IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

7 minutes ago, knickerhawk said:

snippage..........

It is simply incorrect for you to proclaim that the only way to obtain valid test results is by level matching. That is the case when dealing with a single sample or a homogeneous population of samples in which the loudness of one set is greater than the other and you do not know which is louder. It is not the case when dealing with a random sampling population. There is more than one way to skin this cat...

The only way to obtain valid test results in a listening test is by level matching first.

Your description of multiple samples and varied levels of loudness averaging everything out so you still can make valid conclusions is a fantasy.  And on top of which you do not know if one set is random in relative loudness or all skewed in some direction or uses different masters.  I don't doubt the strength of your feeling in your results.  That confidence is badly misplaced. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 hours ago, knickerhawk said:

Both you and esldude are demanding preciseness in my testing but neither of you are being very precise in your criticism of it. You are broadly claiming that no listening test can be valid unless sound level matching within .2 dB is enforced in the test based on the fact that subjective preference can be influenced by application of as little as .2 dB difference in playback of the same track. Therefore, we know that there is a danger zone between .2 dB and the normal human threshold of audibility that needs to be controlled for. You and esldude seem to be arguing that the only valid way to control for this subliminality zone of influence is to measure the sound levels of the A and B samples to within .2 dB accuracy. Anything less accurate than that is, as you put it, "simply invalid" or as esldude put it, "fantasy."

My contention is that you do not need that level of accuracy to obtain significant results that can prove listener preference is based on something other than sound level. How? Well, let's consider what should be a statistically significant way of achieving valid listening results without accuracy to .2dB. Let's say we start with a population of 125 tracks to be tested. We have an MQA version and a non-MQA version for each track. We first want to toss out tracks with differences in loudness  between the two formats that are audible to our human subject. One way to do this is to run a repeated random blind A/B test where the subject is asked to pick the louder version. We can throw in a control with slight volume attenuation applied on a random to confirm the accuracy with which our subject is listening for loudness. Let's say that the subject can't detect sound level differences in 100 of the tracks. Now we need to determine if there is any subliminal sound level differences within the remaining 100 tracks. Our problem is that we only have a sound level measuring methodology accurate to, let's say, .8dB. If it turns out that some of the tracks are louder on the MQA side and some are louder on the non-MQA side and maybe some are equal, then we're in luck. Let's say it breaks down nicely to 1/3 for each of these possibilities. Now we run the subject through the main blind A/B tests for identifying preference.

Do you now see where this is going??? If preference is based primarily or exclusively on loudness, then the known louder tracks should be statistically preferred to the known quieter tracks and the preference within the unknown cohort will be mixed. In this scenario we can't conclude anything meaningful about preference when loudness is completely eliminated as a variable (i.e, reduced to no more than .2dB difference). However, if preference does not follow loudness to a statistically significant degree in the known loudness cohort, then we know with statistical significance that something other than loudness is dominating preference - the point being that we've achieved this result even though we haven't level matched all the way to .2dB.

Now, if we can't agree on the validity of the approach described above, there's no point in moving on to a discussion of how close my personal testing comes to being "valid" or merely "fantasy." I'll willingly slink away with my tail between my legs when you demonstrate the error in the test design described above.

You are making an assumption the loudness between .2 and .8 db differences will be random and evenly distributed between MQA and non-MQA.  That is a supposition.  We don't know if it is true.  

Before anyone went to this much trouble, it is far simpler to get a good ADC and use it to test the output of tracks and see what loudness differences there are. 

Yes, I know you were describing something in principle.  It still won't work without an assumption that you have no way of knowing is true or not.  And if your intent is to cycle around to saying you hear a consistency in MQA tracks you can identify after listening to dozens of them, that isn't the same as your theoretical testing is it?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

3 minutes ago, knickerhawk said:

Let's see if we can establish consensus about the testing scenario I outlined in my previous post before we wade into the details of what I did in my personal testing. Do you agree that the scenario I described is an example of how it is possible to obtain valid preference results from a blind A/B test even though you have not verified sound leveling to within .2dB?

I don't agree.  You are assuming too much. 

4 minutes ago, knickerhawk said:

It is supposition but a reasonable one if you have a (statistically large enough) population that is falling into a normal distribution for the samples that vary by more than the .8 dB measurable limit in my hypothetical. Regardless, it still doesn't matter if you have enough samples outside of the unknown cohort. With a large enough sampling outside of the unknown cohort and the preference results obtained from inside of the unknown cohort you should be able to statistically determine the distribution of louder MQA and louder non-MQA tracks within the unknown cohort. In the unlikely case of a distribution of actual preference results from within the unknown cohort that's inconsistent with the predicted normal distribution, you would need to further investigate the cause.

One result tells you there is either a quality difference or sound levels are not randomly distributed.  And you are back to investigating whether levels are skewed.  The other result says there is no difference.  Meaning you are unable to show if MQA is qualitatively different or not. 

49 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

It's lossy nature makes it the hi-rez version of mp3.

Brings to mind a good comparison to make if you could get duplicate tracks to compare.  With one being MQA.  Ogg Vorbis unlike mp3 will allow you to lossy compress high sample rate material and keep the extended ultrasonic response.  Maybe someone should do listening tests of Ogg Vorbis at hirez rates and MQA.  

27 minutes ago, ralphfcooke said:

It's not just a matter of overall level; if MQA uses an internal DSP of some sort then a flat level over the audio spectrum

is no longer a given. It's quite feasible for MQA to emphasize certain aspects of a recording, which would make

an accurate level comparison almost impossible (if that's what they do?)

That is correct.  Though one could record with a quality ADC the output and detect things like that or at least might be able to do so.  Of course people have worked some of what MQA is doing and it does not appear to be an improvement in fidelity.  

1 hour ago, Brinkman Ship said:

Experienced listeners will not be fooled or swayed by this. Seriously.

All human listeners will be fooled by this.  Fify.

:D:D:D

15 minutes ago, FredericV said:

Sorry to bust your bubble, but's it's lossy and not authentic to the master.

Here is 2L.no's 2L-053 demo track in the original studiomaster (blue plot) vs the first unfold (red plot) and second unfold (green plot):

image.thumb.png.7eb0a56482fd6b1373fb8a868be7f0cf.png

The first unfold actually is true to the original spectrum but in a band limited fashion, as it stops at 44.1 Khz nyquist. 2L.no files are all multiples of 44.1 Khz and edited as DXD.

The second unfold which upsamples + dithers the first unfold just creates a totally new response not in the original.

Hey your graph proves MQA is better than the original. There is more response in that second unfold than in the original DXD.  

No I don't really mean it.  :P

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi @Brinkman Ship, Welcome to CA. Or, should I say welcome back to CA or welcome to CA under a new name?

Based on your posts, your registered email address (mqatruth@<domain>.com), and the fact you're obscuring your physical location pretty well (IP addresses from all over the world, just in the last few hours), I'm quite suspicious of you. It appears you have an agenda and/or something to hide. 

I don't mind anyone hiding his location or using an email address such as yours, but given the volatility of this topic, it seems you are hear for reasons other than to truly discuss MQA with the community.

Please be careful and follow the rules.

Oh this is too funny.  Or pathetic.  Or both.  

mqatruth..................that must be the mqa truth hit squad.  

Be careful Chris.  You might be on their hit list. 

3 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

Suspicious of what? I joined here to specifically participate in this thread.

I have my issues with MQA, but I am also trying to understand all the venom spewed towards it.

The email i created was so I could keep track of this forum and its posts. No malicious intent.

Okay. I am no expert, but maybe can give a summary others can add to or correct.

MQA is lossy.  For quite awhile they pretended it wasn't or were vague. 

MQA purports to be better quality than hirez originals.  

MQA claimed to authenticate you were getting the master, and it does not. 

MQA claimed quite a bit of new innovative use of the digital medium fixing "blur".  Subsequent investigation uncovers it can't do anything over 96 khz, it simply oversamples.  It does unfold to 96 khz from 44 or 48 khz, but the extra stuff after the unfold is lossy in encoding. It uses filters that allow some aliasing.  

It appears to only have 17 bits of resolution. 

Unencoded it reduces quality of the track to maybe 13 bits.  

There are a few other issues. 

My main complaint is it can function as DRM.  And even if never used that way it prevents anyone from using digital room correction or speaker correction.  The latter is a big boon to performance.  Offset against a questionable improvement brought by MQA it makes MQA a non-starter for many.  

There is plenty more, but that should be a good start for you. 

5 minutes ago, firedog said:

And the even more amazing part is Lee Scoggins report that the Chesky's told him blind testing "proved" MQA is "indistinguishable" form 24\192. Let's say that's true. What happened to the MQA and audio press claims that MQA sounds superior, and is a great step forward, and is giving us something we didn't already have? 

Well Chesky only records binaurally now. 

So maybe he had MQAB. 

28 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

Extensive listening test underway. Expect report on Monday.

Describe parameters of your listening test.  Have you obtained MQA files and non-MQA you know are the same master?  Are you able to match levels very carefully?

Just now, Brinkman Ship said:

Yes, and Yes. Full details after weekend.

Please, some details now. 

A collaborative effort to have your listening test mean something to other people. 

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, ARQuint said:

Well, I am happy that the focus of the discussion has turned, after so many months and web pages of fevered supposition regarding the motivations of audio writers or Bob Stuart's plans for world domination, to sound quality.

We all need to carefully review the McGill report when it's widely available, as the "bottom line" might be different depending on ones point of view. (For example, what does the word "necessarily" mean in Archimago's summary of the findings, and we do need to hear more about the caveats in the paper's conclusion that he alludes to.) And I don't have to tell you that some will feel that the methodology is flawed on the most basic philosophical grounds: the debate about blind A/B testing as a way of judging sound has been a topic of controversy for as long as I've been in this hobby. But it's far preferable to consider data like this than to traffic in character assassination and conspiracy. I hate to think what the discussion would be like had the McGill work shown a clear preference for MQA. We can all move forward to the next stage of analysis and—most importantly for me—some reconciliation among brethren.

Andrew Quint

Please.  What does the word "necessarily" mean?  If you don't know look it up on www.dictionary.com pal.  

Did you go to Yale like Bill Clinton?  Is ARQ a pen name for Bill Clinton?  Has Bob Stewart paid Bill Clinton to lobby for MQA?  These are all about as pertinent to this thread as your questions about the McGill results. 

1 hour ago, Don Hills said:

Journalists tend to have certain character traits. One of them is to never admit being wrong. If forced to retract a headline, do it with a small sentence hidden on an inside page. Realistically, you aren't going to get people in Andrew's position to "publicly" change their opinion.  The best you can do is reasonably counter his arguments and present a credible alternative viewpoint for the audience. Rabid anti-MQA sentiment and personal attacks destroy your credibility. He wins because of your lack of self control.

I missed the part where Andrew presented a credible viewpoint. He has a public platform, but things like MqA coverage have eroded much credibility that once would have been granted the publication.

The fact such people calmly pretend they've any credibility left to counter the reality of mqa just causes me to dismiss them on other matters. I don't think that's an uncommon reaction these days. They no longer control the flow of information.

13 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Let's remember the good times in the nineties when there was no The Absolute Sound. 

They were around before the 90s. Like from 1970s.

1 hour ago, Rt66indierock said:

I can't imagine with such a low subscriber count, about 20,000 that they can make much money. As John Atkinson is fond of saying we are larger than all the other English language audio publications combined. And look what happened to them.

Did TAS ever make money?  When Harry Pearson still had it for some time it had no ads.  Then limited ads.  Subscriptions were high and did apparently cover cost of the magazine.  I don't know if it made money until after 1998.  

46 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

I don't know if he inherited money or not.

Sure, but you could pass it on to a good cause if there is something left...

Yes you could donate.  I'm not one to say I find that better than spending it on his own enjoyment.  Do you live the very least expensive life possible with plans to leave some money to a good cause? Should I judge you negatively if you don't?

3 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

LOL. No, i would not advocate self deprivation or meager living so you have some left for the government or a charity.

But if you can't spend it all..then...

Apparently HP could and did spend it all.

44 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

As I said I am happy to be corrected. I have not seen it described in such terms. Compared to Hi Rez yes, marketed as better than Hi Rez, yes, deliver the recording studio resolution, yes, just not "it is High Rez".

More relevantly, moving beyond marketing, is it or is it not a HiRez format?

From the MQA home page. Quoting a Warner music exec.  Then from same page Michael Nash of Universal Music Group. 

“Music fans will love it when they hear it, and WMG is thrilled to be partnering with MQA to take the next step in bringing hi-resolution music to consumers across the globe.”

“With MQA, we are working with a partner whose technology is among the best solutions for streaming Hi-Res Audio, and one that doesn't ask music fans to compromise on sound quality for convenience.”