IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

I'm trying the Mac method and it's not working:

- OKAY: Oppo BDP-105 disk drawer opens when Autoscript USB stick is inserted

- OKAY: Java app opens and lets me choose server source and I can put in the Oppo's IP address

- OKAY: In Network Utility I can manually ping the Oppo's ID address and it works fine

- PROBLEM: When I press the "Execute" button in the Java app, nothing happens

- PROBLEM: When I try to telnet into the Oppo from Terminal, I get "connection refused"

- PROBLEM: When I go into terminal and use ping to tell it to find all detectable devices on my network, it does NOT list the OPPO's IP address, even though manual pinging of that address does work

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks for any advice or leads.

That is about the same network problem I have with the Pioneer 180. I can ping but I cannot connect. My drawer does not open when inserting the USB stick. I am on a Mac.

That is about the same network problem I have with the Pioneer 180. I can ping but I cannot connect. My drawer does not open when inserting the USB stick. I am on a Mac.

I'm not 100% sure it is a network problem, because it is working fine with all the same equipment (same Mac, same Oppo player, same SACD disc, same Airport Extreme router), via a Windows emulator app.

Also, remember, at least one other member here reported that they could not telnet in, but the SACD extraction still worked.

So what I am wondering is, might this be an OS X El Capitan problem? Remember that with 10.11 El Capitan, Apple introduced SIP, System Integrity Protection. This is a "rootless" mode in which certain system folders/directories cannot be modified, even by an admin user.

I saw online that one Mac site said you have to temporarily disable SIP in order to install Java on a Mac running El Capitan (because Java installs files in one or more of those locked/forbidden folders). I had remnants of a Java installation on my iMac, and so I downloaded the Java installer without disabling SIP, and it appeared to go fine, enabling me to launch and run the SACD app.

But now I am wondering if the Java app is unable to access all its needed files, or if perhaps some were not actually installed or properly updated, and maybe the Java app is silently failing and throwing up an error message.

I am far from certain that this is the cause, but the easy way to find out would be to disable SIP, reinstall Java, and try again. If that works, then one could re-enable SIP and try again (since SIP is supposed to impact only the installation of Java, not the use once it's installed).

Okay, I'm an idiot. :-)

I disabled SIP, rebooted, re-installed Java, and tried again with no luck.

BUT - and here's the good news - I realized that I'd moved the Java app (the .jar file) to my Applications folder but had accidentally left the actual executable - sacd_extract - in the original folder where I'd downloaded it.

Moved sacd_extract to the Applications folder, and it works like a charm now!

Guest winopener
No need to try another package, it won't work. Use the package from Maldur's post.

Guy's with BDP-180, winopener , mifare . Can you try with this package?

Tried the 160 version, still nothing.

If i had understood correctly from the pevious posts, the Autoscript routine should load a package that as "external signs of life" that is really running and kicking it should open the tray and display a scrollin ABCD... line. Neither of this does happen with BDP180, so i can presume the package isn't running at all.

One thing that may be relevant: my BDP180 has never been connected to the internet, it is used on internal LAN only that has NO gateway to the wild wild web.

Just to get my feeble brain around this before laying hands on an Oppo 103. Am I correct in understanding that this approach does not permanently modify the player in any way? It appears to load a program, probably into volatile memory in the player, then execute that program in the player when started via commands from an Ethernet-connected PC. It then delivers the rip to the same PC directory from which the rip was started. So, after rebooting the player, all traces of the ripper program are gone from the player?

I am am hot to trot after having burned out two PS3s.

Just to get my feeble brain around this before laying hands on an Oppo 103. Am I correct in understanding that this approach does not permanently modify the player in any way? It appears to load a program, probably into volatile memory in the player, then execute that program in the player when started via commands from an Ethernet-connected PC. It then delivers the rip to the same PC directory from which the rip was started. So, after rebooting the player, all traces of the ripper program are gone from the player?

I am am hot to trot after having burned out two PS3s.

My 105 is working totally normally after I ripped an SACD. When the rip was done, I opened the drawer, took out the disk, turned off the player, and then removed the USB stick. (My understanding is that you can remove the USB stick as soon as it has triggered the initial opening of the drawer, but I forgot so I just took it out afterwards.)

It would make sense that you'd have to turn the player off and back on again (as I did) to clear the effects of the USB stick autoscript program. But honestly, I don't even know for sure that the machine wouldn't play discs normally even if you didn't power cycle it first.

My 105 did not show the scrolling ABCDEFGH or whatever text - it just showed the normal "Home Screen" and "Screen Saver" messages. (I don't have it hooked up to a monitor so I don't know what a TV screen would have showed during that time).

My understanding is that the scrolling text comes from the telnet connection, which is not necessary for doing the SACD rip procedure - it only is necessary for development and debugging. In fact, I and many others have been unable to telnet into our machines (at least using Mac OS X) - we get "connection refused." But the ripping still works fine.

So... it might be that the Autoscript program simply initiates a special kind of network connection to the player, and it might be that you can still play any disc using the Oppo remote even when the Autoscript is in effect. I don't know - I haven't tried it yet. Anyone else?

Also, does anyone have a comprehensive list of the flags in the Windows cmd version? I'd love to have granular control over whether I rip the entire SACD, 2-track or multi-track only, ISO format vs DSF, CUE file, etc. Thanks!

Once you have the raw SACD.ISO, you can extract multi-channel (if available on the SACD of course), make DSF, cue files and so on with the ISO2DSD utility from Sonore which works quite well.

The ISO2DSD only takes a few minutes (on a Xeon PC) to extract stereo DSF from the ISO. Then use MP3tag to clean up the metadata for DSF. It's a bit of work, but now worth it to directly transfer DSD files to some of the newer portable players without having to convert to PCM or listen directly at home for those that have that luxury.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Once you have the raw SACD.ISO, you can extract multi-channel (if available on the SACD of course), make DSF, cue files and so on with the ISO2DSD utility from Sonore which works quite well.

The ISO2DSD only takes a few minutes (on a Xeon PC) to extract stereo DSF from the ISO. Then use MP3tag to clean up the metadata for DSF. It's a bit of work, but now worth it to directly transfer DSD files to some of the newer portable players without having to convert to PCM or listen directly at home for those that have that luxury.

Right. Just as I recommended for PS3 ripping, do not do anything other than creating an ISO. You want an ISO for many reasons, not the least of which is that is the entire disc image for backup, etc. Then, using a non-spinning medium like a pc, do the extraction fr4om the ISO to stereo, multichannel DSF, etc. Don't ask the Oppo or Pioneer to spin longer than it needs. It has a short spinning life.

Ok my first pass didn't work, but every instruction I read is every so slightly different...

So how many folders and FILES need to be on the USB drive. Can someone specify the exact folder and file names? One person says you only need one folder, another says you need two folders...then another instruction says copy the folder with two files...the download folder of AutoScript has THREE files AutoScript, AutoScript.TSS and sacd_extract_160

Are all these files needed? My drawer on my 105 opens when inserted but I cannot telnet to the IP nor can I connect when I run the extractor (I have a PS3 so I am familiar with the concepts).

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

Ok my first pass didn't work, but every instruction I read is every so slightly different...

So how many folders and FILES need to be on the USB drive. Can someone specify the exact folder and file names? One person says you only need one folder, another says you need two folders...then another instruction says copy the folder with two files...the download folder of AutoScript has THREE files AutoScript, AutoScript.TSS and sacd_extract_160

Are all these files needed? My drawer on my 105 opens when inserted but I cannot telnet to the IP nor can I connect when I run the extractor (I have a PS3 so I am familiar with the concepts).

I just re-downloaded the original files posted in this forum (all three in one folder AutoScript has THREE files AutoScript, AutoScript.TSS and sacd_extract) then used the GUI interface Sonore APPS - ISO2DSD and it is ripping! No more PS3!!!

Oh and I turned off autoplay and auto resume...might have been a deal breaker...no idea

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

Success with Oppo BDP-105! Oppo-supplied wireless dongle was plugged into the back for network access. Telnet did not work (connection refused) but the ripping is working perfectly.

I love the way my Oppo can remain downstairs while the PC receives the ripped ISO file upstairs!

This is really awesome! Thanks a bundle!

Anyone try on BDP-103D and 105D as well? Because I cannot find new stock 103 and 105 here.

103D - Yes! [And it's one with the e-bay seller "gradedexchange" multi-region 'hack'.]

Using it together with ISO2DSD on a Mac to extract Raw Iso.

No telnet needed.

I just put the USB stick in the Oppo, loaded a SACD and ran ISO2DSD on the Mac using "Server Input".

Seems to extract slightly slower than my PS3, 2.2MB/sec vs 2.6MB/sec.

But who cares, it's extracting :-)

No success with the Pioneer 180 so far. I tried the various autoscript folders. I tried Mac OS X Yosemite as well. Tray refuses to open when inserting USB stick. I can ping the 180 but a network connection to the 180 from the Mac seems impossible.

Has anyone success with the 180??

It is straight forward with Oppo 103D with Window 10 desktop computer. Only put in the correct IP address in sacd.cmd. Just insert USB tray opens put in SACD. Then hit sacd.cmd and ripping starts. About 2-3m/s as mentioned by Ted about same speed as PS2.

The most important thing is the sound quality of the ripped file is much better than that from PS2. I have compared the same SACD ripped with PS2 and the Oppo 103D. There is much better dynamics, detail and clarity and layering with Oppo 103D compared with the PS2 rip(which has a character of old style Sony drive with blurred mid range and artificial warmth and airiness). Now you can hear all the details and rich timbre of SACD even at a low volume. Much improved dynamics as if it is a new recording.

Thanks to Ted and all concerned.

The most important thing is the sound quality of the ripped file is much better than that from PS2. I have compared the same SACD ripped with PS2 and the Oppo 103D. There is much better dynamics, detail and clarity and layering with Oppo 103D compared with the PS2 rip(which has a character of old style Sony drive with blurred mid range and artificial warmth and airiness). Now you can hear all the details and rich timbre of SACD even at a low volume. Much improved dynamics as if it is a new recording.

This makes no sense. The copy of the disc should be bit-perfect whether ripping from *PS3 or 103D or any other transport. I would suggest placebo effect or confirmation bias is at play. Try a null test using the two rips to confirm what you're hearing is real and not imagined.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

- JediJoker