IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

21 minutes ago, GUTB said:

This isn't a simple compression mechanism, it's trying to rebuild a picture of the original's timing cues

In other words, "there's more to MQA than you think" or something to that effect. Another parroting of Bob-speak.

the final unfold applying the remaining timing corrections.

Would that be a second "unfold" (read: upsampling with lousy filters), or are you referring to some mythical third unfold, in which MQA certified hardware can literally birth a new world, causing a veritable revolution in audio.

This is what I gathered from the various interviews.

Who was interviewed, Bob Stuart? We're back to pure marketing-speak, again. A broken record.

What, did they toss you a free Dragonfly Cobalt or something?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

Setting aside whether or not MQA sounds better, it seems that everyone who has actually listened to MQA through a MQA DAC reports that it can sound very different.

False. See the McGill study.

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

As Jim Austin -- a PhD in physics -- over at Stereophile commented that the only way to test the time domain claims is with the participation of MQA Ltd.

Oooh, a call to authority. Maybe with Jim and MQA's help we can birth a new world too.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

Well, you've responded to all listener critiques with citing this McGill study.

No I have not. However I've suggested that you need to give it consideration, and understand why your having bought an MQA enabled DAC (you are personally invested in MQA), and also bought into a bunch of pure BS marketing-speak from an entity that stands to benefit financially from this scheme (Uncle Bob and co.), and your quoting of the perceived higher authority of Jim Austin et al. means you've drank a healthy dose of the Kool aid, your expectation bias likely now drives what it is you think MQA sounds like.

But I'm not expecting much from you here GUTB, your past posts on this board and your recent dismissal of Archimago's very well informed/written 3rd party opinion on MQA that has never been successfully refuted or rebutted in any way, means you are very likely a lost cause. Ditto your infamous and fully uninformed stance on Class D amplification, as if all such designs are the very same thing, and equally bad. Thats scary dogma and willingness to retreat to a comfort zone supported by the old guard audio press.

So I expect you'll reject the McGill study too, but not by means of any informed or competent critique/rebuttal.

I now return you to the Ignored member list.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, GUTB said:

Setting aside the question of MQA's efficacy, I think it's pretty obvious it's here to stay.

Except it isn't, in fact the entire current business model of streaming is not guaranteed to stay, those that report financials clearly lose huge money every single quarter, including Spotify who has the largest paid subscriber base. While the labels love it, they are the only ones making money, the streaming services do not and the artists aren't exactly pleased either. That appears unsustainable in its current form.

Given MQA's only current delivery method is the money losing Tidal (unless you are counting the stillborn MQA-CD which GUTB might be), I'd say there is no proof at all that it's here to stay.

On 12/26/2020 at 8:13 PM, GUTB said:

Outside of MQA, the only options are going to be the usual players: audiophile labels

So the GUTB crystal ball sees download services such as HDtracks being forced to shut down due to MQA?

MQA isn't going to impact the audiophile labels, they're still going to be releasing very high-res audio in all consumer formats even if they add MQA to their catalogues

That same GUTB crystal ball indicates the labels would continue to approve hi-rez releases "in all formats"? Not if their greedy accountant/lawyer top execs have their way. What are the formats (plural) you refer to? If they killed the standard Redbook streams in favor of lossy MQA-CD, what makes you think they would continue releasing actual Redbook CD media at all?

So really nothing's going to change.

You just parroted the stance of the main stream audio press, including right here in this very thread several years ago. That is of course exactly what the labels and MQA want everyone to think, while they slowly quietly eliminate consumer choice.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

28 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Anyway, why didn’t someone then create what MQA does a long time ago ?

Upsampling with leaky MP filters? That is old news.

Are they all idiots or ?

No, but they are helping the record labels impose DRM.

Why do “we” here at AS know better ?

It's not just we here, various other credible sources including Archimago's blog tell the exact same story, as do various well regarded manufacturers including (but not limited to) Benchmark, Linn, and EXOGAL. Why would you (or anyone really) trust Bob Stuart's word more than theirs?

Those above mentioned companies (and many others that simply skipped MQA without giving it word one of credibility or official consideration) are far more successful over the decades than BS's own Meridian ever was. No comparison actually.

I think the real question is why do YOU wish to so blindly trust Bob Stuart as some sort of audio god that not only knows all, but knows it better than everyone else?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

27 minutes ago, UkPhil said:

Seen as MQA is tiny when it comes to streaming if you take on board Spotify / Apple and behemoth Amazon, the issue isn’t Tidal the bigger issue is all the ground work has been done behind the scenes with the record companies buying into MQA ltd using Tidal as their test bench. If Tidal disappeared tomorrow I think the damage could already be done as the back catalogue could be processed as MQA and fed to all “lossless” companies as the only alternative keeping the revenue flowing. 

Let us hope that is not the case, and in the meantime, perhaps their little experiment would be halted if the dollars start to vanish both from Tidal, and/or the licensing from MQA hardware vendors. Boycotting that might put enough of a dent for the record labels to think twice.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

7 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

If I had to guess, I'd say Tidal is paying MQA between zero and $1 total. 

You're probably right, but still, money talks, and if it came to be that Tidal were purchased by Square for instance, then perhaps a flight of subscribers would be enough to persuade Tidal to undock their ship from MQA.

I'd also like to think hardware license revenue doesn't amount to much either, you'd think those manufacturers would have been smart enough to know MQA needs them worse than they need MQA, and driven a hard deal that produces next to nothing for MQA per unit sold. But if that were true, then a shunning of those manufacturers may not produce the desired result, if implementing MQA isn't costing them very much right now.

Lastly there would be the labels themselves, it originally looked like MQA thought they'd be charging the labels for the MQA encoding, but at least initially, that payment came in the reverse form of MQA giving equity to the labels, so I'm not sure at what point the labels would wish to consider shifting revenue to MQA itself, knowing they are part owners, or walking away if the big payday they were promised never materializes.

That's why I agree with @KeenObserver, boycott Warner, hit them in the pocketbook, and if you must stream a Warner artist, only do so if a non-MQA stream is available to you. If not, buy the CD, even if a used copy.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

13 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I’m not sure boycotts will help.

They help, money talks.

14 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Is it realistic to have more interviews with Bob when situations allow for it, and will it help ?

No.

14 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Has all questions been asked ?

Yes. Read the thread as @KeenObserversuggested.

12 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

No, whether it's BB or BS, they never tell a straight or complete story. Giving them more space to talk is only beneficial to them, not consumers. 

Well said.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

16 minutes ago, botrytis said:

This has been disproven by people, in this thread, and have shown it actually makes it worse. It also adds more noise and ringing. So, in point of fact, MQA does nothing at they say except line their pockets.

Well said, either GUTB has poor reading comprehension, or hasn't read much of anything at all, either here or in Archimago's blog which also covered this topic and has never been rebutted in any way.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

24 minutes ago, Abtr said:

Anyway, it surprises me that Neil Young apparently doesn't have a say in the distribution of his albums to Tidal in MQA format (by Reprise/Warner?) yet he has the power to remove his albums from Tidal altogether (not all albums, the titles from the Geffen label are still available on Tidal as redbook). He seems to think/suggest that Tidal did the MQA conversion which of course can't be true..

I was thinking the same thing, why would Warner Music Group be able to remaster his work without his permission, yet he can then just remove that from TIDAL? Seems strange.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

I see a new tact taken by iFi, or at least by reviewer Greg Weaver aka The Audio Analyst in a YouTube piece he did on the iDSD Pro from January 3rd.

In a 20+ minute review (for the life of me I have no idea why this is a video review), he makes exactly zero mentions of MQA anything. None, zilch, unless I somehow became momentarily distracted right at some critical moment where the MQA mention occurs.

What's interesting and different is that the focus is on iFi's Gibbs Transient Optimized (GTO) filter, which was not only shown on this very forum to be a total piece of crap in March 2019, but it was also described, at least at that time, as "minimum phase-like", and "was developed by iFi according to our specifications in conjunction with the MQA team."

So this would appear to be a new angle someone was trying to take, either the reviewer didn't want the typical negative avalanche that would likely ensue with yet another obligatory MQA love fest review, or perhaps he was asked to take that tact by iFi, and they are growing weary of the negative connotation that MQA carries and attaches itself to their products.

I guess it could also just be another stealth slip-in of something MQA, they wait for others to chime in favoring this lousy GTO filter, and then they say "HA! that's MQA you are listening to there" or something to that effect.

Lastly, in the comments section it is mentioned that legendary design engineer John Curl has been working on all AMR and iFi designs since August 2019. While I doubt that has an ounce of anything to do with MQA, I wonder what that means about Thorsten Loesch? Is he no longer with AMR/iFi?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

9 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

I don't know, it's better not to waste time making up a story.

With all due respect, this not a court of law in which the OP or anyone else owes us proof of something, otherwise it is assumed to be false or a "story".

Take what he says at face value, or not, but accusing people of telling stories quickly moves in the direction of demands for "proof or it didn't happen". He owes you no such burden of proof.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook