IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

hi folks but which are the right voltage ?! 6v 9v 12v or 14v ?!and the best PSU ?i use this spectacular gear with my dac TOTALDAC plus the Reclock and the improvement is very marked!

I'm using the 12V sbooster BOTW eco ultra right now (set for 13.2V with the extra 1.2V are consumed by the active electronics of the ultra add-on) and the results are very pleasing in all areas: better bass, smoother treble, depth and separation.

I only compared against the stock smps and the 12V i-fi i-power I had bought before trying the sbooster and the sbooster was clearly better.

The i-fi now powers my router, where it does a tremendous job blocking noise, as that can also make a difference, believe it or not...

Sbooster have also mentioned that 12V is the preferable voltage, attributing that to sotm's internal regulator design, if I understood correctly.

I also plan on buying sotm's own power supply when that comes out, which has variable voltages so maybe we can compare the different voltages and see if that makes a difference as well.

Soon I hope...

I'm using a Mytek Brooklyn with my SMS200 and playing out from Roon Server 1.3 on a Mac Mini to Roon Ready on the SMS200. I am unable to get Native DSD to work. DSD 256 is being converted to PCM. With the SMS200 set to Native I am still seeing the DOP options in Roon.

The SMS is on latest firmware 3.3 and is set to DSD Native. All volume controls and DSP are turned off. I have been in touch with SoTM and they have not suggested anything that works yet.

Anyone with a similar setup able to get Native to work.

Did you turn off the DSP engine in Roon? Mine works fine in native DSD also using Roon 1.3 and sMS-200 v0.3.3. Note that with v0.3.3, the defaults changed to DOP in sMS-200 so you might want to double check your settings again there. I am using a Arch Linux server for Roon Core and LH Labs Infinity for DAC. The DAC display is showing correctly as DSD256:

2017-02-07 20_09_28-XnView - [2017-02-07 19_59_41-Roon.png].png

The only problem I can see is it doesn't show the holy grail light but it works fine as it is.

I'm using a Mytek Brooklyn with my SMS200 and playing out from Roon Server 1.3 on a Mac Mini to Roon Ready on the SMS200. I am unable to get Native DSD to work. DSD 256 is being converted to PCM. With the SMS200 set to Native I am still seeing the DOP options in Roon.

The SMS is on latest firmware 3.3 and is set to DSD Native. All volume controls and DSP are turned off. I have been in touch with SoTM and they have not suggested anything that works yet.

Anyone with a similar setup able to get Native to work.

Thanks.

Good news this problem is now solved and DSD 256 Native is working correctly!I have been on a TeamViewer session with SoTM. They found that a file was missing from the last few updates and the DSD rate and mode were not being set correctly, This should be corrected in the next update, V3.4. Presumably this only affected the Brooklyn.I must say the customer service from SoTM was excellent.Ian

wow @tedwoods

it's very interested info !

Now I bought a power supply SOTM mBPS-d2s!incredible increase of musicality than the standard power supply and also the best HDPLEX 100

Try the UpTone Audio LPS-1 - it is much better than the SOtM battery PSU.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Would it make sense for Uptone to develop a custom board for sms-200?

I mean, one would remove sotm's DC-DC board and screw in something like LPS-1 based, but with fixed voltage to remove LPS-1's DC-DC and fully get rid of DC-DC in the path.

It seems there's enough space in the sms-200 case to accommodate it.

Vinnie Rossi LIO (AVC/Tubestage, AMP Module with built in HPF 100Hz 24dB/octave, DAC 2.0), Harbeth P3ESR, Rythmik F8

Win10 i7-7700 -> Roon -> HQPlayer DSD512- > LIO 100Hz HPF -> Harbeth P3ESR

->LIO  -> miniDSP <100Hz -> Rythmik F8  

Would it make sense for Uptone to develop a custom board for sms-200?

I mean, one would remove sotm's DC-DC board and screw in something like LPS-1 based, but with fixed voltage to remove LPS-1's DC-DC and fully get rid of DC-DC in the path.

It seems there's enough space in the sms-200 case to accommodate it.

This is an interesting thought but it would depend on who is using the better regulator. There is a benefit to cascading regulators in terms of improving line noise rejection and so removing a voltage regulator from the path would only make sense if you are removing a regulator of lower quality.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2017 at 9:28 AM, ducatirider said:

Just experimenting. I have an original Xiaomi Mi 10400 mAh power bank. I can't get it to power the SMS-200. Anyone have pointers?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I gather your power supply is only 5 volt.

The SMS-200 needs a minimum of 6.5 volts and maximum of 14 volts.

I run mine from a 12 volt car battery and it works a treat! 

2 hours ago, MayfromSOtM said:

Today got another excellent review too, please check here too!

https://audiobacon.net/2017/03/23/sotm-sms-200-mbps-d2s-review/

Thank you for this.  I have pretty much decided to the SMS-200 with the upgraded clocks as soon as it comes out.  

Question, will the firmware be upgraded to support playing native DSD through my Singxer SU-1.  I know the patch was done about a month ago and is available on github now.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

The review is not mentioning DSD512 support which might be missleading.

Vinnie Rossi LIO (AVC/Tubestage, AMP Module with built in HPF 100Hz 24dB/octave, DAC 2.0), Harbeth P3ESR, Rythmik F8

The big issue I see with the new SMS-200 Ultra is that it probably won't work with an LPS-1.  That makes an alternative good power supply a bit spendy.  Might be a better idea to go with a full clocking board and it's own LPS-1?   Will they offer the SMS-200 Ultra modified for the separate clocking board, s-CLK EX.  Then you could probably run an LPS-1 on the non clocked SMS-200 Ultra??

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

34 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Thank you for this.  I have pretty much decided to the SMS-200 with the upgraded clocks as soon as it comes out.  

Question, will the firmware be upgraded to support playing native DSD through my Singxer SU-1.  I know the patch was done about a month ago and is available on github now.

Yes, same question re Amanero combo384 USB card (https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd)

1 minute ago, sbilotta said:

Yes, same question re Amanero combo384 USB card (https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd)

@MayfromSOtM can you pls confirm if the SMS-200 Ultra firmware will be patched to allow native DSD playback to the most recent devices listed on the github link above?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

It would be great if Uptone came out with dedicated sms-200 board. In fact, there's enough space in the sms-200 case to keep it all in one case.

As of now, I guess one could put two LPS-1 in series and make it work.