appreciate if anyone knows anything about them that could be helpful? 

🎛️  Audio System  

1 minute ago, Monge said:

Happy New Year to you and everyone else.

Tonight I’ll be drinking very good redwine and champagne :)

I Think the Klark Teknik EQP-KT is a Pultec EQ clone.

i made a very good deal on a brand new 1m QED Reference Audio 40 RCA-RCA yesterday

http://www.qed.co.uk/audio_interconnects/xlr/reference_audio_40.html

I couldn’t resist it for 100 $ incl. shipping.

Regards Monge

Happy New Year! ?

Yes, the EQP-KT is a Pulteq EQ clone in a modern package. I am still thinking about it, but will wait for the Gibson to arrive before deciding anything.

Great deal! QED Reference Audio 40 is an aswesome coxial cable IMO. I am totally sure that you will be satisfied. Enjoy! ?

Kind regards,

Micael

🎛️  Audio System  

Looks like the Klark Teknik EQP-KT project will have to wait for a little while. I just ordered Stammheim's last single ps 3A board for my main router. I will also get a pair of matched 12v/1A boards from another member that I will parallel, play around with & tweak for the fun of it. It will be interesting to see how it compares to Stammheim's beauty now when warning flags have been raised by John Swenson about using two boards in parallel. That only makes it more fun. I love challenges with obstacles! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

18 minutes ago, Monge said:

Seems that the good deals comes to me right now.

I just bought 2 of these cables 2 hand for under 33$

http://www.8audio-mall.com/reference-grade-rca-interconnection-cable/

They are intended for a secondary setup.

I have heard the cable before  comparing to DH Labs Air Matrix and I preferred the 8Audio Cable.

Great find of a really nice looking cable! ??

Do report back how it compares to the QED Reference Audio 40! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

I got all 3 sets of cables today. I bought them In my homecountry. Now I am testing the QED Reference Audio 40 and I’m already satisfied with what I hear.

Great stereoperspektive and very fine treble ang tight bas. Instruments just sound like they should In real. Remarkable black background.

This is my very first impressions.

I wich I had a Cable burnin CD.

Now I’m looking for new speakercables. Maybe QED signature Revalation or some DH labs.

When the QED have burned In, I’ll change to 8audio Cable.

Regards Monge

1 minute ago, Monge said:

I got all 3 sets of cables today. I bought them In my homecountry. Now I am testing the QED Reference Audio 40 and I’m already satisfied with what I hear.

Great stereoperspektive and very fine treble ang tight bas. Instruments just sound like they should In real. Remarkable black background.

This is my very first impressions.

I wich I had a Cable burnin CD.

Now I’m looking for new speakercables. Maybe QED signature Revalation or some DH labs.

When the QED have burned In, I’ll change to 8audio Cable.

Regards Monge

Great to hear Monge! I love QEDs coaxial cables myself! ?

Looking forward to see how it compares to the 8audio cable.

When it comes to speaker cables I can recommend that you look for second hand Transparent MusicWave Plus (older model). The best speaker cables I ever owned (sold them when I started with active speakers). I have'nt heard QED Signature Revalation though, so I don't know how they compare. 

post-60896-0-77100000-1425083225.thumb.jpg.332b64d19e377f21fe9b40bd035c4495.jpg

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, Monge said:

Last Night I tried the 8audio Cable. What a surprice It is revealing, dynamic and punchy with a very nice bottom.

Negative: the rca plugs are quite big but lockable and the the Cable needs Place.

I think the Sound could do with a little more air In the ekstreme top.

I think this Cable is Extreme value for what I gave for it $ 33 for two 1 m stereo set.

Is it better than QED Reference Audio 40? No it isn’t IMO.

The QED is a very Nice sounding Cable. Very balanced all the Way from bottom to top with Rich harmonics. Totally satisfied with the QED and the plugs are very nice.

The 8Audio goes to a secondary setup. 

Regards Monge

Thanks for sharing Monge! Great to hear that the QED hold it's ground even though the 8Audio put up a good fight! ? 

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, tapatrick said:

Hi Micael, I could post this on the other threads as this overlaps what is going on there but as our systems are similar in some ways I thought to post here..:). 

As promised I've got some feedback on my system with the Paul Hynes SR4 (with DC3SXLR silver DC cable) which I have been trying out in different configurations in place of my modded Teradak DC30W. It betters the modded Teradak with LT3045s, but still it is a bargain and holds its own very well against the SR4. I burnt in the SR4 for a week in place of the Gophert powering my Router and could not distinguish a difference between it and the SR4 in this position, which isn't surprising as its before the Aqvox switch. Shows what a bargain the Gopherts are at £45.

Up front in my opinion the SR4 is a high quality Linear PSU and a real bargain. It has a 50VA transformer and can output 12v/9v/7v or 5v, max 3amps.  From Pauls description "The same proprietary ultra low noise high performance discrete component voltage regulator circuit topology is used in the SR3, SR4, SR5 and SR7 power supplies and as the SR3, SR4, SR5 and SR7 all use the same high performance PR3 regulator circuit topology they all have a similar sonic signature musically."

Over Xmas I received my new Decware SE84UFO3 mono block amps which have taken my system to the mountain top. Combined with the PS Audio Junior DAC as preamp, I am over the moon with them. I am still trying to work this out but this combo seems to have over ridden (i.e. bettered) all the other tweaks I have put in place and introduced over the past year which is both kind of wonderful and puzzling. The Bluewave is still a significant component but the LT3045s do not seem to make any difference whether in or out... which no doubt shows the high quality of the SR4.

Anyways that sets some context for how I am hearing the SR4 and the place for the other components we have in common.

Here are 3 diagrams of tests I have performed. A & B are equal in SQ etc but C which had a WaveIO board outputting I2S, is currently my favourite:

A: Bluewave board LT3045 Box
Spdif
SR4 9v output

Bluewave LT3045 box

B: Bluewave board no LT3045

Spdif
SR4 5v output

5a4e4202e0402_SystemnoLTJAN2018.thumb.png.f9a8c2cceba99b72b10200df1d033568.png

C: WaveIO board 3.3v LT3045
HDMI I2S
SR4 5v output

5a4e4230d1b3e_SystemWaveIOJAN2018.thumb.png.3596b5893a457131fdab98024b5b89f2.png

To complicate matters in pic C:  :) I had been trying to get I2S output from Lucians WaveIO board for a long time and gave up but recently I discovered the Audio-gd HDMI board which makes it easy to output I2S compatible with the PS audio standard. The PS Junior DAC has HDMI/I2S input. Now I have this in place it equals and possibly betters all the other options. I think I will ask Lucian to upgrade the oscillators on the WaveIO to match the Bluewave for max impact.....

More listening to do to verify all this and I haven't compared LPS-1 to the SR4 either... More later as this is more than enough for now...

Awesome, thanks for sharing your impressions with the SR4 here Patrick! ?

As you know I am interested in SR4 or sPS-500. Before I decide I want to see how it goes with Gophert & Stammheim's 3A single ps powering my Brooklyn DAC. To be honest I think I might stay with the Gophert, but it remains to be heard IRL. The single ps have been sent out so I will probably receive my two single ps (the other one for my router) by next week. The Gibson LP8 reference monitors will arrive tomorrow! ?

The Decware UFO is true eye candy masterpieces! I must admit that I am even more jealous of them than I am on your SR4 or PS Audio Junior. Truly awesome stuff! ?

Interesting that you prefer the WaveIO board with I2S/HDMI to BluWave with Spdif. I have always been a bit sceptical to HMDI cables but positive to I2S. A bit of a mind crash to hear your report I must admit! ?

Enjoy! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

2 hours ago, Cornan said:

The Gibson LP8 reference monitors will arrive tomorrow! ?

Always a magic day when new gear arrives...The new speakers look fabulous, bi-amped and titanium tweeter.. very nice. I've always fancied active speakers.  Enjoy! and a review please..:)

The Decware UFO is true eye candy masterpieces! I must admit that I am even more jealous of them than I am on your SR4 or PS Audio Junior. Truly awesome stuff! ?

yes they are a world class product at a very reasonable price direct from maker..

Interesting that you prefer the WaveIO board with I2S/HDMI to BluWave with Spdif. I have always been a bit sceptical to HMDI cables but positive to I2S. A bit of a mind crash to hear your report I must admit! ?

Yes, indeed it messes with my established universe..

still trying to digest the outcomes but main discovery is the  PS Junior DAC plus Decware amps seem to relegate the quality of inputs as long as they are good quality, it doesn't seem to matter as much as it did before plus the SR4 does not need anything after it to improve the DC power. Using the I2S input of PS Junior seems to use the simpler route to D/A conversion..  need to update my signature :) again..

Cheers!

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

Always a magic day when new gear arrives...The new speakers look fabulous, bi-amped and titanium tweeter.. very nice. I've always fancied active speakers.  Enjoy! and a review please..:)

Yeah, it is still a very satisfying feeling! ? I fell in love with the looks of the cherry Gibsons as well. According to reviewers they are both bigger and nicer looking IRL. Let's see if they are right? ?

Review will surely come here as soon as I have done some burn-in. The titanium tweeters apparently needs quite some time to soften up.

yes they are a world class product at a very reasonable price direct from maker..

They sure are! ?

Yes, indeed it messes with my established universe..

still trying to digest the outcomes but main discovery is the  PS Junior DAC plus Decware amps seem to relegate the quality of inputs as long as they are good quality, it doesn't seem to matter as much as it did before plus the SR4 does not need anything after it to improve the DC power. Using the I2S input of PS Junior seems to use the simpler route to D/A conversion..  need to update my signature :) again..

I immediately checked out the I2S/HDMI board at Audiophonics! ? Brooklyn has no option for it though, but I started to wonder if I could do a AES/EBU output of my BluWave though? Something to investigate anyway! ?

You've got a great combo now. Maybe your last signature change? Just kidding! ? 

🎛️  Audio System  

42 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I got the Gibson Les Paul 8 reference monitors today! ?

Here is some pictures to give you an idea how huge they are. Still they are bigger IRL. I could fit both of my Monkey Banana Turbo 5s plus ISO stands in a single Gibson box. ?

IMG_6948.thumb.JPG.5a9f07d53dd2948b88984e6a16b973fe.JPGIMG_6950.thumb.JPG.566612e3b5767593f3d2b48dc733bfc7.JPGIMG_6949.thumb.JPG.ed03015d292d12db6f121db6e719e496.JPG

I am not going to comment much on the SQ at this early stage, more than that they sound much better than expected right out of the box and they look stunning IRL. The pictures do not make them justice. Love the looks of them...and they sounds very promising indeed! 

More later! ?

They are very nice looking speakers! Enjoy them!