IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Hi,

did anyone tried daphile in a client/server setup and compare it to audiolinux? for the last nearly 4 years i am using daphile an the futro 900 thinclient with realy good results. i use it in an Server/Client Setup. its only a 5 Minute thing to prepare 2 usb sticks or sd-cards to make it run. anyone here who tried that too? you can buy it for 20-30 euro on eBay - and even when labled Fujitsu its still made in Germany! Ist perfect for the daphile 64-bit rt kernel. 4GB ram is highly recommended. Throw the 20v smps and use a good and clean min. 2A rated LPS for optimal results.

regards

sunny

5 hours ago, Cooler said:

Not only noise(electrical) is problem. Another issue is vibration. And fan would create additional EMF anyway.

I would buy better case, than add fans.

There are a lot more problems. The easiest way is to use a pc hardware that doesn't need a fan like the fujitsu futro ones. Its a computer with a  high audio performance.

Best regards

Sunny

@rafa

there are only 2 transformers. This is allready a compromise. Normally i use one transformator per psu. What you are pointing at is a differential mode choke. This is part of every psu i build. For the last 4 years i build a lot more than 40 different psu with different designs vom battery to ultracap vom choke incl. to shunt back and forth. In a high end psu you can try your very best to work against some of the more than 30 different kind of noise. Every transformator produces cm-noise. Therefore a cm-choke in the ac line is included. The hammond choke helps against hf-trash and differential mode noise. The big audible difference is the mosfet recitiver. Every kind of diode sounds different - from glass to schottky. I used differend kinds of  zobel during the years. But this mosfet stuff is a big step in sound. Clearer and more dynamics than any other. Space is not my problem.... If you would see my dacs. ?

I never would use a ssd. Compare hdd, sdd, msata, sd, usb stick an cf and let your ears decide...

Every part has a different power and that's importent.

Best regards

15 hours ago, Bricki said:

Of course there are better dacs than a mojo but I would rather spend my money to improve things upstream because that is where I believe the more significant bottle necks are. 

@austinpop may have an opinion about the relative benefits of improving the dac vs improving everything before the dac??

He has had a lot of recent experience with doing exactly that, so he may be able to chime in here. 

thats my opinion too. the last years i spend a lot time to build dac´s better and better. but in the last months we put more focus on the streamer itself. and later on server/client typol. if the frontend is state of the art - its not a big difference if i change froim my actual 9038pro design back to my beloved 14bit tpa1540. The difference - powered with the same supreme psu units - is in the same range if you change a good usb cable into a 1euro-came with the printer usbcable.

the change of sq was bigger from a futro with daphile to 2 futro with daphile in server/client mode. and if you need to have a look on the price tag... its much cheaper than spending a lot money for a new dac. better save the money an spend it on the upstream. if your ready with that...and the wallet is still full, try to update your creapy powersupply of your old dac... change the clock ... the op-amps end so on. you will learn a lot and have more fun.

regards

sunny

37 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

I've learned to hit play and leave it alone!!  Watching the detailed logs, it looks like it is the two way orchestration is when things glitch

I can't go back to Roon Bridge, but I can't impose squeezelite on civilians (yet)

Why are you so focussed on roon?  Before i switch back to squeezelite... I prefer the daphile squeeze based solution. You got a server, you got a client... Took you about 10 minutes to prepare a usb stick with the 64bit real time kernel... And 2 sd cards etc to give it a try. At least 20min...all is installed and running. I guess you will not make a mistake.

Regards

Sunny

13 hours ago, Advieira said:

...I have read that some people say that the M-scaler is a Game Over in pursuit of sound quality of transport/source/Streaming

hi, 

as  long as one component reacts (e.g. the m-scaler) on a component-change  in the upstream... ist not game over. after 4 years of expensively hunting for the holy grail in streaming. i must say that i don´t belief, it will come to an end soon. there are so many influences on the total sq, so many strange discoveries made until now, noone got a answer, why that happends and how. 

I think we realy understood not even 20% of CA. and if you had a look at most of the professionals and the retail stuff, they do either. for the most i think, noise dosn´t realy exist. 

regards,

sunny

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2018 at 9:04 PM, Dev said:

Below is the interesting part and key difference from LPS-1(.2). Any thoughts from the PSU experts ?

Why are you using the super capacitor power bank as smoothing capacitors and do you not switch between one bank while loading the other?

There are several reasons why we do not do this. First it means extra switching electronics in the supply lines, second it means that you are using only half of capacity of the super caps at a time. Third and maybe most important, it means that the final regulator does not get a constant voltage at its input, meaning different voltage drop, and therefore slowly varying power dissipation and temperatures all the time. This influences the output characteristics of the regulator, and the output power quality. Because in our supplies we use a choke smoothing and pre-regulation before the supercapacitor banks, noise residue will be minimal and also the necessity for switching.

Its so funny we allready tried this in 2014 /2015 with first 3.000F boostcaps, than boostcap plus regulated psu, than with regulator behind, than switching F350 cells with a rpi doing the switching job... Than with choke smoothing and regulator... A polymer in the output behind the regulator... And and and...

more can be found here: (german language only) https://www.diy-hifi-forum.eu/forum/showthread.php?9501-Auf-der-Suche-nach-meinem-idealen-Netzwerkplayer-mein-Leidensweg/page2

That was much earlier than anyone else in the internet.

But in the end, we allways found out that there are much better ways without ultracaps. It was a nice way... But today i will not use ultracaps anymore in my system. I just found 2 pics from 2014/2015 on my mobile phone...but i can find pictures from every step. From time to time a friend uses these old ultracap psu to make sure how far we are now away from that point.

But i still like the way ultracaps indicate mistakes in your wireing ?

Regards

Sunny

Screenshot_20181226_181947.jpg

Screenshot_20181226_181827.jpg

My opinion befor spending so much money for something new... Is allways important to find out which part is responsible for the better sq. Thats what am i doing for years now. Changing one endpoint to another will never end the game, because all retail stuff got build in other bottlenecks. There is nothing available on the market without a bottleneck. I am using 6 neutron star 2 in my setup until now and some neutrino star...The using of neutron stars is realy a big step in sq. But i am not using their power supply. The neutron star power supply sounds... Like the psu i build 3 years ago. The clock in a system should have the best psu. For that reason i build a kaskarde of my psu with 2 regulators at minimum.

Regards

45 minutes ago, Music Enthusiast said:

So you're saying it's impossible to engineer a DAC to not be influenced from upstream tweaks? 

That is definitely true.

And the dac is only one part in the whole game. And my listening experience  is that it has not the biggest influence on the total sq. I focused on the dac for years and build dacs with all available dac chips in the last years but today i would only say that the dac makes 20-25% of the total sq. There are many possibilities to get a better sq without  spending money for a new dac

Regards

Guys... The sr7 is not the only good sounding PSU on the Market. At the moment you are just building legends instead of beeing open minded.

If you want to have a realy good setup you need a supreme class psu at every important part. In my setup i use 20! That are sounding close to the top-class sr7. Thats a much bigger step than only one...

Regards

Sunny

• 2 months later...

Hi @RickyV,

it depends. The coax output is only better if you cant mount it very close to the host. the neutrino is an improvement due to the seperate power supply and the isolator but it didn´t come with the temperature regulation like the neutron star got. how many other clock-boards do you know that got that feature??

@LTG2010the fidelityaudio clock would not be my choice, becouse it got no isolator and the rest looks easy made for me. (it got no temperature regulation also) some polymere caps did not make me to click on the "buy "button. what is really nice is a fitting service... just wondering how that thing could weigh 10kg!

you can compare the neutrino sq with a sellarz audio

https://www.ebay.de/itm/R-Clock-High-Precision-Low-Jitter-Reference-Clock-with-Ultra-Low-Noise-Regulator/230871603430?hash=item35c10518e6:g:EJAAAOxyyUtScgHh

for example. It got a seperate supply and a isolator. neutrino and sellarz are worth what you pay for it. i prefer the neutron stars active input. if you use it to replace a cmos-clock, it will work without adjustment. sometimes when you are using the coax output it can be tricky, and sometimes you need to adjust the signal with a small trimmer. so without the possibillity of measurement impossible to do.

regards

Sunny

24 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

FWIW, May claims that an externally clocked sNH-10G does not sound as good as the model with the internal sCLK-EX board. 

That is normal for clock tunings. Against all marketing stuff... A clock can only be clean on short distances. Dont believe in one who tells you that 50cm+ like you have if you use an external clock is okey. 5cm clock to host ist okey. better less than that, even with coax cables. That can only be done with internal clocks, guy's. Every cm more is an open side for pollution of any kind. Buy something like this below .. And find out what and how much is going to have an influence on you clock cable...

Its not realy precise but enough to have an idea whats going on in the neighborhood.

Regards

Sunny

IMG_20190322_232448.jpg

4 hours ago, TubeMan said:
looks like a SOtM clone, improvement
same chipset as SOtM,
Texas drivers for both
very similar layout,

but seems interesting because they have another clock

hi,

this is normal. most Designers are just taking the datasheet and build up the recommended circuid. thats it - no Magic!

the first time i saw that X-HI Version - that would be the one to take for me - ist easy to Change the onboard clock with a Neutron star. the sq-difference from that blue Jeans clock and the cchd575 is imho not that big, and not worth 100 bucks. much better is a seperate clock with seperate power supply and Isolation to prevend ground-loops. 

regards

sunny

2 hours ago, motberg said:

Anyone using or compare AL or Euphony with Volumio?

HI,

i am doing it for nearly 3 Weeks now. Still have no 100% favorite! that means in other words Volumio is damned good for being a Freeware. it depends on the Hardware, which System is the best. On my older futro 900-fanless PC daphile wins every contest. ... so there is no operating System that wins every contest on all hardware-Setups. After listening to Volumio on a single NUC7i7DNHE (i own two in Plato Housing for better A/B-Test) for nearly two weeks i changed back to euphony yesterday - and back to volumio, becouse i missed the higher Dynamics from Volumio.

•  
9 hours ago, romaz said:

Avoidance of a SSD is my chief goal since disk access isn't such a big deal with Linux.  Even a USB stick which is very slow sounds as good as an Optane drive with either Euphony or AL.  I think the performance of Optane is a bigger deal for Windows.

Anyone have suggestions on what type or characteristics a USB stick should have for persistent use with Euphony or AL ?

I was comparing optane, USB-Stick 2.0, SLC USB-Stick this Weekend with Euphony. On Optane, Euphony sounds a bit thin and bloodless to my ears. A USB 2.0 Intenso Stick was on the same Level - so no benefit. A seperate powered  SLC-USB-Stick from Winkom opened the door to never heared subsonics.

Regards

Sunny

40 minutes ago, romaz said:

My experience is that the quality of the USB stick has no impact on SQ.  I've tried an expensive SLC USB stick I had lying around and it resulted in no change in SQ that I could hear with Euphony compared against a cheap $5 Sandisk.  Of course, if you are using AL ramrooted, for sure the USB stick won't matter.

Just get a fast USB 3.0 or 3.1 USB stick to keep your wait times to a minimum during bootup.  These devices have limited write cycles before they fail and so make sure you have a backup.  Fortunately, these things are cheap.

This will be my last post on AS for the foreseeable future.  Please forgive me if I don't respond to queries that are addressed to me.  Best wishes and I hope to meet up with some of you in Munich in May.

thats right, The Magic comes when you power the usb-stick with a seperate and high quality power supply.

use  e.g. a usb 3.0 Adapter, take out the ground and V+ line, cut V+ line, connect V+ and gnd from your psu... then you will be able to hear really big differences between CF, SD, SLC and simple blue jeans usb sticks. These differences are much bigger than clock tunings. Everything that ist connected to the nuc/pc must have a seperate power supply and the V+-Line cut. thats a basic in a audiophile Computer audio setup.

regards

sunny

• 4 weeks later...