IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

I had the same thought. They missed the best feature.

An interesting thing I have learned over the years regarding digital is that these magazines ignore "us end users" as they must propagate themselves as the experts. This is the second review of this DAC that makes reference to the best way people have reported listening to it, yet ignore the recommendations and listen to it the way they want and few who buy it will ever listen to it to the way the review it.

These magazines have become more of a catalog for newly released gadgets than serious reviews.

Actually pretty amazing since they didn't even review it the way most of us find best; with everything upsampled to DSD512

There are clear reasons for that... For example software companies rarely buy advertising on print media. In addition I for example don't have official US based distributor/resellers.

Overall major audiophile print medias largely try to pretend computers and software don't exist because they want to think everything in terms of hardware. As a result they try to pretend such possibility doesn't even exist. I'll draw a mark on the wall when some major audiophile print media even mentions existence of such possibility. :) I don't think computers, software and internet music streaming are going away, quite the opposite. Yes, I do realize AudioStream - their sister internet media is dedicated for such things. But somehow I feel AudioStream and InnerFidelity are kept distant in a way. If it's good or bad, I don't know. :)

To me, computers and software are audiophile components as much as a DAC or amp too!

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Will the T+A DAC8 and the Sound Galleries server be demonstrated at the upcoming RMAF audio show in Denver (Oct 7 - 9) ?

Didn't see it mentioned in the list of exhibitors.

Now that the SGM has been reviewed in Positive Feedback and there has been feedback from Users, and other people who have auditioned the unit, our feeing is that it's better to do home demonstrations rather than more shows.

http://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/sound-galleries-monaco-server-sgm2015/

The SGM is not inexpensive, and it takes a home demo or a good dealer setup to show what the SGM can bring to a system.

Tell us us what your system is, and we can discuss about either a home demo or a visit to a dealer

[email protected]

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

There are clear reasons for that... For example software companies rarely buy advertising on print media. In addition I for example don't have official US based distributor/resellers.

Overall major audiophile print medias largely try to pretend computers and software don't exist because they want to think everything in terms of hardware. As a result they try to pretend such possibility doesn't even exist. I'll draw a mark on the wall when some major audiophile print media even mentions existence of such possibility. :) I don't think computers, software and internet music streaming are going away, quite the opposite. Yes, I do realize AudioStream - their sister internet media is dedicated for such things. But somehow I feel AudioStream and InnerFidelity are kept distant in a way. If it's good or bad, I don't know. :)

To me, computers and software are audiophile components as much as a DAC or amp too!

I couldn't agree more. However, there was ONE (possibly two) issues of The Absolute Sound where they did some "objective" analysis of software. But in general you are indeed correct. Too bad for them as they miss the essence of the "Computer" Audiophile experience. To them (and many manufacturers) a player is a player, a computer a computer, etc

Rutherford Audio will be there (Marketplace), and they're the US distributor for T+A, so I'm assuming they'll have a DAC 8 DSD there.

--David

Rutherford had an unattended static demo of the T+A at AXPONA. I'll check to see if they have something more ambitious with the T+A at RMAF.

Overall major audiophile print medias largely try to pretend computers and software don't exist because they want to think everything in terms of hardware.

Actually they are afraid of being drawn into a market (mainstream computers and audio devices) where profit margins are so much lower than on the high end audio market. But this is inevitable as the digital signal path spreads along the playback chain and the sound quality differences decrease.

Claude

Not that I disagree, but I do not see what there is to be really afraid of. The only device it might eliminate is a CD player/transport. Beyond that it creates all sorts of fodder for reviewing.

Actually they are afraid of being drawn into a market (mainstream computers and audio devices) where profit margins are so much lower than on the high end audio market. But this is inevitable as the digital signal path spreads along the playback chain and the sound quality differences decrease.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Not that I disagree, but I do not see what there is to be really afraid of. The only device it might eliminate is a CD player/transport. Beyond that it creates all sorts of fodder for reviewing.

Sorry, my post wasn't clear. I was thinking of the high end hardware companies. They form a community of interests with the audio press (they buy ads, mags write favorable reviews). The magazines prefer a status quo where the consumer buys expensive dedicated audio gear (including for playback of music files) to an evolution where the computer industry and software geeks take over the processing of digital music data up to the DAC (which could be built into active speakers in the future, removing the need for seperate DAC, pre-amp, power amp).

Most hi-fi magazines are very reluctant to write about free or cheap playback solutions. If there is a $200 software player, they find a way of presenting it as a must for top sound.

Claude

Rutherford had an unattended static demo of the T+A at AXPONA. I'll check to see if they have something more ambitious with the T+A at RMAF.

Well, it'll be really disappointing if they don't have the DAC 8 DSD hooked up, at least to a decent headphone-based system.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Maybe... In many cases software products have much more expensive R&D, but retail price and margin is much lower. Through normal two level retail chain HQPlayer license for example would cost at least somewhere around 250€. Also the technical complexity of computers and software is much higher than traditional analog audio gear. Maybe HQPlayer will break even some day in future...

But I don't think digital signal path spreading more through the chain would make sound quality differences smaller, quite the contrary when it comes to DSP algorithms. The sound quality differences just move from hardware design to software design.

Windows or Mac OS of today is exponentially more complex than it was 20 years ago, same applies for audio software.

@EuroDriver will know about the SGMS, but Rutherford Audio will be there (Marketplace), and they're the US distributor for T+A, so I'm assuming they'll have a DAC 8 DSD there.

--David

It's going to be tight getting the DAC 8 DSD to RMAF. We are currently sold out and are arranging for more to come over. If anyone has connections in customs! I swear they have had it out for us. Everything is delayed 1-2 weeks coming from Europe lately.

It's going to be tight getting the DAC 8 DSD to RMAF. We are currently sold out and are arranging for more to come over. If anyone has connections in customs! I swear they have had it out for us. Everything is delayed 1-2 weeks coming from Europe lately.

I really hope you're able to have one set up there. I'd think there would be a whole lot of interest from RMAF attendees. I'm interested, for sure, and there doesn't seem to be a T+A dealer remotely near the metro DC area. Am I right in thinking that the closest one is in New Jersey?

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

I really hope you're able to have one set up there. I'd think there would be a whole lot of interest from RMAF attendees. I'm interested, for sure, and there doesn't seem to be a T+A dealer remotely near the metro DC area. Am I right in thinking that the closest one is in New Jersey?

--David

Thats correct. Gramophone however currently has a DAC 8 DSD that we sent them. A customer in their area was interested and we sent it to Gramophone for a demo. You can give Gramophone a call and set up a demo with them.

The DAC 8 DSD is in their columbia store.

Gramophone | See It. Hear It. Live It.

Thats correct. Gramophone however currently has a DAC 8 DSD that we sent them. A customer in their area was interested and we sent it to Gramophone for a demo. You can give Gramophone a call and set up a demo with them.

The DAC 8 DSD is in their columbia store.

Gramophone | See It. Hear It. Live It.

Ah, that's great! Thank you very much.

—David

Ah, that's great! Thank you very much.

—David

Actually, that customer was me. I have been in to listen to the PCM side since that was all that Gramaphone could demo and it sounded great. I am currently building a portable network to test HQPlayer upsampling to DSD512 with a Roon front end. If you want I can give you a message when I"m going over to test DSD out.

Yes, please. I'll PM you.

--David

Actually, that customer was me. I have been in to listen to the PCM side since that was all that Gramaphone could demo and it sounded great. I am currently building a portable network to test HQPlayer upsampling to DSD512 with a Roon front end. If you want I can give you a message when I"m going over to test DSD out.

Very cool! If you guys would be willing to take a photo when you go in, I'd love to put up on our Social Media about Computer Audiophiles coordinating to get the demo's they need.

You would be hard pressed to find a dealer who can support DSD 512. I'm currently upgrading my home PC so that if someone wants to demo a DAC 8 DSD at our office I would be capable of. Thats of course assuming we can keep our own demo DAC 8 DSD for longer than a few days.

Let me know what you build. If it's affordable I might be able to allocate a budget to build it and start bringing it to trade shows so that people can demo DSD 512 at shows.

I'll draw a mark on the wall when some major audiophile print media even mentions existence of such possibility.

I guess I have to do that now... :) I've today read the Stereophile's DAC8 DSD review and it actually spends one short paragraph to mention HQPlayer and upsampling to DSD512! <3 Thank you Jon Iverson!

As a side note, JA's measurements cover only half of the DAC - the PCM side.

Very interesting DAC and reports. I've been counting up what I could sell in order to justify acquiring one.

It seems as if a good tweaked PC and a direct USB connection to the DAC is currently needed to realise the potential benefits. I think I will wait for mR compatibility and see if that displaces (or lowers) the need for a fully tweaked computer. If so then this is the kind of kit I was thinking of:

Gigabyte BRIX Gaming UHD Mini-PC Review | KitGuru - Part 19

The GTX 950 is CUDA capable and would reduce the workload on the CPU. It isn't silent so it would sit in another room, run Roon Server and HQP and connect by Ethernet to the router and then the mR.

That's true!

The dac8dsd is very sensitive regarding power chords. Best results so far I got with the wireworld powerchord line. The soundstage is getting bigger and the Separationen between Instruments is better.

Also footers do make a difference. Best in my system are Cardas small myrtle Wood Blocks. Yes, just simple wood!

It's fun to try out different tweaks with this wonderfull Dac, because it reacts so audible.

Sorry, my post wasn't clear. I was thinking of the high end hardware companies. They form a community of interests with the audio press (they buy ads, mags write favorable reviews). The magazines prefer a status quo where the consumer buys expensive dedicated audio gear (including for playback of music files) to an evolution where the computer industry and software geeks take over the processing of digital music data up to the DAC (which could be built into active speakers in the future, removing the need for seperate DAC, pre-amp, power amp).

Most hi-fi magazines are very reluctant to write about free or cheap playback solutions. If there is a $200 software player, they find a way of presenting it as a must for top sound.

I could have expressed it better myself.

Unfortunately Hifi/Audio Magazines aren't providing an information and support service to the readers nor acting as independent industry referees, though they may have been at one point.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I could have expressed it better myself.

Unfortunately Hifi/Audio Magazines aren't providing an information and support service to the readers nor acting as independent industry referees, though they may have been at one point.

Long ago (the mid 1970s), The Absolute Sound accepted no advertising and served the purpose you are talking about. But they were unable to keep going on that basis. The "information" was opinionated and non-technical and so may not always have been objective, but it was tremendously entertaining. That contrasts to the present day where I find reviews formulaic and boring for the most part.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I was too young then, and I only started reading US magazines in the early 00's, online.

My entry into this world was through the words of What Hi-Fi?, in my late high-school years but after visiting a few dealers and my first show I moved on to better material from the UK and from France.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I'm looking for a little beginner's help.

I have downloaded the trial version of HQPlayer and its range of options are somewhat daunting to me. I have read through the manual and cannot see a way how I can try the millions of combinations of parameters to find out which one works best for me. I assume there's a lot of experience in this forum as to what works well.

What I would like to do is PCM to DSD512 conversion to the DAC8 DSD. I would really appreciate a short tutorial on how to do that.

If this is already in this thread, I am sorry I didn't scour all 50 pages. Then please just point me to the right post.