IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Holy crap! I tried wi-fi and the tray opened.

Now I'm ripping my first SACD.

Wi-fi is the key but may I be so humble to ask is there a way to do this via ethernet? This will take forever via my crappy wi-fi service, (0.1 MB/sec) After 20 minutes I'm 6 percent done.

Thanks for the help, tonyo and to those I PM'd earlier in this process.

Dave-

Glad that worked out for you.

The WiFi bandwidth isn’t the limiting factor; it’s the decoding the sacd_extract.exe performs. Even if you had your sacd image local, it’ll take a bit to get through. 

2 hours ago, Mook said:

Tonyo, thanks for your reply.

I am trying to do this via Ethernet not Wi-Fi. I did look at my wi-fi option and WPS is not one of my selections. The only choices are WPA and WEP.

I have disabled autoplay in setup, There is no autoresume that I can find.

I'm on my third USB thumbdrive and still no luck.

I'm using the same instructions you've put into your post.

When I fornat the USB drive there are options for "Allocation File Size". These are:

Default Allocation Size

4096 bytes

8192 bytes

16 kilobytes

32 kilobytes

64 kilobyes

I'm not sure these have an impact but it is possible,

It's also possible there's a setting on the Pioneer that's not correct.

When I power up the USB stick does flash and the Pioneer create a folder called "BUDA" on the thumbdrive. I'm not sure what that means or does.

When I power up I see in the display:

PIONEER

HELLO

NO DISC

USB IN

NO DISC

The unit does nothing after that.

I have the proper files in the Autoscript folder:

AutoScript

AutoScript.TSS

sacd_extract_160

There is also a hidden folder:

System Volume Information

I'm using Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

I'm stumped.

Dave-

I see you got this going but a couple of points:

- allocation at 4096 should be default but don't think it will matter

- those are the correct script files and because it creates the BUDA folder the Pineer is seeing and acting on the thumb drive and script

- I assume your Pioneer now opens up right?

And for follow-up questions, if your Ethernet and wifi are properly configured, both should work but Ethernet should be much faster. Now that you have it going, shut down wifi and make sure you have proper Ethernet connection within your lan, with DLNA items appearing in windows networking, and double check you have internet connectivity. Should work (LOL).

Did you use the iso2dsd_gui program? Way to go if you need to do lots.

tonyo123

@HiREzGuy, thanks for that info but 2 hours and 29 minutes to rip the Bangles Greatest Hits (2ch only) seems a tad bit long.

Is there any way to speed that up?

Dave-

@Tonyo,

I've used ethernet for just about everything rarely using wi-fi. My wi-fi is poor. I have 18 devices hooked up via ether and have no issue with any of them. I'm really not sure why the ethernet doesn't work for this task. I see the 80FD on my network but, as I said, if the tray doesn't open it doesn't matter.

I didn't use the iso2dsd gui I used command line entries.  Now that I've got it working I can try some other things.

Dave-

@mook @t123

Rip an iso. Then use that to play through JRiver or foobar or some other media player. 

Or use the iso to rip dsf files. Then use your oppo or pioneer or denon to play those. 

Don’t go over ether or WiFi to go from sacd to dsf. Anyway - do it in two steps and there will be some slight savings (e.g., bis-Beethoven-no9-vanska 5ch ~ 55min for dsf extraction local hd; mfsl-Gershwin-slatkin-6ch ~ 70min for dsf extraction local hd).

@HRG, I use DSF files playable as you said on my Denon / Oppo / Pioneer / Dune.

Problem for me at the time (and it's not really a "problem") is the amount of time to rip. My latest rip is Love & Theft / Dylan. Four hours so far and 96% done, 

I've read where others are getting these rips done in much less time. I'm just trying to see if I have an issue or is that just the way things are.

On this rip I used the iso2dsd gui and it creates DSF files. The command line entries create an ISO and that seems to be quicker.

What specific method are you using to create ISOs so quickly?

Dave-

Mook, do you mean extract, as "ripping" is the process that is done on your Pioneer/Oppo bluray player (subject of this thread) and results in an ISO.  Then take that ISO and, on your local computer, extract either stereo or multichannel DSF files (should take approx 5-7 minutes per album to extract DSF files from an ISO on a Mac or pc, whether you use Sonore's ISO2DSD or Bogi's ISO2DSF workflow.)  Don't ask these fragile spinning universal players to do any more than they need to do: rip an ISO, period.  I sense you are doing something wrong in the workflow, as any more than 5-8 minutes per ISO to DSF is a huge red flag.

Hi ted, I may be confused. Obviously I am. :D Rip is probably an incorrect word in this case.

My first attempt using the command line entries created an ISO on my pc in the folder I created in the root of the C drive per the instructions. That took over 2 hours.

I took that ISO and created DSF files from that. No problem there.

Why is it taking over two hours to create the ISO?

What is that a function of? Is it wi-fi speed related? Network related?

That's the only question I have. I can create the ISO but it there is obviously something I am doing wrong. Forget the DSF part. I know how to do that. ISO creation is my real issue.

Any light you can shed is appreciated.

I'm off tonight. I'll read any replies tomorrow.

Thanks to those trying to help me.

Dave-

Mook, I am so sorry that I cannot repond directly, as I do not use the Oppo/Pio bluray approach (I only tried to make folks aware of it initially to advertise it as a new/better option for most).  I still rip via the PS3, and have waited with bated breath for the supposed generic LAN drive to make the light of day.  No word, and it's kind of late now, as most are finding these bluray solutions to be just fine.

A wild assumption would be that wifi is a culprit, but not the only one, as 2 hours is like 5 times my PS3 local rip average (25 minutes)!  And I think the same is said for most of these bluray rips (i.e around 2.5-2.8 megs/sec rip speed).  Wifi can't be that big of bottleneck by itself.  Right?

@mook

- Do you see those iso creation times for all sacds? Hopefully not bc it would likely mean a bad laser or something.

- It could be a problem sacd too - I’m sure you’ve had a cd take a while to rip with eac or something. 

- other network activity? Clear the counter and make sure it’s just sacd traffic coming in - the counter should match the file system. 

- other process activity - like win update, something thrashing the hd?

I’d start with that kind of stuff. My dsf extraction times are on a pair of ASUS labtops upgraded from Win8 to 10 - I use them for cd and sacd ripping - that’s why I batch it all. For about 60-70mins of audio I get about 11min extract time for 2ch, and 40-50min for 5ch, abt 15-20% longer for 6ch. 

So, an shm-sacd 2ch DGG-Sibelius-Karajan-Finalndia ~ 40min 1.3gb iso is much less time to rip than 5gb iso single-layer mch DGG-Bernstein-WSS-Kanawa. 

Anyway - 2 hours is thrashing Mook. 

I’ll pull my logs and make a report w my specs that shows times that I see when I can. 

@AudioInventory

AuI Converter Producer is nice software. It can convert iso or 64fs dsf  to wav64/768 or 32/384 flac, as examples. 

JriverMC and foobar2000 use a map to get sample rates over 192. foobar2k requires the sacd add-in and the dsf/dff add-in. dbPowerAmp does dsf to 352.8 with an add-in. 

(Sorry about the font on the last post - iPhone notes update & very short computeraudiophile.com edit time.)

Thanks for the input.

2 Hours is a long time. I'm just concentrating on creating ISOs from the SACDs using the Command Line Interface.

Later today I'll try ether once again.

This a.m. my throughput wi-fi was .08. Now it's .25. Nothing should be running on my wi-fi but that. Everything else is on the ethernet side. It's only my wife and myself using the network. I'll plug away and see what I can do. If I can connect via ethernet I'll try and swap some cables.

Obviously I'm happy I can create SACD ISOs at all!

Dave-

PS to HRG. All SACDs copy at the same speed. So it can't be bad discs. Not sure how I tell if it's a bum laser.

SUCCESS!

The issue was my network speed. I finally got the process to run via ethernet rather than wifi.

Result:

Wifi - 2 GB Hybrid MFSL SACD - 2+ hours to create ISO

Ether - 3 GB Hybrid MFSL SACD - 18 minutes to create ISO

I am beyond satisfied!

MANY thanks to all those who offered suggestions.

Dave-

Thanks for your suggestions, Tony. I appreciate it. Not sure how many I have left but it's a relief this process is faster. :)

Now I can continue with a satisfied mind.

Dave-

Thanks but all I did was get it started, really.  The vast majority of value here are the actual experiences and scripts/files that early adopters used and documented. 

I ripped our entire SACD library (around 400) with an OPPO 105. Piece of cake (sort of). We are thinking of upgrading to an OPPO 205. Does anyone has experience ripping SACD's with the OPPO 205.

Although for now I am done SACD ripping, I want to be sure to able to rip again.

2 minutes ago, B&WQuad said:

I ripped our entire SACD library (around 400) with an OPPO 105. Piece of cake (sort of). We are thinking of upgrading to an OPPO 205. Does anyone has experience ripping SACD's with the OPPO 205.

Although for now I am done SACD ripping, I want to be sure to able to rip again.

The Oppo 20x series players use a newer SOC that doesn't work with this SACD ripping process.  It's always possible that a similar trick will be discovered, but I wouldn't plan on it.  So hold onto your 105 (or sell it and get a 103) if you get a 205.

Hi, I have been following this thread for several months and I am finally ready to jump in and start ripping my SACDs. My first step is to purchase one of the players that are capable of the ripping process. My question is: how do I know if the player has the original firmware? From what I have read here and other forums, the player cannot have had a firmware update in order for the process to work. Is this true and how do I know before purchasing the player if it has updated firmware?

Also, is anybody converting the iso or DSF files to FLAC? That is my plan unless there's a reason not to.

Thanks in advance.

Gregavi,

Welcome to CA.  The firmware issue is paramount when discussing the early SACD-capable Sony PS3s but this Oppo/Pioneer discovery typically doesn't have firmware as a hurdle.  I'll let experienced folks chime in, but the bigger issue is to make sure you get the right model number (Oppo 10x anything or certain Pioneers and their OEMs).