IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

3 hours ago, beetlemania said:

Because MQA is BETTER than the master tapes?

All kidding aside ... nothing is better than a master, ever.

The commercial games used to create fear and thus to sell high res to music consumers are all corrupt.  The master is what it is.  

I often print at 44.1 with the Pacific Microsonics AD.  This is not inferior to 96k or higher in a modern piece.   Production CHOICES are more important than slices per second and cutoffs above human hearing.  44.1 has a density in the low end that 96k does not.   HF details are not the prime currency of music, they are only one form of ear candy in a cocktail of musicality.

Just now, synn said:

So, the 2L files are still the only source for comparing MQA, 192khz, DSD and DXD, correct?

Just an aside here ... still on the basic topic of codecs.   Comparing all these files (above) is the game some people play to feel like they are in the process of creation. Yet that is not the case.   It's off topic.

1. There is the master file in the mastering session.  The master.

2. There is the released master (may or may not be the same files)

3. There are profit motivated other options released often with the lie that they are better, at higher sample rates..

4. Folks get invested in the AB of these NON MASTER files for sport.  This is simply a case of being USED to make money for others.

Higher sample rates DO NOT equal a better sound, a more accurate sound, a more faithful to the source or more respectful to the artists, etc, sound.

Reality check please.

1 hour ago, Abtr said:

OK, but tube amps tend to distort (much) more than solid state amps. I have a tube preamp and I can clearly discern the added 'tube sound'. But as yet I can't hear any characteristic added distortion in MQA. I hear differences between redbook and MQA, but IMHO that's fully the result of the use of a different master in MQA (usually, IME, a relatively low DR version is used but apparently not always). Can you describe how this distortion in MQA sounds? 

What matters is sufficient resolution to hear a sonic signature and compare it.   The ability to AB has nothing to with the gear actually, I can AB on headphones at a loud trade show and hear much more than most.

Tube amps can be more revealing than solid state, again watch the myths.   It's all in how things are done and ultimately how they interplay.   The room also, is huge.

To answer ... MQA has been tested to have harmonic distortion, and I heard it before the tests.  It's a potentially euphonic haze.

15 minutes ago, GUTB said:

BTW there is obviously no chance most of these MQA albums have been mastered with individual care, simply given the sheer volume of releases. I bet Meridian worked with the studios to build a bulk conversion script.

The true benefit will come from — as usual — audiophile labels and other special releases taking care in the mastering phase by talented engineers.

What benefit will come?

19 minutes ago, synn said:

One inconsistency I noted about MQA:

on one hand, they claim that each track has to be examined by their engineers and correction for the original ADC will be applied during the encoding process to MQA. And apparently the files have to be sent to them for this.

on the other hand, you hear announcements like how Warner etc. will be converting a huge portion of their catalog to MQA. If you consider the sheer amount of man hours required for this according to the claimed MQA workflow, not to mention the amount of logistics involved, there’s no way they are actually doing what they claim to be doing; unless they have an entire country at their disposal to churn the gears.

Yes, they are just kicking out something to make money that was not vetted or custom made.  And even if it was, it's not better or equal.

44 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

This is only true if you print at 44.1. I've got tons of downloads that were mastered at higher frequencies than this.

Whether or not, the additional audio information makes any difference is another discussion... :)

Everything about a format is incorporated into the released master

Bottom line

There is no "upgrade" only downgrades

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Lee Scoggins said:

3.  I do classical recordings and I plan to ask Bob Stuart or Mehow (Mytek) if they can encode a recording I did with the Texas Guitar Quartet.  That will allow me to do a more thorough and meaningful comparison.

4.  I have been impressed with two MQA demos I heard, one set up on a listening station at Mytek's Axpona booth and the demo that Peter McGrath and Bob Stuart did at the LA Audio Show.  The MQA encoded files sounded better to my ears in each instance.

So I am now on the forum here and I am still exploring the pros and cons of MQA encoding.  I hope these comments are helpful.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Lee

HI Lee,

Sounded "better to my ears in each instance" ... than what?

1 hour ago, #Yoda# said:

A great converter at 96k blows away most converters at 44.1

A well made AD at 44.1 beats a shitty AD at 96k.  The engineering is 98% of the sound.

96k vs. 44.1 in the Pacific Microsonics = less low end density at 96k, plus you need to SRC down to release it on CD.  This is stupid.  Lesser gear needs higher rates to shine, the best gear does not. 

Higher rates alters the presentation, not the quality.  Flavors of the same meal.  Not a better meal.  Sideways by sample rate, assuming great gear.

5 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

This is not always true. For instance, in 1991 I ran the tape machine for the McCoy Tyner New York Reunion session. We also used the latest converters to record digitally in 16/44.  Later the tape was mastered to DSD for a Super Audio CD.  While the early LP is very good, in many respects the SACD is my favorite version.

As long as one uses care in the mastering, an analog tape can be a great source for CDs and hirez formats.

You're confusing topics.   Audiophile recording in a flat transfer vs creative pop mastering.  Best gear higher rates for flat transfers, sure.  Not most mastering however.