IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

20 hours ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

Gosh, I bow to your superior wisdom, and your superior semantic skills.

Sarcasm does very little to further your argument. Consider editing it out. Fortunately, after years on the Internet, I have become immune...

Well, Twitter was certainly built using open internet standards, but do you have their source code?  No.  That is proprietary.

There's certainly some proprietary code running on Twitter's servers. But it's entirely irrelevant. Twitter could open source it tomorrow, and without affecting its business in the least. In any case, it's the open Web standard that enabled Twitter to even be a concept in the first place. Even now, there's negligible proprietary code required on the client side. None at all, to simply view Twitter - I do it all the time, with even JavaScript blocked. Posting undoubtedly requires some JavaScript, but again, that's an open platform.

Facebook is a better example, especially when we're discussing MQA. Facebook dominates not because of its brilliant technology, but because it has users locked in to a proprietary communications protocol. There have been suggestions (especially in Europe) that Facebook should be forced to 'open up' that protocols, so other companies could compete on a level footing. There's nothing innovative about those protocols (never was), and they should be standardized. Alas, it's hard to close the barn door once you've allowed the horse to own the barn.

Yes, Linux is open.  But, IBM and Microsoft invest much more on and receive much greater revenues from their own proprietary stuff than on Linux support.  Do you disagree?

As it happens, I do disagree. IBM's mainly sells services, with a business model that's built entirely around Linux and open platforms. Some of their code is undoubtedly proprietary, but that's the way Linux is meant to work - you open source the stuff that benefits everyone, keep stuff closed that's specific to your own work. The model works. IBM was once 100% proprietary, now it's largely open - and 100% based on open standards.

Microsoft makes most of its revenue these days from the enterprise market. That presumably includes sales of Office, a perniciously closed product, which succeeds only by virtue of lock-in. But otherwise, Microsoft is moving rapidly to embrace open standards. It recently opened all its programming tools, and has contributed big chunks of code to open projects - including Linux. Talk to their enterprise guys, and you'll see the vast shift in mindset that's already well underway.

JVC did not give VHS away.  Licensing was simply much more favorable to licensees than was Beta.  Beta, by the way, was widely considered better in all respects except maximum playing time, but Sony were simply SOBs about the licensing.

It's impossible to go into exhaustive detail on each example. VHS was effectively "open" - at the scale that mattered to its users (large corporate manufacturers). If anything, it shows how openness and profit are not mutually exclusive.

I do not know the Fraunhoffer story.  But, was there no licensing whatsoever required, meaning no revenue stream to them?  Weird.  OK, just googled them.  MP3 is patented and licensed from Fraunhofer, not a free open standard.

MP3 encoders were licensed by Fraunhofer (to software and hardware companies) at a very affordable rate. MP3 decoders were allowed to exist without royalties. Even the definitive LAME encoder was allowed to exist as source code, widely compiled by amateurs. Another example of a standard that was sufficiently open to be a standard. The various flavors of MPEG video fall into the same category.

CD was not a free, open standard, BTW.  The players and discs were manufactured under license from Sony/Philips.  Dolby on cassettes was also not free and open.  DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, DTS and Dolby codecs, HDMI, etc.   all require licensing.

CD is another commercial standard, more than 'open' enough for its users. It probably helped that CD was not exclusively owned by just one company - like SACD, for example. Or Blu-ray, which undoubtedly helped accelerate the shift to streaming as opposed to ownership of video.

Dolby was a bit of an oddity - every tape deck had to have it, but nobody I knew used it. Sort of a needless tax on the market. Similar to the one MQA would like to levy.

So, you are miffed because MQA chooses not to do business in the completely open standards way that you consider correct and just give their process away.   Shame on them.

A feeble straw man argument - I never said any of this. You again undercut your own position.

I am 'miffed' (if that's the right word) because MQA chooses to sell what could and should be open and, more importantly, standard - if it's worth having at all. MQA asks us to pay for what should be open, and keeps secret what might actually be worth paying for.

However, in spite of your philosophy, many other companies have been quite successful while maintaining proprietary protection over their unique technology.  In fact, doing so is mandatory to satisfy investors looking for a return on a new idea.  That was my point.

The 'unique' part may indeed be proprietary. But not the part that's expected to become a roadblock to further development. (Archetypal open licenses like the the GNU GPL 3.0 attempt to encode this principle in legal logic.) It's the old 'one bridge over the river' problem: if you want MP3 to be a standard, you shouldn't expect to keep it as your own exclusive ('closed') property. Of course, fully 'open' standards are ideal, but in most cases 'benign stewardship' suffices. MQA has shown itself to be anything but benign.

As I've noted, the market does generally reject attempts at creating tightly proprietary 'standards.' But unfortunately not always. Many abortive attempts at owning the only bridge over the river have been extremely expensive for everyone. We should have learned something by now.

5 hours ago, Jud said:

Vote with your dollars (as in, the absence of them from MQA).  It's a language that gets listened to.

Exactly! In our eagerness for what is new and surrounded by hype, we often forget this 'golden' rule...

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, Charles Hansen said:

Hello Fung0,

While I agree with your very well articulated premises for most publication. I am fairly certain there are exception to the above quoted sentence.

I know of at least one US print magazine and one US webzine that allegedly only review equipment if you advertise. (They may occasionally break their own rule, so as not to make it too obvious.) Advertisers are allegedly guaranteed good reviews, and the more valuable the ad contract (size and frequency of placements, along with contract duration) allegedly the better the reviews will be. One publication allegedly took a loudspeaker company from start-up mode to major player  within 3 years, almost single-handed. One publication allegedly will sell cover shots to the highest bidder. One publication allegedly  will write lengthy positive reviews in exchange for non-financial incentives such as all-expenses-paid luxury vacation (which can be easily disguised as "travel expenses/reimbursements").

As you correctly note, the product being pimped must meet a certain level of performance (at least in the writer's mind) or else it would be too obvious and the reviewer/publication would lose credibility.. You will never see a mediocre product promoted in this way. But "sweetening the pot" can result in reviews that are more praiseworthy than would they would otherwise receive.

It's also well known that some manufacturers allegedly will not submit products for review to certain magazines. I think even Magnepan publicly acknowledges that they will not submit review samples to Stereophile, due to the fact that they do not measure ""well" under JA's loudspeaker test protocol. That is just one example and one reason.

Best, regards,

Charles Hansen

I've certainly seen occasional extremes of collusion between publishers and vendors, as you describe. But I think you'd agree that, in general, influence is more subtle. We know there are 'paid shills' out there. But 'useful idiots' are far more numerous.

Unfortunately, few publications these days truly support their writers in pushing for high standards of accuracy and honesty. (Doing proper research is expensive, for a start.) Even fewer publications make any pretense of fairly presenting all facets of every issue. About the best you can do is find one whose slant you can live with.

I've definitely encountered manufacturers who avoid bad reviews in the way you describe regarding Magnepan. Once you're on their 'black list,' you're lucky to get a polite answer to an email. You certainly never get interview access to company execs, and you needn't dream about getting product for review. The companies that have treated me that way have generally been ones selling products that were greatly over-valued, and vulnerable to having their bubble punctured.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Not only this, but linking to @Jud's earlier comment about the 99% vs us (1%), good luck convincing them (the 99% happy with Spotify and Apple Music) to pay double for their monthly streaming subscription.

Exactly. The streaming market has found its sweet-spot price points, and they're not likely to shift. They're certainly not going to double, in exchange for claimed benefits that the average consumer can't hear or even understand. Nor is there much new money to be extracted from the 1% audiophiles - especially not by downgrading the quality of the data.

The adoption of MQA must be about something other than increased revenues.

Discussions took place in the boardrooms of the big companies that have already signed on. Graphs were presented in PowerPoint. What do you suppose they said?

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I agree the differences in video are much easier to see, but if 1080p was delivered better, 99 percent of people wouldn't care about 4k. 

For instance, HDR could have been added to 1080p video. Even the most ardent fans of UHD agree that HDR is the more important part of the spec.

• 2 months later...

MQA at CES

1. According to a press release from the company, MQA CEO Mike Jbara will be "chairing a discussion focusing on the lifestyle trends and latest technology developments that are shaping consumer experience." Ominously entitled Music Streaming is Only the Beginning, the session will be held Wednesday, Jan. 10, 11:00-11:30am, in the Hi-Res Audio Pavilion, LVCC 14735. Anyone in Vegas, by all means let us know how it goes!

2. The same MQA press release lists several new licensing deals. One that struck me was nugs.net. MQA seems to be available for purchase, which would be an example of MQA moving beyond streaming and becoming an archival alternative to FLAC, et al. Also, MQA seems to be priced exactly the same as proper "HI-RES" audio. (Details of mastering differences are, of course, not available.)

3. Two points in the nugs.net FAQ are noteworthy:

What is MQA?

MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) is an award-winning* technology that delivers master quality audio in a file that’s small enough to stream or download.

What does the A for ‘Authenticated’ refer to?

Authentication refers to the fact that the music file has either been approved in the studio by the artist/producer or has been verified by the copyright owner.

It's distressing to learn that all those FLAC files I've been streaming and/or downloading are actually not "small enough" for those purposes. On the other hand, it's a thrill to discover that we can now buy "master quality audio" in genuine Master Quality format... and extremely comforting to know that, at the very least, "the copyright owner" has verified the file.
4 hours ago, mcgillroy said:

Above all there is not a single metric offered in this CES MQA press-release: no number of albums available, streams streamed, DACs sold, new signups in the fold (pun intended), market reach and potential. No revenue to show, simply nothing.

This is what struck me initially: it's a press release with no real news hook. "MQA Announces..." 20 new licensees!, or 100,000 albums now available! - those would be newsworthy. But "MQA will have a booth?" or "MQA will host a half-hour discussion"...? Seriously? The fairly vague material about licensing deals is presented more as background, than as news. Odd way to do PR...

It is sad to see nugs.net jumping on the bandwagon, but given the number of formats they offer, I suppose it's just a tick-box move for them. Hard to imagine anyone choosing MQA for downloads, especially when nugs' default "Hi-Res" files are the same price, and "CD-quality" (presumably 16/44 FLAC) is usually significantly cheaper. I'm still converting SHN and APE files I accumulated over the years. Who'd want to do that again?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Peter Markus said:

Correct me if I'm wrong... but I seem to recall that, once upon a time in this thread, a number of people claimed that such a thing as an "MQA CD" would never exist. Just goes to show that "never" is never as far in the future as we might hope.

"...With no MQA designation on the album cover or disc..."

Just gets better and better.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, HalSF said:

The one thing I find slightly irrational about this list of irrationalities is the idea that @John_Atkinson, who has a long well-established, and exhaustively explained skeptical hostility toward double-blind testing as an tool for evaluating hi-fi technology, should be concerned about MQA failing to sponsor double-blind A/B testing of its sound. That's on MQA, not John Atkinson.

Wouldn't reviewing high-tech products while maintaining public "hostility" to basic scientific methods be even more irrational than anything on my list?

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/7/2018 at 11:39 PM, Brinkman Ship said:

For the record, i do not believe Stereophile writers are paid to mention products ("product placements").

I don't think John Atkinson would allow it. TAS..it is possible..but only with certain writers.  But still unlikely. I don't think audio manufacturers would really need to do this. Providing the products for long term loan is sufficient enough incentive to get them mentioned.

I recently received an email in response to an article of mine that was published online. The email was from a commercial service that monetizes links. The idea was that if I signed up with them, I could make money every time someone followed a product link included in one of my articles. Clearly, there are companies making a business out of 'rewarding' journalists in this way. So presumably there are takers. It doesn't mean their reviews are slanted, necessarily... but it's not exactly the kind of incentive that would encourage incisive journalism.

Regarding long-term loans: yes, they're always a risk. Reviewing tech gear doesn't pay remotely enough to cover the expense of keeping one's own equipment close to the leading edge. So it's extremely tempting to accept 'loaners' or discounted purchases. In my experience, most such insider deals do not have specific strings attached. (Maybe it's just that I've never expressed enough openness to the idea. Or that I've never reviewed anything in the five- to six-figure price bracket.)

Also, don't forget that there's both a carrot and stick. Companies definitely tend to become less responsive to journalists who are repeatedly critical of their products or policies. Being shunned by a major industry player can be disastrous for a working tech journalist.