IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Vincent1234 said:

If you're paranoid this is probably true. ? In real life my dCS has no such thing as screwing up regular non-MQA files by applying the specific MQA filtering for those files too. In practice MQA does sound easily better than Redbook, at least when streamed.

Speaking of dCS, I have a Rossini right now and I can confirm that what nobody thought was possible is most certainly possible. When I play MQA music, I can select any of the dCS filters that I wish. The user isn't forced to use the MQA filter. But, I don't know of any other DACs, outside of dCS, on which this is possible.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, rickca said:

So dCS got MQA to throw in the towel on enforcing MQA filters?  What does dCS do with the filter selection information in the MQA stream if you are not using the MQA filters?  Are you saying that Berkeley did not do what dCS has done?

This makes a mockery of the whole MQA end-to-end story unless I misunderstand something.

What sounds best to you with MQA material?  One of the dCS filters or the MQA filters?

No matter what content is playing, I can select any of the dCS filters as long as they are for the correct format (PCM or DSD). For example, I can listen to an MQA track and select any of the following filters:

Filter 1
Filter 2
Filter 3
Filter 4
Filter 5
Filter 6
Filter M1

M1 is the MQA filter. I can even select the MQA filter for nonMQA content if I wish.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

45 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Also: The setting is MQA stream sensitive. By default, a non-MQA file will play with F1, and an MQA file will play with M1. It switches automatically back and forth based on the file type. 

And it remembers what you set. If you change MQA to F3, all MQA will be on F3 until you change it again.

P.S. John Q. said you're a nice guy :~)

1 minute ago, miguelito said:

For proper Roon integration they would have to make their database available to Roon. Qobuz has refused and is going at it alone. It’s quite misguided in my opinion as with Roon you would still have to pay Qobuz a full subscription fee. In fact even more likely that one would pay for Sublime service (I certainly would). 

I don’t know Deezer’s position on this. 

I really wish Roon would offer its own streaming service. It's pretty easy to do this now days. 

17 hours ago, Brinkman Ship said:

Yes it does. Mostly.

Otherwise the alternative is alot worse..that he is an incompetent, easily fooled boob who was not even sophisticated enough to see through this garbage technology. 

Take your pick. I vote for the financial motive.

Watch the personal attacks.

MQA LIVE LAUNCHES IN AUSTIN WITH EXCLUSIVE JAKE ISAAC LIVESTREAM

PRESS RELEASE

MQA LIVE LAUNCHES IN AUSTIN WITH EXCLUSIVE JAKE ISAAC LIVESTREAM

Austin TX / London, 19 March 2018: An invite-only audience in Austin experienced the debut of “MQA Live”, a new way for fans to connect to musicians. Jake Isaac and his band performed from London's Rocket Studios – the first time a live performance has been streamed in real time using MQA's technology. The performance was listened to live in an Austin home on a variety of devices to recreate everyday listening environments.

MQA is launching its “Live” product to enable music fans to connect in studio quality to their favourite artists, wherever and whenever the artists are performing. Fans can listen to a live concert in its original quality, as if they were standing in the venue. MQA Live offers access to gigs across different countries and time zones for loyal fans, as well as opening up concerts to new audiences.

Mike Jbara, MQA CEO, stated, “MQA Live offers fans the authenticated sound direct from the venue, so conveniently that it can fit into their everyday lifestyle, wherever they are and however they chose to listen. The home environment in Austin, with a variety of playback devices, was a great way to experience Jake’s special performance, and excited those in attendance to imagine a new age of social and appointment listening.”

Jake Isaac, singer-songwriter and musician, added, “I feel really lucky to have been part of the first MQA Live experience. After the performance, the MQA team played the recording of the live stream back for me and I was blown away with how powerful it felt.”

Why audio only

MQA Live is an audio-streaming tool. Recent research shows that 95% of YouTube/Vevo music users listen to music without watching the video (Midia Research) and 87% people listen to music on radio (IFPI: Connecting With Music), supporting the fact that a high quality audio-only experience fits into the lifestyle of music fans. Incidentally, it also dramatically reduces the expenses associated with video production and broadcasting, making it something that can be offered for every show and every artist in every venue.

How it works

MQA has applied its ground-breaking technology to make a real time encoder, which connects easily to the audio system of the location and then can be sent into the chosen delivery platform of promoters and venue owners. The only additional equipment required is MQA's live encoder box at the venue to encode the performance. This keeps production costs low, while the MQA encoding process preserves audio quality and addresses bandwidth issues. MQA music will stream and play back on any device, although for

optimum results and the full MQA ‘unfold’, use devices or software from the growing number of MQA partners.

For more information go to MQA Live.

-Ends-

MQA Press Contacts [email protected] | [email protected] Press Site for MQA www.mqa.co.uk/press

About MQA

Using pioneering scientific research into how people hear, the MQA team has created a technology that captures the sound of the original studio performance. The master MQA file is fully authenticated and is small enough to stream, while also being backward compatible, so you can play MQA music on any device. MQA’s award-winning technology is licensed by labels, music services and hardware manufacturers worldwide and is certified by the RIAA. MQA is a UK-based private company.

For more information visit www.mqa.co.uk Follow MQA on: Facebook Twitter You Tube

Jake Isaac’s performance was listened to ‘at home’ in Austin on the following devices:

• In the lounge: Bluesound Powernode 2 streamer with Sony SS-CS5 Stereo bookshelf speakers

• Outside on the deck: Macbook + Audirvana + Meridian Explorer2 DAC + Sony MDR-Z7

headphones

• In the bedroom: Bluesound Pulse Flex portable all-in-one wireless speaker

• On mobile: LG V30 handset + Oppo PM-1 headphones

• In the car: iPhone 8 + Amarra Play app + AudioQuest Dragonfly DAC

Setlist:

Lonely Are The Brave Will You Be
    I’m A Man (acoustic)
    I Got You

Long Road

15cbba74780f160c8d6697575030bbc791bd6ef4.png6914b5a46d526deeed548c077e377c8704288d5a.jpegdc1086e5c88cf9b76ab48e96d783476eb37552bb.jpeg0c96f8d3791014588bd7fce03800f83ebafc767e.jpeg5ee8dfc0ff25bdee29d1a253467f39f4d18c8e18.jpeg91801428663120adec4af0fd11869f0c9a4698fe.jpeg

0939b96cf773f26a36de770882ed890953027d41.pdf

1 minute ago, beetlemania said:

Curious why you responded almost 3 months later. Also, your latter point ("pay someone to write a front page article") was not true when @rwdvis wrote that post.

Thanks for bringing this up. @rwdvis was after me in another thread and I clicked on his user profile and saw his post here. I mistakenly figured it was more recent. My fault.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, FredericV said:

Is the MQA train still rolling? I'm not convinced. Last year MQA had a list of new brands adopting MQA just before the Munich show. Now looking at the MQA facebook page, I only see announcements of releases in this lossy pseudo hires DRM format, and the LG review, and other reviews from key opinion makers (hired guns).

The biggest hifi show in the world, but this year no announcement about new partnerships TBA in Munich, which is one week to go?

MQA's sights are set on much larger targets now. Think 10s of millions of users with each licensee.

1 hour ago, FredericV said:

Reminds me of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose_Corporation

Works well on the non-educated. H'mm both MQA and Bose share these out of phase tricks, evidence is the Bose 901 and so many reflecting designs which works by adding out of phase content.

The main difference is that Bose has very large marketing budgets, several pages in most lifestyle and AV magazines are not uncommon for our local Benelux market.

If you consider all the potential MQA licensees' marketing budgets combined, it dwarfs the Bose corporation. MQA doesn't have to push anything itself. All the licensees do it for them.