IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

26 minutes ago, crenca said:

I am struck most by their sheer naivete.  They are still (still, how many years is it?) grappling with the digital revolution in music.  They don't know the difference between a piece of software and a strand of copper cable.  They are reinforced by an "Old Guard" customer base that don't know the difference either, and who show up at audio shows to be spooned fed complete and utter nonsense. 

Maybe some of the old guard show go to a headphone meet, that seems to be where all the action is lately!

going to shows full of 6 digit equipment seems to have all the fun and alure of the early dinner at Applebee's, with the same crowd.

Jim

13 hours ago, esldude said:

Well I don't have Tidal.  My meager internet connection would be near saturated by Tidal streaming at least half of every day.  Part of the other half when I get higher speeds unfortunately is when I (and apparently everyone else in the area) is asleep.  

Streaming is basically a no-go for me too.  I am stuck with a satellite internet connection here, not great for streaming.

The telcos are all about making things better for the haves than providing anything for the have not's!  I am not in a far out rural area but one mile and 12 potential customers within that mile is not enough for Spectrum (awful company) to extend their cable lines.  I am in a dead cell zone currently and I am hoping that there is some promise for service with 5G on the horizon.

Jim

6 hours ago, esldude said:

If you can manage more or less line of sight, you could share a line with someone who has good internet.  Those devices I linked to earlier provide a good fast connection up to several miles.  A pair of them would be about $140.  They are not large being 10x14 inches.  

I'm also doubly lucky being in a cell phone near dead zone.  I can sometimes make a call.  Data is usually not possible.  I mounted a WeBoost cell phone booster on the side of the house.  This amplifies and rebroadcasts the signal indoors and amplifies my phone signal to talk back to the cell tower.  This way I get good connections and data speeds inside.  This works if you have a weak signal.  If you have a total lack of signal it won't work.  

This is the particular model I have though they make others.

https://www.amazon.com/weBoost-470101-Signal-Booster-Office/dp/B00RHMFQSA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1528740142&sr=8-3&keywords=weboost+470101

Thanks for the info!   I have zero cell service at my house, inside or outside.  Using Antenna Search there are 13 registered towers within 4 miles of my house, I assume not all are cell towers, but anyway I get nothing.

I will check the new thread that has started so as not to hijack this thread!

Jim

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't have an MQA capable DAC and frankly MQA doesn't interest me but I have a question.  When you play MQA through Tidal for instance is there any kind of tag that shows who "authenticated" the files?  I would think that to be somewhat of a "purist" that only tracks authenticated by the original ARTIST are truly authenticated.  Anything else is somewhat of a bastardized version of "authentication".  Who cares if the the engineer or producer or custodian "authenticated" the track.

Jim

52 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

Exactly the case. With the Stereophile recordings, while I always get the artists' input and approval for the mix and balance, etc, as I am the one who has bankrolled every project other than the most recent, "Tight Lines," I make the final decision for every aspect of the recording.

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

Owner, Stereophile Recordings

Thanks John, I guess I'm not really sure of the value of MQA authentication then.  I'm sorry if this is getting very basic, I thought I understood the general idea of MQA, but what does "Authentication" actually mean?  Isn't there some sort of "authentication" going on with any master and subsequent vinyl pressing, CD, or streaming file already?

Jim

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

Just as it is harmful to proper discussion for folks to obsess over motives and alleged corruption, I think it is harmful to proper discussion to side-step the clear technical questions about MQA. If you want the specific line of criticism of the "old guard"/establishment audiophile press to stop, you're going to have to stop that side-stepping.

The more this drags on I wonder if the side-stepping is unconscious, they may be incapable of interacting on a technical level.  The saying "book smart, common sense dumb" comes to mind.

Jim

2 hours ago, crenca said:

Interesting how JA uses refers to this issue as "this problem", yet his publication did not say it was a problem as such, they just noted it...in the context of Stereophiles otherwise breathless promotion...so a reader would read this qualification in the positive and not negative.

That said, JA and the rest have truly dug themselves a hole and they are going to mine their current and past promotion of MQA for anything that can be interpreted as them reporting a "con" to MQA.  It won't work, there is too little there...

Until they decide to come clean they are in a lose, lose, lose position

Jim

3 minutes ago, Doug Schneider said:

Well, then there's that! Of course you're correct. And it seems almost too good to be true -- and free! But in this case, it does all it says it does -- and that's a lot! (But there isn't the magic and mystery behind it that the writers who latched on to MQA seemed to adore so much.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAC

Doug Schneider

The key about FLAC as opposed to MQA is the concept of "royalty free licensing"

Jim

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

More on the provenance "issue" - I'm working my contacts and doing research to prove or disprove my hypothesis that this whole provenance thing, as defined by MQA, is a problem that doesn't exist. 

So far "nobody" believes this is an issue. I say nobody becasue I'm sure there are a couple releases every year that are messed up. The following link from TuneCore explains that they require 16/44.1 WAV files. Sure this doesn't prohibit someone form converting an MP3 to WAV for upload, but we shouldn't get lost in the edge case weeds. 

https://www.tunecore.com/guides/how-to-get-your-audio-files-ready-for-distribution

My curious mind is wondering whether this new tack by MQA is a round about way of supporting Tidal in reaction to the latest moves by Amazon and Qobuz in the streaming business.  Face it, MQA is less than zero without Tidal, and Roon is pretty tangled up in there too.  Tidal may be in a big hurt and Roon has become kind of stale as of late.

Jim