IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

21 minutes ago, Jud said:

It varies with people and systems.  I've always thought my Vandersteens (which have linear phase crossovers, and are designed to be time/phase-aligned) sound best with linear phase filters.  Obviously different speakers could change that.

This is an *interesting* discussion to me (about linear phase/minimum phase/etc filters.)  One reason is that the 'ringing' associated with truncating the spectrurm isn't quite the same manifestation as true ringing.  Think about this -- run a sine frequency sweep on a linear/minimum/etc phase FIR filter -- what is the result? (as long as it is desinged to be flat with a cutoff) -- it is flat!!!   Run the same test with a filter that  has true ringing -- it is NOT flat (or has been weirdly compensated -- usually ignore that situation.)  I mention this below -- but going to head off some comments about the mechanism -- SOME OF THE MATH IS SIMILAR, but Gibbs is due to 'waves not cancelling anymore', and 'ringing' is due to resonance.

The 'Gibbs effect' ringing is actually a mirage in a way -- the 'ringing' resulting from an LPF  filter is not due to resonance, but is due to residual pseudo-sine waves not being mathematically cancelled due to missing higher frequency components.  IF you don't have a coherent square wave, and remove the higher frequency components, you'd probably not even notice the frequency cutoff (other than the missing higher frequency information and an imponderable difference in the peak value.)  Of course, changing the frequency response changes the peak amplitude of a signal -- in fact, a low pass filter can definitely & counterintuitively  increase or decrease the peak signal level.  The peak level depends on many things, including the relative phase of the components.

Where is the 'ringing' coming from then? -- it results from the removal of frequency components where there are residual components left over because the higher frequencies no longer add-in to compensate for the remaining lower frequency components.  This phenomenon is called the 'Gibbs effect' and isn't really ringing due to a peak and resonance.  (Some of the math can be similar, but the actual process is different.)

So, what is the difference between the left over residual frequency components moving from different places in the square wave?  It is beause the phase vs frequency is varied, so the apparent locations of the residuals move around.  The energy hasn't changed.  The timing difference is due to a phase difference.  In the case of linear phase, all of the constituent frequencies are delayed the same.  With different kidns of filters, the delays are skewed vs frequency.  In processing of audio -- linear phase filters can be a godsend, because the delay is totally fixed from the lowest to the highest frequency.  This is MUCH nicer than the good old linear filters, IIR, and other kinds of filters which require work to avoid/manage that phase shift (various kinds of things like group delay.)  The BAD thing about linear phase filters is that they have long delays -- minimum phase filters have variable delays, but can be much shorter.  All kinds of FIR filters are also much more CPU intensive than an IIR (e.g. analog filter emulation or magical filter unrealizable in HW) which can get by with a much lower filter order, and much less CPU.

What about this thing called a 'square wave', how do you get 'ringing' with the square wave, but there is no peak or resonance?  As I explained above, the 'ringiing' (which it really isn't) is just a left over residual of missing higher frequency components not cancelling the residual away.

Why should we care about how the residual components manifest?   I don't know -- I won't make judgements about what someone else hears, but one thing for sure -- electronics acts differently with differing peak signal levels.

John

9 minutes ago, Jud said:

Nice - I'd read about this before (including one prior comment from you in this thread), but didn't quite understand what you were driving at until now.

It is so very easy to take the idea that Gibbs is the same as 'ringing'.  Everyone (including I) call it 'ringing.'  But, when it comes down to designing DSP software or circuitry, it isn't really ringing -- so needs to sometimes be looked at differently.  For example, it has SOME of the same characteristics that can be created by ringing.  If one looks at it in a different way -- 'ringing' in the correct circuit can massively increase the signal level -- but Gibbs is limited to a few percent (AFAIR about 9% -- I could be wrong -- I get things confused like everyone does.)  I promise you -- even EEs get tripped up by this one, mostly because it is often called 'ringing'.

This effect is one reason why  sometimes on digital systems it is a good thing to leave some wiggle room when normalizing a signal.  If there is a subsequent LPF, then the overshoot will cause fewer problems.   Ringing can still cause problems, but allowing for a linear phase overshoot is probably a good 1st cut rule.

The REAL problem with Gibbs is if there is a conversion to analog or the digital signal hard limits (or wraps around) at full scale, then a multitude of evils can happen.  Analog electronics can be susceptable to increases in distortion also.

John

10 minutes ago, crenca said:

Why John do you think that Bob S, John Atkinson, Jim Austin, Stereophile, TAS, and almost all of the lessor audiophile press were so easily able to convince with their "ringing effects transient behavior" narrative? Even before MQA this narrative was very common and, mostly, assumed to be real and correct, though debates were to be seen occasionally here and there.  

Again, playing devil's advocate:  While I believe what you say is true, I don't see how this truth matters.  It's just common sense, everybody knows that ringing is a significant factor and that MQA is a (even if not "the") solution.  

My answer to the question:  Audiophiledom is not about the truth.  It's a myth based culture, and the culture has authorities.  Your not one of them, and John Atkinson is.  

First -- I DO MAKE MISTAKES, and I am just as susceptible to myths as anyone else.  Geesh -- I used to believe that 'Gibbs' is really ringing for many many years -- until I put my EE/DSP hat on instead of my 'just me' hat.  It is so easy to be mistaken in these highly technical fields, and one thing that I have learned to say (or write):  yes, my statement was wrong, I was wrong in my beliefs, etc...  (I am not wrong about Gibbs, but I have been wrong about A LOT of things. 🙂)   Threw the stupid part of ego away -- once I did that, it was so much easier to be intellectually honest and accept the truth.

Another thing -- gotta give up on trying to convince those who don't want to admit the truth.  I remember an old co-worker, a little long in the tooth, telling me that he was a real expert in this or that field.  In fact, he said:  I can't be taught anything!!!   He really said that, I was incredulous and kindly kept my mouth shut :-).

Stupid arguments are not worth throwing away friendships or even kind correspondents.

John

11 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm having a hard time following you here. Are you really going after John Dyson or are you joking? 

I can tell -- he is pretty much accepting, but also trying to figure out if I am full of manure.  I saw it as a kind jab, not an insult.  At first it took me back a little, but I truly can understand questioning 'this stranger' here :-).

There are charltans out there -- and frankly, I could just as well be one (how can you tell?)  I respect it when people try to figure things out.

John

1 hour ago, Currawong said:

I can't edit my post to fix this for some reason, but it looks as if this was a bug, as it now syncs without issue.

Windows has regularly frustrated me in trying to create demo CDs (not to be distributed) -- but I have ways around it.  However, when not even violating the fair use, they clamp down too much.  Pretty soon, we will be paying something like 10 cents every time we play a song for our own enjoyment. (might be exaggerated -- but in essence it is the reality.)

There are already 'helpful' broadcast protection schemes, and that should be enough.  The non-fair-use advocacy is trying to destroy every bit of freedom to get every last dollar (pound, Euro, etc) that they can get from us.

John

17 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

A search on the Stereophile website for the phrase "this stuff works" didn't throw up anything to do with CD StopLight, so I looked in the back issue archive and found this about CD StopLight in the October 1992 "Recommended Components": "'This stuff works' reports JE [Jack English], PvW [Peter van Willenswaard], and JA [John Atkinson] . . ."

Kind suggestion -- please dont' let yours (or any) publication to be used for political/raw profiteering purposes (unless it is a paid advert.)  Opinions are okay, if appropriately labeled.  It is SOOO difficult nowadays, because opinions are so often conflated with accuracy (sometimes opinons are accurate, but even then should be appropriately labeled.)

I don't know how to make sure that people are 'straight' (I mean in the truthful, integrity, knowledge sense, not in personal attributes), or confused.  I guess that is where expertise in editing and double checking comes into play.  (The major news media in particular hasn't been very good about having/practicing with integrity lately -- and I hope it doesn't get worse.)

John

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Come on archimago, sandyk admits to major hearing damage yet still hears differences between bit perfect MD5 identical rips 😄

Ask sandyk how well I passed his evil test :-).  It was tricky, but apparently I did pretty well.   (The difference was something like what I deal with on the DA decoder, so I just happened to be tuned to the sort of difference that was in the test.)

43 minutes ago, Currawong said:

Myself, and others, have been saying this for years. I think this is where much of the problem lies. If the baseline quality had been this to begin with, I reckon most of the arguments over digital wouldn't have come about in the first place.

"According to legendary musician and record producer Don Was, now president of Blue Note Records, "what record producers and artists intend for the audience to hear is the first commercially released issue—not some hypothetical master tape or enhanced later version. By that sensible measure, every remastering, reissue, or change in format—whether from 78 to 331?3rpm, mono to stereo, LP to CD, CD to hi-rez, or hi-rez to MQA—is simply a lower-fidelity interpretation of the original. That's why I've never felt comfortable with remasterings."

T

When I test my decoder with ABBA, I use original vinyl rips for a reference.  (The DHNRDS still sounds much better without vinyl processing -  but I try to make sure that it sounds plausibly the same.)  I agree with trying to sound like the original release.  (Direct DolbyA decodes don't always sound like something that you'd want to release to a consumer, however.)

50 minutes ago, Currawong said:

Myself, and others, have been saying this for years. I think this is where much of the problem lies. If the baseline quality had been this to begin with, I reckon most of the arguments over digital wouldn't have come about in the first place.

That is partially true, but honestly -- a lot of material is released without DolbyA decoding.  Ask sandyk about some examples that I demoed.  He didn't like all of them, but I think that anyone (incl him) would say that there was a rather substantial improvement.  The biggest problem when demoing, is that playing through the DolbyA with raw material is NOT all of what mastering needs to do.

Undecoded stuff, with a little EQ is sold as consumer material (retch!!) (Compressed highs, flat spatial relationships -- sound famiilar?)

Take the HDtracks Carpenters album, do a bit of EQ (to recover original material), and do a DolbyA decode -- sounds really nice.  (I think that album needs +3dB@3kHz/Q=0.707...  I don't remember, it might be +5dB instead.

It is heartbreaking that some amount of this digital hatred comes from non-mastering (playout of master tape with EQ is a lot cheaper than doing a DolbyA decode.)

John

1 hour ago, mansr said:

What test are you referring to?

There was a test with a contrived checksum.  It was meant to confound.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

What test are you referring to?

No test -- I was fooled.  This is exactly one of the problems with comparisons -- even someone who can hear differences will sometimes hear differences when they do not exist.

I admit a screwup!!! :-).

John

8 minutes ago, mansr said:

Differing files crafted to have an md5 collision, or identical files with headers/padding altered to produce different checksums?

I was wrong -- I was told something and believed it (after thinking that I heard something different -- I fooled myself there, and do it all of the time, must be very careful.)   I ran a complete check of the file, and both versions were 150% identical.

Mark one up for my own lack of being careful.

John

1 hour ago, kumakuma said:

I'm confused. Alex appears to be saying that you heard differences between two identical files.

Don't be confused -- that is correct.  It was the mindgame problem that I have written about before.  Even though I can hear real differences, there is something that makes me hear a difference when there isn't one.  Probably because the way that I focus on individual aspects of the sound -- and when it isn't ignored, then I hear the difference.

This is one of the reasons why a statistical way of comparing is much better (but much more tedious.)  I only did a casual comparison, and because of perception issues -- I DID HEAR A DIFFERENCE THAT WASN"T THERE.

John

2 hours ago, shtf said:

But how can you be certain this time the difference wasn't there?  What about the times there was a difference and you didn't hear it?

Just askin'   :)

I tend to focus on individual aspects of the sound.  Since I have been working on the DA decoder, I have to listen for each kind of distortion or 'problem' every time that I listen.  I cannot hear all of the problems at once -- often I will play a bad section of a recording at least 3 - 5 times listening to various aspects.  For example -- on a percussion test, there are some bongos.  I have to make sure that the sound of the slap is correct (including tone and impulse) along with the ambiance after the slap.  There are a few time periods of ambiance -- immediate and longer term.  The decay must also be correct.

I do not have the luxury of listening for enjoyment, but listen for analysis.  Sometimes I do make mistakes, for example I find that evening my results are almost random.  Also when doing serious evaluations, I check several times -- sometimes over a few days.

As I implied before -- DO NOT RUIN YOUR HOBBY.  Don't worry about every last bit of frequency response error, distortion from DolbyA (which will cause unpleasant loss of detail),  or damage from any other kind of processing.  A compressor can REALLY screw up the sound, not just the dynamic range, but also creates dynamic distortions that are simply ugly.

I NEVER implied my hearing is perfect, and in fact -- I know that it is very imperfect, very variable, and very dependent on my mood.  In the case of the test that I did an 'amazing' thing finding something that isn't there -- par for the course. :-).

PS:  my listening has eventually been succesfull -- take a listen to the decoded versions of three songs over in the test recordings discussion.  (I limited the examples to be short enough not to be a bad citizen -- wish that they could be longer.)  If you listen to the original versions of So Long (for example) both on vinyl and the CD versions that I have heard -- there is a serious loss of HF transients and the vocal 's' sibilance is weak on the originals.  The DHNRDS decoded versions are much cleaner (but also show more defects in the recordings.)  There are heroic efforts in the DHNRDS to avoid IMD -- the big bugaboo in things like DolbyA.

John

7 minutes ago, sandyk said:

J

One thing I'd like to have some day -- is a 96k master of it.  With the master, and the apparent clipping of the high end on her voice, I am wondering if the brickwall needed for the 44.1k sample rate might be exciting some of the evil Gibbs effect.  This effect might make the hardness of the vocal even worse like what we might be hearing.  This harshness in Carly's vocal is potentially one reason for using a softer rolloff than the typical brickwall when doing downconversion (these is all conjecture.)

I might check HDtracks and see if they have a Carly Simon recording...  The only risk (for me) is if it isn't DolbyA encoded...  I only want to purchase leaked material because of limited funds.

Oh well -- yes,  your ESR version does sound better to me.

Sorry again for taking so long to respond.  In the midst of mental decompression right now.

John

On Friday, March 22, 2019, 7:50:09 PM EDT, John Dyson

I removed a large section of a conversation that was intended to be personal.  But it does show how hearing can be fooled, doesn't it?  Please listen to the demos on the 'test recordings' subforum -- AFTER A LOT OF INTENSIVE WORK, even after getting all of the easy to measure details correct -- things like attack/decay are incredibly difficult to make correct.

I know about depression -- it is a really terrible problem.  It is silly to say please feel better -- because depression is something that is often impossible to control.  No matter what, my intention is that I hope you do feel better.

Anyway -- when I did the comparison check, on the non-B and the B versions, of Carly's recordings -- earlier today,  I did a bit for bit comparison of the entire file.  They were identical.   I was fooled!!  No biggie, I never claim to be perfect!!!

It is SOO easy for hearing to be confused.

John