IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

Great news Bibo, would love to hear a T+A with a sotm sms200 or mR.

Finally, I'm getting my T+A next week. I sold my Lampi, get better sound and even have some cash left over. That's new to me.

By the way, do you still want to see a photo of the inside of my CAPS with the additional heatpipes to the left? I'm back home and could make a photo now.

(I visited Ascoli Piceno 2 weeks before the earthquake, so sad what happened there...)

Consultant to Taiko Audio

IMG_3018.jpg

There you go, not pretty but it does DSD512 fanless and without a 6700k (but with a xeon e3 1271v3).

Without the extra two, the CPU would eventually heat up, now it can play 24/7.

Ascoli is a beautiful city, on the square there were 3 weddings going on at the same time!

Watched the scene while drinking my Anisetta and eating Migliori Olive Ascolana.

The whole region was fantastic, especially Castelluccio was out of this world.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28735[/ATTACH]

There you go, not pretty but it does DSD512 fanless and without a 6700k (but with a xeon e3 1271v3).

Ascoli is a beautiful city, on the square there were 3 weddings going on at the same time!

Watched the scene while drinking my Anisetta and eating Migliori Olive Ascolana.

Thanks.

Do you know that at Castelluccio the church tower has come down?! :(

For other readers this is Castelluccio:

castelluccio-di-norcia.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28735[/ATTACH]

For low heat, you could also undervolt your CPU. It's not docemented very well, on the internet most tweakers forum discuss overclocking. But on http://www.silentpcreview.com there should be some info on the topic of undervolting. Try increments of 0.05V. The voltage has a large contribution to the power consumption and hence heat production.

Sent from my MI 2 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

The heat in my CAPS is under control now, but I might try this out in order to reduce stressing my power supply which operates at it's limit and does get very hot.

Does this have a direct effect on the CPU performance? I need every GHz I can get.

Edit: Nevermind, just looked it up myself, I'm going to try this out, hopefully my HDPlex will thank me for that. Thanks!

I find it very surprising that people here do not care for the options and configurability that Lampizator offers. I've found that people here tend to jump at every tweak under the sun: OS optimization, SATA cables, linear power supplies, USB enhancement devices, NAA, every different software upsampling, USB & Ethernet cables etc. Compared to what's discussed on this forum daily, Lampizator's options are very few and very straightforward and allow you to pay for only what matters to you. Plus the ability to upgrade functionality in the DAC is certainly a plus in my eyes, though you're never forced to. Nor are you forced to roll tubes, etc.

I've got a Lampizator L4 DSD 256-Only DAC that I ordered balanced, with Duelund caps and remote/premium analog volume control. I use Roon & HQP upsampling, HQP NAA, running direct from the DAC into NCore 400 monoblocks and Mangepan 3.7i's. I've applied a lot of the tweaks I mentioned above to my system and it sounds so incredibly good now that I struggle to comprehend how something, anything, could be "streets and miles" better. But I've never heard a Lampi Big 7 nor the T+A DAC.

I was going to upgrade my Lampi from DSD256 to DSD512 (and I still might), but what I've read here has convinced me that I must hear that T+A in my home. There have been other products that many people went crazy for (the Auralic Vega and the microRendu in particular) that I didn't care for at all. As was the case with those products, I won't know how the T+A compares to what I know until I hear it in my system.

I wish there was a way for me to audition a T+A "demo" model at home, but I realize that the demand for the product is high and there aren't likely any units that are available for such a purpose. Does anyone have any updates on the availability of the DAC and a link to a dealer network?

Thanks,

Keith

Its the tubes Keith.

The DHT tubes in the L7/GG and the DHPs in the Atlantic are better performing than the small signal tubes in the L4. Also, as I mentioned before, but it seems people dont yet get it, i know that Lukasz has DSD256 and 512 working with his Dacs. What I am not sure about is what is needed on the source side. i know the Komputer uses LINUX and plays up to DSD512 to the Dac.

It wont handle ROON and HQP at 512, but will at 256. For 512 one would have to use only HQP...or need a 2nd PC.

The T+A is excellent at DSD512, but not particularly outstanding at native rate playback... that is the feedback I got from trusted pals. So, yes, you should check it out for 512.

I have still to hear the Atlantic, but based on feedback, it has low noise floor and extended highs relative to DHTs. Its also possible to get TWO DSD engines in it, R2R and chipless. That makes it very exciting, as I dont only want to upsample and the latest R2R PCM is special!

(...)

The T+A is excellent at DSD512, but not particularly outstanding at native rate playback... that is the feedback I got from trusted pals. So, yes, you should check it out for 512.

(...)

!

I do not agree with that statement!

The T+A is outstanding for it's price Point in PCM Mode when used in the right way!

The digital XLR Input (Aes) sounds a lot better than Spdif chinch! Not many reviews care about that!

With a relative cheap XLR-digital interconnect (Mogami, Sommer binary cable etc.) for around 50€ you get a very very good PCM Sound with crazy dynamics.

The XLR output is also supirior to the chinch outs. Wider soundstage, better separation of instruments etc.

All you need is a cd transport with AES/EBU XLR output. This is the Studio standart for many year. Look at cheap Second Hand studio stuff on eBay. I use an Alesis Masterlink ( 370€ Second Hand).

Sounds very good.

Were you able to compare the two DSD engines?

Matt

No, but ALRainbow has and says they are close, but gives the edge to Chipless, which can do up to 512, while R2R is limited to 256 so far.

BTW, the Atlantic apparently is now available in Balanced. I hope to hear an Atlantic with both DSD engines soon to compare to my GG Dac. Both the Atlantic and my GG have R2R engines for PCM....to me this is another league, but YMMV. The gap between PCM and DSD has been cut!

BTW, I made a typo above, Linux is supported up to DSD256 but I typed 512 and can't edit it anymore...sorry for that.

I don't see anything wrong with offering the ability to customize an audio product with a continuous stream of new options.

I'm currently assembling components to build a new Windows 10 desktop machine. I have to pick a CPU, motherboard, power supply, memory, cooler, graphics card, SSD, display and case. Each component has many brands and models with different features to consider. New products get introduced throughout my component selection process. I end up assembling a machine in which I have a great deal of confidence because I've carefully evaluated each component, and I can keep it current with modular upgrades.

The alternative is to simply buy a preconfigured machine from someone who has made all those decisions for me. I prefer to participate in the design decisions. You certainly don't have anyone offering 100% trade in value for your old components. That's a fantastic deal.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

OK, so it is best to be always fed at that 384k then... :)

I guess Phasure NOS1a is the only one that can take in higher than 384k? (Metrum also tops out at 384k)

Maybe difficult to say or speculate, but do you think PCM384 would actually be preferred over DSD128 (DoP) with current Amanero/Linux limitation through microRendu and this new Lampi DAC?

Its the tubes Keith.

The DHT tubes in the L7/GG and the DHPs in the Atlantic are better performing than the small signal tubes in the L4. Also, as I mentioned before, but it seems people dont yet get it, i know that Lukasz has DSD256 and 512 working with his Dacs...

It wont handle ROON and HQP at 512, but will at 256. For 512 one would have to use only HQP...or need a 2nd PC.

I have still to hear the Atlantic, but based on feedback, it has low noise floor and extended highs relative to DHTs. Its also possible to get TWO DSD engines in it, R2R and chipless. That makes it very exciting, as I dont only want to upsample and the latest R2R PCM is special!

Thanks for your informative reply Wisnon. It appears that I'm likely due for another one of those moments where I didn't know what I was missing until I heard (even) better equipment.

My needs are very specific. I have no interest in playing PCM directly (I only want chipless DSD), no interest in native rate playback (of any of my files), no single ended inputs on my NCore 400 amps, and no desire for a preamp. So any DAC I consider has to tick quite a few boxes. The Lampizator L4 (as I ordered it) fits the bill perfectly, but for me to step up to a higher end Lampizator with everything I want would cost more coin than I'm willing to part with.

Fortunately, the T+A also does everything I need a DAC to do and it apparently does it extremely well, so it'll be the next thing I try. I can't wait to hear for myself what others are describing about its performance with DSD512.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

Thanks for your informative reply Wisnon. It appears that I'm likely due for another one of those moments where I didn't know what I was missing until I heard (even) better equipment.

My needs are very specific. I have no interest in playing PCM directly (I only want chipless DSD), no interest in native rate playback (of any of my files), no single ended inputs on my NCore 400 amps, and no desire for a preamp. So any DAC I consider has to tick quite a few boxes. The Lampizator L4 (as I ordered it) fits the bill perfectly, but for me to step up to a higher end Lampizator with everything I want would cost more coin than I'm willing to part with.

Fortunately, the T+A also does everything I need a DAC to do and it apparently does it extremely well, so it'll be the next thing I try. I can't wait to hear for myself what others are describing about its performance with DSD512.

The Atlantic comes in Balanaced DSD only as well. I am not sure of the price though, perhaps $6K. It can also be tube rectified as well.

As I said, go ahead and try the Dac8...you may very well like it for DSD512.

The Atlantic comes in Balanaced DSD only as well. I am not sure of the price though, perhaps $6K. It can also be tube rectified as well.

As I said, go ahead and try the Dac8...you may very well like it for DSD512.

I'd be more interested in the Atlantic, but I'd need it both balanced and with volume control. It's my understanding that that's not currently offered. But I'll be interested to read more about the Atlantic, and anything else they do.

I love my Lampi L4. I don't know how much it being DSD Only, balanced and having Duelund caps, chipless DSD256 and analog volume control elevates its sound above a typical L4, but I'm certainly intrigued by the consensus that newer DACs in the price range definitely sound better.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

I'd be more interested in the Atlantic, but I'd need it both balanced and with volume control. It's my understanding that that's not currently offered. But I'll be interested to read more about the Atlantic, and anything else they do.

I love my Lampi L4. I don't know how much it being DSD Only, balanced and having Duelund caps, chipless DSD256 and analog volume control elevates its sound above a typical L4, but I'm certainly intrigued by the consensus that newer DACs in the price range definitely sound better.

Yes, it is offered. I spoke with L yesterday and got a confirmation, as I have a pal who wanted to know.

The Atlantic line will match the DHT L7 line with balanced, preamp, tube recti, DSD only, R2R and chipless DSD512 in the same box (choice of DSD), and most configs you can think of.

As I said, I personally have not heard it yet, but feedback i have seen seems to be superb for the pricepoint. The big tubes are just a different animal to the small signal tubes. Outrageously better IMHO. Chipless DSD512 is also supposedly a bit better allround than 256.

However, for DSD512 only the Dac8 is excellent with a QUALITY source. A home built PC will never match an expensive $20K SGM server though. Some people seem to forget that! Pay attention to feeder source when upsampling to very high rates.

Yes, it is offered. I spoke with L yesterday and got a confirmation, as I have a pal who wanted to know.

The Atlantic line will match the DHT L7 line with balanced, preamp, tube recti, DSD only, R2R and chipless DSD512 in the same box (choice of DSD), and most configs you can think of.

As I said, I personally have not heard it yet, but feedback i have seen seems to be superb for the pricepoint. The big tubes are just a different animal to the small signal tubes. Outrageously better IMHO. Chipless DSD512 is also supposedly a bit better allround than 256.

However, for DSD512 only the Dac8 is excellent with a QUALITY source. A home built PC will never match an expensive $20K SGM server though. Some people seem to forget that! Pay attention to feeder source when upsampling to very high rates.

Norman,

You seem pretty versed for on a product you have never heard??

I haven't heard the SGM but I think the a "QUALITY SOURCE" recommendation can be applied to ANY Dac under consideration, not just the T&A. The T&A works great with a CAPS as the NAA which I consider a "QUALITY SOURCE"