IGNORED

Poll: How much do you spend on music purchases?

How much do you spend on average per month on music? (USD or equivalent in local currency, anonymous  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just spent again a lot of money at Qobuz, desperately trying to keep them from going bust :-)

That got me thinking, how much people here spend on music. I know this forum is more focused on hardware, but with a few exceptions, I'd guess pretty much everybody here actually cares about music as well. I may create another poll on how much you spend on hardware vs. content, or feel free to comment.

So, how much do you spend in an average month on music, no matter whether it's downloads, CD, SACDs, BlueRays, you name it. If you have a streaming subscription, feel free to count that expense in.

I spend *considerably* more than $100 / month, and have done for 30+ years. I have a lot of music :/

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Yes same here, very much in excess of the 100 per month. My main buying habits soon adds up and comes from a monthly Tidal subscription; Quobuz, HiResAudio, and HDTracks downloads; and purchases of physical content direct on Internet, mainly using Amazon.

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

4 votes out of 155 views? Guys, I'm afraid we're getting a very biased sample here.

Please everybody participate, the poll is fully anonymous.

That said, I'm happy there are music lovers out there that spend even more than me. For me it is on average €50-100 on downloads plus the €20 for Qobuz Sublime.

4 votes out of 155 views? Guys, I'm afraid we're getting a very biased sample here.

Please everybody participate, the poll is fully anonymous.

That said, I'm happy there are music lovers out there that spend even more than me. For me it is on average €50-100 on downloads plus the €20 for Qobuz Sublime.

Poll is not anonymous, which is probably affecting your participation.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Musicophile: All I have to do is click on the number of people who have voted for a particular level, and all the names show up. Hmmm....

Anyway, Tidal gets $20/month from me and has been a great value. Works for my budget. I already have more music in my collection than I can listen to in a year, so I'm trying hard to limit additional purchases. But if I could afford it, I'd be spending $50-$100 per month.

I'm also trying to sort out a nice, reasonably priced headfi rig, so that has financial priority over music purchases.

Musicophile: All I have to do is click on the number of people who have voted for a particular level, and all the names show up. Hmmm....

Anyway, Tidal gets $20/month from me and has been a great value. Works for my budget. I already have more music in my collection than I can listen to in a year, so I'm trying hard to limit additional purchases. But if I could afford it, I'd be spending $50-$100 per month.

I'm also trying to sort out a nice, reasonably priced headfi rig, so that has financial priority over music purchases.

Thanks, I screwed it up then. Let me check with Chris if he can fix it or if I need to set up a new poll.

I checked the $50 - $100, which includes Tidal and Berlin Philharmonic Digital Concert Hall Subscription.

This may be self evident, but you should change your description to "recorded music" as opposed to "live music".

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

I checked the $50 - $100, which includes Tidal and Berlin Philharmonic Digital Concert Hall Subscription.

This may be self evident, but you should change your description to "recorded music" as opposed to "live music".

I was hoping that the thread title that speaks about "purchase" makes that clear. I suppose you rarely purchase a live concert (the only time I did was at my wedding).

Big deal, who cares if someone can see how others voted. Nothing to hide or worry about. In fact, if I could have voted for less than 0, I would have, considering I've not bought any new music for over the past year and in fact sold some hard copies. Have too much music as it stands, enough for a few lifetimes, streaming, who needs it?

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Big deal, who cares if someone can see how others voted. Nothing to hide or worry about. In fact, if I could have voted for less than 0, I would have, considering I've not bought any new music for over the past year and in fact sold some hard copies. Have too much music as it stands, enough for a few lifetimes, streaming, who needs it?

I've nevertheless sent a PM to Chris C to check if the poll can be changed, as I'd like this to be as representative as possible, as I'm seriously interested in the answer.

I was hoping that the thread title that speaks about "purchase" makes that clear. I suppose you rarely purchase a live concert (the only time I did was at my wedding).

Oh, I can nitpick this to death: you "purchase" tickets to live performances. :-)

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

I hardly ever buy new CDs, mostly used ones from Amazon Marketplace at around £2-3 + shipping.

I've never bought a music file (or plan to do so in the near future).

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

For me, about $60-80 per month exclusively on downloads.

I do not have any streaming services as I spend too much time in places with poor internet, but one day I am sure that I will succumb. I do pay for a Spotify Premium for my daughter as a recurring Xmas present. For her it is essential to have streaming to iPhone and Mac.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star