IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Hi Gregavi,

When I used ISO2DSD to convert the ISO to DSF the tag info was included in the new dsf file. I then just used MP3Tag to add album artwork and clean the tags up a bit. Only 2 of my discs didn't have any tag info included in the conversion....Talk Talk (Color of Spring and The Sprit of Eden).

Tagging DSF files is simple and can be done now with most tagging software (I like MP3TAG).  Also, Bogi's workflow called ISO2DSF tags the files from the cue sheet it creates (temporarily) when looking at the ISOs table of contents info.   Sonore's ISO2DSD does similarly, so if there is decent metadata in the ISO it will find it.  However, this is hit or miss with many ISOs, as well as messy things like all caps that need to be cleaned up with tagging tools, regardless.

Net/net, I would take the folder to MP3tag, look up via Album title and 90+% of the time one of MP3Tags databases (Amazon, freedb, etc) will find it.

14 hours ago, Gregavi said:

Thanks synfreak, I used sonore as you suggested to make dsf files and then Foobar 2000 to add tag info to the dsf files. Foobar finds tag info via freedb but when I open one of the  dsf files in a tag editor, there is no tag info. 

How are you adding tag info to the dsf file, or are you tagging the file before converting the iso file?

BTW, with the sonore I am choosing Sony DSF as the Output Mode and not checking the "Convert DST to DSD". Is this the right or wrong setting(s)?

Hi!

First:

Usually you should check the "Convert DST to DSD" box, as you usually don't want to have compressed data in your extracted files.

As mentioned above, *.dsf files can't contain DST compressed data anyway.

As for the tagging:

I also use Foobar for tagging - and playing - all of my files (including *.dsf and *.dff).

Not every tag editor may be able to handle the tags in *.dsf files, but i.e. "mp3tag" can.

But as long as you are using Foobar - and you are fine with its handling - there should/would be no need for an external tag editor.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

12 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

sacd_extract to extract an ISO

import to JRiver

PUSH PLAY. 

JRiver extracts on the fly. 

Yes, but ISOs are not taggable, at least not in JRiver.  That is why many prefer the extra step to extract from ISO to DSF.  Best to do that extract on the PC after the ISO has been ripped to the PC.

Came across an issue ripping the DG box set of von Karajan's 1962 Beethoven cycle.  Apparently, on disc 3, Symphony  #5 tracks 3 & 4 are both "Allegro".  Disc 5 Symphony #9, tracks 4 & 5 are both "Presto"

looks like iso2dsd didn't create or save the second example in each instance

any way around this?

As I've mentioned in the past, always rip multi-discs in this way:

1) rip first disc then store and rename (say "1962...disc 1")

2) rip next disc and rename ("disc 2"), and so on.

Whatever you do don't simply rip box sets on a USB drive and hope they get named differently.

This keeps SACD-extract from either writing over or putting its own nomenclature on the ISO name, which can be either confusing or worst case deleting.

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

As I've mentioned in the past, always rip multi-discs in this way:

1) rip first disc then store and rename (say "1962...disc 1")

2) rip next disc and rename ("disc 2"), and so on.

Whatever you do don't simply rip box sets on a USB drive and hope they get named differently.

This keeps SACD-extract from either writing over or putting its own nomenclature on the ISO name, which can be either confusing or worst case deleting.

Agreed but let me add one more trick.  I always rip multidisc sets from the last disc to the first because the automatically-derived name is, often, numbered "1/1" for every one of them.  That way, each new rip cannot over-write the true "1/1."  Not necessary but makes me more comfortable.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

The issue isn't really that it's a multi-disc set;  I did rip them individually and moved them into individual folders to keep the iso files separated, as they all generated with the same iso file name. 

It's the naming convention within the individual discs.  Disc 3 has two sequential tracks named "Presto" and disc 5 has two sequential tracks named "Allegro". 

2 hours ago, beancounter said:

Came across an issue ripping the DG box set of von Karajan's 1962 Beethoven cycle.  Apparently, on disc 3, Symphony  #5 tracks 3 & 4 are both "Allegro".  Disc 5 Symphony #9, tracks 4 & 5 are both "Presto"

looks like iso2dsd didn't create or save the second example in each instance

any way around this?

Huh.  Are you using Windows?  I would have thought that they would have come out Allegro and Allegro (1) in the disc 3 folder and Presto and Presto (1) in the disc 5 folder.  That should have been automatic in Windows, I thought.

I have not encountered this at the track level, to my knowledge.  But, that is what happens to folder names when ripping multiple discs in a set where resulting folder names would be the same.  Obviously, Windows cannot have two folders or files in the same directory with the same name, so it adds the (1), (2), etc. automatically to the second or higher occurrence, as has been my experience.

Haven't encountered this kind of problem either - up to now.

Usually the extraction adds a tracknumber and name to the file?

I also do own the mentioned discs (the complete set), but haven't ripped/extracted it up to now, as I also have a/the remaster as PCM files.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

17 minutes ago, Synfreak said:

Haven't encountered this kind of problem either - up to now.

Usually the extraction adds a tracknumber and name to the file?

I also do own the mentioned discs (the complete set), but haven't ripped/extracted it up to now, as I also have a/the remaster as PCM files.

You are correct.  My earlier post was not correct about DSF track files resulting from the extract.  I checked my library, and each track file extract seems to have the track number prefixed to the track name from the metadata on the disc.

Looking at my library, I have had some older SACDs with no metadata, so each track on the disc has the name Unknown Artist.  But, the result of the extract yielded the following track file names in the album folder:

01_Unknown Artist

02_Unknown Artist

etc.

It is only for duplicate album folder names that Windows adds the (1), (2), etc. to the end of the album folder name.

I have been using Sonore for the extracts.  But, I got the same result using old SACD_extract in batch mode from the command line.

Need a little help. This is my first post at CA. Not a computer expert.

Using an Oppo BDP105. Downloaded the Sonore ISO2DSD. Prepared the USB stick. Inserting stick opens Oppo as it is supposed to. Entered Oppo IP address into ISO2DSD. Click execute and the "failed to connect libsacdread: Can't open for reading" warning pops up.

The instructions say this has to do with the AutoScript file. Not sure I understand how to make AutoScript file. I just named a folder AutoScript and placed the Auto Script, Auto Script.tss, and sacd_extract in it. Is this correct or is there more involved?

Another question is port (says 2002). The program inserted this automatically. I have the Oppo and W7 laptop plugged into the router via ethernet cables. Is it possible this needs to be a number besides 2002?

I am so close to ripping SACDs! Thanks for your help.

You need to carefully follow all the instructions which mention that you can't just copy the files, you need to edit the sacd.cmd file on the USB stick to put the IP address of your player in there.  Otherwise, your computer won't know where/how to contact your player.

Also make sure you can ping the player from your computer that you are going to do the rip from, by the IP address that you put in the sacd.cmd file on the USB stick.

Cheers,

Matt.

37 minutes ago, mutant_matt said:

You need to carefully follow all the instructions which mention that you can't just copy the files, you need to edit the sacd.cmd file on the USB stick to put the IP address of your player in there.  Otherwise, your computer won't know where/how to contact your player.

This is not part of the process when using ISO2DSD. No editing of the files on the stick is necessary.

- JediJoker

Doh, sorry - I didn't read the question correctly.  I've not used ISO2DSD myself, is there a port option along with the IP address in ISO2DSD?  Regardless, for all of the utils that connect to the player:

It sounds like the player is not "listening" on the IP address/port, or there is a connectivity problem.  To try and diagnose, try pinging the player first (from the command line/command shell (Mac/Linux), Command Prompt/cmd.exe (Windows)):

ping <IP_address_of_player>

e.g. ping 192.168.1.50

If that works (you get a response like):

PING 192.168.1.50 (192.168.1.50) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.1.50: icmp_seq=1 ttl=58 time=6.19 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.50: icmp_seq=2 ttl=58 time=6.21 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.50: icmp_seq=3 ttl=58 time=6.35 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.50: icmp_seq=3 ttl=58 time=6.35 ms

If it doesn't work (you get a response like):

PING 192.168.1.50 (192.168.1.50) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.1.50 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.50 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.50 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable

From 192.168.1.50 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable

If you can ping then try a telnet test:

telnet <IP_address_of_player> 2002

e.g. telnet 192.168.1.50 2002

(note the single space between the end of the IP address and the start of the port, it's important)

If it doesn't work (you get a response like):

Trying 192.168.1.50...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

(you'll get this if the player isn't "listening", you can prove this with it off)

If it works (you get a response like):

Trying 192.168.1.50...
Connected to 192.168.1.50.
Escape character is '^]'.

If you can ping and telnet, then the player is listening ok and your computer can connect to it ok.  If all these are true then sacd_extract and ISO2DSD should be able to also connect and do their thing.

I don't think you can change the port used (it's hardcoded into the binary that runs on the player), so as long as you target port 2002, on the correct IP address, and you have connectivity, it should work.

HTH!

Matt :)

On 12/11/2017 at 8:52 PM, Barondla said:

Need a little help. This is my first post at CA. Not a computer expert.

Using an Oppo BDP105. Downloaded the Sonore ISO2DSD. Prepared the USB stick. Inserting stick opens Oppo as it is supposed to. Entered Oppo IP address into ISO2DSD. Click execute and the "failed to connect libsacdread: Can't open for reading" warning pops up.

The instructions say this has to do with the AutoScript file. Not sure I understand how to make AutoScript file. I just named a folder AutoScript and placed the Auto Script, Auto Script.tss, and sacd_extract in it. Is this correct or is there more involved?

Another question is port (says 2002). The program inserted this automatically. I have the Oppo and W7 laptop plugged into the router via ethernet cables. Is it possible this needs to be a number besides 2002?

I am so close to ripping SACDs! Thanks for your help.

I just got my Pioneer player today and got the same results as you did to start. I poked around a little bit and discovered I was using the AutoScript file for the Oppo instead of the Pioneer. Switching to the correct AutoScript file fixed the problem immediately. Any chance you’ve done the same thing in reverse?

Yes.  I tried using this (which was designed for the chipset in a CA 752BD) in my CA 751BD and whilst it looked like it was working (the messages on the screen and the opening of the tray), it never did "listen" on port 2002, so I was unable to do the ripping.

So, if you can confirm it's listening or not (my my above port testing), you'll know there is a problem with something to do with the files on the USB stick (or in some people's cases, the stick itself).  Indeed, one of the things that could be "wrong" is the files don't match the player.

HTH!

Matt.