19 minutes ago, mozes said:

Thanks for sharing @Cornan so do you think that your star quad usb cable is clearly better than the Elijah? Are you using the same lengths?

Youre welcome Moussa! ? Yes, it is clearly better than Elijah Audio Konvertible Lite in my setup. 50cm just like K-Lite. It is overall darker than EA but handles the sound placements in depht and width much more precisely. More presence. Better voices. Better dynamic range.

Going directly from EA to ATL will almost sound blurry and a tiny bit closed in, but improves vastly with the right combination. EA is overall lighter and more of a plug and play kind of cable that do not need that much effort to implement it.

I will play it more for a while (with all kinds of music) and if I still feel the same I will probably ask Alex/ATL to make this cable with better USB plugs, Mundorf gold/silver wires and silver JSSG shielding which I think could improve it even more.

I hope that helps! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

Youre welcome Moussa! ? Yes, it is clearly better than Elijah Audio Konvertible Lite in my setup. 50cm just like K-Lite. It is overall darker than EA but handles the sound placements in depht and width much more precisely. More presence. Better voices. Better dynamic range.

Going directly from EA to ATL will almost sound blurry and a tiny bit closed in, but improves vastly with the right combination. EA is overall lighter and more of a plug and play kind of cable that do not need that much effort to implement it.

I will play it more for a while (with all kinds of music) and if I still feel the same I will probably ask Alex/ATL to make this cable with better USB plugs, Mundorf gold/silver wires and silver JSSG shielding which I think could improve it even more.

I hope that helps! ?

Thanks I guess it will reveal its true self after a few days of breakin. My experience is that darker in some instances may be rounding off the highs e.g Intona isolator in my system of course. 

5 hours ago, mozes said:

Thanks I guess it will reveal its true self after a few days of breakin. My experience is that darker in some instances may be rounding off the highs e.g Intona isolator in my system of course. 

Could be! In any case I run it for a few days and then switch to Elijah Audio K-Lite again. Yesterday night just before bedtime I got a feeling that it was a bit more dull in the background than the EA on certain recordings which glows a bit more. I suspect that it could be due to the JSSG since it is a little bit similar what you hear on shielded vs unshielded cables. Just not to the same extent. Overall a very small but noticeable difference when you hear it. Like a ultra thin smog audible on some recordings. I'll need to confirm it and also check so it is nothing else in my setup that is giving this result. Overall the ATL is way more sensitive to changes. Which could be a good thing, but also a not so good thing. I will experiment further to find out.

🎛️  Audio System  

4 hours ago, John769 said:

Thanks for sharing and great photos! 

Are you using the teradak injector into the Regen to cut out 5V from the ATL USB cable? (ie it's not connected to anything). 

You are welcome John769! ?

Yes, I am using the Teradak USB power injection cable (cuts 5v and the power is fed by Gophert cap-3205II via Ghent Y-split also powering the network switch) into ISO Regen again, but with GI turned off. This was how I used the EA with GI turned on before. It troubles me a bit why it is a difference. Also, if you see my post to Miussa, I heard a ultra thin smog on certain recordings. Thinking about it I suspect either the JSSG and/or the shared power to the Aqvox switch. I will await my LT3045's and do a couple of test with them in front of IR and AQVOX to see if it is leakage or if it is the JSSG shield. Another fact is also that the ATL includes a 5v wire and EA does not. Anyway, I will continue to experiment to find out. Remember that ATL is still better than EA, but seems more sensitive to changes in the setup.

🎛️  Audio System  

10 hours ago, Cornan said:

Yes, I am using the Teradak USB power injection cable (cuts 5v and the power is fed by Gophert cap-3205II via Ghent Y-split also powering the network switch) into ISO Regen again, but with GI turned off. 

Hi Cornan

So the Regen has two smps, one for the 6-8v and the other for 5V via the injector.  Why not simply remove the power leg altogether on the Regen's USB input?  Cue embarrassingly obvious answer that proves I haven't paid enough attention with previous posts :P

1 hour ago, John769 said:

Hi Cornan

So the Regen has two smps, one for the 6-8v and the other for 5V via the injector.  Why not simply remove the power leg altogether on the Regen's USB input?  Cue embarrassingly obvious answer that proves I haven't paid enough attention with previous posts :P

ISO Regen must have it's own power even if it have USB power injection. To me it sounds better than without power injection. That's why I use it. I will experiment further today with a Vbus2 at the Aries Mini side plus run a ground wire from Aqvox to PASS star-earth plug and Gopherts to Minimus. I suspect that the DC Y-split I use for Aqvox plus Regen injection play a part in why grounding everything to the PSD sounds harsh. Investigation continues! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

48 minutes ago, Abtr said:

That's very nice. You may also want to try powering your DAC, pre-amp and power-amp(s) with a dedicated floating balanced mains IT (+ DC blocker). ;)

My Gustard DAC-X10 is already powered with the balanced IT (I just forgot to mention it. Also the balanced IT is connected to a BlueWalker PowerWalker 1200VA voltage regulator). I have no preamp or Poweramp in this setup. The DAC have built-in volume vontrol is connected to my active speakers via balanced XLRs.

The active speakers are connected to a Ultra IT that can be transformed into a balanced IT. I will probably do that later on since I doubt my 200VA balanced floating IT is sufficient for both the speakers and the rest of the setup. However, since the ATL balanced IT is dead silent and the Ultra IT hums quite a bit I might just order a second one from ATL and sell if the Ultra IT. After hearing it there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it will improve things further. I have also the possibility to ground the center tap from the outside of the case if I want to or need it in the future.

BTW. How do you protect the output of your balanced floating IT? As I understand a 2-pole GFCI is needed. I have not found a portable 2-pole GFCI so far.

🎛️  Audio System  

40 minutes ago, Cornan said:

My Gustard DAC-X10 is already powered with the balanced IT (I just forgot to mention it. Also the balanced IT is connected to a BlueWalker PowerWalker 1200VA voltage regulator). I have no preamp or Poweramp in this setup. The DAC have built-in volume vontrol is connected to my active speakers via balanced XLRs.

The active speakers are connected to a Ultra IT that can be transformed into a balanced IT. I will probably do that later on since I doubt my 200VA balanced floating IT is sufficient for both the speakers and the rest of the setup. However, since the ATL balanced IT is dead silent and the Ultra IT hums quite a bit I might just order a second one from ATL and sell if the Ultra IT. After hearing it there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it will improve things further. I have also the possibility to ground the center tap from the outside of the case if I want to or need it in the future.

BTW. How do you protect the output of your balanced floating IT? As I understand a 2-pole GFCI is needed. I have not found a portable 2-pole GFCI so far.

I use this 2-pole 16A 230V Eaton 236948 RCD/GFCI (not exactly portable):

aardlekschakelaarzekeringautomaat-2-polig-16-a-230-v-eaton-236948.thumb.jpg.f05c97e7066a8adfb2936f7e0a865e3e.jpg

And, IME a truly dedicated balanced IT just for your DAC and amps (or active speakers) sounds best..

13 minutes ago, Abtr said:

I use this 2-pole 16A 230V Eaton 236948 RCD/GFCI (not exactly portable):

aardlekschakelaarzekeringautomaat-2-polig-16-a-230-v-eaton-236948.thumb.jpg.f05c97e7066a8adfb2936f7e0a865e3e.jpg

And, IME a truly dedicated balanced IT just for your DAC and amps (or active speakers) sounds best..

Thanks Abtr! This is the same type that I have found as well.

Yeah, the balanced IT with floating center tap sounds truly great. Thanks for the tip! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

My Gustard DAC-X10 is already powered with the balanced IT (I just forgot to mention it. Also the balanced IT is connected to a BlueWalker PowerWalker 1200VA voltage regulator)

How are you liking the Gustard so far? Have you tried mods to it? There are set of them on WBF in a thread dating from maybe last year by Ric Shultz (not too sure of the spelling).

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

2 minutes ago, YashN said:

How are you liking the Gustard so far? Have you tried mods to it? There are set of them on WBF in a thread dating from maybe last year by Ric Shultz (not too sure of the spelling).

I had my first listen to the Gustard today. Still early to say anything about it more than it sounds promising. I have only connected my simple Vertere D-Fi Pulse v2 USB cable straight to the PC Express USB card on my laptop so far. I am awaiting the BluWave USB to Spdif converter PCB that I plan to use in combination with Regen Amber and USPCB. Maybe throw in one or two LT3045 voltage regulators that I'll get tomorrow as well. When I get those in place I can tell you more how I like it! ?

Thanks! ? I have seen a couple of mod threads for Gustard. I will check again if WBF was one of them. Initially I will not touch the internals though. First I want to see how good it can get with a little help from the outside.

🎛️  Audio System  

2 hours ago, Abtr said:

That's very nice. You may also want to try powering your DAC, pre-amp and power-amp(s) with a dedicated floating balanced mains IT (+ DC blocker). ;)

@Abtr Have you somehow modified your Airlink BPS 1502 to make it floating, or use another brand?

I currently run everything- PC, DAC with PRE, active speakers through a Peaktech 2240 floating PSU. Total system draw is 150 to 200 watts (max) with a watt meter.  Sounds pretty good but I am planning to get an Airlink 1500va, or perhaps 2000va, because the speakers might be better fed by a balanced IT.

I was thinking maybe to run the speakers only through the Airlink (once purchased) and the rest of the gear with the Peaktech.  Or alternately to plug both the speakers and peaktech (with other gear) into separate sockets of the Airlink.   There's also the option of selling the Peaktech and starting afresh, but only after making comparisons :)

Anyhow just wondering what you might advise, seeing as you own the Airlink model I was planning on getting?  Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I will check again if WBF was one of them. Initially I will not touch the internals though. First I want to see how good it can get with a little help from the outside.

Yes check them out, there are posts by another member, 'quantum<something' if I remember correctly, who also did the mods and the results were apparently astounding, well worth a try.

Also, if memory serves me well, Ric since found other DACs which sounded better to him, but he and others had a lot of praise on one Gustard DAC.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

3 hours ago, Cornan said:

Is this for the LT3045's? I haven't got mine yet. I will get it at the post office tomorrow. Maybe @tapatrick can answer you? 

Just came out of a performance of Koyaanisqatsi with live score by GoGo Penguin. Stunning! 

@Forehaven If the pins are for an LT3045 board then yes, but it depends which way it is soldered to the board. Hopefully you can see in this image. I don’t use the grounds myself and make sure the bridge is on the correct  side of the 3 pin block to allow the board to function.

IMG_3648.thumb.JPG.f6a643212309b305ed75bc48e2e07033.JPG

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

4 minutes ago, YashN said:

Yes check them out, there are posts by another member, 'quantum<something' if I remember correctly, who also did the mods and the results were apparently astounding, well worth a try.

Also, if memory serves me well, Ric since found other DACs which sounded better to him, but he and others had a lot of praise on one Gustard DAC.

Thanks YashN! I promise to look it up. The Gustard DAC is in my low budget setup where many of my experiments is done before they end up in my A setup. Still my main DAC is the Brooklyn in my A setup. Nonetheless it will be very interesting to see how good the Gustard can be! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

18 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

Just came out of a performance of Koyaanisqatsi with live score by GoGo Penguin. Stunning! 

@Forehaven If the pins are for an LT3045 board then yes, but it depends which way it is soldered to the board. Hopefully you can see in this image. I don’t use the grounds myself and make sure the bridge is on the correct  side of the 3 pin block to allow the board to function.

IMG_3648.thumb.JPG.f6a643212309b305ed75bc48e2e07033.JPG

Crazy and lovely film I just watched a bit on youtube, Thanks for mentioning Koyaanisquatsi.

And Thanks for the pic tapatrick.  And saying not using the ground mean you didn't solder that pin to the pcb?  This is also an in parallel setup correct?  I hate to ask, but do you have a pic of the other side of the pcb? Looks like you soldered connections on the back side exc. a couple of joints...so just need to know exactly where to solder.

Obvious to all I'm sure, this is my first time trying a project like this so I appreciate the help!

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.