IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

There’s no need for long analogies about burgers and fries. Sticking to audio will work much better. 

If I understand you correctly, you want to compare MQA to PCM, but from the original source before it has been turned into either? 

I’m confused because this makes no sense and is likely not what you’re trying to say. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

Nobody goes through this much to pile crap this high that does not have a vested interest in the matter.

That’s true I’m almost every case. 

Anonymous comments can be good and bad. If talking about objective data that’s reproducible by anyone, anonymity is totally fine. Making stuff up and calling us Nazis by an anonymous poster isn’t fine. He is either bad AI or appears to have a vested interest.

His use of anonymizing VPNs doesn’t help his case. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/22/2021 at 4:28 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

mQa’s only out is to sell the IP to Dolby, and have Dolby back door it into everything because Dolby can move the needle with most companies unlike mQa. I hope it never happens though. 

I still think this is the only logical way out for mQa. However, that logic is really weak because Dolby is hitting a home run with Atmos for music right now. Atmos goes from two channel stereo to 16 channel immersive. It’s all encompassing. 

I wish I knew more about Dolby’s purchase of MLP back in the day. 

11 minutes ago, yamamoto2002 said:

Are MQA encoded music files able to be decoded properly when official MQA decoder is disappeared? I heard it is protected by DRM and there is no legal way to decode properly by the third party even after all related patents are expired

The decoder is proprietary and unavailable outside of licensed products. The upsampling can be done after the decoding. 

3 hours ago, Jud said:

The lifeblood of the magazines is being able to obtain equipment to review. I don't think it's any more complicated than not wanting to stop receiving hardware from manufacturers who licensed MQA for their products.

There is a little bit of this with respect to MQA, more of it with respect to product access in general, but I don't see this as a driving force in the MQA discussion. Overall, I've easily received more communications from manufcturers because of my honesty about MQA, than I would've if I'd jumped on the bandwagon with both feet and held the line. Honesty is respected by good manufacturers and good people. As long as reviews are fair, most manufacturers can handle it and will get over negativity. They may disagree with assessments and degrees of fairness though. Like all business, it isn't back and white and there are many other factors at play for everyone involved.

If I could purchase every piece of gear reviewed on AS and we could survive on community member subscriptions, I'd do it in a hearbeat though. 

19 minutes ago, Archimago said:

The nice thing about headphones is that there are no room effects so the measurements can be seen as more directly relatable to sound quality.

But, measuring headphones is a soup sandwhich right now. Most of the guys doing it can't agree on the right procedure or equipment :~)

12 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Even if one spent $$$$$ on test equipment, I don't think results will ever translate to universal approval nor (more importantly) the sound recommendations directly applicable to everyone aiming to enjoy music. That's why IMO, work by @JoshM recently using his EARS and SBAF curve is good enough to give us a sense of relative sound signatures (and why I also have my EARS for testing and not particularly keen to spend money to upgrade). The rest is up to us to try listening for ourselves ;-).

Totally agree.

2 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Jud what do think the basis of say Warner Music's MQA stock is? Mark up the invoice and report that as income is what you are suggesting. Otherwise the debits and credits don't match. 

A way over-simplication of a public company’s accounting practices and creativity to get the books to look as favorable as possible. 

49 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

And the point I’m making is the services contributed are significant to MQA Ltd. They make up about 20% of the General and Administrative Expenses of the company from inception to 12/21/21.

If it’s a rounding error why was a Warner Music employee still pushing MQA two years ago? See Mark Waldrep’s  April 15, 2021 post on RealHD Audio.

Yes, significant to mQa but not to the major labels. The labels pushed it because they were part of the grift.