IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

Well, that was a quick flame out.  Too bad.  We could have learned some good stuff rather than learn about his personality.  I wonder if this contempt for listeners is prevalent in the industry, or if he just got his buttons pushed.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

25 minutes ago, crenca said:

Anyone have any hard data?

There must be companies that analyze sales data and trends for various segments of the audio industry and sell reports to manufacturers.  Anyone know which companies do that?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

• 4 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

It is probably more views than the MQA website has gotten this year.

MQA has a website?  I've been following this thread from the beginning.  I never visited the MQA website until just now.

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Don Hills said:

Look carefully at how the labels expect to recoup their investment. They've paid the license fees and paid for the work of encoding their back catalogues. They wouldn't do that if  they didn't expect to profit in some way.

The labels are investors in the MQA business.  So they were kind of paying themselves to encode their catalogs, and will share in MQA profits should they materialize.  I'm not sure how big a stake in MQA they got for their very modest capital injection.

How do you distinguish between collusion and cooperation of 3 firms that dominate the industry?

3 minutes ago, Don Hills said:

Can you expand on your thinking?

Well, I probably shouldn't promote more conspiracy theories.  I'll see whether the idea resonates with other people.

34 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

I doubt we could replicate that through other formats, such as FLAC, etc.

Exactly.  Now ask yourself why it wouldn't happen with FLAC.  It's because there is no potential for DRM or licensing revenue with FLAC.

6 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

So what you have is a healthy ecosystem of players.

There's your next article for PTA ...  how everybody makes money from MQA.  Then we can stop this silly pretense that MQA is good for consumers.

16 minutes ago, Fair Hedon said:

It seems he is buying the notion that phones are the "gate way" to high res.

That is the latest MQA talking point.  

Maybe Disney should buy MQA.  They could put it in Fantasyland.

29 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

The sense I get is that Bob Stuart has created something clever here and the armchair engineers on CA can't keep up with his math.

I have an M.Eng in Information Systems with a focus on optimization and simulation.  It is math, math and more math.

Why doesn't MQA just do some celebrity endorsements?  Just get Jay-Z to tell the kids who own all those smartphones you can't be cool unless you listen to MQA.  I'm sure it's coming.  I think MQA made a strategic error in marketing to audiophiles.  Just detour around the audiophiles and go for mass market acceptance.

7 minutes ago, ShawnC said:

They don't need em.  They have the record labels, that's the motherload.  The genius behind it was to get the software and hardware manufacturers to pay licensing fees also.

I agree, that train left the station a long time ago.  You don't think MQA needs to generate consumer demand?

15 minutes ago, Thuaveta said:

You really think they're going to leave it up to consumers to demand anything ? Because I hear both the RIAA and JAS are supportive of the technology.

OK I agree with both you and @ShawnC that MQA momentum will continue because the industry wants it.   I'm simply saying that marketing to audiophiles has resulted in pushback and it would have been a lot easier to just put it out there as something cool.  No need to convince anyone that it actually does what it claims.

I wonder if Bob Stuart has convinced Jimmy Iovine that MQA is the future.  Oh wait, Jimmy is leaving Apple once all his shares are vested.

I also wonder what Softbank/Sprint thinks about its $200 million 'game-changing' investment in TIDAL.  We are coming up on the one year anniversary of that deal.  Has anyone heard anything about it recently?

2 minutes ago, BratStrangler said:

MQA will go nowhere.   Formats are dead.

There are a whole bunch of audio companies who have invested in MQA implementation for their products that hope you're wrong.  How did MQA manage to get so many partners onboard?  It's a remarkable achievement even if you think the whole thing is misguided (as I do).