IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Great post!

One quick question, to be sure we're all on the same page: You're saying you successfully ripped an SACD from your Azur 752BD? Apologies if this was answered earlier and I missed it, but the last I recall, only the Oppo 103/105 and Pioneer 160/170 had been confirmed to work.

Thanks for any clarification/confirmation you can provide!

Sorry, your question was not for me, but ripping works with 752 anyway.

The PC don't see the player now, but it works. There has been instructions, that the PC must see the player, but at least in my case, it is not necessary. If my network is on, it chooses automatically, not only the IP address, but also the port, which is different that the ISO2DSD uses and server doesn't find the player.

? Please ... a few more words on the option, the post is not clear for me.

From the description if the Option network is on, DHCP sets the address and (incorrect) port. How do you know it is the incorrect port, did you try Putty/Telnet ? If DHCP is switched off, the player has no IP address and no communications unless the IP address, Subnet, Gateway, DNS are set manually. That's what I don't understand and missing from the post. Which OS you use?

The Cambridge players follow the OPPO procedures by looks of it.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

? From the description if the Option network is on, DHCP sets the address and (incorrect) port.

Maybe to clarify something on the theoretical background: DHCP only sets the address (and gateway and DNS servers), but NOT the port. The port is requested by the appropriate server process, in this case sacd_extract. This is basic TCP/IP stuff, and nothing that could be done differently on these SACD Players than on other network devices.

Why it did suddenly work for Jarmo i have no idea, but i suspect that there has been more changes in his configuration that most probably were overlooked.

Yes, the OPPO shows the "USB IN" message. I have used the stick witht the OPPO in the past. Furthermore, I tried it with several sticks. Always the same outcome: The sticks are recognized, but the tray doesn't open automatically.

Originally I had the same problem.

Then I discovered that a .txt extension was erroneously appended to the AutoScript and AutoScript.TSS files. Do "Get Info" on those files, un-check Hide Extension, and delete the .txt extensions if they exist. (A Finder dialog will ask you to confirm.)

Also, use Disk Utility to confirm that the USB stick has only one partition. For example, be sure it does not have an EFI partition. If necessary, use Disk Utility to reformat it as DOS format, which is Apple-speak for FAT32.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

the ripping times are exactly like the PS3, i.e about 2-3mb/sec and therefore about 20 minutes or so.

On my Oppo 103, the reported speed was 2.8 MB/sec. Ripping to .iso required 17 minutes for a 65 minute SACD.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Originally I had the same problem.

Then I discovered that a .txt extension was erroneously appended to the AutoScript and AutoScript.TSS files. Do "Get Info" on those files, un-check Hide Extension, and delete the .txt extensions if they exist. (A Finder dialog will ask you to confirm.)

Also, use Disk Utility to confirm that the USB stick has only one partition. For example, be sure it does not have an EFI partition. If necessary, use Disk Utility to reformat it as DOS format, which is Apple-speak for FAT32.

There are no hidden extensions, there is just one FAT32 partition.

I'll format the stick in a Windows computer tomorrow and try it again.

Maybe to clarify something on the theoretical background: DHCP only sets the address (and gateway and DNS servers), but NOT the port. The port is requested by the appropriate server process, in this case sacd_extract. This is basic TCP/IP stuff, and nothing that could be done differently on these SACD Players than on other network devices.

Why it did suddenly work for Jarmo i have no idea, but i suspect that there has been more changes in his configuration that most probably were overlooked.

Thanks, will wait for Jarmo's reply.

Why not try the method and find out with the 650BD. Nothing can break.

I tried it last night and it did not work.

But I just read that you need to copy the folder with the files, I copied the files into the root of the USB stick. Will try again tonight.

May I suggest everyone to state their player in every post.

*Cambridge 650BD

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

Quickie question for those who's ripped SACDs successfully: Are your ISO's louder than the same RB layer ripped to FLAC? I have to turn down my volume quite a bit to play the SACD rips. FLAC and ISO are played from JRMC 21 w/ its volume maxed. Volume is controlled via analogue (I think) on my DAC.

Thanks.

-H

Another successful ripping done on an Oppo 105 in Hong Kong.

Had issue with the initial process using telnet. But once switch to using Sonore iso2dsd_PC_v9 GUI, then it works like a charm. Ripping is not like as fast as PS3 which yields a constant 2.6MB....this one on Oppo varies from 1.9MB from starting to end at about 2.2MB...a little slower.

(Audio)

Quickie question for those who's ripped SACDs successfully: Are your ISO's louder than the same RB layer ripped to FLAC? I have to turn down my volume quite a bit to play the SACD rips. FLAC and ISO are played from JRMC 21 w/ its volume maxed. Volume is controlled via analogue (I think) on my DAC.

Thanks.

-H

Another poster quoted the same checksums from PS3 to the non PS3 method, so loudness differences are perhaps in the DSD processing of your player/DAC, sumpin'.

Oppo 105 / macmini. Sorted my ethernet connection issues, & now ripping at ~2.5mb/sec, averaged. So, all good.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Guest winopener

May I suggest everyone to state their player in every post.

*Cambridge 650BD

Brand, model and firmware release are all important elements on this matter, since we're dealing with special/hidden features that can be removed at any time. If it's not too much trouble, listing all three elements it's extremely useful.

Question: sacd_extract command line tool and avoiding clicks

sacd_extract reportedly has a bug that can cause clicks or other discontinuities between tracks when converting from ISO directly to DSF.

The solution, according to much discussion over the last two years, is to:

(1) use sacd_extract to convert ISO to DFF; then

(2) use Miska's DFF2DSF tool to convert the DFF to DSF.

Step (1) remains unclear to me. Should I use the -p switch to split the ISO into multiple DFF files, or should I use the -e switch to convert the ISO to a single DFF "edit master" file? Does the first option overcome the bug in sacd_extract? The second option seems useless because Miska's DFF2DSF tool does not seem to split a single DFF file into multiple DSF files.

It is vital that the USB stick is partitioned similarily as a HD, with (at least) the first primary partition as FAT(32).

It won't work if your stick is formatted as a floppy with no MBR.

Incorrect, at least for Oppo 103D on the latest stable US firmware. My stick is ExFAT formatted (I think; will double-check tomorrow).

- JediJoker

Question: sacd_extract command line tool and avoiding clicks

sacd_extract reportedly has a bug that can cause clicks or other discontinuities between tracks when converting from ISO directly to DSF.

The solution, according to much discussion over the last two years, is to:

(1) use sacd_extract to convert ISO to DFF; then

(2) use Miska's DFF2DSF tool to convert the DFF to DSF.

Step (1) remains unclear to me. Should I use the -p switch to split the ISO into multiple DFF files, or should I use the -e switch to convert the ISO to a single DFF "edit master" file? Does the first option overcome the bug in sacd_extract? The second option seems useless because Miska's DFF2DSF tool does not seem to split a single DFF file into multiple DSF files.

Yes, there's been a few back and forths on this. I believe the latest ISO2DSD from Sonore has the amended SACD_EXTRACT.EXE that overcomes the clicking which on some DACs was very bad to some where it didn't show up EMM, PD for instance.

Yes, there's been a few back and forths on this. I believe the latest ISO2DSD from Sonore has the amended SACD_EXTRACT.EXE that overcomes the clicking which on some DACs was very bad to some where it didn't show up EMM, PD for instance.

I have used Sonore ISO2DSD v6 to convert ISO rips and have never heard any clicks on playback. Ive just installed v7 but havent used it yet. I would assume it works fine.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Computer Audiophile mobile app