IGNORED

Any experiences with RME ADI-2 Pro DAC?

Can someone share opinion on how this thing compares to the other ADC such as Antelope Pure2 or Lynx HiLo when it comes to vinyl ripping?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Guess it depends on how you rip the Vinyl. If using a phono stage it should be close in sound quality. The phono stage may have a larger impact on sound than any of these.

If using a digital EQ like Pure Vinyl or several others the lack of mic pre amps be an issue. Clean mic pres can do a great job at boosting a phono cartridge to record.

I prefer using software to do the EQ and mic preamps. I have several phono stages and MC step ups. Like using the mic pres.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Can someone share opinion on how this thing compares to the other ADC such as Antelope Pure2 or Lynx HiLo when it comes to vinyl ripping?

I have a Pure2 I use for vinyl capture. It's my first venture into the pro gear realm for vinyl -> digital workflows.

The results exceeded my expectations. But one thing that's important to point out: If doing vinyl captures to ADCs that use XLR input (most pro-sumer and all pro gear), you'll want a phono stage with XLR outputs. Ideally, you'll want a phono stage with adjustable gain. I've had my eye on this device for some time now.

In both scenarios you need ADC and I need to know how RME ADI 2.0 Pro stands against the competition. I have TC Impact Twin and think about upgrading ADC.

Depends on what format you want to do. There are not too many options on the market with DSD256 and PCM 768/32 ADC... Especially in this price category.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

ferenc, can you say how you amplify the signal from the turntable when using RME ADI 2.0 Pro? It does not have mike preamp to gain the signal so what do you use? and how do you set the proper ohm impedance for the cartridge? Please advise.

I like the ADI 2 Pro much better than the Impact to be honest. I have few sample LPs digitized at 384 kHz with the RME, send me a private message and I can share few short samples. The LP playback chain is a high-end one.
ferenc, can you say how you amplify the signal from the turntable when using RME ADI 2.0 Pro? It does not have mike preamp to gain the signal so what do you use? and how do you set the proper ohm impedance for the cartridge? Please advise.

There is a phono amp between the RME and the turntable of course.

The chain:

Kuzma XL DC turntable - Kuzma 4Point arm - Dynavector XV-lt cartridge - Kuzma silver phono cable - Avid Pulsare II 2 box Phono Stage - Wireworld Micro-Platinum Eclipse balanced silver XLR cable - RME Adi 2 Pro with its original SMPS power supply.

There will be new recordings soon now with a locally made linear PS for the RME. There will be a chance to compare the recordings made with the original RME power supply and the linear one at 384 kHz/32 bit floating.

I see. I was thinking about some good flat preamp just to amplify the signal and apply impedance and then apply RIAA with the software. Would you see any good flat phono preamp for this?

Straycat- The Channel D line of phono preamps (depending on your cartridge (mm vs mc) and budget) seem to be what you're looking for -I'm not aware of other flat phono pre's that allow you to dial in the correct cartridge load. I'm saving up for an ad/da so I'm not currently using it, if you want to borrow it for demoing a few vinyl rips, PM me.

Hi Samuel

I have Pure2 for two days. What is your settings with HQPlayer and Roon? My system: MacBook Pro Retina 13, Pure2, Samson Resolv RXA5, Sennheiser HD800s. Any suggestions about best audio settings?

Cheers

I'm only using the Pure2 for vinyl captures. It's attached to an older iMac. The only app I use there is iZotope RX5. I've moved to different computers/DACs for playback.

I tested this unit yesterday at home when a friend of mine from the "PRO" world came by. I think it's just brilliant!

very dynamic and airy sound, rock solid imaging.

Compared with my Lector Digicode S-192 Dac.

Well, maybe it's time to move forward from tubes...

I have a pair of custom made active speakers and a full Stax 009 headphones setup. The Adi-2 Pro behaved very well as a DAC and also as a dac/preamp directly into the speakers.

I placed my order. Will report back with more information. I first thought to get one for a secondary system now I don't know.

Simone

« Information is not knowledge / Knowledge is not wisdom / Wisdom is not truth / Truth is not beauty / Beauty is not love / Love is not music / MUSIC IS THE BEST. » FZ

The ADI2P is in my home.

This thing is tiny! Sitting besides my Estro Armonico Nordlys tube preamp looks even smaller.

I like all the features it has.

I spent 3 hours to learn how to navigate in the menu.

Especially I love crossfeed. It's very convenient when you listen to old jazz recordings with strong pan left/right. I have the same feature in Roon with release 1.3 Have to decide which one is better.

Having fun

« Information is not knowledge / Knowledge is not wisdom / Wisdom is not truth / Truth is not beauty / Beauty is not love / Love is not music / MUSIC IS THE BEST. » FZ

• 3 months later...

Finally decided to up grade the audio interface which was a Apogee Rosetta 200 and decided to go with the RME ADI 2 Pro Anniversary model.

Took about 3 days burn in to get the true sound out of it and setting up for vinyl and quarter inch reel to reel transfer. For the Phono stage instead of using a standard integrated amplifier or a cheap usb phono add unit decided to go for PS Audio's Nuwave Phono converter and Clearaudio on the turntable front.

On software computer and computer I am using 6 core Mac Pro and software for audio capture and editing, Sonic Studio's Soundblade and for just listening to tracks Sonic Studio's Amarra software.

Overall, the RME ADI Pro 2 has a different sound flavour to the Apogee. Sound is more precise and high's are not as harsh or strained (possibly due to direct usb connection where as the Apogee had to have an external audio interface card - was using RME's Digiface to optical out to the Apogee.

I believe one of the members in this forum was looking into getting a improved power supply so will be interested to read about the results (as usually the power packs / supplies provided with these units leave a lot to be desired.

So for anyone needing to upgrade there converter or audio interface for HI FI listening, mastering then the RME ADI 2 Pro is a great choice. However, if you are wanting to track lay then this converter is not the one. You need a converter with dedicated instrument or mic pre's.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a locally made powerful linear power supply, instead of the original wall wart, it makes a difference, gives even better bass definition, more space and even easier to follow the rhythm. So feel free to experiment linear power supplies. 

7 hours ago, straycat said:

I just noticed that there is Anniversary edition introduced. Has anybody got this one? I wonder what are differences apart from cosmetics like glassy look-through top. I mean is it worth extra 200 EUR to get this one instead of regular one. 

It is really just cosmetic: black color, a window and some internal LEDs.

IMHO not worth the extra 400 (!) EUR. Even 200 EUR is too much.

• 1 month later...

I have a Tascam HD-P2 digital recorder that I use to rip files from vinyl records.  I am unhappy with the A/D converter in this unit and am searching for a better one.  I have my eye on the PS-Audio phono converter, the Apogee Mini-me, and I guess the RME ADI-2 Pro.  Some of these require balanced inputs.  My phono stage only has unbalanced outputs.  Will converter plugs work okay to connect the unbalanced to balanced inputs or do I absolutely have to have a preamp with balanced outputs for it to work?

Can anyone offer an opinion as to which of the above four devices  is best? 

If you are only wanting to go phono and line in then the PS Audio Phono converter will do the job. If you require analog out as well from your computer then the best way to go is the RME ADI Pro 2 (I have one) and phono preamp (preferable with balanced analog outputs to input into the RME, although the RME should have enough gain for unbalanced input as well). When going from balanced to unbalanced you will need to change over the earthing (ground) on the unbalanced output coming from the phono preamp.