IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Has anyone success with the 180??

This method wasn't tested with 180 actually. There was only assumption that it should work.

One of the reason why this method fails with 180 may be disabled "autoscript" support upon firmware build.

The other reason - syntax of CLI was changed, who knows.

To be 100% sure - some hardware hacking is needed.

Can you try another package: link ?

Script contains only autoscroll commands.

Extract Autoscript folder to USB key, insert this key into turned off player and 'turn on' your player. When player boots up completely you should see 'USB IN' text on VFD of BDP-180. Right after that scrolling text ABCDEFGHIJK should appear on the display. If this isn't happening - we should throw out BDP-180 (for now) from the list of player's that supports this ripping method.

This method wasn't tested with 180 actually. There was only assumption that it should work.

One of the reason why this method fails with 180 may be disabled "autoscript" support upon firmware build.

The other reason - syntax of CLI was changed, who knows.

To be 100% sure - some hardware hacking is needed.

Can you try another package: link ?

Script contains only autoscroll commands.

Extract Autoscript folder to USB key, insert this key into turned off player and 'turn on' your player. When player boots up completely you should see 'USB IN' text on VFD of BDP-180. Right after that scrolling text ABCDEFGHIJK should appear on the display. If this isn't happening - we should throw out BDP-180 (for now) from the list of player's that supports this ripping method.

I tried. Display shows USB IN but after that NO DISC, followed by SCN SVR. No scrolling text ABCDEFGHIJK. The 180 is new, maybe a firmware update (if available) could help. Otherwise the 180 is out I think.

Wow. As someone who has lots of SACDs and a win7 PC and Oppo 105EU on the same network, I can't wait to try this when I return home from holiday. Thanks to all involved in developing, promoting and supporting this.

For me the telnet/Putty part of this procedure is the least clear, but from feedback to date, it looks like this step may not actually be necessary, is that correct?

Right. Just as I recommended for PS3 ripping, do not do anything other than creating an ISO. You want an ISO for many reasons, not the least of which is that is the entire disc image for backup, etc. Then, using a non-spinning medium like a pc, do the extraction fr4om the ISO to stereo, multichannel DSF, etc. Don't ask the Oppo or Pioneer to spin longer than it needs. It has a short spinning life.

Excellent advice, and many thanks. With the ISO2DSD GUI, I've been ripping SACDs from my OPPO 105D since yesterday afternoon, but not outputting ISO. Doing so makes much more sense, so now I'll adopt that as my standard operating procedure.

I'm still not sure why I was unable to get the extraction going until I used ISO2DSD. The CLI method should have worked but never did. Thoughts?

Also, is there someplace I can go on the Web to read up on various DSD file formats, tagging, etc.? ted_b's SACD ripping guide is a great start but I'm finding, for example, that some DFF rips play on my Fiio DAP and some do not, while DSF files always play. I'm sure it's to do with the encoding on the disc, as the DFF rips that don't play have smaller file sizes than I'd expect. Is this also related to DST? And now I'm really in the woods!

But in the meantime, and needless to say, the folks who worked to make all of this happen have my undying gratitude!

Thankyou Ted for your excellent dedication to helping all of us with SACD's.

I am using an OPP0 105AU. The ISO extraction from the oppo works well (using the wireless adaptor that came with the machine attached to a USB port on the back of the machine). I insert a USB stick (with the autoscript folder) into one of the front ports, the player recognises the SACD, then I start the cmd file on a windows 10 machine. ISO extraction speed ~1.85.

I have only done one disc so far. The iso file size was the same as the iso via the old PS3 method. The PS3 has done around 500 sacd's for me but it is great to have another option available now.

Once again many thanks.

ps I noticed there is beta firmware upgrade available for the OPPO 103/105 since July 18 in the USA (usually a few weeks later in Australia)

Is it possible for new firmware upgrades to block this new method?

ps I noticed there is beta firmware upgrade available for the OPPO 103/105 since July 18 in the USA (usually a few weeks later in Australia)

Is it possible for new firmware upgrades to block this new method?

It is, so going forward one wants to be careful. But reports are that the beta firmware you referenced doesn't affect it. Probably will take a little while for the hole be plugged.

Yes, it is VERY possible that new firmware could block this method. Please read the firmware notes and proceed with caution (for many of these machines new firmware notes may list only special disc titles, for example, that are being resolved, but behind the scenes they are doing more). Of course in the PS3 SACD ripping world there is no wiggle room to update firmware...you'd be dead in the water if you did.

Yes, it is VERY possible that new firmware could block this method. Please read the firmware notes and proceed with caution (for many of these machines new firmware notes may list only special disc titles, for example, that are being resolved, but behind the scenes they are doing more). Of course in the PS3 SACD ripping world there is no wiggle room to update firmware...you'd be dead in the water if you did.

In the real world, release notes only list major changes. It's quite plausible that less significant changes won't be listed at all.

Perhaps if you ask Pioneer nicely, they will make original released firmwares available.

In the real world, release notes only list major changes. It's quite plausible that less significant changes won't be listed at all.

To be fair to Oppo, when they removed ISO file support from their 93/95 players by firmware update, it was listed in the changelog, although ISO support was not an advertised feature of the players.

Concerning the risk of having SACD ripping removed/prevented in future firmware, I'm not sure this will happen.

ISO file support was removed because of Blu-ray, not SACD. The pressure came from the movie industry

On the other hand, SACD-R disc support was never removed from the Oppo 93/95 by firmware update, although it is also linked to SACD ripping.

Claude

So what is the least expensive device that can be readily purchased second hand that works? I am trying to price out my used PS3 on the secondary market :)

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

For me, searching in the local markets for a PS3 that can rip an SACD is impossible. Must be a generation 1 or 2 PS3 with old firmware, although, firmware can be backdated, but at consideral cost because of shipping. And on top of that problem the local PS3 sellers cannot even read the model number on the product label.

Beter to find a Panasonic BDP-170, new or used. I just ordered a new 170 from amazon.com that ships from Japan.

That was my motivation for my post #10 on page 1.

I'm not sure what you mean here: you mentioned brands and models which have an unsupported chipset for the task at hand.

What we're looking for is any other brands/model which contain the two chipsets mentioned in the OP by Ted...

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Hikmer, I misread your question. You are not looking for a PS3 but have a PS3 and want to know what to sell it for. Even if it will rip an SACD, as a buyer, I would be more interested in a modern low cost player simply because the PS3 runs very hot and has a history of failure.

Hikmer, I misread your question. You are not looking for a PS3 but have a PS3 and want to know what to sell it for. Even if it will rip an SACD, as a buyer, I would be more interested in a modern low cost player simply because the PS3 runs very hot and has a history of failure.

I understand your point, I just want to offer my PS3 at a good price if there is someone looking for a good bargain and also want to play hacked games (the other reason for the PS3 but I don't use it for this). Also, it doesn't appear any of these pioneers are available from US retailers, correct? So it is still somewhat of a hassle to buy one...albeit buying international online isn't difficult but can be a challenge for some.

I see Amazon sells for $199.00 + $56.80 shipping

+ $0.00 estimated tax

So If I were to offer my PS3 for like $150 that's still a deal

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

So what is the least expensive device that can be readily purchased second hand that works? I am trying to price out my used PS3 on the secondary market :)

From what I can see, in North America an used oppo 103 would be the cheapest and easly available.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

Cost: Amazon (US) has used BDP-160s and 170s shipped from Japan for $230 all in.

A used Oppo 103 is very likely a better overall player, SACD ripping notwithstanding.

Hallo

Got it running with Cambridge Audio CXU.

Telnet not running, but no need to.

Thanks for all

Greetings from Germany

Great to have another confirmed machine working!

Also, a general question: Is it true that so far all the Oppo (and now Cambridge) units refuse the telnet connection, while the Pioneer 160/170 accepts it? Not an issue for SACD ripping, but just curious...

Great to have another confirmed machine working!

Also, a general question: Is it true that so far all the Oppo (and now Cambridge) units refuse the telnet connection, while the Pioneer 160/170 accepts it? Not an issue for SACD ripping, but just curious...

Now telnet on my BDP-170, might work with that othet Autoscript folder that Ted_b posted but haven't tried that one

It's not true. You just have to use another package with different script or you have to add 3 lines of code to existing script. But as i said earlier, telnet is useful only for debugging purposes. If you don't know what to do with it - forget about telnet.

It's not true. You just have to use another package with different script or you have to add 3 lines of code to existing script. But as i said earlier, telnet is useful only for debugging purposes. If you don't know what to do with it - forget about telnet.

Thanks for the info!