IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

I have HQplayer/Roon upsampling to DSD512 running on an I7-6700k PC in the music room. The PC sits on a table between the speakers. There is no noise using a Noctua NH-C14S fan to cool the processor. The fan is installed with the Noctua supplied low speed power adapter. A Supra USB cable connects to the IFI microIDSD DAC.

Music files are served from a fanless intel quad core NAS sitting on the table next to the audio PC.

I have used the same setup with the T+A DAC.

Both DACs sound great with this configuration and I have zero inclination to build an NAA PC.

I have had thoughts of getting a fan filter cable for the Noctua, but it seems like overkill to me.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

I have HQplayer/Roon upsampling to DSD512 running on an I7-6700k PC in the music room. The PC sits on a table between the speakers. There is no noise using a Noctua NH-C14S fan to cool the processor. The fan is installed with the Noctua supplied low speed power adapter. A Supra USB cable connects to the IFI microIDSD DAC.

Music files are served from a fanless intel quad core NAS sitting on the table next to the audio PC.

I have used the same setup with the T+A DAC.

Both DACs sound great with this configuration and I have zero inclination to build an NAA PC.

I have had thoughts of getting a fan filter cable for the Noctua, but it seems like overkill to me.

Do you keep both DACs connected at the same time?

It does seem unlikely. Jesus at Sonore has just responded to me about the possibility of native DSD support for the t+a on the microRendu: 'That unit would not be supported on Linux.'

It's a long shot (I'm aware of it) but, if one is willing to install independently Amanero's soon to be released firmware on T+A (not easy) and Sonore patch their product (likely because of other Amanero based DACs), one should be able to have DSD non-DoP in Linux.

Never say never :)

Do you keep both DACs connected at the same time?

No, I don't own a T+A, yet. However I have been lucky to have had two long term loaners for several weeks in the past few months. I use each DAC one at a time.

Both the T+A and microIDSD sound great playing music at DSD512 upsampled with HQplayer.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Both the T+A and the microRendu are great products. What is unfortunate about the T+A is that, right now it seems as though its users are all putting the upsampling PC in the same room as the T+A and direct connecting via USB. For many of us, the ability to have a high powered, but perhaps slightly noisy PC in another room and using ethernet or fiber to connect to an NAA is a great way to benefit from HQPlayers' upsampling capabilities. But currently that means building your own Windows-based NAA as the T+A doesn't do DSD512 with any of the Linux-based NAAs. So we either go with the microRendu and a different DAC that plays nice with Linux or you go with the T+A and a Windows based second computer as NAA.

Or is there another solution I'm missing that allows PC in one room and T+A in another (long USB cable not being a viable answer)?

You are not missing anything and why I always put the caveat that the price of the DAC at 4K is not the end for optimization. Any other method, IMHO, in driving this DAC other than at optimal DSD 512 via HQP is a waste. So one must add in the cost of a legitimate computer that can handle it and if you are running it another room the price of a computer for NAA. If as you say MicroRendu did work the price point goes down but no such luck at this time

You are not missing anything and why I always put the caveat that the price of the DAC at 4K is not the end for optimization. Any other method, IMHO, in driving this DAC other than at optimal DSD 512 via HQP is a waste. So one must add in the cost of a legitimate computer that can handle it and if you are running it another room the price of a computer for NAA. If as you say MicroRendu did work the price point goes down but no such luck at this time

The Linux support for DSD512 for Amanero based card seems to be taking forever. Jussi was involved at some point but does anyone know what is the current status ? Since I already have the microRendu, this is what is preventing me from getting this DAC.

The Linux support for DSD512 for Amanero based card seems to be taking forever. Jussi was involved at some point but does anyone know what is the current status ? Since I already have the microRendu, this is what is preventing me from getting this DAC.

Before anything else Linux support for Amanero starts from Amanero's designer - Domenico.

I spoke to him only only two days ago as I have been pressing him for months. After various personal and business issues that have slowed him down, he is definitely close to firmware release, but he still has to do a bit more testing. Next week I'll call him again and check where we are.

However, Linux support for T+A DAC is rather more complicated, as I explained a few posts above - #1128.

Before anything else Linux support for Amanero starts from Amanero's designer - Domenico.

I spoke to him only only two days ago as I have been pressing him for months. After various personal and business issues that have slowed him down, he is definitely close to firmware release, but he still has to do a bit more testing. Next week I'll call him again and check where we are.

Thanks bibo. pls report back.

However, Linux support for T+A DAC is rather more complicated, as I explained a few posts above - #1128.

Yes, I understand this part but things has to move at some point. It seemed that we are in the same boat as we were couple of months earlier :-)

It's a long shot (I'm aware of it) but, if one is willing to install independently Amanero's soon to be released firmware on T+A (not easy) and Sonore patch their product (likely because of other Amanero based DACs), one should be able to have DSD non-DoP in Linux.

Never say never :)

Thanks for this. I'll go back to living in hope!

While the T&A is undoubtedly a GREAT Dac at DSD512 (many trusted pals have confirmed this)...

Your best bet is to get a Lampi Atlantic DSD only (chipless) that does DSD512 in Linux already according to Lukasz (patch implemented). Price is €3,900...not sure what that is in $. Likely $4,500.

Directly heated Pentodes running in triode mode for output stage.

I think its also possible to get the basic Atlantic with R2R PCM and DSD256 and pay $1,000 extra for the chipless DSD512 as a switchable option (2 DSD engines in one box). The R2R module allows for seamless DSD to PCM switching in a mixed playlist. The Chipless engine would then be reserved for upsampling duties while the R2R module would be used mainly for native rate playback.

http://lampizator.eu/Manuals/Atlantic/Atlantic.pdf

While the T&A is undoubtedly a GREAT Dac at DSD512 (many trusted pals have confirmed this)...

Your best bet is to get a Lampi Atlantic DSD only (chipless) that does DSD512 in Linux already according to Lukasz (patch implemented). Price is €3,900...not sure what that is in $. Likely $4,500.

I think its also possible to get the basic Atlantic with R2R PCM and DSD256 and pay $1,000 extra for the chipless DSD512 as a switchable option (2 DSD engines in one box). The R2R module allows for seamless DSD to PCM switching in a mixed playlist. The Chipless engine would then be reserved for upsampling duties while the R2R module would be used mainly for native rate playback.

I would like an honest opinion about T+a dac 8 dsd. Would it be better than Mytek Manhattan? How would it compare to Lampi DAC?

I would like an honest opinion about T+a dac 8 dsd. Would it be better than Mytek Manhattan? How would it compare to Lampi DAC?

The T+A was better than my Level 4 in pretty much every aspect.

I didn't compare it to the Mytek but I assume the T+A is ahead of it as well.

Consultant to Taiko Audio

It also depends whether you want balanced outputs (which I do); the T+A has them, the Lampi Atlantic DSD doesn't.

Very interested to hear first reactions to this DAC. The Atlantic reviewers at 6moons have a Lampi

Golden Gate in their possession, and have said they will compare them.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

What exactly do you mean when you say that installing Amanero's firmware on the T+A is "not easy"? Would it void the warranty on the T+A?

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

That's more or less a conversion from Euros to US$, rounded up a little. My experience (pricing a DAC out on the Lampi website and then getting a quote from the US distributor using the same specs) is that there's more of a penalty than that to actually take delivery on a Lampi in the US. I'm guessing the US price is ≥US$5K. You'd need to contact the US distributor with your exact specs to get the correct US price.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

It also depends whether you want balanced outputs (which I do); the T+A has them, the Lampi Atlantic DSD doesn't.

The Atlantic is streets and miles ahead of the L4. Question is, does it beat a stock L7?

The people I know who tried the Dac 8 said it was not special at native rate playback, but excelled at its sweetspot , ie dsd512!

I have yet to try a Dac8, so I cant say.

That's more or less a conversion from Euros to US$, rounded up a little. My experience (pricing a DAC out on the Lampi website and then getting a quote from the US distributor using the same specs) is that there's more of a penalty than that to actually take delivery on a Lampi in the US. I'm guessing the US price is ≥US$5K. You'd need to contact the US distributor with your exact specs to get the correct US price.

--David

I am sure the Lampi dacs are great as per the reports of many however, the thing that always keeps me away from them is the constant upgrading, fiddling, etc with his products. I know I have stated this before and hate to be a broken record but even the link that winson provided us for the Atlantic (another version to hit the Lampi lineup) kind of sums up my issue. To me the Lampi lineup seems to be geared for the tinkerer who is looking for constant upgrades, tube rolling, sending back for mods, etc. I really have no patience for that any longer and can't take part in that.

The T&A is relatively simple, straight forward and sounds excellent on wide filter when feeding it DSD512 poly-sinc-shrt-mp, ASDM7(my preference is ASDM5) bit rate limit 22579200 via HQP. I obviously have no experience in comparing SQ between the Atlantic and T&A but just can't see myself getting involved with another company that breeds upgraditis. Been there and done that and in the end I want to listen and not tinker.

And yes, if balanced matters the T&A has balanced as well as a built-in headamp which is pretty good although has no balanced out for headphones.

I am sure the Lampi dacs are great as per the reports of many however, the thing that always keeps me away from them is the constant upgrading, fiddling, etc with his products. I know I have stated this before and hate to be a broken record but even the link that winson provided us for the Atlantic (another version to hit the Lampi lineup) kind of sums up my issue. To me the Lampi lineup seems to be geared for the tinkerer who is looking for constant upgrades, tube rolling, sending back for mods, etc. I really have no patience for that any longer and can't take part in that.

The T&A is relatively simple, straight forward and sounds excellent on wide filter when feeding it DSD512 poly-sinc-shrt-mp, ASDM7(my preference is ASDM5) bit rate limit 22579200 via HQP. I obviously have no experience in comparing SQ between the Atlantic and T&A but just can't see myself getting involved with another company that breeds upgraditis. Been there and done that and in the end I want to listen and not tinker.

And yes, if balanced matters the T&A has balanced as well as a built-in headamp which is pretty good although has no balanced out for headphones.

+1 I have met Lukasz on several occasions and am sure he is the real deal. As is Lampizator. However.....I, like many, tend to shy away from a company that has soooo many models and constant upgrades and options. Why? Howie's tinkerer issues notwithstanding, I am scared that the market price of a Lampi deflates every time a new option or model is introduced (which is every 3 months it seems). Although I don't look at resale vale as THE number one concern (sound is) it is a real buyers issue when it's time to shell out the cash, especially in a digital world where market maturation is nowhere near. Amps? Speakers? Not a big deal.

I don't disagree. The "US price penalty" seems a bit extreme, and personally, despite the excellent reputation of these DACs, I'm not really anxious to have a DAC with tubes. The process of deciding which Lampi you want to go for and spec'ing one out is a bit off-putting to me, so I'd imagine it's even more intimidating to a lot of other potential customers.

The T+A would be ideal for my next DAC … if only it were Linux friendly. (Maybe I just need to get over the idea that a microRendu is something I need and start to look at other directions to take.)

--David

I don't disagree. The "US price penalty" seems a bit extreme, and personally, despite the excellent reputation of these DACs, I'm not really anxious to have a DAC with tubes. The process of deciding which Lampi you want to go for and spec'ing one out is a bit off-putting to me, so I'd imagine it's even more intimidating to a lot of other potential customers.

The T+A would be ideal for my next DAC … if only it were Linux friendly. (Maybe I just need to get over the idea that a microRendu is something I need and start to look at other directions to take.)

--David

The microRendu is something you definitely don't need. It is an excellent piece no doubt but I can't say it interferes with one's ability to enjoy the T&A. Going into it, just be aware, that you will need a computer with an i7 6700K and I would recommend an NVIDIA card to use HQP to it's max in order to get the best SQ out of the T&A. I have a computer like this in my office which I then stream using HQP NAA to my CAPS to the T&A. The other option is to get something like what I got for my office but a cheaper version of Northwest Falcon TIKI that is small and very quiet (you hear a little fan noise when first starting HQP and silence after) and put a JCAT or SOTM USB card in or just run off the mobo into a regen or intona without any NAA; this option is similar to any CAPS or CAPS variant.

"The process of deciding which Lampi you want to go for and spec'ing one out is a bit off-putting to me, so I'd imagine it's even more intimidating to a lot of other potential customers."

I couldn't agree more. Plus it would drive me nuts to go back to the site after receiving mine only to see that there is some new model or upgrade that is new rave replacing what I haven't even plugged in yet. Not criticizing Lampi or Lukaz, but that stuff doesn't work for me.

+1 I have met Lukasz on several occasions and am sure he is the real deal. As is Lampizator. However.....I, like many, tend to shy away from a company that has soooo many models and constant upgrades and options. Why? Howie's tinkerer issues notwithstanding, I am scared that the market price of a Lampi deflates every time a new option or model is introduced (which is every 3 months it seems). Although I don't look at resale vale as THE number one concern (sound is) it is a real buyers issue when it's time to shell out the cash, especially in a digital world where market maturation is nowhere near. Amps? Speakers? Not a big deal.

Indeed. Too many options to easily get confused and the upgrades are rather too often. Lot of dealers I have spoken to has avoided selling this brand for the same reason.

The other option is to get something like what I got for my office but a cheaper version of Northwest Falcon TIKI that is small and very quiet (you hear a little fan noise when first starting HQP and silence after) and put a JCAT or SOTM USB card in or just run off the mobo into a regen or intona without any NAA; this option is similar to any CAPS or CAPS variant.

I have the Falcon Tiki bookmarked, and it's possible I'll end up going with some configuration of this. Thanks for bringing it to my attention; I haven't yet seen anything that looks like a more cost-effective option for using HQP to upsample to DSD512 (although I find it depressing that I haven't been able to come up with a Mac/Linux-based way to do this).

--David