IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

That its a 19V DC power input, even better... looks like I need to buy a NUC since my existing PC doesn't have UEFI which is needed for AL to boot. @lmitche  what NUC config

are you liking for AL and Roon server with  DSP use?

BTW, @lmitche very recently made a pretty detailed report about powering his NUC with the UltraCap LPS-1.2 at 12V:

Of course folks have been running NUCs--and Roon Nucleus, etc.--at 12V for a long time, with JS-2s or whatever else, but AFAIK Larry is the first to have powered a NUC from our little 1.1A toy.  :D

Anyway, my reason for posting was just to point out that 19V is far from a necessity for NUCs.  Despite what the back panel has etched, Intel's full spec documentation for virtually all NUC models of the past three years shows input range of 12-19V (and even a few 12-24V). It all gets dropped WAY down with DC-DC switching regulators on the logic boards anyway.

1 hour ago, Johnseye said:

Will two lps-1.2's connected with a Y cable work?  No issues by combining two different power sources into one feed?  How many amps does the NUC require...kinda asking that to myself before I go look it up.

Both @lmitche and I are happily powering his AL-NUCs with a single UltraCap LPS-1.2 set to 12V. 

Nothing in these NUCs actually runs from even 12V—it all gets stepped down, by multiple DC-DC switching regulators, to 3.3V, 1.8V, 1.1V, etc.  No advantage to running from 19V.

[Hope this time I have phrased these facts in such a way that avoids @seeteeyou from shouting “shameless promotion.” x-D Larry made a nice report in this very thread a couple of weeks ago, but it quickly got buried by one of Roy’s long posts and responses to same. Clearly it got overlooked.]

11 minutes ago, Dev said:

The Celeron NUC should be fine but not sure about i7 NUC. Its about 28watts (configurable down to 20watts). Moreover, earlier reports suggest that a beefier power supply on these NUCs sound better, eg. PH SR4 to SR7.

Of course. And the very available JS-2 can produce 7.2A at 12V, so many users have been using it for their i7 NUCs these past few years.  With wattage to spare for some other device on second output.

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Roy observed that the NUC sounds better at 19 volts. I aim to hear the benefit of the additional 7 volts.

I recall you saying that you though Roy was not able to do an apples-to-apples comparison of 12V versus 19V because his SR7 was only 19V and the 12V supply he compared to was either a different Hynes model or some other supply.

In any case, we look forward to hearing about the results of your experiment with a serial pair of UltraCap LPS-1.2 units, though I guess it will take some work to make a serial-wired 'Y' from the terrific Gotham wire you (and I now, thanks) use.  :D

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Cool, how about a 19 volt JS-2?

As mentioned on the phone, this is trivial to do and I have voltage set resistors arriving to do max. current tests at both 15V and 19V.  

The JS-2 won't be able to offer 7+ amps at 19V (as it does for 12V), but I'm hoping it will make it to 4.5A easily. Could simply substitute the set resistor on one of the four settings (presently 5/7/9/12V) on one of the output jacks.  19V/4.5A is still 86W.  Plenty for this class of NUCs.

Still, I am not yet convinced of any benefit to 19V.  We have loads of happy NUC and Roon Nucleus users at 12V. 

@lmitche So is my NUC (I think same as what is being spoken of) just a quad-core Pentium?  

If cores are the thing--even just for use as NAA or Roon endpoint--then I makes me wonder about the potential of Apple's new 2018 8-core mini.  I think someone here has booted AudioLinux on a Mac (I know Linux on a Mac is not difficult).  Rather pricey though.  And until we get one and sit down to figure out space and Apple's new mobo power connector, our Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK) will not work with the 2018 minis. 

2 hours ago, octaviars said:

I measured my NUC7i5BNH it has M.2 SSD for ROCK OS and second SSD for music.

This is with regular 44.1/16 no DSP

19Vdc average 0.57A (10.83W) and peak 1.5A
15Vdc average 0.69A (10.35W) and peak 2.1A
12Vdc average 0.81A (9.72W) and peak 2.8A

Average is during play to Roon endpoint. Peak was during start up.

Interesting how the efficiency is greater (lower wattage) at 12V than at 19V.  9_9

1 hour ago, greenleo said:

I'm not a DIY guy and never good at soldering.  I used to buy DC cables from Ghent and now find that there are many options like star quad, upocc, ..., 

Please advise me which cable should I use or your experience.

Suggestions of other DC cable makers are welcome.  You may pm me because this post may be off topic.

I have 3 of the Gotham GAC4 cables with shields configured to JSSG360 and they are outstanding.  Mine were hand made for me by @lmitche, but a couple of months ago Ghent (who seems to watch threads here or is prompted by @R1200CL :ph34r:) has begun offering the Gotham GAC4/JSSG360.

https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc-gac4.html

I make no claim about if Ghent are hooking up the shields properly (the GAC4 is a confusing cable! https://gothamcables.com/en/gothamcables/starquad/11301gac41ultrapro).

The owner of Ghent sent me an e-mail--offering us samples (thank you for all the referrals for DC and 'Y' cords I guess), but I have not had a chance to reply with a list.

11 hours ago, Dev said:

Roon Core/Roon Bridge vs LMS/Squeezelite vs Roon Core/Squeezelite:

Hi Dev:

You mention throwing HQ Player into the mix.  Larry built me a Celeron AL/NUC that I use as an NAA endpoint.  It sounds excellent but I am very curious to know how it (NAA) might compare to its use as a Squeezelite endpoint fed by LMS on my desktop.

My schedule is really jammed until January so I’d enjoy reading what you might have to say if you (or others) are able to make such a direct comparison.

Thanks,

—Alex C.

23 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi Dev:

You mention throwing HQ Player into the mix.  Larry built me a Celeron AL/NUC that I use as an NAA endpoint.  It sounds excellent but I am very curious to know how it (NAA) might compare to its use as a Squeezelite endpoint fed by LMS on my desktop.

Bump @Dev.

Can you compare HQ Player Desktop>AL/NAA versus LMS>AL/Squeezelite?

7 minutes ago, austinpop said:

You had this all figured out 5 years ago?!

Hardly, but thanks.  (And I was partially just making a joke.)  Yet really a lot of the same folk here were part of that way-back-when journey. :D

I've often repeated that most of computer audio front end improvement is about reducing the active processes (both h/w and s/w) of the DAC-connected computer.  For a long time the Mac mini was a good platform for doing this, but much beyond OS X Mavericks it became very difficult to slim the OS down to the level where the magic would happen.

Of course these minimalist and headless Linux installs (AL, Miska's NAA images, OrbiterOS, and others) make that much easier, and loading the whole OS to RAM is the icing on the cake. 

23 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

While three Connor-Winfield OH4 Series OCXO (better ones cost even more) alone might cost less than 200 bucks...

Actually, look at the -100 dBc/Hz phase noise @10Hz offset spec for the $50 20Mhz Connor-Winfield OH4 and you will see that better clocks (for audio applications) cost less, not more. 9_9

Even the $9.60 Crystek CCHD-575 has lower phase noise/jitter than those C-W clocks. And that's from the published very conservative Crystek plots--actual production 575s run -108 to -112 at 10Hz (for a 25MHz part).

14 hours ago, bobfa said:

The NUC is powered by the SMPS it came with.

Happy New Years Bob.  Why not run your NUC from your JS-2?  Many dozens of people do. 12V is just fine for those.

You’ll of course need a cable with 5.5mm x 2.5mm plug at the device end—versus 5.5mm x 2.1mm as you use with the UltraRendu.  I can fix you up with that.

Cheers,

—Alex C.