IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

6 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

My intention is to eliminate the sMS-200.  With the new motherboard I'll add a tx-USBexp and either convert that to an Ultra with a sCLK or txUSBultra.  Haven't decided which yet.  It's either add the txUSBultra and don't update my switch clock or add the txUSBultra because of the limited number of taps available.  Theoretically I shouldn't need the txUSBultra with a txUSBexp so that's likely the route I'll take.  Just waiting for confirmation from May.

I will be putting the 3M absorber in all devices possible except speakers of course.

A brand new txUSBexp arrived in the mail yesterday.  It's breaking in now.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

1 hour ago, Johnseye said:

My intention is to eliminate the sMS-200.  With the new motherboard I'll add a tx-USBexp and either convert that to an Ultra with a sCLK or txUSBultra.  Haven't decided which yet.  It's either add the txUSBultra and don't update my switch clock or add the txUSBultra because of the limited number of taps available.  Theoretically I shouldn't need the txUSBultra with a txUSBexp so that's likely the route I'll take.  Just waiting for confirmation from May.

I will be putting the 3M absorber in all devices possible except speakers of course.

I believe Lee said that the tx-USBexp still sounds better with a tX-USB Ultra after it, but @austinpopor @romazcan correct me if I'm misremembering. 

4 hours ago, lmitche said:

A brand new txUSBexp arrived in the mail yesterday.  It's breaking in now.

As I reported last summer, the tXUSBEXP isn't nearly as effective without the sCLK-EX.  I found the ISO Regen more effective.  But once the the clock was replaced with the sCLK-EX, that's when the magic started to occur.  Adding the rest of the clock points to the mobo, takes it to a whole new level.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

2 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Adding the rest of the clock points to the mobo, takes it to a whole new level

Regarding adding the extra clocks to the mobo any special mobo to look for? No need for high power cpu will not use dsp in Roon.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
2 hours ago, limniscate said:

I believe Lee said that the tx-USBexp still sounds better with a tX-USB Ultra after it, but @austinpopor @romazcan correct me if I'm misremembering. 

Yes, but again your talking about a server less sCLK-EX incorporated.  Of course, in such a case adding sCLK-EX clocks anywhere in the chain, Ethernet or USB is going to help.  The point is, why not do it at the source instead and leave out the fixers?

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

2 minutes ago, octaviars said:

Regarding adding the extra clocks to the mobo any special mobo to look for? No need for high power cpu will not use dsp in Roon.

Biggest feature, make sure you can give it quality low power.  A 12V DC input is nice.  I thought Johnseye suggested a great ITX mobo the other day.  Or go smaller like I did with a NUC or Pico-ITX  with a PCIe mini adapter to PCIe.  Roy also suggested a mobo.

4 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Yes, but again your talking about a server less sCLK-EX incorporated.  Of course, in such a case adding sCLK-EX clocks anywhere in the chain, Ethernet or USB is going to help.  The point is, why not do it at the source instead and leave out the fixers?

I think Eric left out the key phrase "sCLK-EX'ed" to preced tX-USBexp.

37 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I think Eric left out the key phrase "sCLK-EX'ed" to preced tX-USBexp.

Even if it was, modded tXUSBexp with sCLK-EX, it still is only one point.  You really need to use all 4 points for the full benefit.  Exactly my point about the SOtM server builds, they only use two points (in the stream), main mobo system clock and tX-USBexp. 

It's really similar to the trifecta, the use of all 4 sCLK-EX points gives full benefit to SQ.

6 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Even if it was, modded tXUSBexp with sCLK-EX, it still is only one point.  You really need to use all 4 points for the full benefit.  Exactly my point about the SOtM server builds, they only use two points (in the stream), main mobo system clock and tX-USBexp. 

It's really similar to the trifecta, the use of all 4 sCLK-EX points gives full benefit to SQ.

You're preaching to the choir here.

I'm not disputing that you should maximize all 4 clock points on your sCLK-EX board. Of course you should. After all, that's what my trifecta does.

But even with that, there appears to be further benefit to a tX-USBultra between the server and the DAC. Please read Roy's latest setup - he uses an ISO-R AND a tX-USBultra downstream of his server. 

On 10/2/2017 at 6:09 AM, romaz said:

... however, adding a reclocked ISO-Regen and tX-USBultra definitely adds further improvement and for those looking to go to infinity and beyond ...

37 minutes ago, austinpop said:

You're preaching to the choir here.

I'm not disputing that you should maximize all 4 clock points on your sCLK-EX board. Of course you should. After all, that's what my trifecta does.

But even with that, there appears to be further benefit to a tX-USBultra between the server and the DAC. Please read Roy's latest setup - he uses an ISO-R AND a tX-USBultra downstream of his server. 

Roy only has 3 points incorporated into the server stream at any given event from his data drive.  Might follow that an additional fixer with one point might help, which he also claims he could live without.  In fact, only 2 points for the actual stream from memory.

To be truthful, I don't know how many points or clocks are being incorporated in my NUC build that directly effect the audio stream.

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

One such exception was the Bluebird room, which demo'd the Chord Dave and Blu-2 M-scaler, playing on Vienna Acoustics speakers. Hearing the Dave by itself and then with the M-Scaler was epic. This was a fall out of your chair improvement. I know I've said I find DAC differences to be modest, but this was anything but. I heard the same effect downstairs in the CanJam Chord booth.

Does this mean you've changed your opinion on the DAVE?  And thus the opinion on DACs in general, there effectiveness to outperform high range to mid range and their worth in relation to the digital frontend.

I'm on my way home from RMAF.

It was an absolute treat to hang out with @romaz and @limniscate. Roy is just the nicest guy you could imagine, and the man is literally a walking encyclopedia of audiophilia. If he hasn't auditioned it at home, he's heard it, or at least heard of it, and can give you amazing insights into it. It was also great to meet @kennyb123 from this thread at the RMAF happy hour that @The Computer Audiophile hosted. It was great to meet several other CA'ers at the happy hour. And through Roy, we met and hung out with "Audio Bacon."

W also got the opportunity to go out to dinner with May and Lee. I continue to be amazed at what this little company of 6 manages to deliver. And they are both the nicest people.

The SOtM (pronounced Sohm (t-silent), we learned :)) room was one of the better sounding rooms, primarily due to the Ultra chain. Lee had brought his Advanced sCLK-OCX10. This is the middle version, not the Reference. Even so, the demo with the clock connected vs. disconnected was as dramatic as we had heard in our own systems. There's no way at a show to say how this clock would compare to a Cybershaft or the Ref 10, but it's certainly making a huge difference over the sCLK-EX. It was nice to see Roy, Eric, and me have the same knowing reaction to the clock's effect.

Extending this further - now that we've gotten so used to the glare-free and natural presentation of our clock chains, it was actually the rare room at the show - among those playing digital - where the "glare" was not immediately obvious.

One such exception was the Bluebird room, which demo'd the Chord Dave and Blu-2 M-scaler, playing on Vienna Acoustics speakers. Hearing the Dave by itself and then with the M-Scaler was epic. This was a fall out of your chair improvement. I know I've said I find DAC differences to be modest, but this was anything but. I heard the same effect downstairs in the CanJam Chord booth.

Finally, it was a treat to have a long chat with Rob Watts, due to our "friends of Roy" elite status.

I'm so glad I went!

I wish I were able to make it and hang out with you guys! Glad you enjoyed your time

. I continue to be amazed at what this little company of 6 manages to deliver. And they are both the nicest people.

Totally agree with you. What I find so impressive about SOTM is not only the innovative products they develop but also the rapid pace of development. Ultra products followed by sps-500 PSU then reference clock and who knows what next!