IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

The other option is to get something like what I got for my office but a cheaper version of Northwest Falcon TIKI that is small and very quiet (you hear a little fan noise when first starting HQP and silence after) and put a JCAT or SOTM USB card in or just run off the mobo into a regen or intona without any NAA; this option is similar to any CAPS or CAPS variant.

I have the Falcon Tiki bookmarked, and it's possible I'll end up going with some configuration of this. Thanks for bringing it to my attention; I haven't yet seen anything that looks like a more cost-effective option for using HQP to upsample to DSD512 (although I find it depressing that I haven't been able to come up with a Mac/Linux-based way to do this).

--David

The Falcon NW people are very good and the Tiki is an excellent build and excellent chassis. It is much quieter than I thought it was going to be. I needed a new desktop anyway and figured I would kill two birds with one stone and the Tiki surpassed my expectations. No need to go for the higher end chipset or the absurdly priced high end Intel chips. The i7 6700K works great for HQP and is actually their highest GHz chip. Like I said tiny bit of fan noise when upsampling a 44/16 to DSD 512 and then nothing.

My music server which is passively cooled, hence absolutely silent uses i7-4770T processor. This has TDP of 45W. After I enabled turbo boost and hyperthreading, DSD 512 upsampling with ASD7 and poly-sync-short-mp-2s is taking only 29-34% processor uses.

What is surprising that few days ago, I started upsampling to DSD 512 using poly-sync-short-mp which are significantly more processor hungry than -2s. But my music server is handling them with ease with no hiccup at all. Not just that, I am able to upsample to poly-sync-short-mp even the 24/96 recordings. I will check how much CPU is being used and report back.

So from my experience, you don't need to have a fan in your music server and use it next to your dac. No microRendu is required. I should mention that I am using Windows Server 2012 R2 with Audiophile Optimizer in minimal server mode.

I'm running a 4-core Intel Xeon E3-1241 @3.5ghz (at idle it's turbo-boosted to 3.81ghz). It has a TDP of 80 watts. It's running in a passively cooled case and is totally silent. I'm upsampling everything (44.1, 24/96, 24/192, DSD64, DSD128, DSD246) to DSD512 using poly-sync-short-mp-2s and ASDM7 and my CPU is running at 35%. I'll try the non-2s variant at some point to see how much more it needs.

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

I find it very surprising that people here do not care for the options and configurability that Lampizator offers. I've found that people here tend to jump at every tweak under the sun: OS optimization, SATA cables, linear power supplies, USB enhancement devices, NAA, every different software upsampling, USB & Ethernet cables etc. Compared to what's discussed on this forum daily, Lampizator's options are very few and very straightforward and allow you to pay for only what matters to you. Plus the ability to upgrade functionality in the DAC is certainly a plus in my eyes, though you're never forced to. Nor are you forced to roll tubes, etc.

I've got a Lampizator L4 DSD 256-Only DAC that I ordered balanced, with Duelund caps and remote/premium analog volume control. I use Roon & HQP upsampling, HQP NAA, running direct from the DAC into NCore 400 monoblocks and Mangepan 3.7i's. I've applied a lot of the tweaks I mentioned above to my system and it sounds so incredibly good now that I struggle to comprehend how something, anything, could be "streets and miles" better. But I've never heard a Lampi Big 7 nor the T+A DAC.

I was going to upgrade my Lampi from DSD256 to DSD512 (and I still might), but what I've read here has convinced me that I must hear that T+A in my home. There have been other products that many people went crazy for (the Auralic Vega and the microRendu in particular) that I didn't care for at all. As was the case with those products, I won't know how the T+A compares to what I know until I hear it in my system.

I wish there was a way for me to audition a T+A "demo" model at home, but I realize that the demand for the product is high and there aren't likely any units that are available for such a purpose. Does anyone have any updates on the availability of the DAC and a link to a dealer network?

Thanks,

Keith

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

What exactly do you mean when you say that installing Amanero's firmware on the T+A is "not easy"? Would it void the warranty on the T+A?

--David

Perhaps you are referring to me...I said it's not easy. Well, in the T+A DAC you don't do firmware upgrade through the usual USB socket, but - if I am not mistaken - through SYS, a system port. So I am not exactly sure what would be required...

If it's an unsupported update, not done through a T+A service shop, I believe it would void the warranty.

I find it very surprising that people here do not care for the options and configurability that Lampizator offers. I've found that people here tend to jump at every tweak under the sun: OS optimization, SATA cables, linear power supplies, USB enhancement devices, NAA, every different software upsampling, USB & Ethernet cables etc. Compared to what's discussed on this forum daily, Lampizator's options are very few and very straightforward and allow you to pay for only what matters to you. Plus the ability to upgrade functionality in the DAC is certainly a plus in my eyes, though you're never forced to. Nor are you forced to roll tubes, etc.

I've got a Lampizator L4 DSD 256-Only DAC that I ordered balanced, with Duelund caps and remote/premium analog volume control. I use Roon & HQP upsampling, HQP NAA, running direct from the DAC into NCore 400 monoblocks and Mangepan 3.7i's. I've applied a lot of the tweaks I mentioned above to my system and it sounds so incredibly good now that I struggle to comprehend how something, anything, could be "streets and miles" better. But I've never heard a Lampi Big 7 nor the T+A DAC.

I was going to upgrade my Lampi from DSD256 to DSD512 (and I still might), but what I've read here has convinced me that I must hear that T+A in my home. There have been other products that many people went crazy for (the Auralic Vega and the microRendu in particular) that I didn't care for at all. As was the case with those products, I won't know how the T+A compares to what I know until I hear it in my system.

I wish there was a way for me to audition a T+A "demo" model at home, but I realize that the demand for the product is high and there aren't likely any units that are available for such a purpose. Does anyone have any updates on the availability of the DAC and a link to a dealer network?

Thanks,

Keith

Hi Keith.

Just different strokes. I am sure the Lampi products are extremely good. Some like myself, the older I get, don't want to enter the upgrade merry-go-round. I also understand why many would like all the options and upgrades and direct access to the manufacturer that is afforded the purchaser by Lampizator. Knowing me, if I were to get a Lampi, I would just go to the page and say "give me everything" because I can't take all the choices and this is best if..... and that is best if ......

I have no clue if the T&A is better than your Lampi. But if you got a T&A to demo that is the model you would buy if you liked it. If I got a Lampi to demo it would be one of many combinations leading me to wonder "how do I know this is the best for me" or if I didn't like it on an endless search for the right combo only to be faced with a new combo or upgrade in a few weeks or months. No right answer just different perspectives.

Lastly, Ed of SoundGalleries, who was one of the first to jump on the bandwagon of the T&A because of the great sound he was getting from it in combination with his server was interested in my thoughts compared to my main DAC, an MSB Diamond Plus IV which is now a Diamond V with a Quad USB ( I had the former for 3 1/2 years before there was a new model to upgrade to if you were wondering) and while I think the T&A is a wonderful product when set up properly IMHO the MSB is in a different league. The point being is in the end it is preference, taste, budget and goals. Regardless of what many believe, much of this crazy hobby of ours is tinkering and upgrading as well as listening and everyone has their own tolerance for one versus to the other.

Howie

My music server which is passively cooled, hence absolutely silent uses i7-4770T processor. This has TDP of 45W. After I enabled turbo boost and hyperthreading, DSD 512 upsampling with ASD7 and poly-sync-short-mp-2s is taking only 29-34% processor uses.

What is surprising that few days ago, I started upsampling to DSD 512 using poly-sync-short-mp which are significantly more processor hungry than -2s. But my music server is handling them with ease with no hiccup at all. Not just that, I am able to upsample to poly-sync-short-mp even the 24/96 recordings. I will check how much CPU is being used and report back.

So from my experience, you don't need to have a fan in your music server and use it next to your dac. No microRendu is required. I should mention that I am using Windows Server 2012 R2 with Audiophile Optimizer in minimal server mode.

I think I might have the same processor laying around and could put it to good use but the consensus here has been that you at least need i7 6700K to do DSD512. Could you list what kind of power supply and case are you using i7-4770T ?

I think I might have the same processor laying around and could put it to good use but the consensus here has been that you at least need i7 6700K to do DSD512. Could you list what kind of power supply and case are you using i7-4770T ?

My server has a i7 6700 (no "K"). It upsamples anything to DSD256 easily, especially after the filters and algorithms have been loaded. I'm hoping it can similarly handle DSD512, because my motherboard can't accommodate the i7 6700K.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

To everyone who wishes they could use the microRendu at > DSD128 with their T+A (or other DAC with a Windows-based USB interface), I strongly recommend that you at least try using the free HQP NAA Daemon application running on Windows.

I understand the principle that the NAA should be as low level as possible and that running an NAA on a Windows OS would seem to defeat its purpose, but I propose that the benefit of isolating the DAC from the server that's busy with heavy DSP/Upsampling by any means outweighs these concerns. Best of all, it's both free and easy to try out on a preliminary basis.

All I did was connect my general purpose laptop (running the HQP NAA Daemon app) to my Lampizator/Amanero DAC. I wasn't initially looking for the best sound quality. I just wanted to see if/how it worked. But even that yielded an immediate improvement sonic improvement. After that, I experimented some more and landed on a much more permanent and "audiophile" arrangement (with a dedicated, optimized Windows PC as my NAA).

I consider an NAA to be essential. I would definitely not let the Windows/Linux issue prevent me from having one. To everyone raving about how good the T+A sounds when connected directly to the upsampling server, I'd bet that it can sound even better still.

I am using Teradak ATX 275 linear psu with Streacom FC10 case with my i7 4770T. I just ran a test to see CPU consumption:

Redbook -> DSD 512, poly-sync-short-mp-2s DSD7 => CPU 32%

Redbook -> DSD 512, poly-sync-short-mp ASD5 => CPU 37%

Redbook -> DSD 512, poly-sync-short-mp ASD7 => CPU 38%

24/96 -> DSD 512, poly-sync-short-mp ASD7 => CPU 40%

My server has a i7 6700 (no "K"). It upsamples anything to DSD256 easily, especially after the filters and algorithms have been loaded. I'm hoping it can similarly handle DSD512, because my motherboard can't accommodate the i7 6700K.

The Non-K is working fine for me.

Uptone JS-2 -> Streacom FC-9 i7-6700

FullSizeRender.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28690[/ATTACH]

That's great to know! Thanks for your reply.

+1 I have met Lukasz on several occasions and am sure he is the real deal. As is Lampizator. However.....I, like many, tend to shy away from a company that has soooo many models and constant upgrades and options. Why? Howie's tinkerer issues notwithstanding, I am scared that the market price of a Lampi deflates every time a new option or model is introduced (which is every 3 months it seems). Although I don't look at resale vale as THE number one concern (sound is) it is a real buyers issue when it's time to shell out the cash, especially in a digital world where market maturation is nowhere near. Amps? Speakers? Not a big deal.

2 comments:

Not everyone buying a Dac that costs $4 or $5 or $10k is going to be looking to upgrade after that.

To his credit, Lukasz does give 100% trade in value if you upgrade to a more expensive model.So as long as you like Lampi you don't have to worry about the Dac losing value. Of course that is irrelevant if you just want to sell one.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 comments:

Not everyone buying a Dac that costs $4 or $5 or $10k is going to be looking to upgrade after that.

To his credit, Lukasz does give 100% trade in value if you upgrade to a more expensive model.So as long as you like Lampi you don't have to worry about the Dac losing value. Of course that is irrelevant if you just want to sell one.

I am sure Lukasz is upstanding and stands behind his products as is obvious by all the happy customers who love his products. It is different strokes for different folks. Personally, I get turned off looking at his website with all the options and models; news ones pop up all the time as I see on WBF. I know as a customer I would be pissed off to see an upgrade to a DAC I just bought that I would need to box up and ship back with the many upgrades Lukasz makes either on the same model or replacing with a different one regardless of him giving me full credit. I was down that path with a speaker manufacturer and it really did piss me.

Personally, I like some stability (while I do understand a product is ultimately going to be upgraded) in the equipment I buy. I think we all understand there is a huge segment of the audiophile population who enjoys the tinkering and upgrade thing that Lukasz offers.

I am sure Lukasz is upstanding and stands behind his products as is obvious by all the happy customers who love his products. It is different strokes for different folks. Personally, I get turned off looking at his website with all the options and models; news ones pop up all the time as I see on WBF. I know as a customer I would be pissed off to see an upgrade to a DAC I just bought that I would need to box up and ship back with the many upgrades Lukasz makes either on the same model or replacing with a different one regardless of him giving me full credit. I was down that path with a speaker manufacturer and it really did piss me.

Personally, I like some stability (while I do understand a product is ultimately going to be upgraded) in the equipment I buy. I think we all understand there is a huge segment of the audiophile population who enjoys the tinkering and upgrade thing that Lukasz offers.

Agree completely....one other company that appears to cycle through it's product line too frequently for my tastes is Shunyata. Quite (very) high cost electrical devices, chords and distribution boxes while the line gets refreshed often leaving the purchaser with a second gen product too early in their time of ownership. I understand the eternal need to revise, improve and upgrade but offering some level of price protection and continuity to the customer should be paramount.

Agree completely....one other company that appears to cycle through it's product line too frequently for my tastes is Shunyata. Quite (very) high cost electrical devices, chords and distribution boxes while the line gets refreshed often leaving the purchaser with a second gen product too early in their time of ownership. I understand the eternal need to revise, improve and upgrade but offering some level of price protection and continuity to the customer should be paramount.

There are many that do this unfortunately. I guess they see a customer in this shrinking customer base as one they can rotate on the upgrade merry-go-round. I understand there is a lifecycle but some of these companies are off the wall with how short their cycles are.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28690[/ATTACH]

Hi,

I have also a server with an I7 6700 "non K" and I can up-sample all to DSD512 using HQPlayer using the -2 filters. With the normal "non -2" filters (poly-sinc for example), I have stuttering. It is strange because the CPU load is around 45%

Hi,

I have also a server with an I7 6700 "non K" and I can up-sample all to DSD512 using HQPlayer using the -2 filters. With the normal "non -2" filters (poly-sinc for example), I have stuttering. It is strange because the CPU load is around 45%

Hi,

as Miska explained elsewhere, HQPlayer can't use the virtual cores to full extend.

That means, 45% load equal almost 90% of load, so you are right on the edge with your CPU.

As a HQ rule of thumb, roughly multiply the percentage by 2 and you arrive at the actual load.

FYI, in my CAPS I use a 1271v3 with 3,6Ghz, 3,9Ghz turbo and 80W TDP. I can upsample everything except DSD to DSD512 with the non -2s filters including room correction.

Caveat is, my HDPlex PSU gets very hot as it's operating on it's limit.

Consultant to Taiko Audio

Hi,

as Miska explained elsewhere, HQPlayer can't use the virtual cores to full extend.

That means, 45% load equal almost 90% of load, so you are right on the edge with your CPU.

As a HQ rule of thumb, roughly multiply the frequency by 2 and you arrive at the actual load.

FYI, in my CAPS I use a 1271v3 with 3,6Ghz, 3,9Ghz turbo and 80W TDP. I can upsample everything except DSD to DSD512 with the non -2s filters including room correction.

Caveat is, my HDPlex PSU gets very hot as it's operating on it's limit.

OK, thank you, it's more clear now :-)

When using the "-2" filters, the CPU load is around 25% wich is quite good (so around 50% following your explanation). The CPU temp is around 55C wich is quite good also. I use a i7 6700 "non K" because my music server is fan less and the TDP of this Skylake is only 65W