IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

8 hours ago, va-vid said:

My first impression is that the PS3 makes fat sloppy files that have an excess reverb effect not present in the magnificent sound from the Oppo 105 direct from the disc. 

My long term impression from years of ripping SACDs with PS3s as well as with Oppos is that the ripped multichannel files sound no different from those played directly from the disc if I use the Oppo DACs for playback.  If I use other options for playback (different DACs, DSP, upsampling), the files can sound different and much better.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

14 hours ago, va-vid said:

I have used the PS3 method for a few weeks, but did not do significant listening tests on multi-channel SACDs until today (I was concentrating on the grind of making the files). I will get more thorough soon with calibrated volume matching. My first impression is that the PS3 makes fat sloppy files that have an excess reverb effect not present in the magnificent sound from the Oppo 105 direct from the disc. This is confusing, because the PS3 is supposed to make bit accurate conversions and I'm playing the files through the same Oppo.

I'll be gearing up to make the Oppo do the transfer soon and report back.

Could it be that dsf files are made on the fly?

'Usually', an ISO is created first, then from the ISO, dsf or dff or if you have the facility or want, to FLAC. It's possible that the computations are falling over, since the conversions on the fly when ripping are a one sided affair (no checking) and could sound very different.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I feel so close; I can almost taste it...

I've been reading this tread with great excitement, and today laid my hands on a Pioneer BDP-80FD. The instructions seem pretty clear to me. I'm on a Mac. Disabled autoplay as told. Created a static IP address on my router for the Pioneer, which can see the network. 

Inserted the USB stick, drawer opened, I put in SACD, closed it, and ran Sonore ISO2DSD. 

immediately get:

Failed to connect
libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.12:2002 for reading

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? SOOO looking forward to putting my SACDs in my nice new car stereo!

When you put the disc in, does the BDP-80FD front screen read "SACD" or "CD"? If you bought your BDP-80FD used it might have a bad laser. If the laser is bad the front screen will read "CD" when an SACD disc is inserted.

I was getting this libsacdread error until I replaced the Laser Carriage. 

It says SACD, and to confirm I just tried playing an SACD that lacks a CD layer, and it plays fine. Player appears to be NOS, manuals and paperwork all sealed up nice and brand new. Manufactured mid 2016.

Also just now, switched from WiFi to Ethernet, no change in behavior. Just gonna watch a blu-ray for now, but I SO want this to work!

If

16 hours ago, David Fell said:

I feel so close; I can almost taste it...

I've been reading this tread with great excitement, and today laid my hands on a Pioneer BDP-80FD. The instructions seem pretty clear to me. I'm on a Mac. Disabled autoplay as told. Created a static IP address on my router for the Pioneer, which can see the network. 

Inserted the USB stick, drawer opened, I put in SACD, closed it, and ran Sonore ISO2DSD. 

immediately get:

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? SOOO looking forward to putting my SACDs in my nice new car stereo!

If this were a PS3 rip, I would suggest that this "192.168.1.12:2002" might not be correct. When using the PS3 I sometimes have to correct the port number. Is there any way you can tell what the ISO2DSD is looking for and what the actual setting is on the BDP-80F are? Just speculating.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

47 minutes ago, rwwjr44 said:

If

If this were a PS3 rip, I would suggest that this "192.168.1.12:2002" might not be correct. When using the PS3 I sometimes have to correct the port number. Is there any way you can tell what the ISO2DSD is looking for and what the actual setting is on the BDP-80F are? Just speculating.

Good suggestion. I had already changed it from the default 12, and am using 192.168.1.60 on the BPD-80FD setup screen.

I also reserved that address on my router and pointed it at the BDP-80FD's MAC address. 

New thing I tried adding this morning: I went to my port forwarding setup and tried adding port forwarding for port 2002; but it didn't make any difference. Deleted my added port forwarding.  Spent about four hours on this last night fiddling with settings. Its the reason I bought the player. What else can I try?

This may be a dumb question, but did you load the software on the disk player?  For the OPPO, I place the autorun folder on a thumb (USB) drive and insert it into the USB port on the OPPO.  The OPPO executes the code in the autorun folder and goes into a state where it awaits communication from the ISO2DSD program running on your computer.

8 minutes ago, sefischer1 said:

This may be a dumb question, but did you load the software on the disk player?  For the OPPO, I place the autorun folder on a thumb (USB) drive and insert it into the USB port on the OPPO.  The OPPO executes the code in the autorun folder and goes into a state where it awaits communication from the ISO2DSD program running on your computer.

No question is dumb when I'm asking for help! Yes, the autorun folder is on a USB drive, containing the three files it's supposed to. The Pioneer seems to execute the code well enough to know it's supposed to open the drawer and await a disc, which I happily supply and close the drawer with the open/close button on the front panel. 

The Pioneer is definitely on the network. Not only can I ping it, I can use its internal browser to watch YouTube videos.

I have noticed that when I run ISO2DSD, it fails instantly; unless either:

1. The Pioneer is powered off
  2. The Pioneer is set to a different IP address than specified in ISO2DSD

In either of those cases, it takes a minute or so to time out, but I end up with the same error message, libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.16:2002 for reading (or whatever IP address I'm trying)

36 minutes ago, sefischer1 said:

Why are you attempting to specify the port?  Is this required for the BDP-80FD?  There is no such requirement for the OPPO 105D I've been successfully using.

I didn’t at first. I started by simply following the instructions. That took a short time.  Specifying the port is just one of a large number of things I’ve tried over the past half day to try to make it work. 

5 minutes ago, sefischer1 said:

But did you install the software on the BDP-80FD itself?

Perhaps that's the step I'm missing; I don't see it on the Mac instructions; other than to have the USB stick with the files at the root level inserted into the USB port on the front of the BDP-80FD. Do you mean something else, and if  so, how do I accomplish this?

It sounds like you're aware of the SACD player files on the SACD.  If you examine the USB stick contents, you should see the folder "AutoScript" which will contain 3 files:  AutoScript, AutoScript.TSS, sacd_extract

The ISO2DSD program sends requests to the SACD player to read the ISO data from the disk and send/stream it over the network to your ISO2DSD running computer, which will then save it to the disk drive.

Without the SACD half of the software, the SACD player will not know how to respond to the requests/instructions from the ISO2DSD program.

A few days ago, under this thread, I attached the PC version of IS2DSD and the autorun files as a separate attachment.

2 hours ago, sefischer1 said:

It sounds like you're aware of the SACD player files on the SACD.  If you examine the USB stick contents, you should see the folder "AutoScript" which will contain 3 files:  AutoScript, AutoScript.TSS, sacd_extract

The ISO2DSD program sends requests to the SACD player to read the ISO data from the disk and send/stream it over the network to your ISO2DSD running computer, which will then save it to the disk drive.

Without the SACD half of the software, the SACD player will not know how to respond to the requests/instructions from the ISO2DSD program.

A few days ago, under this thread, I attached the PC version of IS2DSD and the autorun files as a separate attachment.

Thank you, it's good to be on the right track.

I am not sure how to go about installing the software onto the BDP-80FD. Installing onto the player isn't mentioned in the Mac instructions that were on page 6 of this thread.

There are now 105 pages here, and I started rereading from page 1 earlier this morning, hoping to find what I'm missing.

What do I need to do other than have the USB stick with the autorun file inserted into the BPD-80FD?

45 minutes ago, David Fell said:

I am not sure how to go about installing the software onto the BDP-80FD. Installing onto the player isn't mentioned in the Mac instructions that were on page 6 of this thread.

There are now 105 pages here, and I started rereading from page 1 earlier this morning, hoping to find what I'm missing.

What do I need to do other than have the USB stick with the autorun file inserted into the BPD-80FD?

I suspect you are “installing the software” on your BDP when you load and execute the software on the USB device the proof of which is the fact that the tray opens, etc.  trying safe-extract make good sense too!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

49 minutes ago, David Fell said:

Perhaps a silly question but........................are you sure you are using the correct files for the BDP-80FD?  There are several different ones/

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile