IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

7 hours ago, scottm_dj said:

Holy #^%$...this really does work on my Cambridge 752BD!  You guys are absolute geniuses!

Now I can add content to my superb ExaSound e28 i got from Larry via this site.

image.thumb.png.a39e1e8aad834668f8d2dfbe634613df.png

Congratulations! DFF/DSF's will sound great on the e28 :)

Why people with Cambridge Players can rip SACD with minimal effort & support, yet those with Oppo struggle? 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

A HUGE THANK YOU to ted_b and everyone who made this possible!

I'm an pretty average computer user, and was able to follow Haggis999's instructions that ted_b linked to on the first page of the thread. It didn't work the first time on my Oppo 103, but when I tried a different USB key it was exactly as described.

I have now ripped all my SACDs in stereo (thats all I can play at the moment) and am re-ripping them in multichannel for the future. The only disc that didn't work was Mendelssohn Piano Trios (Pentatone). I haven't followed up on that yet.

Yeah!

@ted_b: Thanks for making the Pioneer process list a sticky. If it is easier for you to maintain that doc in the context of this thread, say as much in a post, and I'll delete the dbox link. There may be a spelling error or two in the text file at the dbox link, btw.

----------------------------------------

Here are a couple of caveats that I have run into with "sacd_extract.exe". Nothing major at all - nothing that affects operation or processing of SACDs and DSF/DFF files.

1. I mentioned the "Dacapo-Kronos-Holmgreen" SACD in the Pioneer process list; it was an SACD that did not have any metadata for "sacd_extract.exe" to use. See the attached dsf extraction log at the dbox link for the same SACD. Notice the lack of newlines in the status messages. The program is probably outputing a null instead of a newline for those SACDs that do not have metadata included. This is the only SACD I have that does not have metadata, so I cannot confirm the behaviour otherwise. What I can say is this: all other SACDs that I have processed with "sacd_extract.exe" have output status messages terminated by a newline. Definitely not a biggie.

2. Some SACDs are multiple SACD sets. Consider a 2 SACD-hybrid set that contains both stereo and mch audio, but uses defaults for "Sequence Number" and "Set Size" via the SACD metadata. If I run "sacd_extract.exe" in dsf extraction mode, I should end up with four folders, assuming you run stereo extraction first, then mch extraction, for each SACD consecutively: 1. sacd1 stereo; 2. sacd1 mch; 3. sacd2 stereo; 4. sacd2 mch. The first created folder will be named based on the SACD title from its metadata, and subsequent folders have the same basename with a numbered suffix. (This is similar to what is described in the Pioneer process list.)

I have a 2-SACD set, "DG-Boulez-BPO-Ravel-Bolero". This SACD causes "sacd_extract.exe" to put all stereo and mch files for both SACDs in the same folder; "sacd_extract.exe" does not create the four folders as I described above - it uses only one folder thereby overwriting previously generated files. This is the only SACD I have where the SACD metadata contains valid values for "Sequence Number" and "Set Size". It's a pretty good feature - "sacd_extract.exe" sees that a set is multi-disc, and then leaves the files in the same folder. The problem is twofold: 1. As I mentioned above, subsequent dsf extractions overwrite previously generated dsf files (since "sacd_extract.exe" is using the same folder to write output); 2. No "Sequence Number" is prefixed to generated dsf files, so you end up with 2 track 1s, 2 track 2s, etc., for a 2-SACD set. Definitely not a biggie.

The work-around is to: run "sacd_extract.exe" against the SACD1 iso image for stereo tracks; rename the output folder; run "sacd_extract.exe" against the SACD1 iso image for mch tracks; rename the output folder; repeat the same steps for SACD2; and finally, merge the folders so that there is one stereo folder and one mch folder, each with SACD1 and SACD2 files.

----------------------------------------

I put the logs at the following dbox link for: 1. the "Dacapo-Kronos-Holmgreen" SACD; 2. another 2-SACD set I have ("CCS-BFO-Fischer-MAHLER-2") that uses default values for "Sequence Number" and "Set Size"; and 3. the logs for the "DG-Boulez-BPO-Ravel-Bolero" 2-SACD set.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ph2v415w8c06zad/sacd_extract.exe---logs.rar?dl=1

I've been using this in Linux without issue to rip my SACDs from my Oppo.  It's worked great.  I'm having unrelated problems with that workstation, so I set this up on my Win 7 box.  I was able to rip to ISO without issue, but every time I tried to convert to DSF files, iso2dsd would start, "print" the contents correctly, create the destination folder and cue sheet, and then just hang at the first file conversion.  I tried SACD_extract from the command line on the ISO file, and it just crashes.  After a couple of hours trying to figure out what the problem is, I finally got the brilliant idea to try an SACD I had ripped before.  Grrrr.... no problem.

The problem disc is Arabella Steinbacher's new release of Britten/Hindemith violin concertos, on Pentatone.  I've ripped all my Pentatone discs in the past without issues.  In fact, this is the first disc I've every had any problem with.  Any ideas what the problem might be?  It plays fine, and I ripped it to flac with JRiver.  I tried stereo and multi-channel.  As I said, it looks like I can rip the ISO just fine (file size makes sense; I've never figured out how to play SACD ISO files in JRiver), just can't convert to .dsf.

1 hour ago, Jake Trapp said:

just can't convert to .dsf.

1. How you convert in DSF?

2. What happens when you convert to DSF?

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

4 hours ago, Jake Trapp said:

... The problem disc is Arabella Steinbacher's new release of Britten/Hindemith violin concertos, on Pentatone. ...

There were similar problems with other Pentatone SACDs in the past, so most likely you have the same problem here:

a. The Meta-Data used on the SACD uses some special characters which can not be processed by SACD_extract - and it crashes.

b. The SACD Meta-Data contains some very long file/tracknames whhich can not be handled by Windows - you can try to extract from/to the root of your drive (i.e. "C:/ " - and no subfolders used).

There is a batch file for these rare conditions to be used with sacd_extract - you can drop me a PM if you want to try it.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

41 minutes ago, Synfreak said:

a. The Meta-Data used on the SACD uses some special characters which can not be processed by SACD_extract - and it crashes.

b. The SACD Meta-Data contains some very long file/tracknames whhich can not be handled by Windows - you can try to extract from/to the root of your drive (i.e. "C:/ " - and no subfolders used).

All these issues may be solved by special automation under track extraction:

1. As rule, non-English symbols may be kept in file and directory name.

2. Forbidden (for operation system) symbols are replaced to allowed.

3. Track path and name length must be reduced. It is issue of both: Mac and Windows.

Also some ISO's may be truncated. I suspect it is file system issue. May be it is ripping tool issue. Still I don't have information enough.

In this case sacd_extract can hungs up at certain percentage. Automation software what control sacd_extract should be able to terminate it manually.
That truncated ISO may have 2 track variants: stereo and multichannel. If sacd_extract hanging at one of the variants, need to try extract other variant.

Read more about ISO extraction faults >

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

6 hours ago, Synfreak said:

There were similar problems with other Pentatone SACDs in the past, so most likely you have the same problem here:

There is a batch file for these rare conditions to be used with sacd_extract - you can drop me a PM if you want to try it.

Yes, the Pentatone Alan Civil Mozart Horn Concerto SACD is the only one I have had a problem with on my Oppo 105.  SACD_Extract produces an ISO, but ISO2DSD gets stuck, producing a CUE file but nothing else.

1 hour ago, Jake Trapp said:

Thanks a lot for the responses.  I really appreciate it.  I did see the previous posts regarding path length, but the original path length didn't seem that long to me.  Shows you what I know - once I moved everything to the root directory as recommended, it works fine now.

I've just taken the hint and underlined the guidance about path lengths in my Oppo-oriented guidance document linked on p1 of this thread.

18 hours ago, jf1 said:

Yes, the Pentatone Alan Civil Mozart Horn Concerto SACD i

Doh, file name length issue.  Moved SACD_extract to C:\SX and it now produces DSF files.

One trap I have run into trying to follow the instructions at the start of this post is ensuring you have the right version of SACD_extract.  However I initially downloaded it, I had an old version that I was using to extract ISOs, even though ISO2DSD comes with a more recent one.  Now I have 0.3.8. 

Just thought I'd share an exciting discovery here. Apologies in advance for the length of this post but I feel that this is very important and relevant to this thread. I was one of those unlucky ones who had a Pioneer BDP-80FD that would not read SACDs. The display would read "CD" when SACDs where inserted and therefore sacd_extract would not work properly. I've always been a tinkerer and decided I wouldn't give up. After some extensive research I discovered that the BDP-160, BDP-170 and BDP-80FD are all essentially the same unit. The BDP-160 is marketed in Europe, U.K., Taiwan, Asean, Oceana, Russia and China. The BDP-170 is marketed in Russia and Oceana and the BDP-80FD in North America. 

I deduced the most likely problem with detecting the SACD must be in the laser/loading unit (Pioneer refers to this as the "Loader Assembly"). I was able to source a replacement part from a Chinese supplier on Ebay by searching for "BDP-160 laser". Sure enough I found a new one for $23 USD shipped. I figured $23 was a worthy gamble. I received the part about three weeks later.

Replacing the part is fairly easy. While the unit is powered on, open the tray and remove the tray's faceplate by pushing it upwards and away from tray and set it aside. Close the tray. Turn off and unplug the unit. Remove the six screws that hold the case lid and remove it and set it aside. Remove 2 ribbon cables and 1 molex connector from the main board. These three connections are attached to the Loader Assembly. Remove the Loader Assembly by removing the 4 silver screws that hold it to the chassis. There is a black plastic disc cover piece that is attached by clips to the top of the assembly - carefully remove it by unclipping and lifting upward. Once the Loader Assembly is removed pull the tray open by pressing sideways on the white plastic bar underneath the unit. This motion will retract the laser assembly and allow you to slide the tray to the outward position exposing the 4 screws you'll need to remove to extract the laser carriage. Before you remove the laser carriage undo the 2 ribbon cables. Once the ribbon cables are removed you can unscrew the laser carriage from the Loader Assembly. Remove the 4 rubber damping grommets from the old laser and put them on the new one and screw the new laser carriage into the Loader Assembly. Carefully re-attach the 2 ribbon cables. 

Now here's the most important step. This will not work if you don't do this! There is a special barcode on a sticker placed on the bottom of the laser carriage. This barcode must be scanned in order to decipher a special 64-digit code. The barcode is in "Data Matrix" format so you'll need to download a barcode scanning app on your phone that will read "Data Matrix" barcodes. There are many free apps available for Android and iOS that can do this. Once you scan the code your scanning app should show a 64-digit alpha-numeric code. CAREFULLY write this code down and set it aside. Apparently this barcode is used by the main board for properly aligning and calibrating the laser.

At this point you can re-assemble everything in reverse order. Be careful when replacing the ribbon cables to the main board as any misalignment may cause problems.

On your computer create a .TXT file (I used notepad on a PC) and carefully type in your 64-digit code. Any typing errors will result in this not working so take your time! Save the file on the root of a USB drive as "2D_barcode_data.txt". Place the USB drive in the USB slot of the re-assembled BDP-80FD and power on. Also make sure the unit is attached to a monitor. Upon boot-up use the remote to navigate to "Initial Setup" and press "enter" on the remote. Now press the following numbers on the remote to get into the service mode screen - "5 1 7 7". The monitor screen will change to a service mode menu. Select "[6]Repair Service" then select "Write 2D barcode from USB memory" and press the enter button on the remote. With any luck the message "OK" will appear on the screen. Quit the service mode by pressing the "stop" button on the remote. Note that you can also enter the barcode using the remote alone but it's a lot more cumbersome. 

PROBLEM FIXED! I can't describe how excited I was when I inserted a SACD and the unit's readout showed "SACD". Sacd_extract now works flawlessly every time. Disclaimer - at the time of this writing I can only find one supplier of this part and this particular supplier has only one unit left. Your results may vary. The official part number is KEM-480AAA. Best of luck!

39 minutes ago, emthered said:

After some extensive research I discovered that the BDP-160, BDP-170 and BDP-80FD are all essentially the same unit. The BDP-160 is marketed in Europe, U.K., Taiwan, Asean, Oceana, Russia and China. The BDP-170 is marketed in Russia and Oceana and the BDP-80FD in North America. 

Thanks for your great instruction in how to make the Pioneer recognize SACDs again.

My Pioneer BDP-170 hasn't had this problem yet fortunately, only a couple of hybrid SACDs that got recognized as CDs first, but as SACDs when reloaded.

I had to replace the laser on my Sony SCD-XA777ES for the same reason, and the replacement drive got the same problems after a while. It's a well known problem for Sony players of a certain generation. But now, as I rip all my SACDs, this doesn't matter anymore.

Concerning the text above that I quoted, while the BDP-80FD is indeed the US version of the BDP-170 (they have a common service manual), both the BDP-160 and 170 were sold in Europe. The 160 was entered on Amazon.de as of June 2013, and the successor BDP-170 as of May 2014. There must be some technical differences.

The BDP-170 is Pioneer’s latest Blu-ray player, the replacement for 2013’s BDP-160 and the only new model it’s launched this year. Pioneer says this new player improves on its predecessor’s AV performance while adding new smartphone connectivity options.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/pioneer-bdp-170

Claude

My turn to try and get some help.

Pioneer 80FD

I've d/l'd the autoscript for the Pioneer 160. Prepped two different USB thumb drives as FAT32. Copied the script folder to the root of the thumb drives. Follow the instructions on the initial post. Put the thumb drives in the power-off 80FD. Powered it up. The tray will not open with either thumb drive. I can "see" the Pioneer on the network and ping it but all is worthless if can't get the tray to open.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'd go into more detail but searching the thread and time have me worn out.

Hopefully I get some ideas of what to try next.

Dave-

Tonyo, thanks for your reply.

I am trying to do this via Ethernet not Wi-Fi. I did look at my wi-fi option and WPS is not one of my selections. The only choices are WPA and WEP.

I have disabled autoplay in setup, There is no autoresume that I can find.

I'm on my third USB thumbdrive and still no luck.

I'm using the same instructions you've put into your post.

When I fornat the USB drive there are options for "Allocation File Size". These are:

Default Allocation Size

4096 bytes

8192 bytes

16 kilobytes

32 kilobytes

64 kilobyes

I'm not sure these have an impact but it is possible,

It's also possible there's a setting on the Pioneer that's not correct.

When I power up the USB stick does flash and the Pioneer create a folder called "BUDA" on the thumbdrive. I'm not sure what that means or does.

When I power up I see in the display:

PIONEER

HELLO

NO DISC

USB IN

NO DISC

The unit does nothing after that.

I have the proper files in the Autoscript folder:

AutoScript

AutoScript.TSS

sacd_extract_160

There is also a hidden folder:

System Volume Information

I'm using Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

I'm stumped.

Dave-

Holy crap! I tried wi-fi and the tray opened.

Now I'm ripping my first SACD.

Wi-fi is the key but may I be so humble to ask is there a way to do this via ethernet? This will take forever via my crappy wi-fi service, (0.1 MB/sec) After 20 minutes I'm 6 percent done.

Thanks for the help, tonyo and to those I PM'd earlier in this process.

Dave-