IGNORED

Bluesound Node 2

I don't know why the Node cannot be wifi from the computer because mine is wireless picking up the Vault 2. So why can it pick up the Vault wirelessly and not the network without the Vault?

I don't know how to determine the stream rate. I guess it is limited by the Airport Express that the Vault 2 is on. 

After getting my first streaming experience I looked into Roon and their website recommends against Apple network and Airport Express? 

Streaming is confusing as hell.

12 hours ago, BilboAlaska said:

I don't know why the Node cannot be wifi from the computer because mine is wireless picking up the Vault 2. So why can it pick up the Vault wirelessly and not the network without the Vault?

I don't know how to determine the stream rate. I guess it is limited by the Airport Express that the Vault 2 is on. 

After getting my first streaming experience I looked into Roon and their website recommends against Apple network and Airport Express? 

Streaming is confusing as hell.

What do you mean they recommend against Apple network and Airport Express?

I assume Apple network means using an Apple wifi router?

Well, I don't know about Roon or the Express, but I use an Apple Airport Extreme without issue with my 2 Bluesound products (Node 2 and Pulse Flex).

And speaking of Pandora and Apple, I have an ATV2 laying around and decided to connect it to the Node 2 (via optical-in), in essence adding AirPlay to the mix. Works great and now I can stream Pandora via wifi from my iPhone or Mac rather than using Bluetooth. I'm not sure the sound quality is any better but wifi is much more stable than Bluetooth. Not a bad work-around.

From Roon: 

Sorry Apple! Your laptops are great, but routers and network attached storage devices aren’t your strong suit.

Avoid the Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express for audio streaming. These devices work fine for basic tasks, but we suspect Apple are exiting this business and have noticed that they’re paying little attention to open issues. We’ve had an uptick of support issues related to these devices, so right now our best suggestion is to avoid them altogether.

From the page: 5 Tips for WiFi Streaming: 

file:///Users/kevincorr/Desktop/working/HiFi%20music%20working/5%20Tips%20for%20Wifi%20Audio%20Streaming.webarchive

4 minutes ago, BilboAlaska said:

That is my fear too. Apparently Roon is good with only specidic products. 

My question is if the Apple products limit the sound quality, ie if they are the weak part of the cain?

There is zero rational reason that Apple wifi routers have an impact on sound quality. 

There are measurements and data for this sort of thing. 

Roon is irresponsible for making such a statement with no rationale behind it. 

2 hours ago, DarwinOSX said:

Thanks. I've never had issues like this with AirPort Extreme and I do about every kind of streaming you can think of. I would say it is very likely a Roon issue. They give no reason for this statement then recommend an Asus router that has many negative reviews. It's a pretty lame statement in Roons part. 

+1 .. being a cord-cutter I stream a great deal of content, both audio and video without issue. I'm not a Roon user (Roon-er? Roonie? Roonist?) so I couldn't care less what they say. It was reported months ago that Apple is getting out of the router business but it doesn't mean they're not supporting their products. Knowing this, I recently purchased an AirPort Express for work and it works like a charm.

I shouldn't say I couldn't care less .. I care about our fellow Bluesound users who may want to use theirs as a Roon endpoint. I would suggest posing the question to Bluesound support.

1 hour ago, Melvin said:

+1 .. being a cord-cutter I stream a great deal of content, both audio and video without issue. I'm not a Roon user (Roon-er? Roonie? Roonist?) so I couldn't care less what they say. It was reported months ago that Apple is getting out of the router business but it doesn't mean they're not supporting their products. Knowing this, I recently purchased an AirPort Express for work and it works like a charm.

I shouldn't say I couldn't care less .. I care about our fellow Bluesound users who may want to use theirs as a Roon endpoint. I would suggest posing the question to Bluesound support.

Apple getting out of the router business is totally rumor. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Melvin said:

The Node 2 is a great little box, no? For the money it's hard to beat. Bluesound continues to impress me as they tweak and refine their products (i.e., lastest updates). They truly listen to their customers. 

I know you would have to spend a LOT more customizing an HTPC to approach the SQ and it still wouldn't do MQA properly. I am upgrading the power cord:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGAC14S27

and will get some vibration control under it too.

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

I found that it couldn't compete with a real DAC. Might be a good value for someone with little money, doesn't have a lot of real estate and/or doesn't place a high value on SQ.

With Redbook/FLAC my Parsound ZDac sounds better. But with MQA the node is the best I have experienced digital in my system. If I wasn't happy I could buy the Mytek Brooklyn DAC but at $2K that costs $1500 more ( four times the price of the Node). I will give props to the Node as a redbook streamer, it kicked my PC to the curb.
I haven't compared but I don't feel a need to upgrade. Has anyone compared the Node and the Brooklyn?
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/parasound-zdac/

Hans compares and rates audio gear on his YouTube channel. He says the Node 2 gets you 80% of his favorite DAC the $2500 Chord Hugo. That is with non MQA tracks. I'll bet with MQA tracks it brings you even closer, in fact with MQA it might even be better. The HUGO is only a DAC. That means you need to spend more money buying a source and some type of software to organize and play your files. The Node 2 doesn't need a source or software, which means even more money in your pocket. 

I've learned a lot from this forum, and this thread convinced me to buy a Node 2 to replace my Squeezebox Touch. I've been using it for a couple months now and thought I'd share my experience.

Like other posters here, I bought it to run into a Schiit Bifrost Multibit. But once I started using it and comparing the analog outs and the digital outs, I couldn't tell a difference. Like, at all. It was strange. Maybe MQA sounded a little better through the Bluesound, where it's decoded, but even then I wouldn't bet on my being able to tell the sources apart.

Of course this is all based on my ears and my system (Rega Couple ICs, Rega Brio-R, Epos Epic 2 speakers). But the results were clear. I sold the Schiit. 

12 hours ago, witchdoctor said:

With Redbook/FLAC my Parsound ZDac sounds better. But with MQA the node is the best I have experienced digital in my system. If I wasn't happy I could buy the Mytek Brooklyn DAC but at $2K that costs $1500 more ( four times the price of the Node). I will give props to the Node as a redbook streamer, it kicked my PC to the curb.
I haven't compared but I don't feel a need to upgrade. Has anyone compared the Node and the Brooklyn?
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/parasound-zdac/

The Parasound looks great but I won't buy anything going forward that doesn't do MQA.

Now that all three major studios have signed on I'm looking forward to more MQA :-)

1 minute ago, DarwinOSX said:

The Parasound looks great but I won't buy anything going forward that doesn't do MQA.

Now that all three major studios have signed on I'm looking forward to more MQA :-)

I agree, future purchases would need to incorporate MQA. I am hoping Marantz releases an MQA firmware update like Bluesound did for its products. I want an MQA home theater processor.

5 hours ago, Melvin said:

Hey GUTB .. did it ever occur to you the blanket statements you make can be a bit off-putting? There are plenty of folks with years of experience in our hobby who have enough money, care greatly about sound quality, and actually purchased a Bluesound device because they like what they hear (and yes, their ears are good enough to detect differences). A little perspective .. we are not talking about an Aurender or Melco streamer here, the Node 2 is a $500 device with incredible value. 

BTW, I would love to see you start a thread explaining which products/components you think we all should purchase going forward. It would be great to have at least some of your wisdom and knowledge in one easy-to-read thread. I'm thinking you could instruct us not only on streamers but also amps, speakers, cables, room treatment, .. well, every aspect of audio. Please.

Thats what ignore user is for.

Meanwhile Melvin your foolish things list has cost me some money :-)