IGNORED

Bluesound Node 2

Regarding the Vault: I am not shore you can use a NAS for backup. And why would you? You can use the Vault as a NAS (it was the main reason I bought it).

If you want to backup the Vault, you need an external USB-drive. 

You can use the Vault with headphones, it has a pretty decent headphone amp. I do not use it as such (for the simple reason I use a Stax headphone in our main system).

The rHead is a headphone amp (Arcam, a pretty good one imho, great sound, superb built quality, a joy to use), ath: Audio Technica headphone (a "woody", as the afficionado's say..).

I am not familiar with a Sonneteer amp, so I can not commend on that. I am afraid it is a bit try and error, but that is part of the fun 9_9.

The only thing I can say is, that using a good external DAC can bring huge improvements.

> Do not forget to enjoy the music, that what it is all about.

Kind Regards, WAM

Thanks Wam:

"...If you want to backup the Vault, you need an external USB-drive..."

So the backup is not part of the network. Just a hard disc, not a "NAS" network attatched storage except being connected to the Vault by USB?

Headphone amp, great, I didn't even see it as I was focused on the back connections. So that eliminates the need for the outboard headphone amp. I can move that to the bedroom where the Rega BrioR has no headphone. I am always interested in headphone and amp recommendations. 

The Sonneteer Orton is just a great integrated amp that I plan to keep until they pry it from my cold dead fingers.  A guy was installing a new outside window in my house and he suddenly stopped, walked over to the hifi music, listened a while and said wow, that is the best stereo he ever heard.  It is Penaudio Cenya speakers on stands with a sub (which I only use occasionally  to rock out) and a Line Magnetic LM215 cd player. So the Vault may complete the system. 

I plan to get a good DAC one of these days for another system set up so I will be able to compare it to the Vault at my leisure. 

Yes, the music is the thing!

Thanks for the input. Kevin

I'm thinking of getting a Node 2 to connect to my Kef LS50 wireless speakers.

The speakers connect to my TV by optical and I also stream to them using airplay or music apps from apple tv.

I would want to connect the TV to the Node 2 by optical.  It looks like there is another optical I can use to connect to the speakers or would I use RCA?

Also how would MQA via Tidal work in this scenario?  I'm sure the Node 2 DAC is good but the DAC/AMP in the Kefs has to be better so I'm not clear which DAC gets used in general and especially with Tidal unfolding?

Does it depend on how the Node 2 is connected to the Kefs?

Just now, Melvin said:

The Node 2 has both optical in and out. Optical out to your speakers would bypass the onboard DAC in the Node 2 and Tidal MQA unfolding would max out at 24/96. RCA out to your speakers would utilize the onboard MQA-certified DAC in the Node 2 and Tidal MQA files would unfold to 24/192. As to which DAC sounds better .. try both and decide. Still love my Node 2 after almost a year. 

Thank you very much.  That's about what I thought after reading this thread but the confirmation is very helpful.  Picking up a Node 2 today :-)

I've been listening to MQA via a Meridian Explorer 2 connected to my MacBook Pro and love it :-)

I even connected the Meridian Explorer 2 to the RCA outputs on the Kef's and it sounded amazing but that's kind of a clunky way to do it.

7 minutes ago, DarwinOSX said:

Thank you very much.  That's about what I thought after reading this thread but the confirmation is very helpful.  Picking up a Node 2 today :-)

I've been listening to MQA via a Meridian Explorer 2 connected to my MacBook Pro and love it :-)

I even connected the Meridian Explorer 2 to the RCA outputs on the Kef's and it sounded amazing but that's kind of a clunky way to do it.

Nice! I hope you enjoy the Node 2 as much as I do. That Meridian Explorer 2 should still prove interesting for comparison with the Node 2 (despite the clunkiness). I hope you report back here .. your insight will be most welcomed.

Just now, Melvin said:

Nice! I hope you enjoy the Node 2 as much as I do. That Meridian Explorer 2 should still prove interesting for comparison with the Node 2 (despite the clunkiness). I hope you report back here .. your insight will be most welcomed.

I definitely will. Kef said they are looking into MQA and Soon for these speakers but who know if that will really happen.  MQA seems more likely to me than Roon.

I was just looking at your web page.  Would you connect a SPIDF purifier to both optical if I end up using both of them?  

One thing I didn't mention is that I have a lot of FLAC files on a Synology NAS.  My sources are Pandora, Apple Music and iTunes from Apple TV connected to TV, Flac files, and Tidal.

It looks like using a Node 2 with the Kefs would give me both Roon and MQA with these speakers which would be amazing :-)  These are some really great speakers and even the higher bit rate Pandora sounds surprisingly good on them much less lossless files.

11 minutes ago, DarwinOSX said:

I definitely will. Kef said they are looking into MQA and Soon for these speakers but who know if that will really happen.  MQA seems more likely to me than Roon.

I was just looking at your web page.  Would you connect a SPIDF purifier to both optical if I end up using both of them?  

One thing I didn't mention is that I have a lot of FLAC files on a Synology NAS.  My sources are Pandora, Apple Music and iTunes from Apple TV connected to TV, Flac files, and Tidal.

It looks like using a Node 2 with the Kefs would give me both Roon and MQA with these speakers which would be amazing :-)  These are some really great speakers and even the higher bit rate Pandora sounds surprisingly good on them much less lossless files.

Well, I like what the SPIDF iPurifier brings to the mix (especially for optical) so perhaps trying 1 out first to determine if you hear a difference would be a prudent way of approaching it. 

In regards to Apple Music and Pandora I hope you realize neither are "built-in" to the Bluesound platform. When I use Pandora, for example, I connect to my Node 2 via bluetooth from my iPad or iPhone. AND just so you're aware, Apple's AirPlay is not supported! FLAC files aren't a problem (I use FLAC uncompressed). 

More info here: https://helpdesk.bluesound.com/discussions/

Just now, DarwinOSX said:

Yes I am aware of that thanks.  I have a Samsung TV with the full One Connect box with four HDMI ports and one has a 4th gen Apple TV connected to it so I would airplay to that or just use the Apple Music or Pandora app from the Apple TV.

Great .. just wanted to point it out. There is always a work-around, no? Enjoy your new toy.

4 hours ago, audio.bill said:

The Vault requires a hardwired Ethernet connection but the Node can be setup to operate via WiFi.

Thanks. That would be simpller to add wireless streaming to another room than other methods. I considered DAC/Airport Express but the cost would be equal to getting a $400 DAC including interconnect cable as the Airport is $100. Plus the Node would be 1 box no interconnect.

2 hours ago, BilboAlaska said:

Thanks. That would be simpller to add wireless streaming to another room than other methods. I considered DAC/Airport Express but the cost would be equal to getting a $400 DAC including interconnect cable as the Airport is $100. Plus the Node would be 1 box no interconnect.

The Node has some other advantages as well, in that it supports hi-res PCM playback up to 24/192 as well as MQA decoding which is a benefit if you plan on streaming with Tidal. I don't care to get into a debate here about the validity of MQA but just wanted to mention that the functionality is provided by Bluesound devices.

Thanks. It is a great fit since I am setting up a Vault2 in my dedicated music room (wife calls it the 'guest room'). The Node is for the main house living room etc.

I did email my Bluesound dealer but they never got back to me so I appreciate that I can plan on.

I am 90% decided to add Roon to my Tidal. 

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, realhifi said:

Bluesound needs to add Pandora to their list of streaming services.  Maybe not important to Audiophiles but it's the #1 service that customers of mine want to access in their home music system.  By a LARGE margin. 

Fully agree, especially with Pandora Premium now rolling out!

I tried out the Node 2 with Tidal and with streaming from why audio PC. It simply didn't compete with my reference chain. With SDM upsampling I don't know if MQA is ever going to be competitive. It might still be good with ladder DACs, but the price of entry for MQA ladder DACs isn't exactly affordable.

14 minutes ago, GUTB said:

I tried out the Node 2 with Tidal and with streaming from why audio PC. It simply didn't compete with my reference chain. With SDM upsampling I don't know if MQA is ever going to be competitive. It might still be good with ladder DACs, but the price of entry for MQA ladder DACs isn't exactly affordable.

Not certain what your 'reference chain' consists of, but you should set your expectations realistically. The Node 2 is a $500 streamer which supports Tidal and has full MQA decoding via its internal DAC. It isn't made to compete with top reference level gear nor should it be expected to. It performs quite well and offers a good value at its price IMHO.

3 hours ago, Midwest Ears said:

Fully agree, especially with Pandora Premium now rolling out!

Yes omitting Pandora is odd.  I have subs to Apple Music and Tidal as well as Pandora because Pandora still has the best radio stations.

The Node 2 should also have airplay built in.  Most receivers do, even ones cheaper than the Node 2.

The Pandora issue has been addressed a number of times on the Bluesound Forum and their support team has stated several times that they have approached Pandora asking for integration many times (they are frustrated). They continue to do so and actually encourage their users to contact Pandora as well.

21 minutes ago, Melvin said:

The Pandora issue has been addressed a number of times on the Bluesound Forum and their support team has stated several times that they have approached Pandora asking for integration many times (they are frustrated). They continue to do so and actually encourage their users to contact Pandora as well.

Hmm.  Wonder why that would be an issue given that pandora seems to be in everything else...

53 minutes ago, DarwinOSX said:

Hmm.  Wonder why that would be an issue given that pandora seems to be in everything else...

Yeah, it's a mystery and kind of hard to believe, but for now it's Pandora via Bluetooth or no Pandora.