IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

I have a handful of first generation CD's that have been reissued, and the original cover art isn't out there, but the replacements are good enough.  A couple of classical CD's, no artwork anywhere I could find.  Photos work. But I haven't ripped all of my classical CDs yet.  I expect SACDs won't be an issue.

Local/Regional artists/groups can be impossible if their websites lapse.

3 hours ago, Gregavi said:

I find it hard to believe that you can't find cover art  for every disc that you have. I have some pretty out of mainstream discs that I have had no problem finding cover art for. You must have some really obscure stuff. Where are you buying these discs that you are unable to  find cover art for?

I've just checked the folder that contains all my CD cover art that had to be created by photographing or scanning the original covers. There are no less than 170 examples and they include plenty of major classical recordings (The Solti Ring cycle, for example). With very rare exceptions, they all came from normal suppliers, primarily Amazon.co.uk.

There may be better sources, but my searches for CD cover art were mostly done via dBpoweramp CD Ripper, which links to several online providers. Some cover art was also sourced from Amazon, though this not of any use for deleted recordings (I think Amazon was where I found the cover art for my small number of SACDs) .

35 minutes ago, haggis999 said:

I've just checked the folder that contains all my CD cover art that had to be created by photographing or scanning the original covers. There are no less than 170 examples and they include plenty of major classical recordings (The Solti Ring cycle, for example). With very rare exceptions, they all came from normal suppliers, primarily Amazon.co.uk.

I find that hard to believe.  I have never had to scan/photograph a CD/SACD for cover art (including the Solti Ring in its various editions) although, admittedly, some did take more effort than others.

37 minutes ago, haggis999 said:

There may be better sources, but my searches for CD cover art were mostly done via dBpoweramp CD Ripper, which links to several online providers.

I've found that a fairly unreliable resource.  Basically, I just Google for the recording and find links to cover art or just search Google's Images option.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I've had good luck at albumartexchange dot com especially for pop titles.  YMMV for classical stuff.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

4 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I find that hard to believe.  I have never had to scan/photograph a CD/SACD for cover art (including the Solti Ring in its various editions) although, admittedly, some did take more effort than others.

I've found that a fairly unreliable resource.  Basically, I just Google for the recording and find links to cover art or just search Google's Images option.

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself. I never rely on a program (dbpoweramp, itunes etc) to do my searching for cover art.

Hi guys, I've received my Pioneer BDP-80FD, and attempted to rip my first SACD, and unfortunately have hit a snag.  Here's what I've done.

1) Set up Pioneer player, turned off autoplay and resume.

2) Connected to WiFi

3) created usb with Autoscript folder with the 3 files in it.

4) Drawer opens after powercycling the player, and inserting usb stick

5) run windows sacd_extract from the .cmd file script, modifying the network address to be what is assigned to the player; confirmed address via my router, and also the network information in the player to be correct.

6) Fails with the windows error: "sacd_extract.exe has stopped working"

Any help appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Btw, I"ve also tried to run the mac version of sacd_extract, which also fails, with "libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.43:2002 for reading.

Here is the windows command in the .cmd file:

sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.43:2002 -P -I

18 hours ago, Gregavi said:

Easy enough to use search engine.

Earlier today, I ran a successful Google search for cover art for some of the CDs whose covers I scanned several years ago. I'm not quite sure why I didn't use Google back then, but it might have been that my first attempts to find cover art online were not very fruitful and I just got into the habit of scanning my CD covers. The scanning process was fairly quick, so it wasn't a major issue for me.  

Pioneer BDP-80 arrived about an hour ago ($249 from Walmart.com).....was up and running ripping SACD's in about 10 mins (5 mins of which was messing around with a bad HDMI cable). It's not the most well made player but at the price I have no complaints. I'm using ISO2DSD in server mode to create ISO's on the hard drive. It couldn't be an easier process and worked right out of the gate. I'm extremely happy with the whole process. 

Interesting - thanks :)

Why not though?  What is it about SACD transports that mean they don't suffer the same problem as CD transports?

If anyone is interested, just for the hell of it, and to see what results we get, we could post a few MD5sums (or one of the SHAs, the hash algorithm doesn't really matter)?

Anyone curious? (or am I the only saddo here? ;):D )

No, I agree with your proposition that disc readers, regardless of what they are reading/ripping, are error-prone and their correction circuity tries as best they can to cover up their mistakes.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

Just use sonores front-end to extract the tracks to *.dsf or *.dff files:

http://www.sonore.us/iso2dsd.html

*.dsf files may be the prefered option, as these can contain tags.

Don't forget to tick the "convert DST to DSD" box, as a lot of the SACDs out there use compressed (DST) DSD data.

But keep your ISOs for future reference (and as backup) ;-)

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Yes and no ;-)

Not every soft- or hardware player can decode DST compressed data/Files.

So, maybe you were lucky and all of your ripped/extracted SACDs haven't had DST compressed data, or your player(-software) still decodes it "on the fly".

But that would be somewhat unexpected, as - for what I know - *.dsf files could not contain compressed data.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Thanks synfreak, I used sonore as you suggested to make dsf files and then Foobar 2000 to add tag info to the dsf files. Foobar finds tag info via freedb but when I open one of the  dsf files in a tag editor, there is no tag info. 

How are you adding tag info to the dsf file, or are you tagging the file before converting the iso file?

BTW, with the sonore I am choosing Sony DSF as the Output Mode and not checking the "Convert DST to DSD". Is this the right or wrong setting(s)?