IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

I've tested a little Amanero FW+ASIO under Windows 10, not as stable as T+A stock. A few times after stopping playing DSD in HQPlayer (via player) changed to PCM mode and been unable to play DSD again -- had to restart DAC and HQPlayer a few times. This never happened with stock FW+driver. Well, I'm going to get OpticalRendu NAA anyway...

• 1 month later...

Hi,

what is the best t+a dac8 dsd usb firmware today?

I have CPLD 1081 SWAPPED with 2006be11 and work ok with optical rendu.

But is there best firmware now?

Sorry for my poor english…i m from Italy.

Thanks for your precious information…i love this forum.

On 11/15/2021 at 5:28 PM, THX said:

Hi,

what is the best t+a dac8 dsd usb firmware today?

I have CPLD 1081 SWAPPED with 2006be11 and work ok with optical rendu.

But is there best firmware now?

Sorry for my poor english…i m from Italy.

Thanks for your precious information…i love this forum.

The consensus seems to be that 2006be11 is the optimal firmware choice. Some who tried other versions went back to 2006be11 after encountering bugs and incompatibilities.

• 6 months later...
On 8/6/2020 at 9:35 AM, fantasia said:
Hello everybody

I am happy to inform you that the very latest firmware CPLD 1082, 2006be15r2 works perfectly on my Daphile music server !!

Where can I get the 2006be15r2 and oemtool from? I can't seem to find it.

• 2 weeks later...

@OE333

As we have all learned here at Audiophile Style power supplies are very important for the sound quality. For my PC's feeding my DAC I have upgraded the power supplies several times. Currently using the Taiko DC-DC ATX plus Nenon v3 ULPS. Each time with a clear sound improvement. Being an owner of a T+A DAC 8 from 2013/2104 and later off a T+A DAC 8 DSD, I now wonder if an upgrade of the power supply of the T+A DAC 8 DSD is worth while and possible? On advice of Mark Coles of Sablon I have already upgrade the IEC connection and the wires to the PC board with a nice and noticable sound improvement. OE333 your advice would be appreciated. 

Lothar, thank you very much for this information. I myself am a mechanical engineer, so I am very cautious what I do with electronics. I would definitely need support before doing something with the power supply of the T+A DAC 8 DSD. But what we have noticed here at Audiophile Style there are more then enough people jumping in and step by step something useful emerges. Lets see what we can achieve together. 

I'd start with the 5v and 3.3v supplies to the 1-bit DSD converter.   Should be easily possible to technically beat LM317 nowadays, but it's not a guarantee that an aftermarket power supply will sound better... all of them sound different, so might be best to trial and see what types / brands of power supplies you like before attempting the mod.  

Signalyst DSC1 might be an easier platform to test out the effect if you fancied it:  https://www.signalyst.com/hardware.html

I forget, does the DSD section of the DAC-8 DSD need a clock?

3 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Should be easily possible to technically beat LM317 nowadays, but it's not a guarantee that an aftermarket power supply will sound better... all of them sound different, so might be best to trial and see what types / brands of power supplies you like before attempting the mod. 

With proper capacitor bypassing (like done in the DAC8DSD PS) noise of LM3xx can be brought down to about 200nV/rtHz. Compared to the LT1963A for example with its 100nV/rtHz this is not so bad. In the DAC8DSD case the 2nd (passive) noise filtering stage brings the noise further down. At 1 kHz by (theoretically) an other 40 dB. So power supply noise in the DAC8DSD is really very low.

I'd start with the 5v and 3.3v supplies to the 1-bit DSD converter.

Yes, I totally agree. If you want to try out other regulator types start with the 5V and 3.3 V regulators. The LT1963A might be a good starting point. The ultra low noise TPS74700 has even better specs but will require some sort of adaptor PCB to fit into the DAC8DSD.

Btw: the noise density of the LM3xx+passive filter is almost identical to that of the TPS74700 in the frequency range up to 1kHz. Above this frequency the LM3xx+filter performs better.

T+A Fellow   (Head of R&D @ T+A 1989-2021)

(*) My postings represent my private and personal opinion and hopefully are helpful to the members of this forum

T+A MP200 | T+A DAC200 | T+A A200 | T+A Talis S300 | DAW: Core i7 8700K - Linux 5.4.0 - Roonserver + HQP | NAA on RockPiE (RK3328)

I forget, does the DSD section of the DAC-8 DSD need a clock?

Yes, there are two local precision clock oscillators (22.5792MHz and 24.576MHz) located very close to the D/A converters.

(*) My postings represent my private and personal opinion and hopefully are helpful to the members of this forum

T+A MP200 | T+A DAC200 | T+A A200 | T+A Talis S300 | DAW: Core i7 8700K - Linux 5.4.0 - Roonserver + HQP | NAA on RockPiE (RK3328)

On 6/10/2022 at 11:54 AM, Rovo said:

On advice of Mark Coles of Sablon I have already upgrade the IEC connection and the wires to the PC board with a nice and noticable sound improvement. OE333 your advice would be appreciated. 

Have you ever thought of removing the IEC connector completely (i.e. using a fixed mains cord directly soldered to the PCB) ?

This would remove 9 plugged connections and replace them with 3 soldered ones --- just a thought....

Maybe this is not so convenient but perhaps you could do without a mains cord pluggable at both ends. A pluggable connection at the wall outlet might be enough in most cases...

1 hour ago, OE333 said:

With proper capacitor bypassing (like done in the DAC8DSD PS) noise of LM3xx can be brought down to about 200nV/rtHz.

Based on this I’d leave it well alone - focus on clocks  and power cable/IEC instead.

Of course you could change the PCB level caps, but why bother if you can use interconnect cables to ‘voice’ to your desires.

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since anyone posted here but hopefully someone will be able to help me out. I just bought an Alienware Aurora R13 Gaming computer with Intel Core i9 12900KF, 32 GBDDR5 RAM, Nividia RTX 3070Ti and Windows 11 Pro. All that in hopes of being able to run any 48k 512 DSD file on Signalyst HQ Player with my T+A DAC 8 DSD. Disappointed. For reasons unknown to me I can't upsample any file to greater than 48k 128 DSD. Plus side, at that rate, to my ears it sounds as good as running files at 48K 512 on my old Windows 10 computer (after a LOT of trial and error). I was so frustrated I momentarily went back to JRiver and even trialed Audirvana to see if they rivaled HQ Player. They both sounded a bit diffuse and bottlenecked my DAC at PCM 348K. Weird, the new computer sees my DAC as "Speakers T+A DAC 8 DSD." and only lets DSD play in WASAPI. It used to be ASIO.

Also disappointed Signalyst HQ player doesn't let you buy retro versions like JRiver Media does. I managed to get my old version (3.25.4) on the new computer. Now every time I open the program it's asking me to buy (again) or reregister. I have a Register Key, but see no place to put it in. I tried the new HQPlayer 4 first. Very complicated for my limited abilities

Anyone have any idea how I can get the new computer to let my DAC play 48K 512DSD again? The computer gives the option of playing CD or DVD quality. Is this my bottleneck? If it is, is there a way to get past this? My old Windows 10 had the same options but between HQ Player and the T+A DAC 8 DSD I had no problems playing 48K 512. To anyone who responds, please make it simple. I'm not computer savvy.

6 hours ago, musicbuff said:

Anyone have any idea how I can get the new computer to let my DAC play 48K 512DSD again?

Do you use roon?  One issue I had with my current dac (Holo May, I used to own the T+A) was if I had any other ASIO device active in Roon, the holo would not play DSD.  So I went into roon devices and turned off any device that was asio except the T+A.  USE HQP v4 as it is clearly superior to HQP 3.  I've attached my settings that I use for my dac in Ubuntu but they are very similar to what you should set for the T+A. explained below.

For Backend select ASIO, for device make sure it says your T+A ASIO driver.  Very important default output mode is set to SDM as shown.  Under SDM settings change bit rate to 48k x 512.  Then grey or check multicore DSD as I have, check adaptive output rate and check cuda offload.  Then click ok.  that should help greatly.

You can also check your PC's power settings and make sure they are set for the most powerful setting (not balanced).  Good luck

1988016796_HQPsettingubuntu.thumb.jpg.2f9fb029ce8bf6e1e3d2b0e80cad22b4.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hello All,

My DSD 8 DAC suddenly fails to receive signals from my streamer. The round symbol keeps blinking. I switched in other streamers and the same thing happens. The last resort is sending the unit to T+A for a repair (they told me that the USB receiver needs a repair) but did anyone face this problem before? Quite disappointed....