IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Shenzhenaudio - their website does not include Pioneer unfortunately. I am based in Shenzhen close to Hong Kong. I contacted several HK shops with a listing of the BDP-170 on their website, but all seem to be out of stock. I contacted an eBay seller in the UK - no reply yet (listed as BDP-170, but all details are for the 160)

- where in China?

Thank you:)

There are plenty at taobao.com website (equivalent to Ebay in China), but please be aware that those sold in China are Region C players or with a modded firmware. So it may only be used to rip SACD, but won't be a useful BD player.

Could someone please confirm if this works on Pioneer BDP LX58? So far i only see success on Oppo and CA, and Pioneer 160 and 170. Thanks

I've tried it on a BDP-LX88 which is the luxurious version of the BDP-LX58. Does not work. USB stick is recognised, but tray does not open, and sacd_extract is not able to contact the player.

I've tried it on a BDP-LX88 which is the luxurious version of the BDP-LX58. Does not work. USB stick is recognised, but tray does not open, and sacd_extract is not able to contact the player.

I tried BDP LX58 and also doesn't eject like you. seems like Pioneer LX88 and LX58 should be taken off the list?

Ok, I have ripped several SACD's, both 2 Channel and Multi Channel and all work great playing through Jriver Media Center to my Yamaha RX-A3040. Today I ripped the Audio Fidelity SACD "The Best Of The Doors". The 2CH DSF files play great, The 4CH DSF files (Quad Mix), which shows up in DbPoweramp info as 5.0 Channels instead of 5.1 will only play in 2CH on Jriver, JRiver is set to play the Source Number Of Channels. Anybody having issues with playback of Audio Fidelity 4 Channel SACD Files ?

This one works too!

I purchased a Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD and successfully ripped my first SACD with it. This is a good option for a lower cost player available in the US. I was able to find an Amazon warehouse deal for a "used" one under $150, though there are none that low at the moment. It will be nice not to have to worry about my PS3 which seems to die once a year.

Thanks for this, just placed an order for the BDP-80FD!

I really wanted an Oppo (ideally the BDP-105D) but I admitted to myself I don't really foresee watching a ton of Blu-Ray movies, or having any other big need for this machine besides ripping a few hundred SACDs, so hoping this Pioneer will suffice!

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

The 4CH DSF files (Quad Mix), which shows up in DbPoweramp info as 5.0 Channels instead of 5.1 will only play in 2CH on Jriver, JRiver is set to play the Source Number Of Channels. Anybody having issues with playback of Audio Fidelity 4 Channel SACD Files ?
I have JRiver set to output 5.1 for all sources to eliminate such channel issues.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I have JRiver set to output 5.1 for all sources to eliminate such channel issues.

I have tried this, but this is not true Discrete 5.1 and it does it to everything, 2CH included. The source is a 4.0 CH DSF, (or as DbPowerAmp reports it as being 5.0 CH and being set to play source channels, Jriver should see it properly as it does 5.1 files you would think.

I'd recommend keeping the ISO files (though you could, of course, re-rip) as every extraction to DSF, DFF and such is not reversible.

If you ever want to burn a disc you would need the ISO.

Audirvana+ can read and play from the ISO directly, though sometimes the metadata on the disc is incomplete/wrong, and then Audirvana won't show the tracks correctly either.

For other applications that can't play straight from the ISO, I recommend converting to DSF (and then to FLAC, ALAC etc.) if said application can't handle DSF. Oh, and use a tag editor like YATE or MP3TAG to fix the metadata, it usually can do with a bit of cleaning-up...

Has anybody running the new beta on an Oppo successfully ripped a disc? Someone said it allegedly works, but I'd like to hear first hand. That beta has a couple important fixes for me.

Great question.

My successful rips were with BDP10X-80-1031, the latest official release.

Would be great to confirm success on the beta BDP10X-83-0715B.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Yes, the Volume Level of -1.0 compared to +5.1 is a weird one. DR is much the same, but the peaks are lower for the SACD rip, don't quite follow this.

Either:

Jriver's tool is wrong

The SACD is recorded too hot (high)

DoP issue? (....maybe, bit of a stretch)

You can't do a checksum, since ALAC and the ISO are different. Can you extract a DSF and compare the same to the ALAC?

I'm not an expert on this at all, so the following link may not be relevant, but Roon

has a specific setting when doing DSD to PCM where it has a 6db gain - could this be a similar issue?

Nick

I have tried this, but this is not true Discrete 5.1 and it does it to everything, 2CH included. The source is a 4.0 CH DSF, (or as DbPowerAmp reports it as being 5.0 CH and being set to play source channels, Jriver should see it properly as it does 5.1 files you would think.
It just fills the empty channels with silence. If I set output to 5.1, 2.0 plays as stereo, 4.0 plays as quad, 5.0 plays as 5.0 and, of course, 5.1.....................................................

Of course, JRiver and your DAC will indicate 5.1 but the number of channels of sound is unchanged.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

It just fills the empty channels with silence. If I set output to 5.1, 2.0 plays as stereo, 4.0 plays as quad, 5.0 plays as 5.0 and, of course, 5.1............................................... ......

Of course, JRiver and your DAC will indicate 5.1 but the number of channels of sound is unchanged.

That has not been my experience, when I turn on Output to 5.1, I am getting music out or the surround channels despite the fact that it is a 2 channel source. When I choose Source Number of Channels it works perfect at detecting the number of channels to play, Just not with this particular set of DSF files. The disc was set up to re-create the original Quadraphonic recording of Best of the The Doors album from 1973. Technically it should be a 4.0 channel recording, not utilizing the center channel or the sub. If I use DBPower amp file information, it reports it as being a 5.0 channel recording, not sure what the 5th channel would be. Jriver plays this particular file in 2CH even tough I have 5 lights on on the receiver, If I switch Jriver to force 5.1 playback, it will play in 5.1, but it is not a 5.1 recording. If I set to play in 4CH mode in Jriver, it continues to only play 2 channels, and the issue is that I do not hear any missing information. I think there is something substantially different on these Audio Fidelity SACD's that are recreating old 4 Channel mixes. I think I ran into this on the Pink Floyd Immersion Box Sets as well, I could not get Jriver to play the Quad Mix of Wish You Were Here properly either, the 5.1 Mix no problem. At this point, I am not sure where the problem lies.

Has anybody running the new beta on an Oppo successfully ripped a disc? Someone said it allegedly works, but I'd like to hear first hand. That beta has a couple important fixes for me.

I just updated my Oppo 105 to beta BDP10X-83-0715B firmware and successfully ripped another SACD to ISO, so this beta firmware does not block the ripping.

There are plenty at taobao.com website (equivalent to Ebay in China), but please be aware that those sold in China are Region C players or with a modded firmware. So it may only be used to rip SACD, but won't be a useful BD player.

I have been warned by locals - in China - that there are many rip-offs. A safer bet is therefore JD.COM - Chinese only.

Just found this thread today.

I have an Oppo 83 and use a decent surround processor so a OPPO BDT-101CI will do me just fine as a replacement I believe.

Will the 101 work regarding ripping SACDs?

I have read the complete thread and not found any reference to the 101

Thanks,

Terry

Will the 101 work regarding ripping SACDs?

Probably not.

According this page, the Oppo 101 has a Mediatek MT8555 chip

Pete's Write: OPPO BDT-101Ci review

So far ripping has only been done with players using the Mediatek MT8580 or MT8560.

Anyway, having one of those two chips is no guarantee ripping will work, as the Pioneer 180 has shown.

So I would only get a player which has been confirmed to work.

Claude

It just fills the empty channels with silence. If I set output to 5.1, 2.0 plays as stereo, 4.0 plays as quad, 5.0 plays as 5.0 and, of course, 5.1.....................................................

I ripped this disc today, and noted that the ISO2DSD log reports it as 5.0 channels, so the error may well be on the disc itself. Here are the relevant lines from the log

"Version: 1.20

Track Count: 11

Speaker config: 5 Channel

Track list [1]: ......"