IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

15 hours ago, mansr said:

Those are just some possible configurations. The Meridian Explorer 2, for instance, has a full MQA decoder on the XMOS chip that also handles USB input. Since all MQA-enabled DACs to date are merely firmware updates of existing models, there can't be a dedicated MQA chip involved.

Hi Mansr,

I'm pretty sure that this is not the case for the Mytek DACs. Looking inside there is a powerful Altera FPGA, an ST ARM processor, an NXP processor, plus an XMOS chip. My guess is that their designs used the Altera for a lot of things - but not digital filtering. All of the Mytek DACs simply offer the consumer to select between the digital filters built into the ESS DAC chip used, and unlike (say, Chord and Ayre) do not implement any custom digital filters in it, even though most FPGAs include specific features to make this quite easy.

2016-03-04_Mytek-Brooklyn_006.jpg

2016-03-04_Mytek-Brooklyn_007.jpg

If Mytek were more clever, they could have taken the approach used by the AudioQuest Black and Red Dragonflies - just use the FPGA to load the MQA coefficients into the ESS DAC chip's programmable digital filter. But instead they apparently just used the implementation that Meridian had developed (using the XMOS chip to perform both the upsampling and digital filtering required for MQA) and added that on top of their existing design. Not that there is necessarily an performance disadvantage to either method, just that the AudioQuest approach is more economical, in terms of overall cost, PCB space, and power consumption.

Hope this helps,

Charles Hansen

EDIT: It is possible that (just as with the Meridian Explorer2) that Mytek is using the XMOS chip for the USB decoding as well. In that case it could just be a matter of changing the firmware - as long as the chosen part had enough extra computing power to add the MQA functionality. But clearly there is a lot of computational horsepower inside the Mytek, and they could be doing their USB decoding in any one of at least three of those chips. It would likely be easiest in the XMOS as XMOS supplies the Thesycon driver required for most versions of Windows (except for the very latest release of Win 10) to use Class 2 audio and go past 96kHz.

Charles Hansen

Dumb Analog Hardware Engineer
Former Transducer Designer

13 hours ago, firedog said:

Well the claim by people who's ability to write about is restricted by NDA is that there is more going on than the filtering and that Archi's tests aren't doing anything like testing MQA vs non MQA.....

Hi Firedog,

Who is saying that? One should remember that almost all of the people who have signed up are those that don't know how to make their own digital filters. I've been surprised at some of the claims made by those using MQA. I don't think they are lying, I think they truly don't understand the technology. There are less than a dozen  companies making their own digital filters.

Thanks,

Charles Hansen

Charles Hansen

3 hours ago, Don Hills said:

Mans, I haven't seen anything about the coefficients of the filters used to split (and later rejoin) the audio into the 0-24 and 24-48 KHz bands for "origami" folding. Are they also leaky and "time optimised"? I would expect the performance of these filters to be more critical than the anti-alias / anti image filters. 

Hi Don,

In the Pinkfish thread where John Westlake (designer of an MQA-enabled DAC) posts, he claims the exact opposite - that the "real secret" are the reconstruction filters used in the DAC:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=206723

(No registration required to view.)

In this post:  http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3210264&postcount=69   Mr. Westlake shows his lack of understanding as he apparently does not realize that the ESS DAC chips used actually allow the digital filter to be completely bypassed.

Further underscoring his lack of understanding is here:  http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3210276&postcount=71  where he regurgitates the MQA talking points despite the fact that Mansr and Archimago have measured them and shown them not to be true. In that same post he shows further lack of understanding by claiming that "many DAC's are only 24 but [sic] input limiting the mathematical precession [sic] of the process - hardware rendering avoids all these issues" as apparently he doesn't realize that MQA limits the audio resolution to only about 17 bits (MQA's noise-shaped dithering results in the noise floor varying throughout the audio band) so there is very little point in using filters with more than 24 bits of precision.

Finally in this post:  http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3210290&postcount=76  Mr. Westlake believes that he understands the advantages of MQA but that MQA has simply not properly explained them to the public, which I find to be somewhat ironic.

Hope this helps,

Charles Hansen

Charles Hansen

5 hours ago, firedog said:

And do have any idea what he means by this:

As I also mentioned the Renderer also has other processing - not just the Time domain processing.

Hi Firedog,

No, it doesn't make any sense to me. One possibility is that he simply doesn't understand what he is talking about. We do know that the Microchip processor used in the AudioQuest DragonFlies does not have enough computational power to actually perform any DSP, so the only reasonable conclusion is that it simply loads the MQA coefficients into the programmable filter used in the ESS DAC chips. That will affect both the frequency response and the time domain response. The Microchip could also easily perform the zero-stuffing required to interpolate ("upsample") the 96kHz audio data from the software (Tidal or Audirvana) decoder. Also the software wends instructions as to which of the 16 filter sets should be used for each track, and again it would be trivially easy for the Microchip processor to implement those commands.. Perhaps those are what Mr. Westlake is referring to.

Hope this helps,

Charles Hansen

Charles Hansen

1 hour ago, Fokus said:

He designed among others the Audiolab MDAC, which has a herd of custom filters. Some even different implementations of the (claimed) exact-same response (also claimed are, of course, vast audible differences between these  filters, because digital is, well, much more mysterious than EE-educated people think).

He is also the creator of the Lakwest MDAC2. Crowd funding was done in 2013. The design goes on, and on, and on, and on, ... There is a healthy secondary market of people buying and selling their MDAC2 order tickets.

Hello Fokus,

Thanks for the correction. As you hint at, this is a bit mysterious. I could find no good photos of the insides, nor any test reports from any publication that makes measurements. The manufacturer's website claims the unit uses the original ESS Sabre 32 ES9018 DAC chip, which only has two filters built=in - a sharp rolloff and a slow rolloff. However the filters are custom programmable, and it appears this is what Westlake has done with the M-DAC. It becomes curiouser and curiouser as one reads the descriptions of the filters. As you point out three of the filters are called "Optimal Transient" with no claimed ringing, which is a difficult task to pull off, let alone with three different implementations that are claimed to have identical frequency response and time domain response.

The digital filter in the ESS chip is somewhat unusual as it is an 8x interpolation filter (like many, many other DAC chips),. However instead of the typical concatenation of three 2x sections to achieve 8x, it uses a 4x followed by a 2x. It is difficult for me to understand how Westlake could arrange two building blocks in three different ways to achieve the exact same results. That is just the beginning of curious things I've never seen claimed before, not only for the digital filters but also for a "Digital Data Decorrelation Engine" that sounds like it simply dithers data with word lengths less than 24 bits,. Finally it has a feature whereby it is claimed to "correct Windows LSB rounding errors", which is a very interesting feature indeed. I've never heard of the "problem" before, and it is unclear to me how one would know whether the rounding had been up or down (in order to properly correct it). But who knows? Perhaps he is right and everybody else is wrong. None of us know what we don't know, and perhaps Mr. Westlake is simply that far ahead of everybody else.

Hope this helps,

Charles Hansen

Charles Hansen

2 hours ago, Fokus said:

I have been asking this since nearly a year now: is an MQA DAC's standard CD replay filter (as seen in Fig.4 here Explorer 2 review at S'phile) part of these two QMF pairs? And if so, what does this mean for the other 3 QMF filters, and thus for the quality of the non-decoded MQA signal (i.o.w. has it been infected with aliasing in the audible band)?

Hi Fokus,

No that graph is of the digital reconstruction filter used by MQA. It turns out that the BlueSound and the DragonFlies have a choice of 16 different filters. I don't recall if that is the case for the Explorer2 or not. I think Archimago touched on that in his blog, but don't recall for sure. At any rate it is definitely not part of the band splitting/recombining process.

Hope this helps,

Charles Hansen

Charles Hansen

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Also a legendary Shunyata shill over at the Hoffman forums.  I've never seen sycophantic name dropping in "reviews" like this guy does.

Hello Samuel,

Thanks for the info. I don't know why some people do such shilling. Are they paid to do so, or are they just so insecure as to need "approval" from some authority figure like Bob Stuart or Caelin Gabriel. (The fact that Caelin Gabriel chose a Japanese sounding name for his company makes me very suspicious right off the bat. Why would he want to potential customers to think that he was based in Japan? It's kind of the reverse of Korean company Astell & Kern who deliberately chose a British-sounding name for their company. It makes the opposite impression on me than what was intended, as it clearly implies that they are being deceptive from the ground up. Then you get really weird things like designed in the Netherlands, made in China equipment from a company that chose a grammatically-incorrect Spanish name of "Prima Luna" - first moon - it should be "Luna Prima". Their latest ad is obviously attacking Audio Research and claims that ARC's PCB are wave soldered "overseas" - I doubt this is true - while completely glossing over the fact that all of their equipment is made in Chinese sweat-shops.)

And people wonder why so many think high-end audio is a joke...

Charles Hansen

On 10/24/2017 at 11:50 PM, PeterSt said:

Is MQA from Holland ?

As far as I can tell, MQA has attracted next to no attention in Europe. The main interest in from the US, almost entirely due to The Absolute Sound and Stereophile. There is a small amount of interest from Korea now, I'm unsure what's driving that (other than subsidizing an MQA-equipped streaming service there). Perhaps they think that Holland will be the best "beachhead" for a European invasion. Who knows?

Charles Hansen

21 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Agreed that there is decent new music out there, but you generally won't find it in the "popular" section of your favorite streaming service.  Pop music today is more formulaic than at any time I can remember.  Auto-tune and processed vocals seem to be the norm.  Hip hop seems to have been totally co-opted by the major labels now.  And I totally don't get the Rock God status of Jack White.

Spend some time on Bandcamp, try to explore outside of your genre comfort zone, and you might find some modern stuff you really like.

Hello Samuel,

There are lots of good videos on YouTube on this subject. This one is good, but not amazing. Still you will be shocked by some of the facts about "today's music".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVME_l4IwII

Charles Hansen

16 hours ago, rickca said:

I'd bet that Berkeley and dCS got a special deal so MQA would have the cache of some high-end brands.

Nearly all of the apparent momentum in MQA is attributable to business development investment by MQA.  It's not like they have revenue pouring in.  It's all demand generation.

Hi Rick,

Prezactly. For more info on this, please refer to:

https://www.audioasylum.com/forums/critics/messages/8/88367.html

Charles Hansen

32 minutes ago, Nikhil said:

Shunyata is Sanskrit.  Very clever name IMO if one understands the nuance of the term.

Hi Nikhil,

Thanks for enlightening me. While I've heard of Sanskrit, I didn't know what it actually was. Apparently an almost dead language from many thousands of years ago from the region now called India, and important to certain religions such as Buddhism. I mistakenly assumed it was a Japanese word, although now that I think about it this could not be right as it would be extremely difficult to pronounce in Japanese, where there are no stressed syllables. It's really only readily pronounced with an accent on the second syllable.

Since I don't know any Sanskrit (there are apparently around 50,000 in India who are fluent), could you kindly let me know the translation?

Thanks!

Charles Hansen

16 hours ago, synn said:

TBH, When I am in the mood to discover and sample new music (Or listen to obscure scandinavian heavy metal bands), Spotify has me covered. When I really like something, something that I want to listen to at a higher quality, I go and buy it from one of the various high res stores around.

I "Acquire" maybe 10% of what I listen to.

I know of many music lovers who use this exact same strategy. I believe it combines the best of both worlds - less than the best sound quality for a very low (or free with ads) cost, when all that is desired is background music or discovering new music, and then buying the things you like in the format  (digital or analog) you like for music that you will want to listen to repeatedly.

Cheers!

Charles Hansen

15 hours ago, lucretius said:

Look at it this way:  How many people outside of China would buy audio equipment (made in China) from companies with Chinese names?  It's just marketing; some of it makes sense, some of it does not.

Hi Lucretius,

Yes, there is definitely a grey area. The company now known as LG was previously called "GoldStar" in the US, which is a contraction of its full name "Lucky GoldStar". They are a Korean company, and in phonetically spelled Korean this is Leogki Geumseong, which happens to have the same initials as the English equivalent. In many Asian cultures, it is considered wise to name the company after things that are believed to bring good fortune. In Asian cultures the name "Lucky Gold Star" is about as good as it gets as all three words connote good fortune.

However in the US market, "Lucky GoldStar" sounds pretty cheesy and I don't believe they ever marketed anything in the US with their full English-translated name, only the abbreviation "Goldstar". But at some point they clearly felt that even this sounded cheesy and of foreign origin, so they contracted it to LG, which is pretty innocuous.

On the other hand Astell & Kern (at least in my opinion) were deliberately trying to be deceptive with their name choice. They arose at a time when many of the storied UK audio manufacturers had been acquired by Chinese interests, often keeping the design and development in the UK and transferring all production to China (eg, KEF). To me it came off as a brazen attempt to either deceive people that it was a British company, or at the very least designed in the UK but manufactured in Korea.

Why? Because Astell & Kern are not just words but clearly surnames. It was like copying the name "Bowers & Wilkins", the names of two real English people who really lived in the UK and really designed and manufactured their products in the UK for decades. Contrast this case to (say) ConversDigital, another Korean technology company. While they have clearly chose a name that the English-speaking world can pronounce and understand, I've no idea what "Convers" means. Is it supposed to be a contraction of "converse"? And if so, "converse" has two distinct meanings - one is to communicate with another person, while the other is that something is literally turned around or the opposite. In any event, there is no clear intent to hide the country of origin.

There are many factors involved in selecting the name of a company or product. I remember at one time Theta (which uses names for their products, rather than model numbers) had a really cool name for a product but they rejected it, simply because it had so many "r"s and "l"s in it that it would extremely difficult for a native Japanese  to pronounce. (Sorry I've forgotten the name.)

But that is very different from deliberate attempts of deception. It would be as if I wanted to sell products in a specific market, whether it were Nigeria or China, and then choosing a name that made it appear that my company was based in either of those two countries.

Charles Hansen

16 hours ago, synn said:

You are right though, the 2L tracks are not the best mastered tracks around. I have some albums purchased from the B&W Society of Sound website that are 96 KHz and blow the 2L tracks away.

This is an interesting data point. While the mastering clearly will affect the sound quality of any recording, so will innumerable other factors. What recording venues was used? Which microphones were used? Where were the microphones placed and how were they oriented? Which mic preamps were used? Which brand and model of microphone cable were used? What A/D converter was used (if the recording went straight to digital)? What was the original format? Was there a sample rate converter used between recording and release? If so, which one? Here is a link to an article that describes the equipment used by 2L:

http://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php/shows-events/twbas-2012-north-carolina-usa/84-twbas-2012-product-profiles/195-2l-q2l-twbas-2012-samplerq

We don't know the microphones, preamps, or cables, but many of 2L's recordings are done in multi-channel. Apparently most of the recent ones use the A/D converter built into the Pyramix DAW made by Merging Technologies of Switzerland. I've no idea how that sounds, as if you think about it, all of the same factors that affect the sound quality of a DAC also affect the sound quality of an ADC:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/35106-how-does-a-perfect-dac-analog-signal-look-different-than-a-cheap-dac/?page=7&tab=comments#comment-713189

If you look at the graphs in the linked article, the DAC in the Pyramix really can't do much more than about 96/24 before the noise floor of the converter begins to rise and obscure any musical harmonics that might be captured with a good 192/24 converter. Who knows how good the analog circuitry inside there is?

The point is that there is not any particular reason to think that the 2L recordings will sound any better than something made in the '50s by RCA or Decca when they were using ribbon and condenser microphones with tubed signal chains all the way through. Newer is NOT always better...

Charles Hansen

19 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

To close this particular topic, I want to bring your attention to this train wreck (now only available on the Internet Archive) that the younger people would rightly call an "epic fail".  It celebrates the rise of the crowd-sourced funding model, and enthusiastically predicts the demise of the more traditional audio gear manufacturers that distribute primarily through brick and mortar.  Scroll to the bottom of the article to see the author.

Excellent catch - thanks for the link!

Charles Hansen

3 hours ago, Fokus said:

That is not correct.

There was electronics company Goldstar, who traded under that name, also in the West.

Then there was plastics company Lucky.

Lucky and Goldstar merged in the 90s, and immediately rebranded as LG.

WTF?

Can Wikipedia know less than you do?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Corporation

Charles Hansen