IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

16 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Chris

You have had the opportunity twice now to try and verify my reports, which Martin Colloms has already verified using the so called " Gold Standard" DBTs. The first time was 10 years ago when you actually downloaded the files then refused to listen to them.

In the same thread, the highly sceptical Peter St. DID report hearing the differences along with a friend.

(" Looking for a job outside I.T. now ")

Do you REALLY believe that John who is highly qualified in  this area made such a monumental stuff up with his indepth reports ?

You are also aware that Barry Diament who is now a good online friend of mine,. also reported hearing differences, along with his wife, using his studio gear for seamless switching between tracks with my supplied CD-R that he had ripped to HDD again, although it was intended to be listened to directly.

Alex

hearing and the brain are so very unreliable -- people can even hear things differently every time that they listen -- that is what got me, eveb though  I know about that fact of variable hearing.

I did a complete, bit by bit comparison of the 05 and 05b files -- exactly the same, and will produce exactly the same results -- it is HEARING that is variable for almost EVERYONE -- the answer to variable hearing is to run multiple tests, and do statistical analysis and also check at different times during the day.

This fact about variable hearing is one reason why myths get created and passed around over and over again.

PS: even headphones sitting differently on the head can make a big difference...

John

1 minute ago, Ralf11 said:

MQA sux

Sorry for diverting the subject -- but the discussion is Bad Bad Bad Good Bad Bad Good, etc.  There really isn't an answer or resolution about MQA.  I know that MQA doesn't have a benefit to the customer nowadays, but those profiting see a great benefit...

MQA is pretty much resolved -- unless people just like to argue :-).

John

Abt MQA -- if MQA was the 'standard', more than likely, I couldn't easily get enoughtest material needed for my project.  Sure, 'scientific' measurement material is critical, but also crazy test material from the artists is also very--super important.  Someone might say -- 'who cares about your project?'...   (see below)

Resulting from having GOOD test material from the normal, unencrypted recordings -- I just found another breakthrough.  I cannot explain it for proprietary reasons, but for all practical purposes EVERY LAST BIT OF MODULATION DISTORTION IS GONE!!!  I have NO 'scientific' test material that puts the software through its paces like pop recordings/classical/etc.  The dynamics are very difficult to create (so many combinations.)   ABBA is crazy difficult to decode (my decoder can now do an incredibly good job on 'Dreamworld', but still isn't perfect of course -- it is damaged), but Carpenters and Carly Simon are also 'problem children' for DolbyA (amongst others.)

So, to answer who cares?  anyone who listens to music that is still DolbyA encoded should care (a lot of the older recordings, but certainly not all.)  Also, material that would improve from being decoded again would DEFINITELY benefit  the listeners.  I have been very busy after some revelations (cleaning up the code, preparing for the C4 work.)  The new code might also be applicable to C4 (if it is as dirty as a DolbyA is.)   Frankly, re-decoding even if already DolbyA HW decoding would make an incredible improvement (almost beyond belief.)

Well, why can't I just get licenses for proper, undistorted, clean material?  Because any non-standard license cost money, and people are happily paying for substandard and/or undecoded material all too often.  This means that the 'market' for my product is NIL (it really *is* very small, but existant.)  The market will also not pay megabucks if they get by with paying almost miniscule amounts for reasonable DAW software.  We have interest from organizations & recording people that most people wouldn't really believe (I cannot divulge.)

Projects like mine would not exist if everything was encumbered.  Of course, there would be work-arounds to decode the distorted/over complicated/some-snake-oil  mess called MQA  (would probably be technically illegal to bypass), but there is no benefit to the community at large given that I try to be ethical/follow rules (which I really try to be -- sometimes unknowingly fail.)  My project DOES NOT financially justify purchasing any specialty software or specialty recordings.

This MQA problem would definitely a 2nd order quality disadvantage, but shows an example about people trying to get full control, really EVENTUALLY would disadvantage a lot of people (it doesn't really affect me -- I'd be working on another project, just not audio.)

Of course, someone else could write the program that II have written (most likely, they would not have found some of the super-duper advanced  techniques because of the limited time & resources), rather than the software likely costing under $500 like mine, it would have to cost $10k or more, & almost definitely be inferior-- anyway, it would be dead in the water right there because of the cost/price.

MQA doesn't have evil intent (it is okay to siphon money from people), it is just the wrong thing (excessive control) at the wrong time (who cares about big files, unless excessively big, anymore?)  Like I wrote before, maybe people from impoverished nations might care about bandwidth costs, but they certainly couldn't pay for a greater tax anyway (MQA's overhead.)

Timing is wrong for MQA, and it just dirtifies the signal with insufficient benefit to the consumer.  (Some benefit to the IP owners -- even negligent benefit for the artists.)

John

1 hour ago, Jud said:

There were MQA tracks I liked better as well, but they were obviously different masters.  This made me think of how the better masterings could sound if they hadn't gone through the process that made the MQA White Album sound worse to you.

In my opinion, even though MQA might not be a good thing -- the mastering problem is often worse when it comes to technical quality. (That is, ignoring the financal/political/licensing aspects.)   I sure hope that people don't really blame the mastering engineers either -- blame the beancounters that keep the engineers from doing their due diligence and spending the time needed to do a good job.

As far as I know, there is frustration about this matter on both sides of the mastering/consumer side of things.

John

8 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Why?  Just ignore the MQA stuff.  There is little of it, still, on Qobuz and there's lots of great music in lossless formats.

I isn't just MQA -- it is also the transient nature -- the lack of posession.  Probably a generational culture difference.  Too much control, alteration and dependency for my own emotional comfort.   (As my grandma used to say -- a little off color -- 'whatever blows your skirt up' :-)).

8 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I could discover music and performances via streaming, but only a reduced subset of what I want to try out - mostly recent items.

Instead, I use the xlnt collection of CDs at our city library, with a university library for backup (which has a very decent music school - tho not competitive with the music school/library at Indiana univ. like this place thinks they are...).

But that may not apply to others.

There is also bandcamp.

For stuff that I really like (or use for reference), I tend to need specific release versions.   Not every version of Carpenters is mastered appropriately, not every version of ABBA has been processed/mastered correctly (for a really sickening time -- listen to the premium  'The Complete Studio Recordings -- Crest of 4.6, peak-rms of 13-14dB -- BAD!!!)  There is a lot of substandard material out there, and for stuff that I love (or use as a reference), I want the proper version.  On the other hand, if I don't care, then listen to free radio.   The in-between version of paying for online-listening (streaming) seems to be a lot like a jukebox, and I never liked jukeboxes.  The jukebox might not have my chosen selection forever, so why keep on supporting it?)

1 hour ago, bluesman said:

A lot of what's substandard out there is the music, not the recording and its presentation.  "You can't shine [expletive deleted by author]."

I don't think I'm narcoleptic.  I can listen through almost any music to hear the musicians' parts and appreciate the technical quality of the charts, the playing, and the recording.  I can stay awake listening to Kenny G, even if I do have to keep reminding myself that he's a skilled musician and an educated man who simply chooses to play sonic Sominex.  But I have a bit of trouble with the Carpenters and ABBA as reference source material :)

Every night I say a little prayer: "May ABBA never emerge from my speakers!"

PS:  Karen Carpenter was actually a fair drummer, but she couldn't play well enough to do studio work and apparently had some difficulty singing her best while also playing.

My primary interest in ABBA is not the music, it is the really difficult mix of mixed female vocals, wall of sound, and hard compression.  it is a total b*tch to decode.  Think about this -- lots of potentials for IMD because of multiple vocals near same frequency, then the wall of sound adding in a randomizing factor,, and then hard limiting (or intense compression) giving a nice relatively square  shape to the envelope.

(I am in the Indy area -- I know ALL ABOUT Wes M....)

I am actually quite proud that my decoder can produce ABBA results that sound surprisingly good -- definitely better than you have ever heard...  Would it improve the lyrics?  That would be a silly  question; Here is a silly answer:  Yes :-).

Karen's material also has problems -- they used DolbyA to enhance her voice -- bring up the highs from her relatively mellow vocals.  DolbyA sounds BAD if not decoded, then only sounds kind-of bad if it IS decoded (most of the pop material between the late 1960's through early 1990s')   Using my decoder actually cleans up the sound VERY VERY significantly -- got the idea?  The purpose is NOT ABBA, even though it helps their recordings also.

On a scale of 1 to 10 in my enjoyment of music -- I'd give ABBA a 3 (because it is either happy or bright, not because of trivial lyrics.)  I like Karen carpenters stuff better, and material like Nat King Cole even better.  (I did like Simon & Garfunkel until my deocder showed the recordings not as good as they initially sounded -- kind of ruined the experience.)  Linda Ronstadt vocals are often distorted by the Aphex distorter (I think that is the name, or should be.)

Almost every pop group has a problem (early Beatles -- often bad stereo or mono, pick one.)

There is nothing that is perfect -- I can criticize almost everything, sometimes it is best just to enjoy.

John

46 minutes ago, garrardguy60 said:

I am with you on ABBA and the Carpenters [though the latter isn't at the same level of abject suckitude, since Karen Carpenter had talent], but I have to step in and defend Wes Montgomery's California Dreamin'  [which was on Verve, not A&M]. I'll agree with you that, as easy listening/smooth jazz, we're not talking about breaking any ground here. But I'd argue that the [unique, wonderful] tone he got out of his guitar makes anything by Wes Montgomery worthwhile. Doubly so since he died so young. Interestingly, that album, which charted in 1966, has just been reissued on vinyl by Impulse Records, though it seems to be available only in Europe.  OK, sorry for off-topic.

The problem for my project about material with natural instruments and unprocessed vocals is that they make very poor, non rigorous test material.  Sounding 'nice by default' doesn't help my project.  (BTW, my best friend just recently had been working at the Walker Theater on Indiana Avenue (short street where Wes M played).)  Nice sounding music to begin with is SO VERY EASY to deal with -- way back when R Dolby created his DolbyA, I am sure that he didn't forsee the stuff that was going to be fed to his NR system.

This kind of unforseen limitation is the reason why schemes like MQA, mp3, opus and other lossy systems will tend to limit the choices for the future.  I am working hard to help mitigate the previous damage by DolbyA (as much as possible.)

Using nice, mellow music just does NOT test the dynamics processing, doesn't usually stress the attack/decay enough to intermodulate sufficiently to even produce much audible damage.  (The worst kind of bad thing that DolbyA did against typical, natural music was to fuzz up complex combinations of sources and also blunted the transients.)  DolbyA  can lose intensity in cymbals, and vocal choruses lose clarity/individual voices.  Typically, vocals turn into a 'blob'.

The way that my processing works is to do some very complex mathmatical tricks to keep the 'blob' from being so very bad.  There are the obvious 'tricks' like limiting the gain control slew rate -- that is trivial.  There are other techniques that treat the audio signal as being modulated -- and does some processing that removes undesired modulation sidebands (often called IMD, but it is a specific kind of IMD associated with gain control devices.)

I didin't intend to bring up the 'clarity and cleanness' of ABBA recordings (or their sophisticated lyrics), or the perfectly clean recordings made of Karen Carpenter (very sad, actually) -- but that my decoder can actually deal clealy with the damage -- and actually sound relatively clean, being able to more clearly hear individual voices, etc. (big smiley for the humor impaired.)

The processing DOES work on more normal chorus and instrumentals also -- some of my professionally sourced test recordings are complete, professional DolbyA  in a full 192k/24bit unmastered form.  (I do have some relatively well known professional recordings by moderately well known arties, some soon to be released -- I use them for testing, but it does NO-ONE any good to talk about them in detail.)  The clean, jazz type material is damaged by normal DolbyA decoding, but not enough to be used for anything except final quality control and estimate quality improvement.

Being able to cleanly decode DolbyA encoded ABBA is an achievement, because a DolbyA does it so very poorly.

Who really cares if ABBA might suck in some people's opinion -- I know people who think the opposite (E. european females of the 40-60yr age group) - music taste is based upon individual perceptions & experience.

Frankly, there is material that I know a lot of 'elite' listeners might like, but I totally dislike -- however, you'll NEVER hear me condemn or criticize their taste.   BTW -- ABBA for music quality doesn't rate super high on my scale either -- but that isn't the main reason for using it for test material.  I only have about 70-80 96k/24bit DolbyA ABBA recordings -- imagine needing to listen for IMD for every internal release/test pass that I do?  I am very tired of ABBA, Carpenters and almost every other copy of DolbyA material that I do have.

One thing that I can say for sure -- when the decoder actually makes something from ABBA sound clean/clear, it makes me feel really good, like I have achieved something -- will help other people also, who listen to much more popular groups than even ABBA was at one time.

Processing like SR is much worse than A -- and Dolby B/C being relatively unsophisticated, also has lots of quality issues.  Lots of damage went on back in the past.

John

I have put up a demo of the DA decoder to show the difference -- if you notice that the Polar version has swishy percussion and generally softer sound.  I don't know if vocals are cleaner on this example (sometimes there is already distortion in the recordings.)  There is a bit of compression in the polar version, so it isn't 100% fair.  But notice the positive, clear sound of the dhnrds, but the polar version is softer than even the compression should cause.

BTW -- I found that my copy of the Waterloo album has lots of noise glitches in  it (haven't heard them before, but the DHNRDS cleans up the material so much that they become obvious.)  Then, I listened to the Polar digital copy, and could JUST BARELY hear the glitches.  A normal DolbyA device fuzzes over the detail.

The dhnrds HAS been compared against other original master tapes also -- but not in this specific case.  All I have for ABBA are several properly DolbyA decoded examples of each song.  The DHNRDS USUALLY compares fairly well with an original -- and USUALLY blows away DolbyA HW.  DHNRDS isn't always perfect -- FOR SURE!!!

Sorry for using mp3, but it does show most of the differences.  The DHNRDS really does need .flac or lossless to show the quality -- mp3 does miss a LOT of detail.  The player on dropbox isn't very good -- so I don't know if will gloss over the differences.  I normally use sox or convert it with one of the mp3 tools.

The quality IS NOT GREAT -- but I think that you can see how difficult that ABBA is to process.  I know that the DHNRDS IS pretty accurate -- the quality of pop recordings is generally pretty low.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/prkz8ghg4jwqw2w/nameofthegame-dhnrds.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ey502pue7kr1nk4/nameofthegame-polar.mp3?dl=0

Wont post any more links -- just wanted to show that the DHNRDS can sound pretty good also (th ABBA stuff is really a mess, REALLY.)

Here is a short Linda R snippet (I haven't massaged it -- this is raw, and not tweaked):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v34yepx63x1n7zy/Pitiful-dhnrds.mp3?dl=0

You'' maybe notice that there is a spot where the vocals are a little odd sounding -- that is because I didn't set the calibration quite right.  Also, the DHNRDS has lower quality modes that sound VERY SIMILAR to a real DolbyA.

No more space wasting and off topic.

Bottom line -- it is SOOOO important to keep from doing things that will be regretted in the future (e.g. DolbyA, MQA, etc.)

John

5 hours ago, Don Hills said:

<off sides for a minute -- and back on subject after this paragraph>

It is a moderately special case, but whole thing about licensed music has been tricky for me when trying to demo the results of my project.  On a micro (once in a long while -- here is hout it sounds, one-on-one) scale, I tend to be a little lax, but cannot broadcast entire songs without either feeling guilty or possibly even getting in trouble.  The results of my work WILL benefit the industry, but in the entire scheme of things, 99% of the time the material would have just been copied (I mean peer to peer -- maybe through a You Tube, then people not paying for the benefit of the music) and not reviewed.  Most of the real-world copying is NOT for review, but instead for simply adding to a collection (and not paying.)

Any deep resentments against the license holders do NOT count -- they own the stuff.  There are limitations as to how they can control it, but there are also limitations as to how the material should be distributed.

Excessive cheating WILL encourage the creating of Frankenstein monsters like MQA.  Perfectly clean material will cause restrictiveness like the control of HDTV signals (used to have unencoded HDTV around until stuff like HDMI.)  NTSC/PAL equivalents (the junk coming out of a home VHS//SVHS/Beta/EDBeta VCR is a very poor excuse for NTSC/PAL) have been available, but as the quality increases -- the restrictivness has also increased.  The risk of duplication is always in the back of the owners minds.  With VHS/Beta, there are only so many generations that one can go before the video is pretty much one big blob on the screen.  With properly done digital video, you can copy infinitely.  (Even my D9 decks where  I resolved  down to YUV analog and back, would do 10generations and barely decrease to Betacam SP level quality.)  That was just about the time that NTSC/PAL really started dying off anyway -- now who really cares much about NTSC/PAL master quality?

HDTV, on the other hand, starts coming close to the family jewels (Original Tron was done something like 600-700 lines AFAIR, many more recent movie masters with special effects were at 2k-4k -- now are probably much higher.  The stuff being displayed on consumer TVs has approaching master quality now.)

Right now, we often have access to pretty good audio -- in fact, by the stupidity and short sightedeness of some of the distributors, SOMETIMES they have let the family jewels out by distributing almost unmolested DolbyA copies of older material.  (Not really here nor there in this specific discussion.)

If there would be a culture where people would think twice about creating massive copies of their collections, material like MQA would have less strong justification vis-a-vis DRM.

DRM stuff more helps to minimize fear than anything else.  YouTube with their detection systems (IMO) seem to help more than hurt -- because people often do use YouTube to share.  The $$$ can still go to into the correct pockets.

(Guess just rambling -- and right now have troubles with demos BECAUSE of TRYING to follow the rules a little.)

John

17 minutes ago, bluesman said:

That thing was called the Aphex Aural Exciter - there was one in every studio rack in America back in the day. I’m lucky enough to live in Philly, the home of the original Sigma Sound Studios (where I got to record as a sideman on several instruments). I don’t remember if they had an AAE, but it wouldn’t surprise me to learn that even Sigma used it when producers asked for it. I suspect that Rudy VG never did, but I don’t know this for certain.

Yeah -- you are right about the so called 'Exciter' :-).  I wrote a program that can undo some of the phase distortion done to Linda Ronstadt and others, but was only partially successful (it takes multiple passes & teaking to properly undo each recording.  It makes it so she has less of an electronic lisp, but is too much work to use.  I still think that 'distorter' is a more accurate term 🙂 (really -- I mean it with humor, not arrogance :-)).

On 4/16/2019 at 3:16 PM, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Wow.7digital is actually a really good FLAC download store. It would be a shame.

It also is further proof that even LOSSLESS Redbook music in a non physical format is dying a death. To the mass of consumers Mp3 IS lossless.

geesh, I have been putting together a beautiful demo for the ABBACHAT group, and tried to encode it into mp3 format (lame, in insane 320k mode, with all of the checks enabled, and carefully limited bandwidth to avoid any kind of possible artifacts.)  Mp3 sounds kind of bad (actually fairly bad, definitely not great.)  The material that I can produce is SIGNIFICANTLY better than mp3 (with 40yr old ABBA), let alone the more recent studios that could totally blow it away.  (I did careful processing & mastering -- much better than any demo that I might have done here.)

Mp3 might be okay for cars or listening while running, but it is really not all that great IMO.  And I do NOT have 'golden ears' at all.

John

5 hours ago, Paul R said:

To me, MP3 anf 320bps sounds very close to CD quality. Sometimes there is just something not quite right about it, but it is usually at least listenable.  What SRC did you use to convert it with? I have grown quite fond of iZotope RX7. (Which my spelling checker insists on changing to isotope.)

I used my own cobbled together research engineering type stuff.  I very very seldomly use stuff like Audacity, even though it is sometimes convienient for certain things.   My DolbyA decoder is as advanced as ever produced -- does do amazing things to correct the distortions, even some from encoding.  Software that was a 2wk project (for the audio processing portions -- usually it is GUI that takes the time) just cannot compare with carefully crafted material.  The DolbyA compatible decoder isn't just a single band fake (or a sloppy multiband) like some other decoders available for purchase.  This decoder is SUPER sophisticated and does mostly match as closely as various versions of DolbyA HW match (which is specifically not too difficult a goal.)  Except for improved distortion characteristics, the DHNRDS DA decoder mostly sounds like a DolbyA.

(My bragging results from a multi-year project, but my ego is just barely big enough to avoid Napolean complex type things.  After a fairly competent engineer sucessfully develops a difficult project like this, he/she deserves a bit of self congratulation. 🙂)  Even if the decoder is bad (which all feedback that I have received says that it is very good), I would self congratulate because I tried very hard.

The mp3 encoder that I compared the results with 'lame', which I have heard is one of the better encoders.  mp3 using that encoder left a lot to be desired even at 320k.  * I do have to admit that sometimes the DHNRDS decoder has produced especially difficult material to mp3 encode because of suboptimal quality -- and erroneously producing difficult-to-encode audio.  I don't think that this instance is such a case -- but at least I am trying to fully inform about possible mistakes.

I will try to post some comparisons today or tomorrow.  I found another quality optimization in the DolbyA decoder (also busy doing the security mechanisms -- my project partner tells me that the decoder (DHNRDS project) will be stolen otherwise.)  For only 10dB,10dB,10dB and 15dB processing for each band, there are LOTS of mistakes that the hardware, software and basic design can make...  This has been both a fun and frustrating project.

I will do EVERYTHING that I can to put together a clean demo today.  When I upload the results to Dropbox, remember that the default mp3 decoder used when on Dropbox is insanely bad.  It would be unfair against mp3 to depend on the Dropbox decoder.

John

On 4/19/2019 at 9:43 PM, Archimago said:

@John Dyson, could you perhaps post even just a few minutes of what you've been putting together in FLAC and the LAME encoded 320kbps MP3. Would be great to have a listen for comparison.

Thanks...

I am so sorry that this took so long to do.  I get distracted and forget things.  Lately, been writing some licensing software, and that is so far afield from what I know that I am becoming frustrated all of the time.

I put together some chopped (sorry, I might have forgotten to 'fade' them instead of chop them) demos of freshly and unEQed decoding results by the DolbyA compatible decoder.

First -- I did NO EQ or ANY KIND of compression of the decoding output.  This is RAW output, and I have just rebuilt the decoder correctly (I think...)  Been working on some very subtle performance improvements -- which often totally break the decoder for a while, but I think that it is put back together correctly.

There are also equivalent .mp3 results at 320k.  Listening carefully, you can tell that the output directly from a DolbyA encoded (then decoded) copy can be pretty darned high quality -- when compared to the original source material.

IF you do compare with equivalent commercial releases -- make sure to start with properly mastered releases -- a lot of releases are DolbyA encoded or badly EQed.  I usually try to use original vinyl for comparison.  The vinyl is not higher quality, but is a good basis of comparison for EQ.

ABBA is doubly problematical -- their music is consistently difficult to properly decode, but there are often flaws in the recordings also.  Another thing about ABBA -- I have 3 undecoded DolbyA copies of some ABBA songs, and each one sounds different.  I think that the SOS example that I uploaded is not mutiply encoded/decoded.  DolbyA starts getting ugly after multiple encode/decode cycles, so I have tried to find the best sources in my collection.

One other thing -- it is INCREDIBLY tricky to distinguish between poor mastering and leaked DolbyA material.  I can often be tricked into thinking that something is leaked DolbyA, when it really isn't.  I use multiple criteria to demonstrate the high liklihoood -- including looking at the noise spectrum -- because DolbyA creates certain patterns and shapes in the spectograms.  Also, I am pretty good at detecting the HF compression when using DolbyA, but pop material is already compressed -- so it can be confusing to make the correct judgement call.  So, when I don't actually KNOW that I am providing properly decoded material, I have super high confidence that this started with leaked DolbyA material. (Legally leaked/properly purchased is what I mean.)

All said, there is almost the best possible copies of some of the material, and the mp3 version -- encoded with lame in 'insane' mode.  I will also be trying to compare these today (again), and others might be interested in trying to detect differences.  THESE ARE SHORTENED to try to be a good citizen, but to avoid any kind of long-term distribution of even the snippets, I'll be deleting these examples within about a wk or so.  These are shortened enough that the material is a tease and might motivate purchase of the music :-).

I am notoriously bad at swapping the L+R channels also -- note that in any comparisons with normal releases -- sometimes the DolbyA encoded versions have swapped channels, and I don't know why that sometimes seems to be true.

Here are the demos (this is all 1960's/1970's stuff, I think pretty good for the timeframe):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ab9nhtqjforacd8/AABvt7IYgoob7VXxpN0ekK6ra?dl=0

John

On 4/25/2019 at 9:49 AM, John Dyson said:

Here are the demos (this is all 1960's/1970's stuff, I think pretty good for the timeframe):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ab9nhtqjforacd8/AABvt7IYgoob7VXxpN0ekK6ra?dl=0

Demo snippets re-uploaded at around 5-6AM EST/USA time.

Just fixed a minor, but noticeable bug in the demos.  At this point (after my review this morning), I believe that IN GENERAL, the quality is as good as is available to the consumer -- except I believe that the Linda Ronstadt snippets might be mildly compressed.

The encode/decode distortion still persists in my copies of the Carpenter's albums -- not sure if the examples that I uploaded have an obvious case of the distortion.  The Carpenters did a bit too much processing, therefore obscuring Karen C's special voice.

Well, the specifics here are NOT on topic, but rather this ancient material would be good for encoding/decoding comparison.  I HAVE run into cases where mp3 is not transparent on the Brasil'66 material.  Multi-generation DolbyA encode/decode material like the Carpenters don't really tax mp3 all that much.

Mastering IS the big variable in consumer audio quality also -- we consumers need to somehow demand good quality remastering, and not just 'compress and compress more' for remastered releases.  The ABBA 'Complete Studio Recordings' show AM radio processor style compression (within a few minutes -- I'll upload the equivalent TCSR version of the ABBA snippets as an example.)  The Carpenters release available through HDtracks is also much further processed than the original albums.  I believe that the HDtracks copy of the Carpenters (not really HDtracks fault, but rather the distributor) is also leaked DolbyA, I believe that I did an analysis, but should probably recheck.

*added comment -- after listening again, I don't think that the TCSR recordings were DolbyA decoded before the extreme compression during mastering.  The TCSR is a real mess.

We gotta demand better mastering, then the 44.1k/16bits or 96k/24bits or whatever become a LITTLE more operative -- but still not really all that important.   14bits with stolen bits need not apply, however.  IMO -- my opinion only, quality issues are totally masked by mastering (or lack-off.)

John