IGNORED

Any experiences with RME ADI-2 Pro DAC?

Thanks, another question :-). How you connect ADI-2 Pro with Fostex? One of headphone output in front of device? I have a Samson Resolv RXA5 monitor active and i wonder how to connect them and Transrotor Headphone Amp with my HD800s in the same time than quick change the signal in dac?

From the unbalanced outputs in the rear to the Fostex line input. I think Fostex also passes through the analog in to analog out with the front panel switch (with or without volume control), although I don't remember checking that. I have set the ADI-2 reference level to +13 dBu. Once I get the Schiit Ragnarok, I can use the balanced connections and can also get pre-amp output from the Ragnarok...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I got an ADI 2 Pro today, it sounds really nice through an active Presonus R65 nearfield studio monitor.

It is warming up by the minute. Hope to try the A/D converter as soon as I can.

From the unbalanced outputs in the rear to the Fostex line input. I think Fostex also passes through the analog in to analog out with the front panel switch (with or without volume control), although I don't remember checking that. I have set the ADI-2 reference level to +13 dBu. Once I get the Schiit Ragnarok, I can use the balanced connections and can also get pre-amp output from the Ragnarok...

I have great respect for RME even though I am not a sound pro.

I would like to have this DAC/ADC sometime in the future

Any comments about how it compares with the Brooklyn or the Benchmark and even the T+A DAC8?

Also.. is there an improvement with a linear power supply? I have heard the Brooklyn with external linear power and it responds greatly to that!!

Thnx..

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

Does it have volume control for line out?

Yes...

Does it work in Direct DSD mode?

No, because the volume control it has is the digital volume control of the DAC chip.

In Linux does it support non-DoP DSD256?

At the moment it doesn't support non-DoP DSD anywhere. But with DoP it works up to DSD256 (up to 48k x256).

Hi Miska,

Did you get the multi channel RME and is it possible to use with JRiver zones?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silly me and I am embarrassed with my oversight. I apologize. Is it possible with HQ Player and multi DAC for multiple zones?

Only if you run multiple instances of HQPlayer. Having multiple DACs means having multiple clocks and that means multiple timing sources... Unless someone makes a studio-type setup with one separate master clock and using word clock or 10 MHz clock sync. But that kind of setup is quite untypical for home use, so it is not supported by HQPlayer. Like something from Antelope's selection:

Master Clocks | Antelope Audio

What usb receiver does RME use?

I think it's their own on the same FPGA as rest of the stuff.

On Windows it uses same driver as MADIface and UFX+. Since MADIface XT can do 394 channels on USB3, it is very likely not the lightweight kind of stuff most audiophile devices use.

Is it possible that it's going to support DSD native in the near future?

Yes, they've hinted towards such possibility in the manual... I'm not sure if it's just limitation of the ASIO driver, firmware or both.

I think it's their own on the same FPGA as rest of the stuff.

On Windows it uses same driver as MADIface and UFX+. Since MADIface XT can do 394 channels on USB3, it is very likely not the lightweight kind of stuff most audiophile devices use.

Yes, they've hinted towards such possibility in the manual... I'm not sure if it's just limitation of the ASIO driver, firmware or both.

On RME drivers, the HDPSeAIO set of drivers, totally suppresses any other audio device, even the built in motherboard sound card, just gone. On uninstall of the TotalMix software and driver software, there's toxicity spread over the registry. This creates instability when installing other audio devices, Mutec, Grace Design, even an Intona plays up. I had to wipe the disc clean and fresh install Windows and no problems since. Not going near any RME unless I know its behaviour is like malware to other audio devices.

Does the ADI-2 PRO have the same toxic effect??

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

On RME drivers, the HDPSeAIO set of drivers, totally suppresses any other audio device, even the built in motherboard sound card, just gone. On uninstall of the TotalMix software and driver software, there's toxicity spread over the registry. This creates instability when installing other audio devices, Mutec, Grace Design, even an Intona plays up. I had to wipe the disc clean and fresh install Windows and no problems since. Not going near any RME unless I know its behaviour is like malware to other audio devices.

First time I hear about such behavior, I've been using the older Digi96 interfaces in the past and then Fireface later.

Does the ADI-2 PRO have the same toxic effect??

At least I didn't notice yet any adverse effects on my Win10 machine. But I've used it only to update the ADI-2 Pro firmware.

But anyway I primarily use Linux... On Linux or Mac you don't need to install any extra drivers, the OS-provided UAC2 driver is enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking for a second DAC for another system in my house and this machine is very interesting. I was looking a the various Brooklyn DAC, Benchmark DAC3. This is cheaper and packed with features.

Does it have a remote? Or is it possible to add one?

Thanks

« Information is not knowledge / Knowledge is not wisdom / Wisdom is not truth / Truth is not beauty / Beauty is not love / Love is not music / MUSIC IS THE BEST. » FZ

Does it work with OSes like Rune or MoOde Audio?

Thnx!

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

This is my Raspberry Pi 3 Raspbian result. It is recognized as asynchronous isochronous high speed USB audio device. Raspbian recognized this device but I'm not sure if Rune or Moode support it.

It seems user should not do other computing tasks on Raspberry Pi 3 when playing music to prevent sound playback glitch

$ cat /proc/asound/Pro58358260/stream0

RME ADI-2 Pro (58358260) at usb-3f980000.usb-1.5, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:

Interface = 1

Altset = 1

Packet Size = 56

Momentary freq = 44118 Hz (0x5.83c9)

Feedback Format = 16.16

Interface 1

Altset 1

Format: S32_LE

Channels: 2

Endpoint: 2 OUT (ASYNC)

Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000, 705600, 768000

Data packet interval: 125 us

Capture:

Interface = 2

Altset = 1

Packet Size = 56

Momentary freq = 44100 Hz (0x5.8333)

Interface 2

Altset 1

Format: S32_LE

Channels: 2

Endpoint: 1 IN (ASYNC)

Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000, 705600, 768000

Data packet interval: 125 us

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin