IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 2.6

jtm

ok... started (once more!) from scratch :-/

my music files are on a NAS share called "music" (and mounted via SMB)

inside "music", albums are organised in subfolders by file kind "AIF", "AIF-HiRes", "FLAC", "FLAC-HiRes" and so on

so in "Preferences/Library" I start adding "AIF" and... all is fine so far

then, once A+ has finished scanning, I add "AIF-HiRes" and... with Library View always set to "Album Artist/Year/Album Title" the mess is back exactly as before: many artsist are scattered in-between "Various Artist" stuff :rolleyes:

both my "Artist" and "Album Artist" tags are properly set (using Yate + its Audirvana preset)

all was fine in A+ 2.5.4

:mad:

The Mess Is Back.jpg

EDIT: and to make things even better... sorting order if fine on my iPad =:-0

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

As a beta tester, I also encountered many of the metadata and library organization-related issues that we've heard about in the initial posts since official 2.6 release.

What I had to do was follow the logic of organizing my music files so that it is consistent with what A+ expects: songs within folders arranged by album; multi disc sets with songs in separate folders by disc number, all contained within a larger folder for the entire multi disc set.

I've asked the same questions in the same vein as pl_svn and others: does A+ use existing metadata tags or not? I'm not sure I got a response, but library organization fixed the library sorting problems in my case, which then showed the previous metadata. I didn't have to re-rip or retag files.

DSF files may be different. I have only a few, so I don't have much to add here, maybe others can jump in.

I'll also join the group that has not been completely pleased with the sound quality of the official release of 2.6. The betas did have a touch more refined sound. I preferred beta 18 in my system.

I like the rest of the added functionality of A+, but admittedly, I have not used other software that may be a fair comparison.

This is a work in progress and kudos to Damien for continuing to improve and listen to customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

What I had to do was follow the logic of organizing my music files so that it is consistent with what A+ expects: songs within folders arranged by album; multi disc sets with songs in separate folders by disc number, all contained within a larger folder for the entire multi disc set.

truly hope this is *NOT* the case! =:-/

my music files are organised by 1 Folder = 1 Album

if Album has more than 1 disc... tracks do have "1-" "2-" etc suffixes followed by track #

not going to change this!

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Take a look at the manual language (bottom of page 1) https://audirvana.com/expov2/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Audirvana-Plus-2.6-update-1.pdf

"During synchronization, audio files with no metadata (i.e. missing album information) are grouped by folders into albums that use the folder name as title, and the folder parent name as artist name. This enables all to use all the display, navigation and search features with them."

So it looks like the problems are encountered with files missing metadata, but it would be good to know which fields are required, as I previously used XLD and A+ to tag my library.

Perhaps Damien can weigh in here?

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

Perhaps Damien can weigh in here?

popcorm.gif

headphones system:

I've asked the same questions in the same vein as pl_svn and others: does A+ use existing metadata tags or not? I'm not sure I got a response, but library organization fixed the library sorting problems in my case, which then showed the previous metadata. I didn't have to re-rip or retag files. DSF files may be different. I have only a few, so I don't have much to add here, maybe others can jump in.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

.DSF files followed like my PCM ones... i have also the same library in JRIVER and with that, i have now the DR number on my .DSF files that came from JRIVER tagging since A+ don't calculate them :-)

Snapz001.jpg

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

Morning all,

I am running a library of 90k+ songs, the vast majority flac files stored on a NAS drive. When installing 2.6 I did this as an automatic upgrade through the menu path: Audirvana Plus -> Check For Updates. I chose library conversion vs. build from scratch.

I love much of the new functionality but Audirvana has, to all intents and purposes, ceased being a functional player. Here are some examples of the bugs I am seeing for discussion and to help Damien troubleshoot:

1. In the "tracks" view as soon as I use the filters on any tag ALL tracks simply disappear. I can only get these back by going into album view and back out again.

2. Metadata is all over the place. E.g. I have a bunch of files with genre showing blank. Running these files through Metadatics I can clearly see that these are populated and Audirvana will not let me update (something to do with a permissions error) but I cannot recreate the permissions error in metadatics or any other software program. Other tracks have totally random info - there are some albums whose tracks have part of the path name as the genre - this has never been assigned as a value to any of my genre tags!

3. When performing the autosync on start up everything goes "jumpy" so that I cannot select any track or album to try and play without Audirvana automatically selecting a random song / album.

4. I am struggling to play a lot of songs full stop.

I hope this is helpful input in conjunction with some of the other issues others are reporting.

My immediate question is how I back out to the previous alpha release if I have automatically updated?

Many thanks,

Tom

hi guys new to this thread. Recently got Audirvana, was wondering if you could help me with two things:

First, often when splitting the tracks under library using an artist filter, the tracks just disappear and I have to click in and out to get them to return... is this a known bug?

Secondly, trying to use direct mode, I get a error message that says: Direct Mode OSError = dmod. I'm using an Apogee Duet DAC.

thanks!

hi guys new to this thread. Recently got Audirvana, was wondering if you could help me with two things:

First, often when splitting the tracks under library using an artist filter, the tracks just disappear and I have to click in and out to get them to return... is this a known bug?

Secondly, trying to use direct mode, I get a error message that says: Direct Mode OSError = dmod. I'm using an Apogee Duet DAC.

thanks!

yes bug, and if you are with Sierra direct mode is not working, last OS was El Capitan 10.11.6 that worked without troubles...

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by tommy.toolman viewpost-right.png

1. In the "tracks" view as soon as I use the filters on any tag ALL tracks simply disappear. I can only get these back by going into album view and back out again.

Same here, but I cannot be sure that I can get these back.

for me since yesterday... no filter apply my library just vanished in the bottom window... usually i see all my songs listed by years :-)

but all is good in Albums view... that i use :-) no sample rates listing also

Snapz001.jpg

If I could not find Bob Dylan, I would change software.

Not software related: the Swedish Nobel committee can't find him either …

"It is commonly accepted amongst authentic libertines that the sensations communicated by the organs of hearing are the most flattering and those impressions are the liveliest" (Donatien Alphonse François de Sade)

Unfortunately, after update to 2.6 Audirvana is crushing when library is syncing. I exclude every folders, and try to sync one by one – Audirvana crush with any folder. So, I restored the previous version, 2.5.4. My OS is 10.11.6, AUNE S16 DAC. I haven't any issues with A+ before 2.6. My library content about 4 600 albums with more than 57 thousands tracks.

Wow, I just upgraded A+ on both my computers and it went without a hitch. One album missing artwork but that's it.

I haven't had a chance to listen to anything yet so can't say there arn't any bugs but will update. So far I'm stoked. Cheers Damien for all the hard work.

What's the fix for multiple discs? I had everything tagged properly with Yate but some of my albums are now split into individual discs.

With 2.6 Audirvana also looks up the folder names. I used to have folders with names like Symphony 1, Symphony 2, etc. In the previous release Audirvana did not use the folder names and all CD's in the folders where bundled into one Album as defined in Yate with Disc Numbers (Disc .. of ..). With 2.6 these albums became separate albums.

You can join them to one album again by renaming the folders to CD 1, CD 2, etc. Also if a folder (e.g. Symphony 2) contains folders with more CD folders you have to take them into the new folder naming convention. Say for example in the folder named Symphony 2 are 2 folders with 1 album in each folder, the folder names should be ordered now on the same tree branch in the finder: CD 1 (from Album Symphony 1), CD 2 and CD 3 (both from the folder Symphony 2), etc.

I reported to Damien that I was not happy with this arrangement version 2.6 looking 'outside' the metadata. In my opinion Audirvana should only look for the metadata... Damien argued that this solution was mandatory to solve a problem with 'Greatest Hits' albums. As having more albums with several fancy names (as this was never a criterium) than 'Greatest Hits' a lot of renaming has to be done to group the albums again.

I have also had the disappearing track issue in some views, exiting that view and going back seems to bring them back. Generally though this update has gone well and I like the new functionality, just a pity it isn't on the remote as I usually run headless (the systems that is, not me). Would it be possible to add in the ability to batch update album artists? The method described in the manual doesn't work for that field and I can't find any other way of doing it. Good work, Damien, thanks.

I was not happy with this arrangement version 2.6 looking 'outside' the metadata. In my opinion Audirvana should only look for the metadata....

+1

(+1000 if "the solution" messes up properly tagged files, as it is happening)

Damien argued that this solution was mandatory to solve a problem with 'Greatest Hits' albums. As having more albums with several fancy names (as this was never a criterium) than 'Greatest Hits' a lot of renaming has to be done to group the albums again.

never had the slightest issue with neither "Greatest Hits" or "MTV Acoustic" nor any other albums with identical title

if all tracks belonging to an album:

- are in the same folder

- have the same "Album Artist" tag

then everything works

only proper way to solve *the* issue of *poorly tagged/organized* files is... the way "another app" does it: match users files against an external, global, database and display everything accordingly to that one

headphones system:

.... I was not happy with this arrangement version 2.6 looking 'outside' the metadata. In my opinion Audirvana should only look for the metadata... QUOTE]

+1 for sure

MacMini 2018 OS 10.14 | XLD | Yate | iTunes 10.7 | Audirvana 3.5.50 | RME ADI-2 DAC fs | Bryston BHA-1 | Hifiman Arya

.... I was not happy with this arrangement version 2.6 looking 'outside' the metadata. In my opinion Audirvana should only look for the metadata... QUOTE]

+1 for sure

I think I have found a solution to these two contradictory problems, without asking you to pay a high premium to access a global external database:

Group tracks per album if:

1st case: there is at least one album artist defined

=> Use only the metadata (group tracks with same album title, and album artist(s) in their metadata)

2nd case: there is no album artist defined in the files metadata

=> Use both the album title (may be guessed from the parent folder name if also missing), and the parent folder name as criteria to group the tracks. In this case (missing album artist), the album is limited to one folder with the exception of the CD 1... suffixes folders under the same grand-parent folder.

This solves the "Greatest Hits" wrong merge issue when the album artist is missing.

The remaining caveat is that this makes the assumption an artist can't have more than one album with the same title, otherwise they get merged. So different recordings must have different album titles.

What do you think of this proposal?

If ok, I can implement it for 2.6.1 I'm going to release later today with the fixes for the few bugs that have been reported on 2.6.

Damien

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by tommy.toolman viewpost-right.png

for me since yesterday... no filter apply my library just vanished in the bottom window... usually i see all my songs listed by years :-)

but all is good in Albums view... that i use :-) no sample rates listing also

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31316[/ATTACH]

Fixed for 2.6.1

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420