IGNORED

2016 Dead pool

I clearly don't subscribe to Tidal*, but not because I have technical objections, I just really don't like Jay Z and I am not a fan of a great deal of the music they promote.

(*I did subscribe for a month.)

On the other paw, while not lossless, I cannot hear a difference between streamed FLAC files from Tidal, and streamed AAC files from Apple. And Apple Music has a much larger catalog to choose from. For me at least, Apple Music works better than Tidal. YMMV! :)

Did you ever hook up a Sonos Connect to a decent DAC and listen to Redbook material? It makes at least as good a source for that as JRMC or iTunes. In my book, as good as any of the more expensive streamers on the market, but again, YMMV! Admittedly, the Sonos speakers are not what I would call "high end" - but their streaming is, as long as you restrict the source material to CD quality.

I really love JRMC myself, especially since it is trivial to transcode even CD quality files to DSD128. Which is my favorite thing to do depending upon the DAC I am using. (grin) Also, JRMC certainly does sound better when playing hi-res or DSD files than a Sono's, but that is at least partly because Sonos won't stream hi-res at this time. Perhaps they never will.

-Paul

I would prefer Tidal over Apple Music. While Jay Z may not be a role model. Apple as a business is far more shady.

As far as I know there is no alternative for Tidal.

Ontopic:

DSD will fade into obscurity following the SACD

Donald Trump will make a fool of himself

China will have a financial crisis which will result in the global stock markets going down

Even though school/public shootings will continue the red necks/hillbilly's will prevent stricter gun laws.

Tax evasion laws will get stricter

Trickle down economics will continue to fail, rich becoming richer poor will get more poor. More working poor.

[br]

...It's great, because I can legally try music on my good system that's new to me without any monetary loss if I don't like it.

I agree the ability to check out new music without any monetary loss is a plus. However, I not only must consider the monthly cost of Tidal but also I would have to switch to a fast internet service with a monthly charge.

Currently, I use free wi-fi internet supplied by my apartment complex. If I watch too many YouTubes or download too many high resolution music files, my service slows down for several days. There seems to be a time/data cap. Surely, Tidal's lossless high resolution streaming uses a lot of data.

If my free wi-fi internet ever goes away, I will go back to using the internet at the library.

Probably not related but based on some of the CSI:Cyber episodes I've watched I have quit purchasing anything online, so all of my new music purchases (SACD, CD, Blu-ray, etc.) will be in person, in town. Also CSI:Cyber has furthered my resolve to never purchase a cell phone, to never join any social media, perhaps even being on the internet at home is risky, despite the firewall.

Since I'm no longer downloading music, my free internet has been very fast, so I am happy.

P.S. I don't believe in paying a monthly charge for the internet, TV, music or rentals. I use an antenna for HDTV and I check out music and movies at the library.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

DSD, Atmos. Might take longer than 2016.

...DSD will fade into obscurity following the SACD...

People have been predicting the death of SACD since it premiered in 1999, it has found its niche with classical, jazz and audiophile remastered rock. I believe DSD will also find its niche. I love both SACD discs and DSD downloads and believe I will die before before either SACD or DSD dies.

I have an excellent collection of both SACDs and DSD downloads so if they do die before I do, it won't affect me much. Many dead formats sound great.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

SACD may die eventually as an alternative purchased PCM, but DSD gets stronger by the day in no small part from intrepid designers such as Miska/Signalyst. Just look at the HQPlayer threads as exemplification. A niche surely, but an avid following from often experienced and/or serious users willing to expend the effort. From what I have seen, it is the user base that drives longevity. 20 years ago people said vinyl was a dead format, and yet whenever someone finds out I am into Audio, 2 out of 3 will ask if I have a turntable.

People have been predicting the death of SACD since it premiered in 1999, it has found its niche with classical, jazz and audiophile remastered rock. I believe DSD will also find its niche. I love both SACD discs and DSD downloads and believe I will die before before either SACD or DSD dies.

I have an excellent collection of both SACDs and DSD downloads so if they do die before I do, it won't affect me much. Many dead formats sound great.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Axent Wear Cat Ear Headphones. The start-up, composed of 2 young U.C. Berkeley grads, raised well over $3 million for these. The final product started shipping 3 months ago. I have this uncanny intuition that the product will quickly disappear. You can grab a pair at Brookstone for $129.99.

"Enjoy your music privately—or turn on the cat ear speakers to share with friends

LED accent lights on cat ear speakers and earcups make a statement anywhere

Speakers and lights are controlled independently

Over-the-ear cushioning for noise reduction and a secure fit

USB rechargeable—up to 5 hours of playing time per charge

Detachable gaming boom mic

Inline volume control plus forward & back buttons"

990635p.jpg

catheadphones.jpg

http://http://axentwear.tumblr.com/

Axent Wear Cat Ear Headphones. The start-up, composed of 2 young U.C. Berkeley grads, raised well over $3 million for these. The final product started shipping 3 months ago. I have this uncanny intuition that the product will quickly disappear. You can grab a pair at Brookstone for $129.99.

I'm sure they sound pretty s*** ... but they do look cool!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

SACD may die eventually as an alternative [to] purchased PCM, but DSD gets stronger by the day in no small part from intrepid designers such as Miska/Signalyst. Just look at the HQPlayer threads as exemplification.

I think this is right on the mark. I've been listening to a fair number of DSD albums since I got the Mytek DAC, but now that I can listen to PCM (including Tidal) and DSD upsampled to DSD128 using my choice of HQPlayer filters, that's what I do, and it'll take something truly extraordinary to get me to move in a different direction.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

If modeled after Hello Kitty they might survive.

"Enjoy your music privately—or turn on the cat ear speakers to share with friends

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23182[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23183[/ATTACH]

Forrest:

Axent Wear Cat Ear Headphones. The start-up, composed of 2 young U.C. Berkeley grads, raised well over $3 million for these. The final product started shipping 3 months ago. I have this uncanny intuition that the product will quickly disappear.

Cat ears, for reasons I don't understand at all, are very popular in geographic areas and among groups where J-pop and K-pop hold sway. So while these might not go over so well in, say, Mississippi, I believe they could be very popular (at least in the short term) in East Asia.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Cat ears, for reasons I don't understand at all, are very popular in geographic areas and among groups where J-pop and K-pop hold sway. So while these might not go over so well in, say, Mississippi, I believe they could be very popular (at least in the short term) in East Asia.

--David

There are some weird trends in East Asia, anyone for a bagel forehead?

images.jpg

Jim

Eewww! Is that some sort of implant?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23185[/ATTACH]

Forrest:

Make mine garlic.

--David

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23182[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23183[/ATTACH]

Want!

Only thing giving me pause is the independent control of lights and sound. Would love it it they were in synch.

David

Netflix may finally give up on physical discs this year and becoming streaming only company.

I hope you're wrong. I subscribe to both Netflix discs and streaming. Only 10 or 15% of the movies available on disc are also available via streaming.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

I hope you're wrong. I subscribe to both Netflix discs and streaming. Only 10 or 15% of the movies available on disc are also available via streaming.

+1. Netflix streaming is good for binge watching "TV" series or the occasional impulse movie, but if it's a movie I really want to see, I much prefer watching the Blu-ray.

--David

As the current crop of audiophiles ages out of the market, the upcoming batch (the head-fi crowd) will take over. Their M.O. is to audition gear at local meetups, not stuffy dealers that profile younger people as having no money. This will lead to the dealers all going under. It may not be in 2016 but soon.

If I am anything, I am a music lover and a pragmatist.

None of this is all that surprising, given that the web based and the Tidal "app" are both implementations of Java and Microsoft sound libraries which were never meant to be "audiophile" quality. I have to admit, I am somewhat suspect of any other solution given that Tidal relies on these sorts of implementations for DRM - are you sure the Kodi/Audirvana implementation bypassing these Java libraries?

Tidal streams plain FLAC, I know because I can play streams straight from the Tidal server using my own software.

I believe Tidal has the survival strength as long as they keep their system open as they have been so far. As a result there are many software and hardware products supporting it and you don't need to stick to any one particular implementation to use it.

I'm pretty sure they will go out fast if they begin to close down the system. Using closed system like MQA worries me.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers