Jump to content

Bluesound Node 2


Recommended Posts

There are a number of images available of the interior of the Node 2 that clearly show the BurrBrown PCM 5122 chips but nothing I can find so far that shows much of the inside layout of the Powernode 2. I'm not able to tell anything from the single small picture of the board on the Bluesound Powernode 2 website page.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever is in the Node 2 it sounds good.  It could be a squirrel on a treadmill for all I care.  The Node 2 sounds much better than it has a right to at it's price.  I have acquired, traded, upgraded and accumulated a lot of equipment in my 40 or so years as an audiophile.  I don't claim to have golden ears nor is my present system state of the art but it's pretty good...and revealing.  I am amazed that a product like the Node 2, which costs less than the feet on my VPI turntable, is as good as it is. If it can be bettered with a good external DAC then it has the potential to be spectacular.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, randyhat said:

Whatever is in the Node 2 it sounds good.  It could be a squirrel on a treadmill for all I care.  The Node 2 sounds much better than it has a right to at it's price.  I have acquired, traded, upgraded and accumulated a lot of equipment in my 40 or so years as an audiophile.  I don't claim to have golden ears nor is my present system state of the art but it's pretty good...and revealing.  I am amazed that a product like the Node 2, which costs less than the feet on my VPI turntable, is as good as it is. If it can be bettered with a good external DAC then it has the potential to be spectacular.

Squirrel on a treadmill ?

I've been meaning to get a Node 2 to connect to my Kef LS50W speakers. Seems like a good time to try it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I attended the LA Audio Show, I went to the Bluesound/NAD room to listen to some MQA for the first time.  Impressed, I asked the rep about using the Node 2 as a the main DAC for my system.  He sort of shrugged and said "it's a pretty good $200 DAC, but the DACs in the NAD amps are better."  He went on to suggest buying a NAD integrated with a Bluesound card.   I ignored his advice, and I'm happy I did (the DAC in the Node 2 sounds great to me), but I'm sure there is room for improvement.  Perhaps Bluesound with release a Node 3 (2+ ?) with dual mono DACs, for example.  By then, there will probably be MQA 2 (doesn't exist, but it will!) and Tidal Ultra (I made that up, too) and god knows what else.  I'm glad I spent only $500 on my DAC/streamer.  It will be worthless in 5 years and I'll gladly spend $500 again for an upgraded one.

Bluesound Node 2-->LFD LE Mk V-->HSU VTF-1 Subwoofer (via high-level inputs)-->Harbeth P3ESR

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, harmonica2 said:

When I attended the LA Audio Show, I went to the Bluesound/NAD room to listen to some MQA for the first time.  Impressed, I asked the rep about using the Node 2 as a the main DAC for my system.  He sort of shrugged and said "it's a pretty good $200 DAC, but the DACs in the NAD amps are better."  He went on to suggest buying a NAD integrated with a Bluesound card.   I ignored his advice, and I'm happy I did (the DAC in the Node 2 sounds great to me), but I'm sure there is room for improvement.  Perhaps Bluesound with release a Node 3 (2+ ?) with dual mono DACs, for example.  By then, there will probably be MQA 2 (doesn't exist, but it will!) and Tidal Ultra (I made that up, too) and god knows what else.  I'm glad I spent only $500 on my DAC streamer.  It will be worthless in 5 years and I'll gladly spend $500 again for another one.

That's 2 or 3 times the cost of a Node 2..

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, harmonica2 said:

When I attended the LA Audio Show, I went to the Bluesound/NAD room to listen to some MQA for the first time.  Impressed, I asked the rep about using the Node 2 as a the main DAC for my system.  He sort of shrugged and said "it's a pretty good $200 DAC, but the DACs in the NAD amps are better."  He went on to suggest buying a NAD integrated with a Bluesound card.   I ignored his advice, and I'm happy I did (the DAC in the Node 2 sounds great to me), but I'm sure there is room for improvement.  Perhaps Bluesound with release a Node 3 (2+ ?) with dual mono DACs, for example.  By then, there will probably be MQA 2 (doesn't exist, but it will!) and Tidal Ultra (I made that up, too) and god knows what else.  I'm glad I spent only $500 on my DAC/streamer.  It will be worthless in 5 years and I'll gladly spend $500 again for an upgraded one.

Good thing that you ignored his "advice". It's just a matter of how your unit fits into your system. Surely you didn't need to get another amplifier.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

The Node 2 Dac sounds slightly better than my Peachtree Nova Pre. I would say you would have to get out of the "general consumer" dacs to improve upon it. I'm hearing TEAC and MQA is partnering. A Teac MQA version of the 501 would be the perfect dac and price range. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/23/2017 at 5:35 AM, randyhat said:

Anyone heard the Node 2 paired with the Yggdrasil?

 

I'm waiting on an answer for this question, because I plan on using it with the Yggdrasil also if I get one.

Are there any websites with any special sales going on at the moment?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Love my Node 2. I use it in a head-fi set up with an Argon headphone amp, AudioQuest Red River interconnects and NAD Viso HP 50 headphones with most of my music from a Qnap NAS. I think the Node 2 is a true bargain considering the sound quality, features (MQA, Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz, Deezer, Bluetooth, internet radio etc...) and price.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just how good is the Bluesound 2?  I have it and am very impressed with the sound quality compared to my Bryston BCD-3 CD player.  I am amazed at the level of performance of this inexpensive (by audiophile standards) component.  But, I have not had any experience with any other streaming option. If Bluesound is entry level, how much better does it get?  If I were to move up to something like a Lumin or Aurender streamer/dac combination what could I expect to gain in sound quality?  I am curious to hear from folks who have compared the Bluesound to more expensive products or tried it with better external DACs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Node 2 and a Vault 2 and they sound good compared to my cd players:

Line Magnetic LM215 cdp,

Audiolab 8200CDQ;

Rega Apollo. I asked this question way back about playing the Bluesound through a more expensive DAC. 

Tascaam cdp

 

My problem is that my internet connection is wireless only and not very good. I end up playing cds more in spite of the fun of finding new music on Tidal. Maybe someday when I move.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure my problem is my wifi. The Node 2 often fails to connect to my wifi but my iMac, iPad and iPhone all work on the wifi. The Node 2 shows a solid green light and the Node2 shows up in the system settings of both iMac and iPhone so it has a signal,  but fails every time to connect. It has worked but won't anymore.

 

Bluesound help center is good but not direct like Apple Care is. You have to email to make an appointment for them to call you which I have done several times. I am dead in the water. Help is days away.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BilboAlaska said:

I am not sure my problem is my wifi. The Node 2 often fails to connect to my wifi but my iMac, iPad and iPhone all work on the wifi. The Node 2 shows a solid green light and the Node2 shows up in the system settings of both iMac and iPhone so it has a signal,  but fails every time to connect. It has worked but won't anymore.

 

Bluesound help center is good but not direct like Apple Care is. You have to email to make an appointment for them to call you which I have done several times. I am dead in the water. Help is days away.

 

 

Curious if you've checked your wifi signal via Bluesound Diagnostics? Here is the link if you are unfamiliar with this simple tool:

 

https://support.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/articles/201940663-What-should-my-Wireless-Signal-Strength-be-for-best-performance-

 

I only ask because I've got nothin' else for ya. Sorry. I use my Node 2 wirelessly without issue however, when I first set it up I had to move my AirPort Extreme a bit for a better signal. And by a bit I mean 6 or 7 inches! I used the Diagnostics tool to figure it out back then. I hope you get it sorted out. Best.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2016 at 1:56 AM, JakovH said:

 

My audio server cost me close to twice this once sotm components, multiple lpsu's, passive case, updating jrmc licenses, trialing other software etc. were taken into account. The hours poured into it don't count. Whatever change there is in SQ, I don't hear it. And ease of installation and use, there is no comparison. Better to trial it if you can though.

 

Ha. Still waiting to talk to Bluesound. We are exchanging emails but that is not going to cut it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So the problem turns out to be trying to use a wifi hotspot (from an iPhone, wireless modem or tablet) to connect to the Bluesound Node 2 instead of wired internet modem. 

I finally got it to connect by playing with the system settings until the Node and the iPad were in synch. The Node will connect to another hot spot instead and you have to go into the settings and try to figure out how to synchronize it. So it worked on an iPhone until I tried to switch to a wireless modem hotspot and failed and now I can't get back reconnected with the iPhone hotspot. So it can be done but it is not worth the time and effort.

 

It is equally hard to use a hotspot to stream with an Airport Express. After 4 hours on the phone with Apple Care service I got the AE working with the hotspot wifi. It is impossible to find an Apple service tech who ever streamed music to a home hifi with an AE or any other device, such as Bluesound or Muzo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Node 2 came today, and as I think about setting it up, I have a question.  Which BluOS app do you think works better, both using a tablet, and/or a phone?  I have an old iPhone 5 to use right now, but I intend to buy a tablet to leave out as the main remote to operate the node.  Since the Node 2 will be in the equipment room, there will be no line of sight, or set top operation.

 

Your opinion as to whether the android or ios app is more stable, easier to use, or just looks better, would be appreciated. 

 

Thanks.

1) Selah Audio Fedele Speakers (Revel in ceiling surrounds) QNAP TS-251 NAS accessed w/ a Ruku Ultra through SPDIF ipurifier into a Marantz SR7008 A/V receiver.

2) Freya + preamp, Hypex NC400 Amp, Zaph L18 Speakers, Martin Logan Dynamo sub-woofer

Bluesound Node 2 and Pro-Ject Expression w/ AT440mlb.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...