IGNORED

Bluesound Node 2

The software is in principle capable of decoding further. I was curious as to whether it actually does.

As I understand it when using the analog outputs of the Node 2 you would get full resolution up to 192kHz from the internal DAC with MQA files, but the digital output with MQA is limited to 96kHz from what I've read. Might be more detail (which could prove me wrong!) on the Bluesound forums.

As I understand it when using the analog outputs of the Node 2 you would get full resolution up to 192kHz from the internal DAC with MQA files, but the digital output with MQA is limited to 96kHz from what I've read. Might be more detail (which could prove me wrong!) on the Bluesound forums.

The firmware image contains ALSA configuration files for using the MQA renderer with the digital output. That doesn't mean the higher level software actually uses it though.

The firmware image contains ALSA configuration files for using the MQA renderer with the digital output. That doesn't mean the higher level software actually uses it though.

Looks like you're way ahead of me on this issue, but I'd respectfully suggest that your best chance to get a definitive answer would be on the Bluesound product forum.

This is also what Bluesound has stated numerous times on their forums. Unfolding to any rate above 24/96 is only done in MQA-certified DACs.

• 2 weeks later...
I am going to give the Vault a try. I need the most simple gear since I don't do digital. I don't know a gig from a bite. I do have a lot of cd's to transfer. I also use Tidal which is my first online music experience.

Good luck with the Vault. I hope you'll share your experience with us after you give it a spin.

Same here. I've been debating this purchase for the last little while here as well, and I'd love to hear some more personal experiences with it...thanks!

I am actually listening to it now...

I use my Vault as a NAS (MacBook Pro -> CA DacMagic +/Acam rHead -> AT woodies) or as front end (Vault/Primare DAC30 -> Stax 006tS/SR 507).

The Vault is pretty good as it is, but it benefits from a good outboard DAC (and good interlinks).

I have ripped my cd collection to the Vault. It works fine. The user interface is good, but not great (I listen to classical, jazz and whatever I like, now listening to Townes van Zandt). It is certainly no Audirvana. It's weakness is classical music, and, a little less weaker, jazz (you can not select one concerto in one go, you have to select the different pieces of the concerto separately).

The headphone amp is decent (again: it is good, but no match for a quality outboard amp).

But I can live with it. In the end, it is a versatile, user friendly piece of kit, with a good sq of its own (and easily upgradable). I think the price/quality ratio is hard to beat. I like it quite a lot.

Another bonus: the BS Helpdesk is very good (after all, it is software and a kind of computer...).

Greets, WAM

It's weakness is classical music, and, a little less weaker, jazz (you can not select one concerto in one go, you have to select the different pieces of the concerto separately).

This sounds like a tagging issue. Each movement should have the same ARTIST and ALBUM tag and sequential TRACK numbers. Use the TITLE tag to identify the particular movement, e.g. "I. Adagio".

Just scroll to ARTIST > ALBUM, and play.

I have a node 2 purchased specifically to try MQA via tidal streaming and it is very, very good into a Esoteric dac.

For those into Tidal streaming, it passes upto 96khz into my non MQA dac and there is a nice difference over MQA. Certainly more than the price of this little unit.

Doing some testing, the hardware MQA v using tidal exclusive mode has shown there is another small but noticeable improvement using the Node 2 to decode MQA partially.

I have not tried full MQA as i need xlr connections.

I am actually listening to it now...

I use my Vault as a NAS (MacBook Pro -> CA DacMagic +/Acam rHead -> AT woodies) or as front end (Vault/Primare DAC30 -> Stax 006tS/SR 507).

The Vault is pretty good as it is, but it benefits from a good outboard DAC (and good interlinks).

I have ripped my cd collection to the Vault. It works fine. The user interface is good, but not great (I listen to classical, jazz and whatever I like, now listening to Townes van Zandt). It is certainly no Audirvana. It's weakness is classical music, and, a little less weaker, jazz (you can not select one concerto in one go, you have to select the different pieces of the concerto separately).

The headphone amp is decent (again: it is good, but no match for a quality outboard amp).

But I can live with it. In the end, it is a versatile, user friendly piece of kit, with a good sq of its own (and easily upgradable). I think the price/quality ratio is hard to beat. I like it quite a lot.

Another bonus: the BS Helpdesk is very good (after all, it is software and a kind of computer...).

Greets, WAM

Thank you, kindly, for the detailed info. I think, at this point, I might just think about hanging onto what I've got. I unfortunately can't say that I've got the luxury of spending $1200 on a mere "transport" that is going to benefit greatly from another DAC. I was personally viewing this as an "all-in-one" proposition towards eliminating a great many wires and extraneous boxes in my increasingly cramped apartment. I'm using a Schitt multi-bit Modi, at present. If the DAC of the BS Vault is a lateral move, or, worse yet, a step backwards, I'm not sure I'd make the switch, as I'm not really interested in going optical out.

All that said, I really appreciate your insight.

Hello,

I did not say the DAC built in the Vault sounds bad, I just wanted to explain that the Vault sounds much better with the DAC30 (considering he price of a DAC30, is is not a fair comparison with the dac of the Vault).

I have never heard the Schiit-stuff (seems to be pretty good...). Perhaps you should try a demo of a Vault, and let your ears decide. I think you will be pleasantly suprised.

Greets, WAM

Hi guys,

Recently purchased a Chord Mojo which I've connected to my Naim Nait XS amp so I can listen to TIDAL HiFi. Source is android tablet via usb.

Not using it for headphone use, purely as a DAC tucked away behind my amp.

However, wondering if I should've purchased a dedicated streamer like the bluesound node 2 instead? Especially as the Node can now fully decode MQA files.

Has anyone listened to both the node 2 and MOJO who can comment on what gets the best use out of TIDAL?

Innuos Zenith MK2, Innuos Phoenix USB re-clocker, KEF LS50 active speakers

When Tidal released its initial batch of MQA masters, listening via Bluenode through Schiit multi bit Modi DAC coax was a true revelation to my ears. I have listened to nothing else since. Going back to normal Tidal streaming of cd quality files, even modern current releases, is a serious step backwards in Sq, to me at least.

Now, I read that the Node 2s internal DAC can do an even better job if connected by RCA. So I'm eager to give that a shot.

The real problem is the MQA stuff is spoiling me for anything else, and the first batch on Tidal is a really weird mishmash of oddball selections, short on classical and jazz. Plus there seems to be no dedicated search on Tidal of its MQA stuff.

Does anyone know what the plans are for more MQA content and when?

Meanwhile, anyone contemplating a Node 2 for Tidal streaming should do so. I've found it all rock solid and only getting better and better.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

When Tidal released its initial batch of MQA masters, listening via Bluenode through Schiit multi bit Modi DAC coax was a true revelation to my ears. I have listened to nothing else since. Going back to normal Tidal streaming of cd quality files, even modern current releases, is a serious step backwards in Sq, to me at least.

Now, I read that the Node 2s internal DAC can do an even better job if connected by RCA. So I'm eager to give that a shot.

The real problem is the MQA stuff is spoiling me for anything else, and the first batch on Tidal is a really weird mishmash of oddball selections, short on classical and jazz. Plus there seems to be no dedicated search on Tidal of its MQA stuff.

Does anyone know what the plans are for more MQA content and when?

Meanwhile, anyone contemplating a Node 2 for Tidal streaming should do so. I've found it all rock solid and only getting better and better.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Bongo, as stated above, I'm also using a multi-bit modi. Have you done any comparisons with the internal dac of the node, by any chance? Thanks!

BTW - Word from MQA is that Universal and Sony should be signed on by Spring.

Hello,

I did not say the DAC built in the Vault sounds bad, I just wanted to explain that the Vault sounds much better with the DAC30 (considering he price of a DAC30, is is not a fair comparison with the dac of the Vault).

I have never heard the Schiit-stuff (seems to be pretty good...). Perhaps you should try a demo of a Vault, and let your ears decide. I think you will be pleasantly suprised.

Greets, WAM

That's more than fair, WAM. I was not personally familiar with the DAC30 prior to your post, however, I have now since looked into it, and you are absolutely correct. Comparing an all-in-one device such as the Vault with a stand-alone component in that price range would not be apples to apples. Again, I certainly appreciate your insight, nonetheless.

I look forward to Bongo's impressions, as we are currently using the same DAC.