IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, ARQuint said:

This is one of those "eye of the beholder" things, Chris. Paul Seydor devoted 2400 words to his less-than-enthusiastic assessment of MQA SQ. It's a central subject of the review and it's appropriate to note that it is. To me, the capsule highlights an aspect of the product that the reviewer found "troubling". To you, it's just part of an etched-in-stone narrative that TAS is invariably supportive of MQA. Which we are not.

An interesting narrative you have there.  Is this the rallying cry against the "partisans" that your publication so often malign?

6 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

John Atkinson is the Technical Editor of Stereophile. Bob Harley was the "digital expert" when he was with Stereophile. Before giving MQA their ringing endorsement, did they do their due diligence and research MQA? Did they have a clear understanding of all aspects of MQA?

Due diligence suggests consumer advocacy.  Since we know that's not JA's and RH's jam, of COURSE they didn't research if consumers were being fed a load of bull manure by BS.

Paraphrasing a T-shirt I saw years ago, "Bob Stuart said it, I believe it, that settles it".

I have a little sympathy for @BassFace 's view of a "clique" at work here.  Presumably, I'm part of this pro-consumer clique.

There's audio playback software that uses this forum for its ad-hoc support system.  Significant changes get made to the software, sometimes to the point of removing core features (like drag-and-drop) and there's nary a peep from the software's devotees.  Drag-and-drop was added back in a later release, but you'd never know there was any dissent based on this forum's "support thread".  So yes, this forum can be rife with sycophancy at times.

Is there a link between consumerism and narcissism/sycophancy? 🙂

• 6 months later...
Just now, MikeyFresh said:

That was unbelievable, though he did not add his recent industry affiliation to his signature, so for the uninitiated it wasn't even entirely clear who Lee Scoggins is (was).

Ditto (queue the obligatory ARQ drive-by).

Oh yes, Quint will arrive soon complaining about the "anti-MQA partisans" fowling the forum and making it a terrible place for reasonable people like him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My point about the banner ads is that the "objectivists" often weren't compatible with them.

Example:

Q) Is a DAC that costs as much as a car worth the money?

The "subjectivist" response would typically be something along the lines of, "OMG, have you **listened** to one?"

The "objectivist" response would typically be something along the lines of, "No way.  And the manufacturer certainly hasn't proved that it is".

Which response is more compatible with the banner ads?

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

When a legitimate alternate opinion cannot be posted in the main forum by the site rules, I'd call it an echo chamber. 

Groupthink is a more descriptive term. 🙂

The rub seems to be calling delusional beliefs, "delusional beliefs".  But delusional beliefs sell lots and lots of audio gear, so those delusional beliefs are sacrosanct here.

45 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I completely understand that science is updated when new information comes along. That site is far from real science. Real since has real scientists look at something before it's published to the masses. However, that takes time and doesn't whip up the crowd as much as throwing measurements at the wall for all to find errors. 

I never joined The Forum That Shall Not Be Named.  And you make a good point about mQa and how that site founder has a history with HDCD, so all proprietary codecs Must Be Good.

But that site sometimes playing fast and loose with "science" does not invalidate the need for testing.  Indeed, even Schiit now has three different versions of the Yggy.  One made specifically for those who want better measured performance.  They took a LOT of guff for the lackluster measurements of the OG Yggy.

Although I have some things in common with those who simply want the highest sound quality that they can afford, I also understand that audiophilia is first and foremost a consumerist activity.  There are very specific psychological tactics having to do with the advertising and marketing of consumer products.  mQa routinely uses all of the most egregious of these tactics.  But so do many others.  Some of which have banner ads on this very site.

And at the end of the day, it is the conflict between consumerist psychology and the questioning of the Audiophilia Status Quo that ultimately forced your hand to corral the people who might have made others question their consumerist motivations into their own segregated sub-forum.

We certainly don't want people questioning whether a DAC that costs as much as a car is really worth the money, right?