IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

Hi May, Thank you for your fast response. Beside going thru thru the Roon route.. are there any other player solution that you recommend? From what Im reading, I don't think I can install Roon directly on the WD NAS.. Is it correct?

To run Roon on your NAS, please check this first whether your current NAS is capable to run Roon.

Roon Knowledge Base - Roon Server on NAS

Thank you very much.

Best regards, MAy

Dear May,

I have not tried to run Roon Ready on SMS200, because i haven't got the Roon server on my network. So far i have played with LMS and MPD, and the SQ seems to be different respectively. As you said that Roon can bring the best SQ on SMS200. Is it true? Plz give more recommendation to bring the best SQ on SMS200. Thanks.

Dear Welldone,

this is my personal view, I like Roon very much and I do use Roon more often than using LMS or MPD, it sounds better in my system and it is very convenient to use as well, and also I can play my Tidal(Masters now too!) through Roon. if you have a laptop to run Roon server there, please test and experience what I'm trying to explain it to you.

Thank you very much.

Best regards, MAy

Dear Welldone,

this is my personal view, I like Roon very much and I do use Roon more often than using LMS or MPD, it sounds better in my system and it is very convenient to use as well, and also I can play my Tidal(Masters now too!) through Roon. if you have a laptop to run Roon server there, please test and experience what I'm trying to explain it to you.

Thank you very much.

Best regards, MAy

I do have another question related. Will the PC platform for Roon server bring a diffrent SQ? I'm also considering to use laptop/fanless mini PC to have Roon Server on that. Have you ever tested this issue?

I do have another question related. Will the PC platform for Roon server bring a diffrent SQ? I'm also considering to use laptop/fanless mini PC to have Roon Server on that. Have you ever tested this issue?

Yes, which Roon server you are using, it effects sound. but on my desk, I'm running a small system using my laptop as a Roon server, sMS-200 as a renderer, and added 1 iSO-CAT6 between sMS-200 and a router, that's it and I'm satisfied with sound, but in my office, I'm using sMS-1000SQ as a server and occasionally use sMS-200 as a renderer and added 3 iSO-CAT6s for sMS-1000SQ side and sMS-200 side and NAS side, and there is a certain sound differences which server device you are using.

Thank you very much.Best regards, MAy

Yes, which Roon server you are using, it effects sound. but on my desk, I'm running a small system using my laptop as a Roon server, sMS-200 as a renderer, and added 1 iSO-CAT6 between sMS-200 and a router, that's it and I'm satisfied with sound, but in my office, I'm using sMS-1000SQ as a server and occasionally use sMS-200 as a renderer and added 3 iSO-CAT6s for sMS-1000SQ side and sMS-200 side and NAS side, and there is a certain sound differences which server device you are using.

Thank you very much.Best regards, MAy

Thanks for your information. I will do try to play Roon with SMS 200.

Here are my observations in my system.

Playback from storage connected directly to the sMS-200 doesn't sound good, regardless of whether it's SSD, HD, thumbdrive, etc. Good detail but no body -- it just sounds thin and not to my liking at all. It's not clear from your post if this is how you've connected your USB SSD.

This could be system dependent but LMS, especially with iPeng didn't sound very good in my system. Same thing with MPD. I own HQPlayer and have tried it but with my Chord DAVE DAC and the sMS-200 and unfortunately, HQPlayer doesn't add anything (actually sounds a bit worse). Roon is where I get my best SQ and I expect the soon to be released Roon 1.3 will sound even better.

I used to own the full Aries with femto clock and LPS option and what I am getting from my sMS-200 connected to my Paul Hynes SR7 is way better. The SBooster should be excellent also.

If you have the option to move to a Mac Mini or Windows PC server (nothing fancy necessary) that you can attach 2 ethernet ports to, you would have the option of directly connecting the server to the sMS-200 with a single ethernet cable and this should significantly elevate your SQ.

Romaz,

Did you also try UPnP/DLNA using MinimServer in your journey? How did that fare in SQ for you?

Romaz,

Did you also try UPnP/DLNA using MinimServer in your journey? How did that fare in SQ for you?

Hi Austinpop,

I'm curious about the playback chain as your signature. In which, plz tell me why you do like this ....." FMC (TP-Link MC200CM) <- MM fiber -> FMC <- Blue Jeans Cat 6a "...

Thanks,

Hi Austinpop,

I'm curious about the playback chain as your signature. In which, plz tell me why you do like this ....." FMC (TP-Link MC200CM) <- MM fiber -> FMC <- Blue Jeans Cat 6a "...

Thanks,

Hi,

This is a common form of isolation on Ethernet used by many here on CA. You put this just upstream of your audio-critical components - in my case the Aries Mini, but could be the SMS-200 - and it provides a galvanic isolation barrier by forcing a conversion from electrical to optical and back to electrical.

There are entire threads here devoted to this subject. Try these:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/overall-isolation-network-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-and-power-29916/

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/optical-network-configurations-24641/

Hi, recently I just sold my Aries Mini and bought the SMS-200. I notice that the sound of the unit is rather sub-par when compared with the Mini. I have already upgraded the power supply to using the Sbooster (9V), so I don’t think that’s the issue. I hope I have not made the wrong decision by moving over from the mini.

Not sure if the play back software is the cause. Im using the Logitec Media Server, with iPeng9 on my iPad as remote control. The music files are on a USB SSD. Is this a good connection option?

Notice from previous postings that a lot of you seems to be using the MPD option. Is this

recommended? I tried using MPad but notice that the user-interface does not

display my albums correctly and also there seem to be no way to disable the software

volume control. This will also affect the sound quality, I presume. Have not evaluated if this sounds good as Im frustrated with the UI

Appreciate your advice and suggestions on better options. I would like to still use my ipad as the remote and files are still stored on the USB drive. Thanks

The user interface of LUMIN is something that might appeal to you. Give it some time and I'm confident you'll like it. On my iPhone it has 3 levels to swipe though: library, album and song. On my iPad all is integrated into 1 page or level.

The filters are good too (level 1): by folder, artist, genre, album name etc. The cd fronts are displayed, but you can also choose a list.

IMG_2032.JPG

Here are my observations in my system.

Playback from storage connected directly to the sMS-200 doesn't sound good, regardless of whether it's SSD, HD, thumbdrive, etc. Good detail but no body -- it just sounds thin and not to my liking at all. It's not clear from your post if this is how you've connected your USB SSD.

This could be system dependent but LMS, especially with iPeng didn't sound very good in my system. Same thing with MPD. I own HQPlayer and have tried it but with my Chord DAVE DAC and the sMS-200 and unfortunately, HQPlayer doesn't add anything (actually sounds a bit worse). Roon is where I get my best SQ and I expect the soon to be released Roon 1.3 will sound even better.

I used to own the full Aries with femto clock and LPS option and what I am getting from my sMS-200 connected to my Paul Hynes SR7 is way better. The SBooster should be excellent also.

If you have the option to move to a Mac Mini or Windows PC server (nothing fancy necessary) that you can attach 2 ethernet ports to, you would have the option of directly connecting the server to the sMS-200 with a single ethernet cable and this should significantly elevate your SQ.

romaz --

Thanks for your contributions (and replies to me earlier) - I'm looking forward to try out the direct, bridged LAN-connection, and will add ROON once I have my NUC in place (my NAS is not powerful enough for this task).

A question regarding the PSU to the sMS-200: have you tried out SOtM's battery supply (or any other battery supply), and compared it to the Paul Hynes SR7 or other linear PSU's?

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

Hi everyone,

How far is it necessary to go in the optimisation process of the PC/Mac which is used as a server, when using an SOtM sMS-200 ? Is there still value in having a fanless PC, with a LPSU or, given the design of the sMS-200, is a standard PC/Mac convenient enough ?

Thanks in advance.

romaz --

Thanks for your contributions (and replies to me earlier) - I'm looking forward to try out the direct, bridged LAN-connection, and will add ROON once I have my NUC in place (my NAS is not powerful enough for this task).

A question regarding the PSU to the sMS-200: have you tried out SOtM's battery supply (or any other battery supply), and compared it to the Paul Hynes SR7 or other linear PSU's?

Sure. I hope you succeed with the bridged connection.

Between my sMS-200 and my microRendu, I have tried the iFI 9V, a 9V Li-ion battery with switching regulators, Teradak 12V, HDPlex 9V, the LPS-1 and the Paul Hynes SR7. Paul Hynes is making another SR7 for me that will be double regulated and will have line rejection as high as 150dB which he insists will make an audible improvement with the sMS-200 when compared against his standard SR7 as it will reject not only mains noise but also noise that the PSU itself creates (rectification noise) much more effectively. We'll see.

I have not had the privilege of trying SOtM's mBPS-d2s. I'm sure it's excellent. I'm sure Vinnie Rossi's Mini Pure DC-4-EVR is also very good. I have heard good things about the SBooster from trusted sources. Same thing about Teddy Pardo's supplies. I have not heard the Sonore Signature but having spoken to Barrows about the detail that went into this supply, I'm sure it's excellent. I'm sure the JS2 is very good although John Swenson has already suggested his LPS-1 is better. I have custom LPSUs made by Paul Pang and Kenneth Lau and they are also very good compared to the stock switchers they replaced but they are for other applications and not for the sMS-200 or mR.

I had assumed that with all the talk about leakage current that a battery supply would sound best but I have not found that to necessarily be the case, at least not in my system. For example, my 9V Li-Ion supply is only barely better than the iFi 9V. What is interesting is that when I compared my LPS-1 against this 9V Li-Ion battery supply, the LPS-1 trounced it and so even though neither of these supplies are connected to ground and neither create leakage current, it was clear to me that with a low impedance device like the sMS-200 or mR, a low output impedance PSU was a much more important parameter.

I found the SR7 superior to all of the supplies I have heard for either of these NAAs and not by a small margin. The LPS-1 came second and everything else a distant third. I have found the LPS-1 to be easily the best value of the group but it's difficult to ignore just how the SR7 has transformed not just my sMS-200 and mR but also my Mac Mini and modem/router. It's not just about low noise (~5uV) but also about extremely low output impedance (<3 milliohms from DC to 100kHz), supply line rejection (80dB standard, 150dB with double regulation), transient response (<100 nanoseconds), settling time (<100 nanoseconds) and extremely high transient current delivery of >30A. I am open to something better but having asked around, no one seems to be able to provide any specs beyond ripple noise either because they don't own adequate measuring equipment or they don't believe these other specs are important but to my ears and in my system, I have not heard anything more transformative. Bass impact, bass control and definition, dynamic contrasts (both macro and micro) and soundstage are all very significantly improved.

Hi everyone,

How far is it necessary to go in the optimisation process of the PC/Mac which is used as a server, when using an SOtM sMS-200 ? Is there still value in having a fanless PC, with a LPSU or, given the design of the sMS-200, is a standard PC/Mac convenient enough ?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I have very much found this to be the case but only if you power both the sMS-200 and your music server with a good PSU. With the stock switching PSU that comes with the sMS-200, it's much tougher to distinguish one upstream source from another. With a good low impedance PSU driving the sMS-200, differences among sources are much better appreciated. If you then put a good PSU to your source, this is what tends to really elevate that source over another. I believe good power is foundational to any good system.

In reply to Swisher: I think it is not very important unless you make a direct connection to the SMS200. Otherwise you can better put money in a good power supply for the SMS200 (Lps-1?), then improve your network with isolator or optical network, then better power for the network device that is connected to the SMS200 or the isolator.

I had assumed that with all the talk about leakage current that a battery supply would sound best but I have not found that to necessarily be the case, at least not in my system. For example, my 9V Li-Ion supply is only barely better than the iFi 9V. What is interesting is that when I compared my LPS-1 against this 9V Li-Ion battery supply, the LPS-1 trounced it and so even though neither of these supplies are connected to ground and neither create leakage current, it was clear to me that with a low impedance device like the sMS-200 or mR, a low output impedance PSU was a much more important parameter.

Batteries have their own intrinsic noise profile which can even increase greatly under a load such as a DAC.

I found the SR7 superior to all of the supplies I have heard for either of these NAAs and not by a small margin.

I have found the LPS-1 to be easily the best value of the group but it's difficult to ignore just how the SR7 has transformed not just my sMS-200 and mR but also my Mac Mini and modem/router. It's not just about low noise (~5uV) but also about extremely low output impedance (<3 milliohms from DC to 100kHz), supply line rejection (80dB standard, 150dB with double regulation), transient response (<100 nanoseconds), settling time (<100 nanoseconds) and extremely high transient current delivery of >30A.

These are great specs, noise and impedance could be better although how much is audible with these better specs, I still have to determine in my system.

I am open to something better but having asked around, no one seems to be able to provide any specs beyond ripple noise either because they don't own adequate measuring equipment or they don't believe these other specs are important but to my ears and in my system, I have not heard anything more transformative. Bass impact, bass control and definition, dynamic contrasts (both macro and micro) and soundstage are all very significantly improved.

It's actually not a simple affair to measure properly when you get to really great spec territory. A properly set up simulation of the circuit can give an idea, although here there are three caveats:

- The circuit sim is merely an approximation of what occurs in reality

- Its accuracy is highly dependent on how the circuit sim is built (e.g. modeling parasitics, accuracy of the components)

- It may not model all the phenomena that become important in the build, especially the physical layout and actual implementation

At these specs, the layout itself and the grounding implementation can have really large effects.

Those universal PSUs can be very good, but one can get better SQ with Regs tailored to each sub-system, not really a trivial affair.

I get way, way better noise specs and output impedance over that same range in my latest design (simulated, as yet untested, so the usual caveats apply).

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32356[/ATTACH]

4 pcs ultracap psu,without noisy ldo.Any question?

Good job, @hurka.

Question: is adding an LDO after these systematically bad in your opinion, and if so, why?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Batteries have their own intrinsic noise profile which can even increase greatly under a load such as a DAC.

These are great specs, noise and impedance could be better although how much is audible with these better specs, I still have to determine in my system.

It's actually not a simple affair to measure properly when you get to really great spec territory. A properly set up simulation of the circuit can give an idea, although here there are three caveats:

- The circuit sim is merely an approximation of what occurs in reality

- Its accuracy is highly dependent on how the circuit sim is built (e.g. modeling parasitics, accuracy of the components)

- It may not model all the phenomena that become important in the build, especially the physical layout and actual implementation

At these specs, the layout itself and the grounding implementation can have really large effects.

Those universal PSUs can be very good, but one can get better SQ with Regs tailored to each sub-system, not really a trivial affair.

I get way, way better noise specs and output impedance over that same range in my latest design (simulated, as yet untested, so the usual caveats apply).

Would love to know more about your PSU, especially your output impedance measurements as I have yet to have anyone show me measurements that are consistently better over such a broad frequency range. Even the output impedance of Vinnie Rossi's ultracap supply for his LIO is 6x worse than the SR7. Like I said, I'm always open to anything better but it's extremely rare that people can provide measurements. My thinking is how do you really know how good your PSU is unless you can measure it? As we know, putting together high-quality components doesn't always lead to something that is better. Careful design and implementation is more important. Of course, it comes down to how something sounds compared to another and I am just blown away by the SR7. I have never heard a gap so large. As stated, I will be getting a double regulated SR7 soon and I'll see how that one compares.

Hi Giuseppe, nice to know you through this chance :)

Tidal is also available through Squeezelite function on sMS-200 by using ickStream plugin, please check here.

http://www.sotm-audio.com/files/Advanced/sMS-200/ickStream%20App%20installation%20on%20LMS.pdf?a241e7

Right now, we don't have a plan to add the software for Tidal to sMS-200, but we could consider adding the software if it is necessarily needed without using additional software integration, can I ask what special reason you would like to add the software for Tidal??

Thank you!

Best regards, MAy

Ciao May,

First of all many thanks for your kind answers.

I have installed the plug in as you indicated but the authentication with Tital is not working, after login/password a blank page is displayed (site is not reachable). Do you have a solution?

The reason to have the Tidal integration without Roon and without any additional software is a matter of practicality. In case I just need Tital I can turn off the NAS and use SMS200 only in DLNA Mode.

Now I see the error in Linn Kazoo: "Tidal is not available. Your DS needs to be running Davaar 23 or later"