IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

Be careful -- that horrible bug might start being resistant to treatment, then we might all be stuck with it.  It is a good idea to 'be careful' about what one is doing nowadays.  The world used to be much simpler, but not anymore -- just be safe.

45 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Funny, because I often hear folks state they don't want their music files or gear "infected" with MQA..😍

If one doesn't end up with really bad problems -- the system will still have 'cooties' (oh, I mean MQA recordings :-)).

John

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Paul R said:

So guys - you can argue this back and forth until the cows come home. Logic should be:

1. Do hi-res recordings sound different?

No. ->. Stop

2. (Yes) Do they sound different because they are different masters?

Yes -> choose the one you like best. Stop. 

3. (No) Does the high res recording sound better? 

No -> Stop

4. (Yes) Why does the high res recording sound different and better? 

Go for it with the 14 mainstream theories of why, or invent your own. 

Personally, I usually think that 24/96 or above sounds a bit better than red book. The why I usually wind up at is the filters make a difference.  I do not care what the filters are particularly, I just want the sound that pleases me the most. After all, I am the one listening to it. 

What 'sounds' better can be very different from something that IS objectively better.  Simply because frequencies above about 20kHz cannot be heard directly doesn't mean that the IMD or other effects along with circuitry/software don't make a difference.

Sometimes, there is the subjective sense that 96k/24 sounds better than 48k/24, and I cannot (will not) argue either way about that.

John

26 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Well, does it really matter? Resource limitations have essentially become non-issues. Go with the higher sample rate to be on the safe side.  😎

I agree that it is okay to use higher sample rates, but wider bandwidth and higher sample rates aren't needed or actually beneficial for listening (linear applications.)  Also, higher bandwidth than needed/usable is a burden, not an asset.  (What I mean by 'burden' is that a lot of electronics, and even some software, can create more artifacts when presented with unneeded signal.)

It is my suspicion (and opinion  of others) that the 'difference' often claimed for wider bandwidth source material is actually additional or change in distortion more than anything else.

On the other hand, if I have to up/down convert over and over again -- I'd' rather keep the higher rate.  That doesn't mean that a nice rolloff well above the audible range is a bad thing (e.g. starting at a dB or so at 25kHz.)

When I rolloff for audible band, my stuff is essentially 0dB at 20kHz and a few dB at 21.5kHz.  It is nailed entirely at 23.5kHz.  When needing to support wide bandwidth (to make places like HDtracks happy -- they like to see lots of noise above 25kHz), my software doesn't always keep the audio and above-audio bands together, but separates them for processing -- it mitigates IMD to do the split before processing, then recombine.  (In fact, doing the split in the audible bands is also helpful.)

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

John

The 33 page Data sheet that I attached is possibly the most detailed opamp data sheet that I have seen. It does show numerous graphs of distortion into various loads etc., but you are correct in that it doesn't show the input resistance value used.

However, in practise they are prone to instability/oscillation problems when directly driving cable loads of 100pF or more without a series output resistor.

Years ago, I also had several of the National Data books that you referred to, but they are obsolete now due to much newer devices. 

Regards

Alex

LME49720.pdf 1.04 MB · 0 downloads

Pllleassse -- look at the document that I referred to -- note the various input/output conditions/impedances, etc.  Spec-sheets like the one that you attached do not handle several very important  characteristics (source impedance vs.  input impedance effects are a relatively significant effect on distortion, yet is almost always poorly specified.)   The moderately low source impedance case is NOT always real world.

Even JFETs can have significant loading on the source because of capacitance effects and unbalanced  +,- inputs.  Lower voltage noise are usually worse (because of the lower dynamic input impedance, and it varies.)  Higher voltage noise devices tend to be smaller geometry, and therefore lower capacitance.  Also, a high impedance input often runs at lower currents which will cause a little less apparent varying DC input resistance.  By far, the AC loading effects are the most poorly specified.  (Devices running at lower bias currents tend to have more voltage noise and less current noise, also smaller geometry devices tend to have higher intrinsic resitances which increase the voltage noise -- making them more useful at lower currents.  Super low noise BJTs tend to be large geometry -- because the specsmanship is usually about input voltage noise, even though current noise is more important for higher source impedances.)

The problem with the spec sheet generally is that they don't always give real-world curves.  For example, what is the distortion at 10kHz with a 10k source resistance and a 600ohm load, at 0.1V, 1V and 10V output AC, and gains of 1, 10, 100.  There are lots of conditions, where the spec sheets give an idea as to the performance, but it isn't always complete enough.

I did a quick scan of the specs -- think about an op-amp in non-inverting mode (therefore dependent on the matching between input transistors/network), and running gain of X, source impedance of 40kohms, (common mode input impedance is very high -- so 40kohms is possilble), and at frequencies between 1k through 100kHz (assuming that some miscreant audio source supplies lots of high frequency signal -- wanna make sure that the IMD doesn't reach back down to audio.)   Read the specs CAREFULLY...

Here is a problem -- what is the input capacitance?  Why do you want to know the input capacitance?  Because it varies with the signal and internal state of the circuit and feedback, etc.   When the signal varies, and you have a non-zero source resistance, that varying input capacitance causes distortion.  In fact, this varying input capacitance is worse because usually a non-inverting amplifier circuit isn't AC balanced on the input -- so there are all kinds of weird distortions based on the unbalance that leak into the design.

So, you have a circuit, with a relatively high impedance source, and no useful spec that works with a general case of input impedance.

The input impedance of the op-amp circuit varies vs signal/frequency/etc -- where is that specified?  Do you know that is a significant source of distortion in op-amp circuits?  The distortion in an actual circuit will be significantly worse than the specs because of these facts (and others.)

Again -- read that very interesting document, and note the missing information from the 'common' spec-sheet -- even the many page attempt-to-look-complete.  Working engineers know about the missing specs, and know about the need to do tests or require selected or special order parts...  Real world production design IS sometimes a cr*p shoot on complex devices.  (If they keep on making them for longer than a few years.)

Doing your own high quality BJT/JFET design is the best -- if you can...  Of course, in production, that isn't quite as practical as using a chip that you pray that you can keep on purchasing.

John

On 6/6/2019 at 8:46 PM, esldude said:

Would be interesting to filter out everything below 20 khz.  Slow the speed to 1/4th, and amplify what is left to listen to it.  Is it only tape noise up there or is anything whatsoever related to music.  I think it will be noise only. 

Yes -- it will be noise (imd/hd splats from the lower 20kHz & sometimes 'tones').

On 6/8/2019 at 3:53 PM, Paul R said:

Hi John - 

There is plenty of music content above 20khz, and nope, it ain't distortion. Vinyl can reproduce it just fine.  Has been that way for ages. Not saying anyone can actually hear it, at least not directly. However, if you stick your paw in an ultrasonic record cleaner bath you are sure able to feel something. 😉

Can you be a little more specific about what you are talking about? 

Methinks that you cannot hear the  'content',  and like noise/music above 20kHz from vinyl -- it is messed up anyway.   If you think that any signfiicant pop material made before 1990 has 'clean' highs -- well I have a bridge to sell you...  Most recording situations used DolbyA/DolbySR (and its littler brothers/sisters.)  The splats from the old HW are about as strong as any 'music' -- perhaps stronger when you have those nice 'cymbals' from 'high quality' recordings.  (reference:  when I decode professional material and compare with a true DolbyA -- on a specific recording, using DolbyA HW cymbals are decoded at a suppressed level -- guess where that suppressed energy goes?  think about 20kHz?  It isn't that the DolbyA cannot respond quickly -- it is that the response is SO FAST that intermod is so severe that much of the energy is lost outside of the audio band!!!)

Get a pair of Earthworks or good DPA microphones, and record directly onto digital -- then you have music material above 20kHz or so -- *that cannot be heard or detected by humans*.  Please do not count the resulting distortion products which do 'make a difference' when errant signals much above 20khz mess things up.  (I am not one of those 'must brickwall at 20kHz' people -- but every extra kHz above certain signal level will more and more likely be troublesome.)

One nice thing about my decoder -- it doesn't produce those splats...  (That is what I was talking about breaking my decoder.)  DolbyA encoded and decoded material is full of splts, similar to the vinyl being all contorted WRT signal quality above about -- say, 0Hz :-).

On the other hand, pros are 'big boys' and know how to deal with the HF problems, and they oftne like to keep high sample rates/raw bandwidths for purposes other than direct listening. (I am not counting myself as one of those 'big boys' -- just talking about the pros)

John

OMG -- sorry about replying to my own post -- but regarding 'splats' which happen *to some degree* on almost any automatic gain control device.   The splat (IMD) characteristics depend on both the gain control mechnaism and the signal.

I got some very encouraging results with the DHNRDS decoder WRT 'splats' (haven't checked in a few weeks) - doing ANY DolbyA processing on the old HW, encoding or decoding, will produce IMD splats across the audio spectrum -- even without extreme transients in the audio.  (The effect is paradoxically a softening/fuzzing of the sound.)  

My DHNRDS measurement show ZERO measurable splats in the ever so important higher audio frequencies, even where they could happen.  This very nice observation does NOT utilize the absolute IMD avoidance of band splitting... 

Band splitting: the DA decoder splits the audio band up so that the audible below 20kHz doesn't create splats into the super-audio range, and the super-audio range cannot create IMD that drops into the audio range.

Additionally on the DHNRDS DA -- recently made some trajectory shaping improvements -- even below 20kHz, on pretty intense material, I can not measure any IMD splats above 14kHz when simply bandlimiting the input audio below 14kHz on the input.  This shows that the IMD control is really good.*

* This means that even without the band splitting, the IMD is very substantially (seems like completely) suppressed.   I know that it isn't really 100% suppressed, but it is created and put in a different -- less audiblle -- place.

What is a 'SPLAT'? (my nomenclature, not standardized)  It is a burst of intermodulation energy that often comes from gain control changes being mixed with th audio.   A 'SPLAT' can actually be any kind of intermodulation energy -- sometimes looking just like a cymbal crash encroaching into and beyond 20kHz frequency range.

Normally, with the fast/relatively ragged DolbyA attack/release, you'll get splats as strong as any normal audio above 20kHz -- with a slow RMS style compressor, the splats still happen -- but are of lower magnitude.

So, generally, a fast fet-style limiter will tend to produce splats more easily (unless very carefully designed) than a smooth RMS compressor...  The DolbyA technology is almost  a worst case of a fast FET-style compressor that doesn't explicitly clip the audio.  (DolbyA could be worse than it is/was, but R Dolby was a brilliant engineer/researcher, and did an excellent job with the technology that he had.)

13 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

I've said more than a few times I can detect ultrasonics from a crash cymbal when I'm hitting it (bone conduction probably). But I can't detect them listening 10 feet away. But then Richard Vandersteen considers my hearing abilities "lucky." 

Deep in my past memories -- I do seem to remember that bone conduction does have wider HF bandwidth than 'hearing'.  I know nothing about the actual mechanism (one can always guess) -- but your possible implication about bone conduction did wake up that stale/old memory.  It might be proven wrong, but I'd guess that you are actually manifesting the bone conduction that the old papers spoke of (I mean decades-old papers.)

John

• 3 weeks later...

I see Blackmer as more as a really innovative semiconductor audio applications EE, who understood the details of transistor (and diode) behavior.  When I think of Blackmer, I think of his innovative  semiconductor audio applications work, and some understanding of the *very good* concept of the 'RMS' scheme that DBX style compressors used.  (The DBX style of RMS is NOT the same as what a non-audio EE normally thinks of as RMS.)

On the other hand, he might have some insight into other areas, but I am not convinced of usefulness of any high frequency material beyond 20-22kHz other than at very high powers to destroy/damage things.   There are also some nonlinear effects whereby above 20kHz sonic energy that can be used to produce audio from intermod...

So, yes, above 20kHz can be detected, but no -- they are not useful for music (unless 'music' include heating/physical damage/ or using intermod to produce pin-point audible sonic effects.)

John

1 hour ago, John Dyson said:

I always say that I prefer 48k over 44.1k sample rate for various esoteric reasons -- but for direct listening, 44.1k and 48k are the same.  That is, unless one of the fortunate VERY few who can hear at 21k or above.   Even then, most of the actual material on at least older distributed recordings are NR distortion splats.

John

I mean to say -- most of the signall above 20kHz on older, consumer material is NR distortion splats.  It is so easy to prove with the equipment used in the day.  It is not a matter of opinion, it is just what happens.  In the 'lab' or 'recording studio', there is a much greater likelihood of actual (unhearable) audio being represented by frequencies above 20kHz --  but then there is the responsibility of maintaining the quality of the analog electronics (avoiding the distortion mechanisms.)  Please refer to the op-amp distortion document that I pointed to a few weeks ago -- there be lots more dragons above 20kHz -- even starts happening sometimes around 10kHz --  than most people realize.

Much of the time (most of the time) the differences heard when changing filters at the 20kHz boundry are either timing issues with filter behaviors or differences due to distortion products reflecting into the audible range.

John

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

But you’re somehow one of only two people in the world who hear the difference between two identical files 😁

I *thought* i heard a difference on 'a certain test.'  I do lots of testing ALL OF THE TIME, and depend on my hearing...  However, just using hearing is not reliable when done casually.  At least, for reliable results, I really do need a better controlled environment, and at least use some statistics for comparisons.  For me, 'Sounds good' isn't even reliable -- esp at the end of the day.

Most difficult -- listening to/comparing  the entire recording.  It is so easy for the same recording to sound differently from play to play.

*in my case* the only way that my hearing is reliable at all -- listening for very specific instances of distortion, and whether or not that distortion is reduced or increased.  Even then, the relative measurement requires great care.

The general case of determining if a recording *is the same* -- super difficult, and for me requires statistics.  Almost every casual attempt at comparision results in embarassment.

John

2 hours ago, Paul R said:

Well, I actually meant the web, but I was on Usenet, Bitnet, and Arpanet. I get what you are saying. Heck, I remember having use bang paths for email. :)

I had a root account on ihnp4 :-).

(explanation -- ihnp4 was one of the more common servers on the bang path -- routing was mostly not automatic -- but some servers had a little more inteligence.) ihnp4 was very common bang path constituent for UUCP networks also.  Nowadays, everyone can route to anyone.

John

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, firedog said:

Red herring argument. Either the measurements are correct or not. People can differ in the interpretation of those measurements or the understanding of their importance. 

Where is there “blind belief”? If you can show their measurements are incorrect, show it. 

Lots of people on this site  have said they don’t think various measurements are definitive. That’s their opinion and their right. 
Daverich’s vague accusations are just that. People aren’t called “shills and trolls” because they present “facts and measurements” that differ. They are called shills ad trolls when their positions are contradicted by the measurements and they have no reasonable alternative explanation, nor alternative “facts and measurements”. Alternative opinions without showing a basis for them aren’t the same as alternative “facts and measurements”.

I don't think that most people argue that when (AS AN EXAMPLE):  there is a recording that has signal at up to maybe 40kHz -- that the signal isn't there.  It is more that there can be interpretations if the signal is useful...  Sometimes a signal can be coherent from some other signal device, sometimes a signal can be an IMD splat from an NR system, sometimes the signal can actually be audio from a microphone.  Secondarily, there are issues about the actual quality or useful signal level of the 40kHz signal, and most importantly -- can anyone detect that signal as directly being a part of 'music'.

The discussions are more fine than a simple disagreement about specific facts.  One problem with these discussions happens because it can be a little tricky to separate out the aspects of the discussion and not confuse them.

Depending on agenda, the 'facts' can be somewhat convincingly interpreted in different ways.

Organizing the facts in a discussion can be tricky, and there seem to be a lot of traps and pitfalls when there are so many different weightings of the importance of the facts, let alone judging whether or not that the facts are accurate.

This problem associated with organizing the facts, understanding the ramifications, weighting the importance  ALONG with the emotional aspects conceptually reminds me of 'herding cats'. 

John