IGNORED

Article: A Quick Spin With The RoonReady Sonore Sonicorbiter SE

Very interesting product, and I would be really interested in a comparison between Sonicorbiter's and other device's sonic qualities ...

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

Nice write-up, Chris.

The SonicOrbiter SE is indeed out of stock at the moment (obviously, because I wanted to purchase one), but Jesus R said he hoped he would have some this week.

Anyone who's interested in using the SOSE or microRendu as an HQPlayer NAA should be sure to check out this thread in Sonore's forum:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonore-sonicorbiter-se-native-direct-stream-digital-support-27418/

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Suppose someone has (or had) a Sonos system and liked several aspects of that system, in particular:

very easy navigation of the library

easy access to the control interface through the old remote devices

single-box amp and interface

ability to group zones

ability to label zones and see what is happening on the system at any given time

Do you see devices like this getting to that point where they are a legit equivalent offering for whole-house audio, and also providing the ability to stream the HD audio that isn't offered through the Sonos system?

I ask because my Sonos is now over a decade old and some of the devices are starting to become unreliable. I can double down on the Sonos, but I'd prefer to bring my listening room into the fold by eliminating the CAPSv2 in there and moving to something like this throughout the house. Then, use Jriver on the media server and feed to all the rooms as needed. Could use the microRendu in the listening room, and the SOse in the rest of the house.

Too bad there isn't a model with a built-in amp... something coming for that maybe?

---Michael

Server ---> Rpi ---> Audiophilleo2 ---> Metrum Octave ---> Audio Horizons Pre ---> Pass Labs XA30.5 ---> Sonus Faber Liuto Towers

Computer ---> Audio Hardware ---> Air ---> Ears ---> Brain

Suppose someone has (or had) a Sonos system and liked several aspects of that system, in particular:

very easy navigation of the library

easy access to the control interface through the old remote devices

single-box amp and interface

ability to group zones

ability to label zones and see what is happening on the system at any given time

Do you see devices like this getting to that point where they are a legit equivalent offering for whole-house audio, and also providing the ability to stream the HD audio that isn't offered through the Sonos system?

I ask because my Sonos is now over a decade old and some of the devices are starting to become unreliable. I can double down on the Sonos, but I'd prefer to bring my listening room into the fold by eliminating the CAPSv2 in there and moving to something like this throughout the house. Then, use Jriver on the media server and feed to all the rooms as needed. Could use the microRendu in the listening room, and the SOse in the rest of the house.

Too bad there isn't a model with a built-in amp... something coming for that maybe?

---Michael

I think this and Roon/Roon Ready devices could definitely do what you want. I'm sure some type of good quality all in one with amp is coming along that could do it. In fact this device can also do it, with Roon, or LMS.

In fact I just read today about the new Raspberry Pi 3 model that can be equipped with a DAC board and an amp board and is Roon ready. You could affordably put one of those in multiple rooms:

IQaudIO introduce Roon Ready Raspberry Pi DAC, amplifier | DAR__KO

Raspberry Pi Audio - IQaudIO Limited

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-on-sale/

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I think this and Roon/Roon Ready devices could definitely do what you want. I'm sure some type of good quality all in one with amp is coming along that could do it. In fact this device can also do it, with Roon, or LMS.

In fact I just read today about the new Raspberry Pi 3 model that can be equipped with a DAC board and an amp board and is Roon ready. You could affordably put one of those in multiple rooms:

Firedog,

Yes! I was thinking of the Pi's a bit when I asked this.

I've not looked into this too much, but I don't use Roon, so I'd be more interested in the ability to render from JRiver primarily (using JRemote as the interface, with JRiver on my main server in the closet).

Can I put together a Pi device with an built-in amp and have it function like a Sonos Connect:Amp in that it has volume controls, zone grouping, etc? I'm thinking it can, but I need to do a bit more research to verify.

The SonicOrbiterSE looks like it will do it as well, minus the DAC and amp, so it would function like the Sonos Connect somewhat (but even that had a DAC in it).

The mini-Aires is probably closer to the Sonos Connect, but at that price, no thanks.

---Michael

Server ---> Rpi ---> Audiophilleo2 ---> Metrum Octave ---> Audio Horizons Pre ---> Pass Labs XA30.5 ---> Sonus Faber Liuto Towers

Computer ---> Audio Hardware ---> Air ---> Ears ---> Brain

Thanks for the heads up, one of these babies + Roon sounds like a game changer, and all for 50 bucks!

Chris, thank you for doing this mini review. Please allow me to provide some additional information.

The Sonicorbiter operating system is a collaboration between Sonore by Simple Design and Small Green Computer. Andrew writes all the control software from scratch. It's my job to perform quality control on all releases and updates. We work together on updates and new fixes. The software is hardware specific, but we try to keep as much in common between all the platforms.

While hardware is based on a Cubox, we have opted to include better power supplies with the unit. The base unit includes a linear supply for use in North America. The iPower power supply is offered as an upgrade for an additional 49 USD for use world wide.

When using RoonReady with hardware volume control your device needs to support this function or Roon will not enable the unit for playback. An example of a device that supports hardware volume control is an Audio Quest Dragonfly. In this example, selecting the hardware volume control bypasses software volume control in Roon and uses the Audio Quest Dragonfly's volume control in the analog domain.

In regards to the optical output we have sourced a 90 degree adapter that allows for a better connection and use of your own optical cable.

The Windows event is rather strange and only appears to affect one Sonore customer in addition to Chris. The Roon guys were finally able to reproduce the event after trying a number of Windows based computers. The fix is being tested and will be released soon per Roon.

I've been using the Sonicorbiter SE's UPnP/DLNA capabilities to stream gapless FLAC from a Synology NAS with MinimServer to a couple of different DACs (Schiit's Bifrost Multibit and Bel Canto's C7R), controlled by BubbleUPnP on various Android devices. Perfect operation every time, makes the common woes of UPnP/DLNA alluded to go away. Great little device, saved me from wasting even more time debugging a standard Linux audio distro on another CuBox. I'm using Bel Canto mLink USB>S/PDIF converters and Nordost Blue Haven cables between the streamer and the DACs at the moment to reduce noise/jitter, I can't wait to see how the microRendu might do without a need for separate converters.

The Sonicorbiter operating system is a collaboration between Sonore by Simple Design and Small Green Computer. Andrew writes all the control software from scratch. It's my job to perform quality control on all releases and updates. We work together on updates and new fixes. The software is hardware specific, but we try to keep as much in common between all the platforms.

Have you (or SGC) considered bundling the microRendu with the microJukebox in order to support Roon Server?

The (amazing) Roon team has found the solution for the Windows streaming problem to RoonReady devices (Aries and SonicOrbiter SE). It will be out in the next Roon release - no firmware update required on the devices themselves.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Hey Chris,

No challenge here, just curiosity, but how did you setup your system to come to this conclusion?

Joel

Hi Joel - No worries, and good question.

I setup five different computers as Roon servers to send audio to the Sonicorbiter SE.

1. Windows 8.1 noisy, non-tweaked (hardware or software) PC with 6TB spinning drives of local storage.

2. Windows 2012 R2 server SOtM / AO server with highly tweaker hardware and software.

3. OS X El Capitan MacBook Pro

4. OS X El Capitan / Windows 10 (Boot Camp) MacBook Pro retina

5. OS X El Capitan iMac 5K

I couldn't hear a hint of difference between the sources when sending audio over Ethernet to the RoonReady Sonicorbiter SE. This combined with the fact I have no idea how the source could possibly effect the sound of the Ethernet endpoint in this situation, lead me to believe the source has no effect on sound quality.

Note: I completely respect the opinions of others who will try similar tests as more RoonReady endpoints become available. In addition, my conclusion here has absolutely nothing to do with locally attached server / DAC combinations not using audio over Ethernet.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Very interesting Chris about no audible diff. b/w all the computers. I was very curious about this, in theory then, one could save a ton of money on tweaked computers w. lps, cables and such. Spend the money on the renderer, and a native DSD dac no?

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.