IGNORED

Bluesound Node 2

That's more than fair, WAM. I was not personally familiar with the DAC30 prior to your post, however, I have now since looked into it, and you are absolutely correct. Comparing an all-in-one device such as the Vault with a stand-alone component in that price range would not be apples to apples. Again, I certainly appreciate your insight, nonetheless.

I look forward to Bongo's impressions, as we are currently using the same DAC.

So I switched out the Schiit dac in favor of the internal DAC in the Bluesound Node 2.

There is a definite difference. Is it better? That is completely subjective. It seems to have more extreme punch, whereas maybe the Schiit sounds a bit smoother. The Bluesound dac, linked by RCA to Parasound zpre preamp running Audioengine hd 6 powered speakers, seems to have more deep bass.

Thanks to the preamp, I can easily switch between the Schiit and the internal DAC.

Options options.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

The Dac in my peachtree Nova Pre is going on (ESS 9006 Sabre chip) is going on 7-8 years old now. The DAC chip may have been around much longer than that. It would not surprise me that the newer dac in the Bluesound outperforms my Peachtree. Both are considered "consumer grade" components, so probably not much difference until one goes further up the DAC quality food chain.

The Dac in my peachtree Nova Pre is going on (ESS 9006 Sabre chip) is going on 7-8 years old now. The DAC chip may have been around much longer than that. It would not surprise me that the newer dac in the Bluesound outperforms my Peachtree. Both are considered "consumer grade" components, so probably not much difference until one goes further up the DAC quality food chain.

The Bluesound dac may be consumer grade, but my Schiit Modi multibit dac is certainly not. Yet, overall, the Bluesound dac may sound better on MQA releases.

Apparently, Schiit is not jumping on the MQA bandwagon for their own reasons. That is disappointing, and may change. I hope.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Hi Chilledbongo,

Did you find full MQA via Bluesound dac out aother nice improvement over the Schiit, you still get partial MQA via coax out from the Bluesound into the Schiit.

I dont have rca to xlr adaptors to try on my node 2 the full MQA out, but partial is a nice big step.

• 2 weeks later...

I was traveling when I read this thread and decided to buy the Bluesound. Now home and ready to go, some questions. I was going to go for the Vault to make cd ripping easy. I do have several good cd players, Line Magnetic 215, Audiolab 8200CDQ, and Rega Apollo, and may upgrade my old Oppo to a 103 or 105. I wonder if one of these could be easily connected to rip to the Node 2 instead of getting the Vault 2?

I was traveling when I read this thread and decided to buy the Bluesound. Now home and ready to go, some questions. I was going to go for the Vault to make cd ripping easy. I do have several good cd players, Line Magnetic 215, Audiolab 8200CDQ, and Rega Apollo, and may upgrade my old Oppo to a 103 or 105. I wonder if one of these could be easily connected to rip to the Node 2 instead of getting the Vault 2?

You cannot connect a CD player directly to a Node, and besides the Vault includes a NAS drive for storage which the Node doesn't have. If you get a Node you would rip CDs on a networked PC and access the ripped files over the network. The Vault is another product entirely, which provides direct ripping and storage capability.

You cannot connect a CD player directly to a Node, and besides the Vault includes a NAS drive for storage which the Node doesn't have. If you get a Node you would rip CDs on a networked PC and access the ripped files over the network. The Vault is another product entirely, which provides direct ripping and storage capability.

Fabulous, just what I am looking for. The simple solution for me. Cheers.

I was ready to buy and talked to a dealer (Portland, OR) and learned that the Vault does not have wifi. It has to be hardwired which is not convenient for me without installing a new wifi modem at the hifi.

Bluesound support:

Why does the Bluesound Vault and VAULT 2 not include Wi-Fi?

The Bluesound Vault and VAULT 2 can only be connected to your network by a wired Ethernet connection. Since the VAULT (2) is not only a Player but doubles as a reliable Network Attached Storage device for all of our other Players, Bluesound ensures it is always ready for the networking task of streaming high quality FLAC files it has encoded when it rips your CD collection.

The VAULT (2) does not have a wireless network card and will never enter Hotspot Mode.

The VAULT (2) network card is fully compliant and will work with most Powerline Ethernet Kits or Wireless Media Bridges to make installation location more flexible. Contact your Bluesound Authorized Dealer or the BluOS Support Crew to help recommend a solution for you.

So the search for a simple solution continues.

I'm contemplating a Powernode system where the "final destination" of all my components is the Powernode.

I'm curious if any Bluesound Node or Powernode users have tried using the mini optical input to integrate other devices?

Also, is the volume control easily accessible from the device, or do you have to use the mobile app?

Bluesound Node 2-->LFD LE Mk V-->HSU VTF-1 Subwoofer (via high-level inputs)-->Harbeth P3ESR

Also, is the volume control easily accessible from the device, or do you have to use the mobile app?

volume up and down are accessible on top of the unit.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
I was ready to buy and talked to a dealer (Portland, OR) and learned that the Vault does not have wifi. It has to be hardwired which is not convenient for me without installing a new wifi modem at the hifi.

Can't you put the Vault near your existing router and copy to it files ripped from a more convenient location such as a laptop:

https://support.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/articles/200387457-Accessing-the-Bluesound-Vault-s-Internal-Storage-From-a-Computer

Hard to argue it's not a good idea to wire your server.

While in the shower it occured to me that I'd probably misunderstood your use case: you want the Vault near your hi-fi so you can use its analog/digital output. Ok, so here's another idea: put the Vault where you want and use a pair of Powerline adapters to "wire" it to your existing router.

TP-Link AV200 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 200Mbps (TL-PA2010KIT)

While in the shower it occured to me that I'd probably misunderstood your use case: you want the Vault near your hi-fi so you can use its analog/digital output. Ok, so here's another idea: put the Vault where you want and use a pair of Powerline adapters to "wire" it to your existing router.

TP-Link AV200 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 200Mbps (TL-PA2010KIT)

Thanks so much for the input. I emailed a Bluesound dealer who suggested this which seems to be what you recommend:

"Ethernet over AC adapters are used to send ethernet signals from one place to another in your home using your house's electrical wiring as the conduit, instead of ethernet cabling."

Your link makes it clear exactly what that is. That would probably work here but when I move the wifi is next door. It seems the simple solution would be to move the internet connection to my own cabin. Really that will be the thing to do.

Couldn't you setup an older router as an access point and place it near the vault?

I don't know. If that works a new one is practical. So if I move the primary router to the hifi and put a booster for the computer if it needs it.

Thanks for the education. I do read a lot but there are so many solutions that it is overwhelming. I started all over again looking at:

Auralic

Naim

Cyrus

Cambridge

Sony

Olive

Meridian

etc.

So that is a whole other thread comparing all the choices. Not for the Bluesound Node thread. Cheers.

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone else notice the volume level of the analog out to be very low. No EQ.

compared to to coax out the level is at least 10db lower.

shame cuz I only get 96k out of coax but it sounds better in my system.

i may return it as I can't get native MQA without really cranking the volume up

Nice!

Also looking forward to your impressions. 

Do not forget to make backups!  

It is not a bad idea to use proper tagging software (I use Tag Editor). If you have a decent library, you will need to maintain your metadata. It makes the use of the Vault a lot more enjoyable.

Kind Regards, WAM

WAM thanks, I forgot about backing up. I had an Apple Airport Time Capsule on the old Mac that retired at OS7. I wonder if it will work on the new network. If not,1- I could get a new one but since it is automatic and wireless it backs up your whole computer etc. 2-I also have a Lacie Fuel wireless back up hard disc for my new iMac, that is simpler to use. 3d would be to get a real dedicated NAS for the music only. 

I think you will need an 2TB external (USB)drive for your backup. 

In my system the Vault doubles as a NAS, works great (MacBook Pro -> Audirvana ->DacMagic Plus -> rHead -> ATH w1000z).

You should do a search on bluesound.com for the possibilities.

Kind Regards, WAM

1 hour ago, WAM said:

-> rHead -> ATH w1000z).

Wam- Thanks. OK, I like the idea of a music NAS for backup and would be convenient for downloading and even burning LPs to the system.

what is the rHead and ATH?

Do I understand that to mean headphone amp and headphones?

You are using the Vault just for headphones? Or additionally to the home hifi, to add headphones?

I have a Heed Headphone amp on my Sonneteer Orton Integrated amp. Do you recommend an additional DAC on that?