IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

3 hours ago, Confused said:

As a follow up to my post earlier this week, I can now report back after my visit yesterday to the Bristol Sound and Vision show. 

Personally I was going because GIK were exhibiting for the first time, and I was interested in taking a look at some of their products and having a chat with them regarding some ideas and questions that I have.  This much worked out well, in fact I am very glad I made the effort to go.  Lets put it this way, I can look at GIK products on their website and pick the style and colour that I prefer, but when I see the actual products in the flesh, it is a different colour and style that really like.  The internet is great but it has its limitations, if I had selected products on line rather than seeing for real, I would not have made the best choices.

Anyway, back to MQA.  I drove to Bristol with a friend that was interested in going and listening to a couple of things that were on demo.  When driving, we came up with a plan and some rules for the show.  If we were ever in a room and an MQA logo was visible and a sales person was either on hand or actually pestering, the rule was that we had to ask the question "what is MQA".  This was just a bit of a lark, and we thought it might be fun to see what responses we got.  We made it all the way through the morning, past lunch, and to be honest had not seen an MQA logo, no posters displaying MQA capability or anything else.  So as a general impression, I think is quite possible that someone could visit the show not knowing MQA existed, and leaving still not knowing.  It was not being pushed by anyone.  I even wandered into the Pro-ject room, knowing that they had MQA DAC / streamers at the show.  What I had not fully realised is that they do not actually have MQA logos on them, so even looking at MQA capable devices you could miss MQA completely, you might just spot it if you read the little specification cards displayed next to some of the products, but nobody seemed to be making a big thing out of it.

Then we visited the Hegel room.  Hegel were actually doing a very interesting demo.  They had a relatively small room, with the Hegel H190, H390 and H590 and a pair of KEF LS50's, they were playing a couple of tracks then swapping the amps for comparison.  When I was there I heard the H590, then the H190, and for me it was very interesting to hear the difference between the two, even with the relatively modest, perhaps price inappropriate, KEF LS50's.  As a off topic subjective comment, I have to say that the H590 LS50 combo was actually amongst the very best sounding rooms in the show, quite impressive.

Back on topic, during the amp swap, it happened!  The Hegel rep was running through the streaming options offered by the H590, so the normal stuff "It'll do AirPlay, UPnP, Spotify Connect, all your streaming services, it even has full MQA decoding and rendering".  Bingo!  That was it, MQA is alive and well, it was mentioned by the Hegel rep!  Plus full credit to my companion for the day, straight in there with the key question, zero hesitation, "what is MQA"?  I thought the Hegel rep's answer was actually quite interesting, he said something along the lines of "it is for when you want to listen to high-res material from Tidal, they use MQA to reduce the file size for streaming, you need the MQA decoder to bring this back to high-res".  The point is, it was quite a dry and matter of fact response, no mention of deblurring, time domain accuracy or anything else, he just pitched it as something that might be useful to have if you want to stream Tidal.

So based on what I saw at Bristol, MQA is not entirely dead.  It does look a little sad though, like a withering plant that you don't think will survive the winter.  Oh, an Qobuz has a stand there, pushing their new reduced price hi-res streaming deal.

To put this in perspective, I noticed that on the Bristol Sound and Vision website, there are links to this year's show guide, and those from past years.  If you search the pdf's, there are no references to MQA in the 2020 or 2019 show guide.  The 2018 show guide has three MQA mentions, in iFi and Bluesound listings. The 2017 show guide has 10 mentions, from Tidal, Bluesound, Technics, Pioneer and Audioquest.  Then to 2016, just the one mention, for the Pioneer XDP-100R DAP.  The 2015 show guide is particularly interesting, there are three MQA mentions, but these all exist in press listings, for What Hifi and Hifi Critic.  Then back to 2014, no mentions, basically MQA does not exist yet.  So from 2015, you see it mentioned by the press, then listed for one manufacturer in 2016, by 2017 you hit the peak, then by 2018 there are signs of withering, and for 2019 / 2020 is has basically disappeared, or at least it has in terms of anything that manufacturers actually want in their show guide listing.

The show guides are here if you want to take a look for yourself, I quite enjoyed seeing how the listings have evolved over the last few years:

https://www.bristolshow.co.uk/showguide.lasso

As a complete off topic aside, the weather is appalling in the UK at the moment and the driving conditions were quite bad at times when heading to Bristol on the M4.  Nevertheless, I was surprised at just how quickly we got there.  Not so on the way home, multiple accidents on the motorway, one was quite spectacular with overturned vehicles etc.  We made it back safe and sound though (eventually).  I am having a quiet day at home today! 

Great post. Thank you. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Here is a link to the MQA CDs that Universal Music Japan is selling in their online store:

https://store.universal-music.co.jp/GoodsSearchList.jsp?keyword=mqa&sort_order=RaF-desc&perpage=72

It shows both what's currently available and pipeline for upcoming releases.

If someone will buy it, someone will sell it. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 minutes ago, Ran said:

Another poor choice with false advertising. MQA CD - https://lalalandrecords.com/swarm-the-limited-edition-2-cd-set/

Ha!

This release is MQA encoded. Listeners with an MQA decoder can enjoy this album in high resolution, up to 176.4 kHz/24-bit, from these Compact Discs.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Andy, if they were doing just fine the following would have been addressed. The website would be updated so the store button would say where to buy since they haven't had a store since 2018. 2L used to be a site for people who liked Norwegian music to go. Without the store it is work to find this music and this customer base should have cared for better. That 2L hasn't done these two things causes me to wonder about other things like finances. 

The New York Times is doing just fine if you think a decline in revenue from 2005 to 2019 of over 40% is good. I don't. They are still struggling with their digital revenue model. 

Not everything is a nail to your hammer. 

38 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

Just IMO -- NOT intending on shilling my project, but if the distributors -- esp HDtracks -- would actually provide much higher quality than otherwise available, not just more bits, then they might really expand their market and create loyalty.   As it is, a slightly (very slightly) clearer version of a 'CD with more bits', with some of the noise/splats/errant signals above 20kHz -- should be filtered out anyway, is not a compelling purchase.

If there is something that actually makes a product SUPERIOR and not just better in a very 'esoteric' way, then they just might make a real place for themselves in the market.

John

Download stores are at the mercy of the rights holders. For example, if a download store worked with a label to allow the store to pay for an album to be remastered, the store would only have an exclusive on that remaster it paid for and went through all the hassle to do, for a very short period of time. After this, the new remaster must be provided to all the competitors. 

It’s no wonder that download stores are hesitant. 

33 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Automated processing is the reason I was against MQA in the first place. It can't be done in the current environment. 

Don't rewrite history Steve. You have many years of documented history against MQA that has nothing to do with automated processing.

As you were. 

3 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

It was the first thing I talked about with MQA representatives at T.H.E. Show in Irvine California 20016. We didn't meet until RMAF 2016.  If you look back at the tape I said I had two winning hands. This was one of the cards. 

I hate to say it but you’re a legend in your own mind. 

1 hour ago, FredericV said:

At least we see a reposted @Archimago article in the Tidal group, and then the usual response from you know who, the same hand fed canned article which was already debunked.

afbeelding.png.a46f09089f95ae780ca7e67c574a097c.png

He made a hobby out of understanding the technology! 

I don’t understand people and their motivations. 

5 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Impressive!

No not at all, but evidently he feels there are plenty of Facebook "followers" who can be persuaded otherwise. He's a veritable Facebook superstar in his own mind, a real "influencer".

The part that baffles me, is what’s in it for him and the other MQA “influencers?”

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, UkPhil said:

Nothing like using a global health crisis to attempt to boost one’s brand with an infomercial.

I read the first few fake questions and almost puked. 

A990AF03-09C4-4469-9ABF-1367DB07C74E.jpeg