IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

5 minutes ago, Gregavi said:

Hi, I have been following this thread for several months and I am finally ready to jump in and start ripping my SACDs. My first step is to purchase one of the players that are capable of the ripping process. My question is: how do I know if the player has the original firmware? From what I have read here and other forums, the player cannot have had a firmware update in order for the process to work. Is this true and how do I know before purchasing the player if it has updated firmware? Thanks in advance.

The Oppo players that are supported (the 10x series) will work just fine for this even with the most recent firmware installed.  I'm pretty sure the same is true for all the other players that work with this process.

The BDP-80FD is good. However, be aware that if you buy used this unit is known to have lasers go bad after a certain period of time. This happened to me. I got mine used from Ebay. It would read everything but SACD. I had to find a part replacement for the laser carriage (from China) and managed to successfully bring my unit back to life. I described the process in detail in an earlier post on this thread (page 99 by emthered).

Finally, finished! ~160 SACDs with albums mostly to individual DSFs, a small number to ISOs so I can play lossless and retain both two and multi-channel versions. Used the PIONBDP80FD player. Like clockwork, but, still took a while. After I was done with the extraction, this past weekend I spent my free time moving files around my various hard disks including setting up a new music primary and backup music hard drive, plus, an external hard drive attached to my living room laptop and playable on my family room receiver (via WIFI and DLNA - yes, I know the bandwidth needs for multi-channel can be challenging but DSD over PCM seems to work fine). Then updated Foobar2000, including the latest version of the SACD decoder. Set up the SACD playlists, plus added the SACDs onto different artist and genre playlists, plus took out the hybrid Redbook (44k/16) versions. Finally, added cover art and extracted dynamic range data which was then added to the tags. Lots of tedious tasks, but, pleased that I can now play this music without having to search for and pop in individual SACDs onto the player, plus it's much easier to switch albums and tracks (even if I do have a five disc tray SCAD player - state of the art automation back then, of course). So, done is done. Even find myself looking for other SACDs to buy.

It's funny, many years ago I decided I would no longer buy an updated player:  CD or DVD, and certainly not Blue Ray (I wish Audio and  HT magazines would stop pushing them on us). Just figured they became obsolete as extracting the files that I already had as CDs plus purchasing new music as lossless or HD, and watching streaming movies via Netflix/Amazon, were the way to go. Still all true, but, could not resist getting the Pioneer for this worthwhile task. 

tonyo123

Guys, I successfully extracted many SACD"s some 6 months ago using Oppo 103 using ethernet.

Now, when I hit Execute button in ISO2DSD I get message:

sacd_extract(1232,0x7fffa99063c0) malloc: *** error for object 0x104eb3000: pointer being freed was not allocated

*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

Any ideas?

30 minutes ago, jkenton said:

Guys, I successfully extracted many SACD"s some 6 months ago using Oppo 103 using ethernet.

Now, when I hit Execute button in ISO2DSD I get message:

sacd_extract(1232,0x7fffa99063c0) malloc: *** error for object 0x104eb3000: pointer being freed was not allocated

*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

Any ideas?

Maybe the USB stick has corrupt sectors, make another stick? 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

4 hours ago, jkenton said:

Made another stick with same result. Words in error message the same but numbers were different.

I have also tried:

Verifying IP address

Rebooting router to force new IP address

Switch between ethernet > WIFI>ethernet 

Forget about network. This is a problem with your ISO2DSD. It is probably a bad/buggy version. Try to download a different version, ensure it is a stable version from a reliable source. 

Me again, again with a 'too long' file name problem.  From my previous post, I was able to remedy for a problem disc by shortening the name of the iso file. With the current problem disc (Tilson Thomas - Rite of Spring, again on Pentatone), I've tried reducing the name of the iso file I'm converting all the way down to '1.iso.'  With iso2dsd It makes it to the 4th track, where with all the title info, the file length is too long.  Any suggestions how to fix this?  I'm not seeing any way to do this.

1 hour ago, wanthalf said:

Forget about network. This is a problem with your ISO2DSD. It is probably a bad/buggy version. Try to download a different version, ensure it is a stable version from a reliable source. 

Re-downloaded, just to be sure, from Sonore site iso2dsd_OSX_v6

When I hit Execute I get message:

"Failed to connect

libsacdread: Can't open 172.27.35.132:0 for reading"

1 hour ago, Jake Trapp said:

Me again, again with a 'too long' file name problem.  From my previous post, I was able to remedy for a problem disc by shortening the name of the iso file. With the current problem disc (Tilson Thomas - Rite of Spring, again on Pentatone), I've tried reducing the name of the iso file I'm converting all the way down to '1.iso.'  With iso2dsd It makes it to the 4th track, where with all the title info, the file length is too long.  Any suggestions how to fix this?  I'm not seeing any way to do this.

Have you tried:

1) Bogi's ISO2DSF has a config file parameter that will shorten created folder names, etc (defaults to 100 but I set to 50)

2) Shorten your starting point path name (meaning always have your extract tools from a root drive if possible, so path name is as short as possible)

3) worst case, try an older version of sacd_extract (command line) but those typically only fix foreign character issues, etc.

12 hours ago, Jake Trapp said:

If you are running the extraction on a Windows machine, you can try the attached batch-scripts.

As Ted suggested, it uses an additional switch in the command-line to shorten/change the output file names.

You will have to tag and rename the files manually, but ...

Just place the ISO you want to extract, a version of the sacd_extract.exe and the batch-files in one folder, and then run the batch-script needed by double-clicking it.

Extract DST Multichannel to DSF Files - Long filenames.bat

Extract DST Stereo to DSF Files - Long filenames.bat

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

12 hours ago, jkenton said:

Re-downloaded, just to be sure, from Sonore site iso2dsd_OSX_v6

When I hit Execute I get message:

"Failed to connect

libsacdread: Can't open 172.27.35.132:0 for reading"

This is a connectivity problem.  Either the IP address of the SACD Player is incorrect (can you ping it), possibly the port has been specified incorrectly (or the player isn't "listening" (problem with the code run from the USB stick)).  From your post the port specified is 0 and should usually be 2002.  Here is the output when I run this:

sacd_extract -i 192.168.123.159:2002 -P -I

with my SACD player turned off:

libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.123.159:2002 for reading

That is, assuming it was previously working for you, which would rule out problems with the player not listening for the connections from your computer.  If the player isn't "listening", then you'll get the same error, but if it is, the zero for the port number in your case looks like the problem to me!

HTH! :)

21 hours ago, ted_b said:

Have you tried:

1) Bogi's ISO2DSF has a config file parameter that will shorten created folder names, etc (defaults to 100 but I set to 50)

2) Shorten your starting point path name (meaning always have your extract tools from a root drive if possible, so path name is as short as possible)

3) worst case, try an older version of sacd_extract (command line) but those typically only fix foreign character issues, etc.

So I ran this ISO into Bogi's ISO2DSF (right click on ISO, simple as that) and it worked fine.  Notice that I have the config file parameter set for 50 (default is 100).

mtt.thumb.png.1ef0773cf404952c6696a35d872c3137.png

12 hours ago, mutant_matt said:

This is a connectivity problem.  Either the IP address of the SACD Player is incorrect (can you ping it), possibly the port has been specified incorrectly (or the player isn't "listening" (problem with the code run from the USB stick)).  From your post the port specified is 0 and should usually be 2002.  Here is the output when I run this:

sacd_extract -i 192.168.123.159:2002 -P -I

with my SACD player turned off:

libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.123.159:2002 for reading

That is, assuming it was previously working for you, which would rule out problems with the player not listening for the connections from your computer.  If the player isn't "listening", then you'll get the same error, but if it is, the zero for the port number in your case looks like the problem to me!

HTH! :)

Mutant_matt , typing in 2002 did the trick!!

I can't tell you many hours I spent trying to figure this out.

A BIG Thanks to you and all who have helped me!

You da man :rolleyes:!

10 hours ago, jkenton said:

Mutant_matt , typing in 2002 did the trick!!

I can't tell you many hours I spent trying to figure this out.

A BIG Thanks to you and all who have helped me!

You da man :rolleyes:!

No problem at all.  When you work in IT, and the world is increasingly moving into that realm, you can fix all manner of real-world problems relatively simply, with a little knowledge (in this case understanding IP addressing *and* IP ports).

Ted has been a great help to me personally, so I like to give back where I can :)

Cheers,

Matt :)

Only recently found out that this was even possible long after the days of hoarding unicorn PS3s.  So the new problem is that I STILL don't own any of the players compatible with this utility.  For a long time I considered getting a 103/105 and eventually waited to buy the 205.  But that doesn't help me now.

For the guy with 100+ SACDs, buying an old player makes some sense.  But I have only 15 disc so the value prop is a lot less.  One motivation is that a few of my discs are old and out of print (one of them is very special to me).

What I need is a friend that I could borrow an appropriate player for a day of ripping.

2 hours ago, haggis999 said:

When I ripped my CD and SACD collection, which is predominantly classical, I failed to find online sources of the correct cover art for a noticeable number of the discs. My solution was take digital photos of the actual covers and then generate reduced size copies (from memory, I think I went for 800 x 800 pixels).

I find it hard to believe that you can't find cover art  for every disc that you have. I have some pretty out of mainstream discs that I have had no problem finding cover art for. You must have some really obscure stuff. Where are you buying these discs that you are unable to  find cover art for?