IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

12 hours ago, Linefader said:

Can someone confirm that the multichannel version of Kraftwerk's Autobahn (from the Minimum Maximum SACD) has an audible dropout around 07:20 (not present in the stereo version)

I've listened to both versions ("International" and "German"), and couldn't find a dropout.

Maybe a re-extraction might help?

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

On 12/12/2017 at 4:53 AM, mutant_matt said:

Doh, sorry - I didn't read the question correctly.  I've not used ISO2DSD myself, is there a port option along with the IP address in ISO2DSD?  Regardless, for all of the utils that connect to the player:

It sounds like the player is not "listening" on the IP address/port, or there is a connectivity problem.  To try and diagnose, try pinging the player first (from the command line/command shell (Mac/Linux), Command Prompt/cmd.exe (Windows)):

ping <IP_address_of_player>

e.g. ping 192.168.1.50

If that works (you get a response like):

PING 192.168.1.50 (192.168.1.50) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.1.50: icmp_seq=1 ttl=58 time=6.19 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.50: icmp_seq=2 ttl=58 time=6.21 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.50: icmp_seq=3 ttl=58 time=6.35 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.50: icmp_seq=3 ttl=58 time=6.35 ms

If it doesn't work (you get a response like):

PING 192.168.1.50 (192.168.1.50) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.1.50 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.50 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.50 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable

From 192.168.1.50 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable

If you can ping then try a telnet test:

telnet <IP_address_of_player> 2002

e.g. telnet 192.168.1.50 2002

(note the single space between the end of the IP address and the start of the port, it's important)

If it doesn't work (you get a response like):

Trying 192.168.1.50...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

(you'll get this if the player isn't "listening", you can prove this with it off)

If it works (you get a response like):

Trying 192.168.1.50...
Connected to 192.168.1.50.
Escape character is '^]'.

If you can ping and telnet, then the player is listening ok and your computer can connect to it ok.  If all these are true then sacd_extract and ISO2DSD should be able to also connect and do their thing.

I don't think you can change the port used (it's hardcoded into the binary that runs on the player), so as long as you target port 2002, on the correct IP address, and you have connectivity, it should work.

HTH!

Matt :)

I know little about computers. Searched to figure out how to use the Command Prompt feature. Figured it out. As Matt suggested the computer isn't connecting to the Oppo. I get the destination unreachable message. But the IP adress 11.1.0.6 is changed to 11.1.0.8! In Matt's example the error message included the same exact IP address that was originally typed in. So a few questions.

1. The Oppo has only been used wireless. I got the IP address while in wireless WiFi mode. Does the IP address change if plugged into the same Net Gear Nighthawk AC3200 wireless WiFi router via ethernet cable? Should I drag a monitor into the room and look for the IP address while hooked via ethernet cable?

2. Do all network settings (password etc.) transfer to wired mode or does it all have to be set up again while wired?

3. Oppo has a place in menu to set wired or wireless network. I changed it to wired. That's correct?

Never have any trouble hooking Oppo wirelessly to network.

Thanks for your help.

6 hours ago, wrxified said:

Major kudos to everyone involved in putting this thread together and Sonore for creating ISO2DSD.

I'm sure media providers cringe at the thought of this software being available but I will say the moment I found this process and realized it could be used with my Oppo 103, my SACD collection shot up from 3 albums to 21 albums in 2 weeks.  All of a sudden I get all the glorious benefits of these wonderful albums with the convenience and technology of my FLAC collection.  And I can actually benefit even more with my A&K Kann and it's DSD capabilities.  

So awesome.

Maybe that's one of the reasons the SACD format pretty much died. Once people stopped spinning discs and ripping their CDs, the SACD format got less desirable. Maybe the format would have survived if they didn't copy guard them like regular CDs so people could rip them. Did that strategy backfire? Maybe.

41 minutes ago, Tipo450s said:

Do you have "Dynamic IP" set to off on the Oppo? On the Pioneer there is the option to switch off dynamic ip which is required so that the whole process works correctly. I don't think you need a password if running wired....at least my network is setup that way.

Thanks. Don't see Dynamic IP offered. Do have IP Setting - Auto (DHCP) or Manual. It has always been on. It says obtain IP address automatically using DHCP or specify IP address. Sounds similar to Pioneer's Dynamic IP?

Automatic IP is the same as Dynamic IP and Manual IP would be the same as Static IP.  Many routers have a feature were you can reserve an IP address for devices that are configured for Automatic / Dynamic IP addresses.  That's a nice feature because you can put all devices in Dynamic IP mode and manage all addresses in one place.  Even if you have a few devices that only support static IP's, you can configure those manually and just make sure you don't reuse the same address for another device on the router.  Don't ask me how to configure YOUR router for this as they all handle the configuration differently. :)

The updated guide for the Oppo (on first page of the thread) advises to use a manual ip address. Set the ip address on your router and then set the same address on the Oppo. You would set the IP setting on the Oppo to manual. Here's the relevant section of the guide:

It ͛s not vital, but I recommend that you open the Playback Setup section of the Oppo's Setup Menu and disable Auto Play Mode and Auto Resume, as they interfere with the ripping process. Then check the Network Setup section and take a note of the current IP address of your Oppo (listed under Connection Information). You may find it more convenient to set a fixed IP address for the Oppo, as otherwise you might find that each ripping session requires a different IP address

Missed that in the instructions. Since I got the IP address while the Oppo was hooked to the router via wireless, will that be the same when wired? Not wanting to move a tv into the router room unless needed. Already moved the Oppo and laptop there. 6' cables are a pain. Would need 75' cables to reach the listening room where the Oppo is normally located.

Setting Oppo to manual while it is in the audio room.

Thanks. 

7 minutes ago, Barondla said:

Missed that in the instructions. Since I got the IP address while the Oppo was hooked to the router via wireless, will that be the same when wired? Not wanting to move a tv into the router room unless needed. Already moved the Oppo and laptop there. 6' cables are a pain. Would need 75' cables to reach the listening room where the Oppo is normally located.

Setting Oppo to manual while it is in the audio room.

Thanks. 

No, the wired and wireless network connections are tied to different MAC addresses and therefore different IP addresses will likely get assigned.  Of course, if you stick with dynamic IP addresses, it's potentially a moving target anyway.

1 hour ago, sefischer1 said:

A while back I wrote some cleared up instructions with the necessary data as an attached zip file:

I saw in the threads about the BDP-105 not being supported had to do with not having telnet.  This is some of the confusion I referred to. You don’t want to use or need to use telnet.   I’ve attached a version of the code (SACD.zip )  which doesn’t use telnet.

Simply copy the whole AutoScript folder in SACD.zip to your thumb drive.  You will have one folder in the thumb drive: AutoScript

I’ve attached the Sonore iso2dse utility. You will want to install the utility in the directory where you want the ripped .iso files to be generated.   After that you can move them to wherever you like and subsequently process them using JRiver or some other appropriate tool to convert the .iso data to dxf etc.

Revise your BDP settings to not autoplay when a disk is inserted.

To rip, you’ll insert the thumb drive into the BDP-105 USB slot. If it working as is typical, the sacd_extract code will be copied to the root of the players Linux operating system and invoked.  The drawer will open.  Insert the disk and close the drawer. Don’t play it.

From your PC, invoke the Sonore iso2dsd.exe program.  Within the iso2dsd interface, specify the IP address of your BDP-105 player.  Select the appropriate options and start the RIP.  The ripped data should appear alongside the iso2dsd.exe file on your computer or server drive.

Good luck.

iso2dsd_PC_v7.zip

SACD.zip

Thank you sefischer1. Much appreciated.

6 hours ago, Gregavi said:

Maybe that's one of the reasons the SACD format pretty much died. Once people stopped spinning discs and ripping their CDs, the SACD format got less desirable. Maybe the format would have survived if they didn't copy guard them like regular CDs so people could rip them. Did that strategy backfire? Maybe.

I think your guess is spot on.  I know it’s what halted my adventure with SACD’s.  In any case I’m back on track (no pun intended) with this new process.  Have 11 more of my favorites showing up over the next couple days.  

Hopefully people from the industry are paying attention and reading this.  

15 hours ago, Gregavi said:

I really don't think so.  First, it is premature to call SACD dead, at least for classical music.  Not denying that it may be in decline, especially for other music genres.

Second, computer audiophiles who rip their discs don't strike me as a huge subset of the total market. Those of us who do may tend to think the world revolves around us and our desires.  But, I don't think copy protection prevented SACD from being a much bigger success globally for most music listeners.  That said, it is nice to see some small resurgence of interest here now that SACDs can be ripped fairly easily.

I think marketing issues, starting with Sony, have more to do with the niche status of SACD.  Also, and for a huge variety of reasons, many people just do not hear a price-worthy advantage of hirez music.  That is especially true on many remasters from analog, which tended to dominate early SACD releases as well as releases in the big volume rock/pop genres.  I think the reality is that hirez music at its best via native hirez recordings is better, and I have collected little else for 10 years.  It is a sonic improvement, but it is not gee whiz, slam dunk and obviously better to every listener on every system.

The great thing about SACD for me is availability of a pretty decent repertoire of well engineered classical recordings natively recorded in multichannel.  Hirez and the now well established ability to rip and play via PC are very worthwhile bonuses.

Fitzcaraldo, agree. The lack of success was due to Sony and other music companies who pushed DRM and lack of SACD computer interworking and fought the SACD-vs-DVD-Audio war. They made it a niche play due to their business interests. Terrible for us consumers. Then they did everything possible to have us keep the DSD files locked in the optical discs until the decoding algorithm was backwards engineered, plus this and a few other rip methods unlocked them. Now, I don't have to look for my discs, can play when wanted, and can jump among all of the music. Ironically, having the music in the music play software (Foobar2000) means I now look for SACDs to buy (not SONY music though).

Wrxfied, I think the music industry has learned little. Basically, they realized they could not stop technology and those like Apple from eating their lunch so they reluctantly kicking and screaming had to jump into downloads and now streaming. But, for the most part, they are still pushing mp3s and other low quality files onto most unsuspecting consumers. Then the music companies try to resell the same music to consumers in other formats and new streaming services, plus remasterings with lower dynamic range (so you can listen at constant high volume on an ipod and an iphone), etc. Yep, mobile phones have helped broaden the distribution but severely hurt the quality of music. As a result, you see lower and lower prices for most main-stream music. No wonder the music industry has shrunk. Not to mention that there are many other forms of accessible entertainment.

Anyway, this is what I appreciate about this effort: high quality music gets freed from investments already made (and many of my discs were bought when the prices were the same as normal CDs).

tonyo123

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone tried a Pioneer BDP-150.

I can get as far as the tray opening but have not luck connecting either using putty (connection refused), the cmd file (sacd_extract.exe crashes), or iso2dsd_gui(Failed to connect 
libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.0.23:2002 for reading)

I'm not even sure if it has the correct chipset and i haven't had any luck finding anything online to indicate if it does or doesn't.

Cheers

Chris

I have used the PS3 method for a few weeks, but did not do significant listening tests on multi-channel SACDs until today (I was concentrating on the grind of making the files). I will get more thorough soon with calibrated volume matching. My first impression is that the PS3 makes fat sloppy files that have an excess reverb effect not present in the magnificent sound from the Oppo 105 direct from the disc. This is confusing, because the PS3 is supposed to make bit accurate conversions and I'm playing the files through the same Oppo.

I'll be gearing up to make the Oppo do the transfer soon and report back.

1 hour ago, va-vid said:

I have used the PS3 method for a few weeks, but did not do significant listening tests on multi-channel SACDs until today (I was concentrating on the grind of making the files). I will get more thorough soon with calibrated volume matching. My first impression is that the PS3 makes fat sloppy files that have an excess reverb effect not present in the magnificent sound from the Oppo 105 direct from the disc. This is confusing, because the PS3 is supposed to make bit accurate conversions and I'm playing the files through the same Oppo.

I'll be gearing up to make the Oppo do the transfer soon and report back.

Wow, that's very odd, since a few members report the SACD rip from a PS3 is bit identical to the rip from a complaint Oppo.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

To create a bootable USB stick requires another piece of software to find, and Windows for example doesn't have "Make this stick bootable" option in the formatting procedure.

Windows though does have a tool called DISKPART that creates a bootable USB stick, and can format in NTFS or FAT32 or it can be used to create a bootable installation. DISKPART is included in Windows 10.

Here's the instructions from TechNet. The instructions are very clear and unambiguous.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA